• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
So wait has either Isaac or Ray been confirmed as Assist Trophies? If so bugger! But I can see both of them not getting in, since Nintendo hasn't released a new chapter in both franchises. Despite the fact that they're both suited for Smash. Regardless if either don't end up being assist trophies, that may mean they're future DLC. Same applies to Wonder Red, who is just a trophy.
So far, neither of them have been confirmed to return as Assist Trophies.

The current list of unconfirmed assists are the following (please correct me if I am wrong):
  1. Barbara (the purple female guitar player from Daigasso! Band Brothers and Master of Illusion among other titles)
  2. Excitebikes (from, well, Excitebike)
  3. Gray Fox (unless if Snake returns, Gray Fox is pretty much guaranteed to not return)
  4. Helirin (the blue rotating platform-like ship that impeded players' progress [there were 3 games in the series]).
  5. Infantry & Tanks (from Famicom Wars) Edit: Confirmed as a returning assist trophy.
  6. Isaac (interestingly enough, Isaac is called Robin in Japan).
  7. Jeff (Earthbound character [one of the party members] that launches rockets at all of the foes)
  8. Jill (the girl from Drill Dozer)
  9. Kat & Ana (from WarioWare)
  10. Little Mac (well, he's a playable character now, so he cannot be an assist trophy)
  11. Mr. Resetti (NO RESETTING!)
  12. Ray MK III (the main man [well, robo] that we support here on this thread [though we support any of the Rays getting in for the most part])
So, that essentially means that there are only actually 10 more possible assists that CAN return (11 if Snake returns as Gray Fox is tied down to Snake for the most part). Assuming that leak about the characters is true (which it pretty much is at this point) and that the image that shows All Star mode being locked is correct and that all of the spaces on the CSS has to be filled, we have 5 unrevealed characters before DLC is added. And, well, you probably can guess which 5 I personally want as the remaining 5 based on my signature (King K. Rool, Ridley, Ray 01 [or any of them], Isaac, and Simon Belmont).

But let's assume for argument sake that the remaining 5 were all characters that were Assist Trophies in Brawl that weren't confirmed yet to return as ATs. Which 5 would you choose?

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
So far, neither of them have been confirmed to return as Assist Trophies.

The current list of unconfirmed assists are the following (please correct me if I am wrong):
  1. Barbara (the purple female guitar player from Daigasso! Band Brothers and Master of Illusion among other titles)
  2. Excitebikes (from, well, Excitebike)
  3. Gray Fox (unless if Snake returns, Gray Fox is pretty much guaranteed to not return)
  4. Helirin (the blue rotating platform-like ship that impeded players' progress [there were 3 games in the series]).
  5. Infantry & Tanks (from Famicom Wars)
  6. Isaac (interestingly enough, Isaac is called Robin in Japan).
  7. Jeff (Earthbound character [one of the party members] that launches rockets at all of the foes)
  8. Jill (the girl from Drill Dozer)
  9. Kat & Ana (from WarioWare)
  10. Little Mac (well, he's a playable character now, so he cannot be an assist trophy)
  11. Mr. Resetti (NO RESETTING!)
  12. Ray MK III (the main man [well, robo] that we support here on this thread [though we support any of the Rays getting in for the most part])
So, that essentially means that there are only actually 10 more possible assists that CAN return (11 if Snake returns as Gray Fox is tied down to Snake for the most part). Assuming that leak about the characters is true (which it pretty much is at this point) and that the image that shows All Star mode being locked is correct and that all of the spaces on the CSS has to be filled, we have 5 unrevealed characters before DLC is added. And, well, you probably can guess which 5 I personally want as the remaining 5 based on my signature (King K. Rool, Ridley, Ray 01 [or any of them], Isaac, and Simon Belmont).

But let's assume for argument sake that the remaining 5 were all characters that were Assist Trophies in Brawl that weren't confirmed yet to return as ATs. Which 5 would you choose?
Isaac and Ray for sure. As for the other 3, I'd go with Famicom wars, Little mac, and Helirin for the massive trolling potential:troll:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure about there being exactly 5 left. That's just people seeing the screen and thinking it needs to fit perfectly which is probable but not certain. However, with todays pic of the day it seems there are more characters unknown, maybe for dlc, which is pretty exciting. I'm still holding hope for Ray (and other AT's like Isaac or ... excitebike).

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I'm not sure about there being exactly 5 left. That's just people seeing the screen and thinking it needs to fit perfectly which is probable but not certain. However, with todays pic of the day it seems there are more characters unknown, maybe for dlc, which is pretty exciting. I'm still holding hope for Ray (and other AT's like Isaac or ... excitebike).
I'm really liking the idea of a petition for Ray, Isaac, and a Wars character. With support from all of our groups, we really could have a voice.......

