• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I just realized that I like smash brothers and custom Robo for same reason: they're both a great source of mindless fun with friends. You don't play them to experience the story or the graphics; you play thrm to have a great time with your friends. Neither one is thought-provoking or even close to balanced, but that doesn't matter when you're having a great time spamming against your friends. The only real difference is that custom robo of allows you to beat one of your friends and Smash Bros allows you to beat three. And in this sense it's downright criminal that Ray hasn't been put into Smash Bros yet. Still, if this petition works out, I have my hopes for him being in Smash 5.

Hong

The Strongest
Neither one is thought-provoking or even close to balanced, but that doesn't matter when you're having a great time spamming against your friends.
Strike Vanisher confirmed Meta Knight.:metaknight::metaknight::metaknight:
The only real difference is that custom robo of allows you to beat one of your friends and Smash Bros allows you to beat three. And in this sense it's downright criminal that Ray hasn't been put into Smash Bros yet. Still, if this petition works out, I have my hopes for him being in Smash 5.
There aren't free for alls? I remember there being teams, at least.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
There aren't free for alls? I remember there being teams, at least.[/quote]
There are, but only in the GameCube version. Even there, that weird target switching mechanic make them bit more trouble than they're worth. It's similar to the special brawls in smash Bros in the fact that they are good for a laugh, but not something you would play for a long period of time.

Last edited:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Alright, update time. Sorry for not being here the other day, my area has been out of internet due to constant thunderstorms. I'm still working on the video during this downtime, and everything is looking unreal. The commentary fits in with the music, and the footage lines up with what is being said. To listen to what tracks we're using, click HERE. My deepest, sincerest apologies to @ Leafeon523 Leafeon523 for not using Daylight in the final track list. Some sacrifices had to be made for the quality of the video. Speaking of which, each song matches up with a different part of the video:
-Intro
-Movie
-Explanation
-N64/GBA
-NGC/NDS
-Super Smash Bros
-Decline of series/developers words
-About OP: Robo Rebirth
-Call to arms/final words
-Credits
Yes, there is a section being dedicated just to smash, thanks to @Prism . Here's who i'm working with btw:

There are going to be some websites supporting us with this, and you shall see soon enough who they are. They will be listed in the credits, and help spread the word. The total amount of people to sign is going to be 20,000 people. I am confident we can reach this, if the Reggie petition can get 50,000 for doing nearly nothing. You guys will be in the credits as well, in some way shape or form... maybe with a new logo for the Ray thread? ;) More to come still. Hope this quenches a little thirst. :chuckle:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Yessssss, Heaven is in there. To be fair though, it's probably the most recognizable song from the Gamecube version.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm not going to lie; I'm more excited for Silver Hood's video then the character reveal on Monday. Unless Ray is revealed, of course:awesome:.

:082:3 days!:051:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I have a good feeling that the character release Monday will either be Ray or Issac from Golden Sun. Then again I am really bad at predicting these things.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the monday character is almost certainly Shulk. The creators of Xenoblade retweeted the character announcement tweet from nintendo.
Still, we have S1LV3RH00D's video to look forward to.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the monday character is almost certainly Shulk. The creators of Xenoblade retweeted the character announcement tweet from nintendo.
Still, we have S1LV3RH00D's video to look forward to.
Apparently they do that sort of thing all the time. Big fans of smash. So while it is a little more likely, I don't think it's necessarily Shulk.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
You guys are the best! I was a little upset that there was no activity here for a little bit, but coming on to see this really warms my heart. The video is nearly complete, i'm filling in the missing gaps and trying to add a few additional things to really make this video become more like a mini-movie. If you guys have any questions (that isn't related to the number of people signing or the sites that will be supporting it, all of this is up in the air) I have no problem at all answering them. I will say, that the RELEASE of the video may be delayed (meaning everyone else may have to wait), but I will give you guys the first look in a few days. The video may not come to light for the rest of the internet until later this month, due to certain people in the credits and preparations. I will say that I have my work cut out for me, I took off from work and am skipping a night of school this week to finish everything. My girlfriend and I have also been struggling due to the amount of time I am spending on this, today we went to the beach to reconnect and for me to alleviate stress. Almost all of the music and footage is in place, today is going to be spent finishing that up, tomorrow for recording commentary, and tuesday will be spent on major editing/finishing the video. Thank you all for your interest, I hope I make you proud.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Please tag me when it is completed. I never seem to follow threads I watch correctly. Yet I'd love to see the video.

