• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey there, guys! You know it's funny, I've been thinking about Ray MK III and I think he might have a shot in the epic fan game, Super Smash Flash 2. Why do I think this? Well, take a look at this:

Skip to 11:38 for a surprise! (and the reason I think Ray MK III may be playable in SSF2.)

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
So I was at my local game retailer the other day, and they always have a selection of "products of the week" where they put up a couple of select DVDS, CDS and video games on display right in front of the store. And you know what was selected this week? Custom robo for the gamecube.
There is a Ray fan among us!

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Not to start baseless conjecture, but you know how they are saying that a Canadian Nintendo employee "hinted" at Rayman being a playable character? Is it possible he meant Ray from Custom Robo and he just added the "man" part because of the Rayman trophy and the fact that there are 2 other "man" characters already (Mega Man and Pac Man)?

Then again I COULD be just over-analyzing the situation again.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't think that employee had any idea what they were talking about, much like JC. :4dedede:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I don't think that employee had any idea what they were talking about, much like JC. :4dedede:
Yeah, I'm guessing I'm just over-analyzing stuff again.

I just REALLY want Ray to be in Smash 4 as a playable character. The series had 5 games over the course of 7-8 years. I feel like that REALLY should warrant the series getting a playable character.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah, I'm guessing I'm just over-analyzing stuff again.

I just REALLY want Ray to be in Smash 4 as a playable character. The series had 5 games over the course of 7-8 years. I feel like that REALLY should warrant the series getting a playable character.
I know the feeling. I think Ray and the Custom Robo mechanics just have so, so, so much to offer. Not to mention it would give us enough momentum to get another game. The Wii U would be great for another console experience.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
If gameb0ybryan is okay with it, we can all try to raise awareness for the petition over whatever sites we're involved in (Reddit, Youtube, Twitter, etc.) with posts, comments and content (as long as we don't spam).

And while we wait for the vid, remember:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I can't wait to see the video in its final form! I bet it'll be VERY good (and will help educate the masses on what Custom Robo is)! :)

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I notice that with the sudden disappearance of @ gameb0ybryan gameb0ybryan this thread is a bit silent. Hopefully he's only disappeared because of internet problems and not anything too serious. I know we're all hoping he is okay, however he hasn't been on for about a week so we should keep this thread active, to continue spreading the word of Ray.

So lets start a discussion.
This is probably the only place where Custom Robo fans are amassed so lets discuss subjects relating to CR and Smash. If you have a specific question or statement you want to make you can now. Otherwise we can talk about already brought up topics like: SuperSmashFlash(smashkirby), a WiiU/3DS CR game and what it would be like, Movesets or special mechanics for Ray in Smash, or ideas for a Ray reveal trailer.
Remember guys, speculation is fun!

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I notice that with the sudden disappearance of @ gameb0ybryan gameb0ybryan

So lets start a discussion.
This is probably the only place where Custom Robo fans are amassed so lets discuss subjects relating to CR and Smash. If you have a specific question or statement you want to make you can now. Otherwise we can talk about already brought up topics like: SuperSmashFlash(smashkirby), a WiiU/3DS CR game and what it would be like, Movesets or special mechanics for Ray in Smash, or ideas for a Ray reveal trailer.
Remember guys, speculation is fun!
I've been wondering how Ray would move in Smash. Shining Fighters have air dashes as opposed to aerial jumps like Aerial Beauties and the rest of the Smash Bros. cast. However, Ray Mk III as an assist trophy could move upwards somehow. So, how would it work for Ray if he was a playable character? Would Ray be the odd one out in the sense that his mid air jumps give a ton of horizontal movement but not vertical movement? Or would he just get a normal aerial jump like all of the other characters?

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Seems like a cool trip. Hope you had a lot of R&R

I've been wondering how Ray would move in Smash. Shining Fighters have air dashes as opposed to aerial jumps like Aerial Beauties and the rest of the Smash Bros. cast. However, Ray Mk III as an assist trophy could move upwards somehow. So, how would it work for Ray if he was a playable character? Would Ray be the odd one out in the sense that his mid air jumps give a ton of horizontal movement but not vertical movement? Or would he just get a normal aerial jump like all of the other characters?
It would be cool if he could do really long sideways jumps, and float a bit on his thrusters. It would make him really interesting and unique. I wonder though if something like that messes with the way Smash is played or if it would make Ray a difficult character to recover. Maybe if he had greater directional control.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice

So apparently, the Dragon gun is a weapon for the mii gunner.
Wo0t!
Surely, you jest. And if you ain't, pics or it never happened.