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I just realized something. We might only get 4 more people. That leak didn't show the Mii Fighters. Seeing that the Customization Button was turned off, the "5th" unused slot could be used by the Mii Fighters when the Customization button is turned on.

Looks like I jumped the gun a bit too early.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Maybe throw in Vaati as well?
While I personally am a huge fan of Vaati, the reason these 3 were picked was because they were all Assist Trophies and we have no representation for their series yet. Legend of Zelda already has 4 characters in the new game, with two more on the way, while we currently have 0 representing Advance Wars, Custom Robo, and Golden Sun.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
While I personally am a huge fan of Vaati, the reason these 3 were picked was because they were all Assist Trophies and we have no representation for their series yet. Legend of Zelda already has 4 characters in the new game, with two more on the way, while we currently have 0 representing Advance Wars, Custom Robo, and Golden Sun.
I hope Ray is playable. We haven't heard anything Custom Robo-related since the game's official revealing.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I hope Ray is playable. We haven't heard anything Custom Robo-related since the game's official revealing.
Besides custom movesets, there really is nothing. And it's really strange, considering BandaiNamco published Custom Robo arena, has a few of the key guys from Gundam series working on the game, and that three of our FAVORITE AT's are nowhere to be found which also happen to have moveset potential.

STRANGE, ISN'T IT.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just realized something. We might only get 4 more people. That leak didn't show the Mii Fighters. Seeing that the Customization Button was turned off, the "5th" unused slot could be used by the Mii Fighters when the Customization button is turned on.

didnt the whole 5 left thing come from the fact that theres room for six and that the miis would take up one of those?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It appears I have not posted here yet, but I would like to support this dude. Although his series is behind Nintendo's big franchise fest, he would make for a pretty unique character, I personally think he's cooler than Optimus Prime.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
It appears I have not posted here yet, but I would like to support this dude. Although his series is behind Nintendo's big franchise fest, he would make for a pretty unique character, I personally think he's cooler than Optimus Prime.
It's an honor to have your support. This is S1LV3RH00D btw, the reason i've been away from the Leak group is because i've been here. :upsidedown:

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Makes sense, got one final suggestion on who you could add to the petition, and that is Wonder Red.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm really liking the idea of a petition for Ray, Isaac, and a Wars character. With support from all of our groups, we really could have a voice.......
I'd sign it. I think most of the members of the Support Threads for each would sign it as well. Then we can start pushing it to other sites.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice

One of the leaked photo's had mii fighters and characters as two separate buttons on a previous menu screen.
However, it may be that this screen is just the custom moves screen, so maybe they do take up a slot. Who knows.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
One of the leaked photo's had mii fighters and characters as two separate buttons on a previous menu screen.
However, it may be that this screen is just the custom moves screen, so maybe they do take up a slot. Who knows.
That photo is for the customization of characters. You choose which one you want to customize. It's a different screen from the "Choose your Character!" screen. Check around 3:36 of this trailer:

didnt the whole 5 left thing come from the fact that theres room for six and that the miis would take up one of those?
Looking at the image and re-arranging the icons, you get 5 spaces left. The customization button is turned off, so the Mii Fighters are not included. If we had 5 more unannounced characters, the Mii Fighters would not have any room on the CSS.

Here is the leak image showing the unfinished character roster for reference:

As you can see, the bottom row has room for 4 more characters and the 2nd to last row has 2 "half" spaces (probably because the alignment of the CSS is centered). If you shove the bottom two rows all the way to the left, you get room for 5 characters. Seeing that the customization button is turned off on the bottom screen, the Mii Fighters aren't on there. I'm ASSUMING that the lack of Mii Fighters on this screen means that their square only appears when the customization button is turned on. If that's the case, they take up one of the squares. This leaves 4 remaining characters to be revealed by leaks, Nintendo, or Sakurai (unless if that 4Chan leak that extends upon the Ninka leak that says that Ridley, Chorus Men, Dixie Kong, and Mewtwo are the remaining characters, but I generally don't believe leaks until they are proven [like the leak I am referencing with the photo in the spoilers section]).

I'd sign it. I am NOT good with managing petitions however. One petition I made got only 169 supporters because I failed to advertise it (didn't have enough time on my hands). It was this one for Simon Belmont in Smash 4: http://www.change.org/p/sora-sakura...smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-roster-simonforsmashbros

It was closed automatically because of the lack of activity or something. Needless to say, I failed as a petition manager.

