• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Nah, I think it should only be *the* Rays. None of the sky ones or illegal ones. Those aren't purely "Ray".
I'd have to agree with you. Having a bit of Ray II Dark would be kinda different.

My design for Ray Sm. IV

Any suggestions on how to make it better are welcome. I tried to mix bits and pieces from all the Ray models.
Holy smokes, that looks AMAZING! I can see the pale blue limbs of Mk I, Mk II, and X-Ray, the mouth guard of Mk II (CRA edition), X-Ray, 01, and Mk III (but mostly based on the Mk II CRA version), the green gem and shoulder points of 01, the 3 yellow accents on the torso from Mk III, the yellow streak of hair from Mk III, the generally red hair of Mk I, Ray, and Mk III, AND the Smash insignia on the shoulders (as well as the color scheme being the 2 versions' colors). And the thing that's going on with the golden lock of hair as well as the rich color of the paint makes it look like a new robo as well! THIS would be the Ray Sm. IV I would want in Smash 4!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd have to agree with you. Having a bit of Ray II Dark would be kinda different.

Holy smokes, that looks AMAZING! I can see the pale blue limbs of Mk I, Mk II, and X-Ray, the mouth guard of Mk II (CRA edition), X-Ray, 01, and Mk III (but mostly based on the Mk II CRA version), the green gem and shoulder points of 01, the 3 yellow accents on the torso from Mk III, the yellow streak of hair from Mk III, the generally red hair of Mk I, Ray, and Mk III, AND the Smash insignia on the shoulders (as well as the color scheme being the 2 versions' colors). And the thing that's going on with the golden lock of hair as well as the rich color of the paint makes it look like a new robo as well! THIS would be the Ray Sm. IV I would want in Smash 4!
It looks pretty amazing! The only thing I'd suggest? Make the torso bigger. I just don't know why...I can't picture Ray having a small one.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
It looks pretty amazing! The only thing I'd suggest? Make the torso bigger. I just don't know why...I can't picture Ray having a small one.
I thought that as well but surprisingly, Ray models have quiet small torso's.

Ray Sm. IV actually has a slightly larger torso in comparison.

BTW, I'd be happy to make another concept for a new Ray.
So do you guys have any suggestions for completely different designs? Maybe a new name suggestion as well?

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Lol, I was only making a suggestion! This is great! And it doesn't have to be Ray Sm. IV, I was just trying to be clever. This is pretty cool nonetheless.

I'd be interested to see which palettes you might choose. Maybe Swift and Robin, since they've been In every game.

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
has anyone considered having the various ray models as costumes?
That would be perfect however, the problem with that is alt costumes have always been strictly design and not model changes. The only model change is Little Mac in a Hoodie. So yeah, the best case scenario is all Ray models as playable, but more likely is one Ray model with colour changes reminiscent of other Ray's.
However, what this Idea does have going for it, is that each Ray model would essentially have the same hitboxes as they are so similar.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That would be perfect however, the problem with that is alt costumes have always been strictly design and not model changes. The only model change is Little Mac in a Hoodie.
thats not quite true, have you forgotten about pikachu's hats, villager, WFT and robins multiple genders? there are a fair few characters who switch models now

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
has anyone considered having the various ray models as costumes?
Agreed, this would probably be the best case for costumes. However, is there a green Ray that can be used for team battles? And I guess a red one to a lesser extent?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Agreed, this would probably be the best case for costumes. However, is there a green Ray that can be used for team battles? And I guess a red one to a lesser extent?
Well remember that now teams are indicated by coloured outlines

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Actually, Custom Robo Battle Revolution gave each robo 5 colors. There was the default coloring and there were the 4 standard colors in team gaming: red, blue, green, and yellow.

SOOOOOO, if they chose Ray 01 as the CR rep, it would be solved very easily. If they use a different robo, they can easily adapt it.

Regarding alt costumes.....I have no ideas. It's kinda hard to say.