Edit, pic never loaded for me, so I'm sorry I doubted you. That's pretty cool! While not really indicative of anything, it's nice to see SOME form of acknowledgement this far.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
PLEASE LET THIS BE REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait, where did you get this pic?! Is it really from the Mii Fighter?! If it is, maybe Ray is playable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The pic is a leak from the upcoming Corocoro.If anything, I think it may end up being a strike against Ray for taking one of his potential moves. But still, you never know!

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
PLEASE LET THIS BE REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait, where did you get this pic?! Is it really from the Mii Fighter?! If it is, maybe Ray is playable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At this point, I'd be okay if they gave us a Ray helmet, so I would have a reason to play as mii gunner (as Ray) :awesome:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Is this a leak from the upcoming CoroCoro? If it is, does anyone think the Mii Fighter looks kind of weird? Also, can someone get a translation of that screenshot? Also, Ray better be playable in SSB4! I ain't playing, Sakurai! He better be playable!!!

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

So apparently, the Dragon gun is a weapon for the mii gunner.
Wo0t!
Interesting. I hope this doesn't hurt Ray's chances of getting in. The Dragon Gun is one of the most iconic guns in Custom Robo due to the sound and the shape of the round [and IIRC, the Wyrm Gun (the illegal modification of the Dragon Gun) was in the 1st game for the N64 as well as the Dragon Gun]. Maybe it's just a skin.

I noticed 2 differences between the Mii's Dragon Gun and the Dragon Gun in Custom Robo. First, the Mii's Dragon Gun is primarily red with an orange base. The one in Custom Robo is primarily Orange. Secondly, the shape of the snout is different between the two versions. In the Mii's photo, the "nose" is directly above the lower jaw. However, the Dragon Gun in CR has a VERY long snout. That being said, it's definitely a reference to Custom Robo (or Mega Man Starforce 2's Saurian Form). I will likely use that outfit if I use a Mii Gunner (gonna make an army of Miis).

In CRV2:

In Battle Revolution:

&

And just for comparison sake, a Deviant Art of Mega Man Starforce 2's Saurian form:

I'm liking that they are giving TONS of outfits to the Miis and that they are referencing Custom Robo more.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. I hope this doesn't hurt Ray's chances of getting in. The Dragon Gun is one of the most iconic guns in Custom Robo due to the sound and the shape of the round [and IIRC, the Wyrm Gun (the illegal modification of the Dragon Gun) was in the 1st game for the N64 as well as the Dragon Gun]. Maybe it's just a skin.

I noticed 2 differences between the Mii's Dragon Gun and the Dragon Gun in Custom Robo. First, the Mii's Dragon Gun is primarily red with an orange base. The one in Custom Robo is primarily Orange. Secondly, the shape of the snout is different between the two versions. In the Mii's photo, the "nose" is directly above the lower jaw. However, the Dragon Gun in CR has a VERY long snout. That being said, it's definitely a reference to Custom Robo (or Mega Man Starforce 2's Saurian Form). I will likely use that outfit if I use a Mii Gunner (gonna make an army of Miis).

In CRV2:

In Battle Revolution:

&

And just for comparison sake, a Deviant Art of Mega Man Starforce 2's Saurian form:

I'm liking that they are giving TONS of outfits to the Miis and that they are referencing Custom Robo more.
Eww, Is that really the way it looked CRV2?
But, the more CR references in smash, the better.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Seeing the differences between past dragon guns and this one, it makes me wonder what the opinions on a completely original Ray to be in smash would be?

Maybe something clever like Ray Sm. IV.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the images. I couldn't find them to be honest.
I used an emulator to get pics because there are very few pics of CRA online. It's impossible to find almost anything.

Seeing the differences between past dragon guns and this one, it makes me wonder what the opinions on a completely original Ray to be in smash would be?

Maybe something clever like Ray Sm. IV.
I like this idea a lot. A cool new Ray could blend styles for all the games.
Ray Sm. IV is brilliant. Sm4sh and Ray Mk IV mix well.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
You know, that's actually a pretty cool idea! Have a new Ray model that encompasses all of the older Ray models as the rep for Smash Bros. That way, all of the Rays are in Smash.

How should he look? I'll post the images as references.

Ray (originated in CR1 for N64):
CR1:

CR2: Cannot find one. I'd imagine he'd look the same.
CRA:

Ray Mk II (originated in CRV2 for N64)
CRV2:

CRA:

X-Ray (Originated in CRGX for the GBA)
GX:

CRA:

Ray Sky (originated in CRGX for the GBA)
GX:

CRA America:

CRA Europe:

CRA Japan:

AIRS (originated in CRGX for the GBA. Is essentially a military grade version of Ray Sky, so it's TECHNICALLY considered illegal)
Custom Robo GX: No image available. Will add as soon as I can get one.