I have a decently high faith that Isaac and Ray are both in the game, honestly.
I wrote a :diddy: about why they would not be getting videos, though.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Lol, the forums are blowing up right now, and I'm just sitting here waiting for the custom robo video.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot say that I think Ray is a super likely candidate.
But he would make for DLC that even people who do not know who he is would buy.
'Whoa, weird awesome robot? Hell yeah?'

Hong

The Strongest
Well, the Gematsu leak, at least the latter part of it, is proven fraudulent as expected.

So we are better off now than we were prior. :)

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Well, the Gematsu leak, at least the latter part of it, is proven fraudulent as expected.

So we are better off now than we were prior. :)
I suppose that it does bode well for Ray, but I did like me some Rhythm Heaven.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Confession time: I've never had any real confidence in ray's chances myself. If he were to receive a new game though, he could very well be in smash 5.

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
It would be pretty cool seeing him go from a trophy to an assist trophy to an actual fighter.
He's one of my top newcomers for sure, I'm just not very confident of his chances. But anyway yeah he's a perfect fit for Smash and a moveset for him wouldn't be too hard to come up with

And also, Custom Robo is in my opinion one of Nintendo's most underrated series so this could really help give his franchise some attention

Last edited:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
These thunderstorms >.< I'm at my friends house two towns over working on the video since my power is out.

A trailer showcasing Ray vs. ROB would be hilarious and amazing.
I wouldn't even care if Rob destroyed him in battle during the trailer, as long as we get him. ;___;

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
A trailer showcasing Ray vs. ROB would be hilarious and amazing.
Trailer begins. R.O.B rolls in looking around an arena like construct of neon lines and weird walls. He comes out from behind a wall and turns to see a Robo Cannon, sitting on the ground.

R.O.B comes closer to the cannon and lifts his arms up to mirror the Cannon. The Robo Cannon begins to move, aiming its cannons around as R.O.B follows along. Then the Cannon aims directly at R.O.B and a Robo Cube shoots out into him, sending him flying. He gets up dazed and looks at the Cube on the ground, it glows brightly and unfolds into Ray. Splash screen 'Ray Enters the Arena!'

A man can dream.

Last edited:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Sorry guys, going to have to delay the video to thursday. :urg: I need time to edit and finish some graphics. I'm stuck with slow internet at the moment due to constant thunderstorms in my area (check the weather for NJ to see for yourself!) I hope everybody can hold their hype til then!

Psionic EquinØx

Smash Rookie
I feel like Ray is the perfect secret character to put in. He could be like how Marth (and Roy) were for Melee and Pit was for Brawl. He'd be a good way to revive/popularize a series that's kind of in the background right now. Not to mention we need more robots and characters with unique fighting styles lol.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I feel like Ray is the perfect secret character to put in. He could be like how Marth (and Roy) were for Melee and Pit was for Brawl. He'd be a good way to revive/popularize a series that's kind of in the background right now. Not to mention we need more robots and characters with unique fighting styles lol.
Completely agree!
Congrats on your first message, welcome to Smashboards!
Thank you for choosing the Ray thread, enjoy your stay. :colorful:

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Take as much time as you need, my good friend. Be careful up there and remember, you're doing this for us and Ray......but mostly Ray. Also, I don't suppose you ever plan to show this to Nintendo? (or much more importantly, Sakurai.) I just wanted to also ask if you updated the OP at all yet? I wanted to know if you added my "History/Chronicles" of Ray throughout the years of 1999-2007. It should be on page 3.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Sorry guys, going to have to delay the video to thursday. :urg: I need time to edit and finish some graphics. I'm stuck with slow internet at the moment due to constant thunderstorms in my area (check the weather for NJ to see for yourself!) I hope everybody can hold their hype til then!

It's always better to have a delay than an unfinished product. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Take as much time as you need, my good friend. Be careful up there and remember, you're doing this for us and Ray......but mostly Ray. Also, I don't suppose you ever plan to show this to Nintendo? (or much more importantly, Sakurai.) I just wanted to also ask if you updated the OP at all yet? I wanted to know if you added my "History/Chronicles" of Ray throughout the years of 1999-2007. It should be on page 3.
I have it there, i'll be updating the whole OP this week. I do plan to show this to Nintendo, the entire petition notifies them directly once 5,000 people is reached. Also, we'll be getting the word out there with quite a few websites.