Well remember that now teams are indicated by coloured outlines
And this is true too.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Sup guys. Popping in to say that I completely support Ray as a playable character.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
thats not quite true, have you forgotten about pikachu's hats, villager, WFT and robins multiple genders? there are a fair few characters who switch models now
I'm sorry, I completely forgot about that, you're right.

Big update coming soon.
The Hype is now divided! Smash and your update.

I like It! Though I think the smash symbols on the shoulders should match the color of the gem on the chest plate.
like this?

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I honestly think Ray 01 has a good chance. He could be a good obscure Nintendo character like R.O.B. and the Ice Climbers.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of other Ray models, and other Robo's. There seems to be a lot of new trophies being added. So what Custom Robo Assist trophy could, or should be added in your opinion?

I also made this awhile back to show an idea I had for implementing more Custom Robo's into Smash Bros.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Ah, Custom Robo! I've only played the Gamecube one, but boy was it a blast!
Count me in as a supporter for Ray, people. Custom Robo's been around since the N64 era, and it needs a bit more representation in Smash!
And maybe a new game along with him?:grin:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Ah, Custom Robo! I've only played the Gamecube one, but boy was it a blast!
Count me in as a supporter for Ray, people. Custom Robo's been around since the N64 era, and it needs a bit more representation in Smash!
And maybe a new game along with him?:grin:
We actually have an update coming soon that deals with that.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Jameson was obnoxious! I forget, was there a way to play as him?
Yeah. After you complete a certain amount of Grudge matches you can access an Underground fighting rink where you can get all the illegal parts in the game (most anyway) and Jameson is there as well. It costs a lot though.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Hello there Ray thread. I am going to be updating all of you with what is going on. As @ 4theRECORD 4theRECORD asked, what is the update? Well, we have a petition to bring back Custom Robo going on which is located here. As of right now, it hasn't officially launched. Why? Well, in order to make others aware of our cause, we figured that the best way would be to put together a video that shows off the series, and you can watch a preview for it here. The next part is going to be some good news/bad news sort of thing.

Now, this is where the real update is. We have quite a few people who will be promoting our cause, including Nintendo World Report, VideoGame BootCamp, Everything Smash, etc. The video, as it stands, is 95% complete. The only thing missing was commentary. I had a cruise to go on for some time now, and as it stood, I wouldn't have the time to record good audio. I went out and purchased a desktop microphone from best buy that ended up being garbage. With nothing left to record with, I was stuck with my laptop microphone. I spent atleast 3 days trying to record my rehearsed lines from a script with over 3,000 words. Nothing came out good. I would either mess up the sentence, miss a que, or just sound extremely weird. I mean, extremely weird. I had to change the pitch of my voice while recording just for it to sound somewhat normal, while trying to sound enthusiastic, while trying to read the words on time. It was absolutely ridiculous. I even had someone who was in the corner of the room I was recording in just SNORING while I was trying to record (he assured me he slept silently, but it was a lie).

Running out of time, I handed the task over to somebody who volunteered to take care of it since they had all the right recording equipment. It was a pretty big mistake. When I got back from my cruise, he had it done. I opened up the file in excitement, only to find out he had a really annoying voice and everything he read was obviously not taken seriously, as it sounded like some kid who had to go up in front of the class and acted smug about whatever he was presenting. I was seriously running out of time at this point, as my trial on my program I was using was going to be done in a matter of days.

I went to my one friends house to record all of my stuff as he had offered to let me use his studio to record, as he has tons of music equipment and tons of stuff to record with. Well, it was a nightmare. Me and his son were in the middle of set-up, and we must have spent atleast 30 minutes trying to get everything together. His father comes down and says he knows a better way, and goes to unplug everything we just set up. He brought out all these microphones and wires and pedals out that just didn't work together properly. He was obviously wasted and started getting touchy after nothing seemed to work.