Custom Robo Arena:

Ray 01 (originated in CRBR for the GCN)
CRBR:

CRA (thanks to ToastyPyre):

Ray Legend (re-imagining of CR1 Ray that originated in CRBR for the GCN. Is an illegal robo.)

Ray Warrior (illegal robo that originated in CRBR for the GCN)

Ray Mk III (originated in CRA for the DS)
CRA:

Brawl:

Ray II Dark (illegal robo that originated in CRV2 for the N64)
CRV2: Cannot find an image.
CRA:

I used an emulator to get pics because there are very few pics of CRA online. It's impossible to find almost anything.
Yeah.... Seeing a lack of CRA images and videos (or Custom Robo on the web in general) kinda disheartens me a bit. I REALLY wish that they made a new one so the internet would be talking more about the franchise.

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Here's Ray 01 in CRA:
My sig also features all CRA Ray models.

It's interesting to see how different the gamecube game was in terms of style to the others. A very unique game in the series. Must of been those top notch GameCube graphics.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. Ray hasn't made the leap to HD yet, though I will say he looked swell in the GCN intro.

They are free to take a Marth approach to the matter and just mix and match whatever represents him best, preferably working alongside the ones who originally conceived the character design. They can arrive at something that combines the best of old, and maybe something a little new. Ray actually has a lot of distinct recurring features that have been around in every iteration. So long as they maintain these qualities, we'll still know it's Ray. Thus everything else is left to their best judgment.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Here's Ray 01 in CRA:
My sig also features all CRA Ray models.

It's interesting to see how different the gamecube game was in terms of style to the others. A very unique game in the series. Must of been those top notch GameCube graphics.
Thanks for the image! I'll be sure to add that to the post (if permission permits). Didn't see your sig for some odd reason.

The GCN game was very distinct with its art style. I think they went with more of a "hardcore" style and less of a cartoony style in order to appeal more to the west. To be honest, I really did like CR:BR's art style, but I also enjoyed the cartoony art styles in the other games.

But that intro is AWESOME! No doubts about that!

Yeah. Ray hasn't made the leap to HD yet, though I will say he looked swell in the GCN intro.

They are free to take a Marth approach to the matter and just mix and match whatever represents him best, preferably working alongside the ones who originally conceived the character design. They can arrive at something that combines the best of old, and maybe something a little new. Ray actually has a lot of distinct recurring features that have been around in every iteration. So long as they maintain these qualities, we'll still know it's Ray. Thus everything else is left to their best judgment.
Agreed. I can see a common theme here.

Spiky "hair" (usually red hair). Darker torso with lighter accents (or something popping out) in the middle. Limbs are a lighter color than the torso (they are generally white or pale blue). Torso is rectangular for the most part.

Now, I have a question. Say Nintendo is going with the whole mixing all of the Rays into one Ray schpiel for the Custom Robo rep. Should they also include the designs from the Lightning Sky Rays (Ray Sky and AIRS) and the Illegal Robos (Ray Legend [though technically it's an updated Ray], Ray Warrior [looks heavily based on Ray 01 IMHO], and Ray II Dark [a dark version of Ray Mk II with shades]) or should they only use the ones that you get near the beginning of the game? Ray Sky is a required Robo in GX if I recall correctly while all of the other ones are Post Game bonus Robos.

Edit: Oh, and I made a huge mistake about Ray II Dark. He also appeared in V2 for the N64. I'll edit my post to accommodate for that (though I have no picture of Ray II Dark in V2).

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. I can see a common theme here.

Spiky "hair" (usually red hair). Darker torso with lighter accents (or something popping out) in the middle. Limbs are a lighter color than the torso (they are generally white or pale blue). Torso is rectangular for the most part.

Now, I have a question. Say Nintendo is going with the whole mixing all of the Rays into one Ray schpiel for the Custom Robo rep. Should they also include the designs from the Lightning Sky Rays (Ray Sky and AIRS) and the Illegal Robos (Ray Legend [though technically it's an updated Ray], Ray Warrior [looks heavily based on Ray 01 IMHO], and Ray II Dark [a dark version of Ray Mk II with shades]) or should they only use the ones that you get near the beginning of the game? Ray Sky is a required Robo in GX if I recall correctly while all of the other ones are Post Game bonus Robos.

Edit: Oh, and I made a huge mistake about Ray II Dark. He also appeared in V2 for the N64. I'll edit my post to accommodate for that (though I have no picture of Ray II Dark in V2).
Nah, I think it should only be *the* Rays. None of the sky ones or illegal ones. Those aren't purely "Ray".

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
My design for Ray Sm. IV

Any suggestions on how to make it better are welcome. I tried to mix bits and pieces from all the Ray models.

Top Bottom