Last edited:

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to think that ray and Isaac's ATs may be absent from the game, only to become playable via DLC. How awesome would that be!
Honestly that is how I see it. Isaac has mad support and if his assist trophy is absent, Sakurai definitely will use him as DLC I think. Ray would be a great playable addition. His gimmick could rely on the fact that custom moves change his actual parts and causes him to play differently depending on how you set him up personally. These two are characters I will be rooting hard for in any way I can as DLC along with Wonder Red.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Just thinking of how Ray would look in Smash 4 is exciting. I can't wait to see high quality HD Ray, in whatever form he comes.

Also, with all the talks of palette and costume swaps for characters, what do you think Ray's will be?
It's easy to say his models, but with 8 alts, which models would be complete remodels, and which would be simple palettes?

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Just thinking of how Ray would look in Smash 4 is exciting. I can't wait to see high quality HD Ray, in whatever form he comes.

Also, with all the talks of palette and costume swaps for characters, what do you think Ray's will be?
It's easy to say his models, but with 8 alts, which models would be complete remodels, and which would be simple palettes?
I think that we would have 4 different Ray MK III colors and four Ray 01 colors.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Guys, I don't see it mentioned here, but it is all over the Isaac thread, and it pertains to you guys as well, so I thought I would bring it up: We have confirmation of Infantry and Tanks appearing in the demo, yet no sign of Ray yet.

This is the first time we've seen any of the previous locked ATs from Brawl (except Shadow). One of the old locked ATs showing up means that they'll probably all be in the demo. Unless they're playable, hidden characters.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Ray looks like such a cool guy, I don't care that I never played a game of this series. He would be a cool addition to the roster.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Guys, I don't see it mentioned here, but it is all over the Isaac thread, and it pertains to you guys as well, so I thought I would bring it up: We have confirmation of Infantry and Tanks appearing in the demo, yet no sign of Ray yet.

This is the first time we've seen any of the previous locked ATs from Brawl (except Shadow). One of the old locked ATs showing up means that they'll probably all be in the demo. Unless they're playable, hidden characters.
Interesting. Maybe they made Isaac and Ray playable this time around. I REALLY do hope that's the case.

Ray looks like such a cool guy, I don't care that I never played a game of this series. He would be a cool addition to the roster.
Thanks for the support mate! I HIGHLY recommend playing at least one of the games in the series. The GCN game is the one that most people talk about in the states, but the DS one is also pretty good too. The other 3 are Japan only titles, so one would need to import the titles in order to play them legally (a Japanese Wii can play the 2 N64 ones IIRC).

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Were they even any Custom Robo games released in Europe?
Yes there is. The only one in Europe is Custom Robo Arena for the Nintendo DS.

It was released in 2006/2007 (depending on the region). This game is one of my favorites in the series to be honest (the GCN one is pretty good too [I haven't beaten any of the other ones yet]).

The overworld uses 2D sprites, but the battles use 3D graphics, so it's more similar to the Japanese titles as opposed to the GCN one. It has the standard Body/Gun/Bomb/Pod/Legs part selection that all of the other games have (barring GX for the GBA), but parts are purchased from the parts shops like in GX. There is this extra feature known as the Soul Boost that was added specifically in this game that boosts your Robo specs for a short period of time. However, when you run out of Soul Juice (don't know the specific term), your Robo gets dirty. A dirty Robo is a weak one. I also think this title has the most Custom Robo body classes (and parts in general).

When trying out the N64 titles, I can DEFINITELY see the influence those titles had over Arena (some arenas in those titles are also in Arena), and that's a good thing to be honest as there were a TON of options in those ones (moreso in V2 than the original) for parts. Its atmosphere is a mix between the N64 titles' cartoony style and the GCN's "hardcore" style. If the N64 titles' characters were in the late elementary school to early middle school range while the GCN title is more like after college where you have a job, Arena is like the early highschool setting. Now that I think about it, it kinda reminds me of GX's atmosphere for the most part.

It DID have online multiplayer as well, but it's not useable now because of how DS and Wii titles cannot use WiFi services now (unless if you hack like in certain Brawl mods). Local multiplayer works though.

You cannot go wrong with getting Custom Robo Arena in my opinion. I still play this title on my DS to this day.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Wow, Custom Robo Arena is almost nothing on ebay! xD Maybe I will get it then, thanks for the info, The One Who Wrote This!