After that, my program trial was up and it wouldn't even let me finish exporting the video in time. So as it stands right now, I have to buy the program in order to continue with the project. As some of you know, I left my job before the trip. During the trip, I was spending a lot, thinking I had the money to cover it. As it turns out, I had someone using the funds from my account while I was away, so I came back to almost nothing in my checking account. I'm getting another job as we speak, and am trying to fix my bank account problem so I don't enter debt before finishing college. I'm also busy trying to get my schoolwork caught up for 5 classes that I missed for two weeks during vacation, with finals happening RIGHT NOW.

I've been seriously busy and faced with tons of problems, but such is life, I will overcome it. I'm currently trying to find a plan B for the video, but in the meantime I will be making some support videos such as what Ray's moveset could be in smash or what could be in a new custom robo game, or videos similar to that. I'm also doing a remix of the song Heaven, which might take me a bit before it's done. Just know that I haven't forgotten about you guys whatsoever, it's been quite the opposite really. I feel pressured to give you guys the best, so dealing with all of this has been really hard on me and just pushes me further to persevere. You guys keep me rolling though with your support, so please keep on giving it. -S1LV3RH00D aka Gameb0ybryan

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Hello there Ray thread. I am going to be updating all of you with what is going on. As @ 4theRECORD 4theRECORD asked, what is the update? Well, we have a petition to bring back Custom Robo going on which is located here. As of right now, it hasn't officially launched. Why? Well, in order to make others aware of our cause, we figured that the best way would be to put together a video that shows off the series, and you can watch a preview for it here. The next part is going to be some good news/bad news sort of thing.

Now, this is where the real update is. We have quite a few people who will be promoting our cause, including Nintendo World Report, VideoGame BootCamp, Everything Smash, etc. The video, as it stands, is 95% complete. The only thing missing was commentary. I had a cruise to go on for some time now, and as it stood, I wouldn't have the time to record good audio. I went out and purchased a desktop microphone from best buy that ended up being garbage. With nothing left to record with, I was stuck with my laptop microphone. I spent atleast 3 days trying to record my rehearsed lines from a script with over 3,000 words. Nothing came out good. I would either mess up the sentence, miss a que, or just sound extremely weird. I mean, extremely weird. I had to change the pitch of my voice while recording just for it to sound somewhat normal, while trying to sound enthusiastic, while trying to read the words on time. It was absolutely ridiculous. I even had someone who was in the corner of the room I was recording in just SNORING while I was trying to record (he assured me he slept silently, but it was a lie).

Running out of time, I handed the task over to somebody who volunteered to take care of it since they had all the right recording equipment. It was a pretty big mistake. When I got back from my cruise, he had it done. I opened up the file in excitement, only to find out he had a really annoying voice and everything he read was obviously not taken seriously, as it sounded like some kid who had to go up in front of the class and acted smug about whatever he was presenting. I was seriously running out of time at this point, as my trial on my program I was using was going to be done in a matter of days.

I went to my one friends house to record all of my stuff as he had offered to let me use his studio to record, as he has tons of music equipment and tons of stuff to record with. Well, it was a nightmare. Me and his son were in the middle of set-up, and we must have spent atleast 30 minutes trying to get everything together. His father comes down and says he knows a better way, and goes to unplug everything we just set up. He brought out all these microphones and wires and pedals out that just didn't work together properly. He was obviously wasted and started getting touchy after nothing seemed to work.

After that, my program trial was up and it wouldn't even let me finish exporting the video in time. So as it stands right now, I have to buy the program in order to continue with the project. As some of you know, I left my job before the trip. During the trip, I was spending a lot, thinking I had the money to cover it. As it turns out, I had someone using the funds from my account while I was away, so I came back to almost nothing in my checking account. I'm getting another job as we speak, and am trying to fix my bank account problem so I don't enter debt before finishing college. I'm also busy trying to get my schoolwork caught up for 5 classes that I missed for two weeks during vacation, with finals happening RIGHT NOW.