It's always better to have a delay than an unfinished product. Keep up the good work!
Thank you! We're looking at saturday morning for the video to be uploaded. I want to make sure the final version for the whole internet is ready by friday, then everyone can start sharing it.

You guys get to see it first, I just ask that no one shows it to anyone else for the next week. As long as that happens, this will be successful.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I wanted to ask, does anybody have anything they want to contribute to the video? There's a good chance that Noise, the developer of CR, might see this. After all, with a video tributing Custom Robo, they'd be sure to hear about it if this got big.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to ask, does anybody have anything they want to contribute to the video? There's a good chance that Noise, the developer of CR, might see this. After all, with a video tributing Custom Robo, they'd be sure to hear about it if this got big.
Maybe talk about how good free 2 play might be for the game? Idk.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I'm not going to be discussing what direction they could take the series in this video, but I will be making another video a month from now describing my thoughts on what they could do with the series. I'll keep that in mind, and give you a shoutout in that video. :)

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to be discussing what direction they could take the series in this video, but I will be making another video a month from now describing my thoughts on what they could do with the series. I'll keep that in mind, and give you a shoutout in that video. :)
It might be worth noting that you have to tread super lightly when making a game free to play. It has to be a perfect balance so it isn't pay to win, but also doesn't seem like you are nickel and diming people out of their money.
I've always enjoyed trying to collect every part in the custom robo games. Having to pay for each part (either separately or in bundles) with my actual money kinda defeats the purpose and excitement of unlocking an awesome part by defeating a tough opponent or finding one in a bookshelf in the overworld.

However, Custom Robo seems to be a perfect game series to rival the skylander games. Especially with the skylanders swap-force game that proves the concept that a custom robo interactive toy game would need to BE custom robo. The ability to mix and match robo parts for your figure that would decide what parts your robo uses ingame. While this may contradict my previous point about buying parts for money, in this scenario I'm also getting a custom robo action figure/figurine to put on my shelf. To be honest, that was the kind of thing I dreamed about when I was a kid. :chuckle:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Ray's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Hong

The Strongest
It's difficult to balance it out. I think Ray should have mid-air dashes, though it can be frustrating to deal with when the character has projectiles, so it's something they'll balance carefully. :>

Last edited:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
It's difficult to balance it out. I think Ray should have mid-air dashes, though it can be frustrating to deal with when the character has projectiles, so it's something they'll balance carefully. :>
I would say make his specials all of his weapons (guns, bombs, pods), his up B is his legs (so he can hover like palutenas one move where she floats like paper), and his dash attack be a dash into the opponent that has some hit stun. I think his aerial game with attacks should be slow and matrix-like, but has good speed on ground and in air with movement. His projectile game would be strong but his attacks in general don't land huge blows. This is my personal view on how to balance Ray 01 out.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Ray, in comparison to other smash characters an aerial, long range character. In smash, to differentiate him, certain mechanics previously mentioned such as multiple air dashes and a Down/Rebirth system would make him an aerial ranger with weaker defence but increased mobility to dodge attacks.
~
In terms of a moveset for Ray (I'm imagining Ray Mk III):
-B: Flare Gun (Rounds fly out a distant then explode with rounds in all directions)
-Side B: Dash Attack (Turns red and charges forward a short distance)
-Down B: Twin Flank Pod (Pods float out on either side and travel along the ground before exploding with a vertical blast)
-Up B: Acrobat Bomb (Explosion of air below feet which launches both Ray and surrounding characters up)
-The A melee attacks can use Knuckle Gun and Blade Gun with longer ranges than normal A attacks.
-Grabs use Catch Gun (Gun that shoots a claw out and drags players)
~
As previously mentioned the customisable movesets and general uniqueness of Custom Robo mechanics mean that, other than being a lesser known and quite old character, Ray's chances aren't hindered by lack of moveset choice or differentiation from other characters in ability. Balancing would also be made easier by hindering his mobility prowess with very low defence and the lightness attributed to a Toy Robot meaning easy K.O's.
Sorry for long post

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Today i'm working on some high-end animations for the video.
Will be up by tomorrow, Monday afternoon the latest.

Top Bottom