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Wow, Custom Robo Arena is almost nothing on ebay! xD Maybe I will get it then, thanks for the info, The One Who Wrote This!
No problem mate! Hope you enjoy the game! :)

Well, a week is left! Let's all hope Ray can pull through! (Alongside Isaac, too!:))
Same! I bet he (alongside Isaac) will be the characters that are unexpected hidden newcomers that no-one knows about until after the game is released. Hearing that the two of them were not shown off as Assist Trophies yet makes me think that they will be playable in this installment. Whether they are regular characters or DLC characters is beyond my knowledge, but I have a hunch that they will be in.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I just had the coolest idea. What if ray was added in as DLC, PS all stars style? First, Custom Robo 3ds would be announced. Then when pre-orders become available, anyone who preorders it gets Ray 01 (and a 2nd character, perhaps Isaac) for free! How amazing would that be?!

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I just had the coolest idea. What if ray was added in as DLC, PS all stars style? First, Custom Robo 3ds would be announced. Then when pre-orders become available, anyone who preorders it gets Ray 01 (and a 2nd character, perhaps Isaac) for free! How amazing would that be?!
I like the idea.. but, I doubt nintendo would lock characters behind the pre-order of another game (thats EA's style).
It could be done if it was more of a NFC model exclusive, considering that ties in so much to Custom Robo games.
So you buy the Ray model and that unlocks Ray in Smash.

Speaking of which, the Ray NFC's could be like toys in themselves, with customising parts that show up in game (whether for Smash or an actual Custom Robo game).

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Trailer idea:

Isaac comes in and gets his splash page. Some opponent appears, and the two fight. Scenes of gameplay ensue. Then, partway through the fight, Isaac grabs an Assist Trophy and lifts it above his head. All of a sudden, it cuts back to CGI work, and the AT shatters to reveal Ray, and he gets his splash page. Then we get a ton of Ray gameplay footage.

Awesome enough reveal for the AT buddies? Or do we need to get an idea that's even better?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Trailer idea:

Isaac comes in and gets his splash page. Some opponent appears, and the two fight. Scenes of gameplay ensue. Then, partway through the fight, Isaac grabs an Assist Trophy and lifts it above his head. All of a sudden, it cuts back to CGI work, and the AT shatters to reveal Ray, and he gets his splash page. Then we get a ton of Ray gameplay footage.

Awesome enough reveal for the AT buddies? Or do we need to get an idea that's even better?
Seems fine to me! Maybe have Isaac come out of a trophy as well.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Trailer idea:

And the trailer is called 'Promotion'.

The trailer could start as if showing of all the AT's and what you can do with them in different modes.
Then, in typical Sakurai Fashion, he shows off Ray and Isaac on the Trophy Stand. Then they both beginning moving and glance towards eachother. They put up their weapons and their splash screens show.
Just because Sakurai loves to troll.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
And the trailer is called 'Promotion'.

The trailer could start as if showing of all the AT's and what you can do with them in different modes.
Then, in typical Sakurai Fashion, he shows off Ray and Isaac on the Trophy Stand. Then they both beginning moving and glance towards eachother. They put up their weapons and their splash screens show.
Just because Sakurai loves to troll.
That sounds to be a pretty good idea as well!

I wonder if the trailers will be accessible in the game...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That sounds to be a pretty good idea as well!

I wonder if the trailers will be accessible in the game...
I believe it was said that they would be.

This made me think that even characters who don't get pre-release reveal trailers might get trailers that are viewable in-game when you unlock them.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I believe it was said that they would be.

This made me think that even characters who don't get pre-release reveal trailers might get trailers that are viewable in-game when you unlock them.
That's what I'm thinking as well. I do remember them saying that at one point, but I wasn't entirely sure.

I don't think there will be any more newcomer trailers before the Japanese release date IMHO. I think some will be hidden until the character is unlocked.

Last edited:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Don't know why I haven't posted here yet. Ray is one of my most wanted newcomers, and the future is looking bright for him!

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Well, the speculation was fun guys. It was fun thinking of all these creative ideas. And who knows! He might be DLC potentially!

I hope we can at least keep this thread going as a custom robo general, because I still play the games from time to time!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys! Nintendo announced they're playing the final version of SSB3DS on Friday! What do you all think about Ray now?

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Well, the speculation was fun guys. It was fun thinking of all these creative ideas. And who knows! He might be DLC potentially!

I hope we can at least keep this thread going as a custom robo general, because I still play the games from time to time!
I might start streaming the game, we play the GC one constantly at my school. I still have to update the OP as well.

Hey guys! Nintendo announced they're playing the final version of SSB3DS on Friday! What do you all think about Ray now?
I think Ray will either be an assist trophy or playable, otherwise, back to rioting and petitioning.
(the funny part is, i'm serious)

Top Bottom