I've been seriously busy and faced with tons of problems, but such is life, I will overcome it. I'm currently trying to find a plan B for the video, but in the meantime I will be making some support videos such as what Ray's moveset could be in smash or what could be in a new custom robo game, or videos similar to that. I'm also doing a remix of the song Heaven, which might take me a bit before it's done. Just know that I haven't forgotten about you guys whatsoever, it's been quite the opposite really. I feel pressured to give you guys the best, so dealing with all of this has been really hard on me and just pushes me further to persevere. You guys keep me rolling though with your support, so please keep on giving it. -S1LV3RH00D aka Gameb0ybryan
I'm really sorry to hear about all that, it sounds like a really terrible situation. But as you said, we're here for you and understand all the work and effort your putting into this for us. I also understand how difficult it is to do VoiceOver stuff. I wish I could help you but I don't have the equipment either. I hope it all turns out okay and we're all hoping your situation improves. Good luck and if you ever need help with something just ask and we'll see if we can help.

Thanks for all your work & effort. :)

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I'm really sorry to hear about all that, it sounds like a really terrible situation. But as you said, we're here for you and understand all the work and effort your putting into this for us. I also understand how difficult it is to do VoiceOver stuff. I wish I could help you but I don't have the equipment either. I hope it all turns out okay and we're all hoping your situation improves. Good luck and if you ever need help with something just ask and we'll see if we can help.

Thanks for all your work & effort. :)
Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately, I have no idea how fast everything will come together. The good news, is that once it does, it'll be huge. I also wanted to add that the video ends with your "Ray of Hope" poster. Sadly, idk when i'll be able to purchase the program so I can do some voice recording. I may do a kickstarter just for $40 so I can continue working on it. But still, I hope that by the next super smash bros game, Ray can be an inclusion. This is my dream.

Also, as far as the OP goes, that will be finished soon. If someone would like to make a temporary one for me to copy/paste in, that works too. But i'm doing mine from scratch, even if the game is coming out soon.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
I first heard of custom robot from playing melee, the reminded me of transformers. I went out and bought custom robo for the GameCube when it first came out and I thought the game was great fun. I was surprised to find out the premise of the game was similar to pokemom in the aspect that you were running about collecting robot parts to upgrade your robot to battle other "trainers" (I forget the proper term). Any way, it was a great game and Ray definitely deserves a playable character slot. Sure it would be weird considering Ray and other custom robos are very small in the real world but this is the world of smash, it could work. look at the arguments made for Ridley, whom of which I also support to join the roster.

So yeah that's my rant lol

This is a Sentence

Smash Cadet
I really feel like if the Ray Robo can be unique to the roster and would be interesting to see his play style of a aerial prominent character. i really do like this idea and fully support it!

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I first heard of custom robot from playing melee, the reminded me of transformers. I went out and bought custom robo for the GameCube when it first came out and I thought the game was great fun. I was surprised to find out the premise of the game was similar to pokemom in the aspect that you were running about collecting robot parts to upgrade your robot to battle other "trainers" (I forget the proper term). Any way, it was a great game and Ray definitely deserves a playable character slot. Sure it would be weird considering Ray and other custom robos are very small in the real world but this is the world of smash, it could work. look at the arguments made for Ridley, whom of which I also support to join the roster.

So yeah that's my rant lol
COMMANDERS :lick:
But anyways, glad to hear your rant, it brightened my day up. I myself had a lot of good times on the gamecube version, it had a lot of depth for a Nintendo game.

I really feel like if the Ray Robo can be unique to the roster and would be interesting to see his play style of a aerial prominent character. i really do like this idea and fully support it!
On this thread, we generally agree that he would be a very aerial character with plenty of projectiles to zone out other characters.
As of now, it is unlikely he will make it into this iteration of smash, but we will continue hoping and pushing until he finally is a character.

P.S. Thank you to you and everybody who continues to support Ray, it means a lot.

Last edited:

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
I had the feeling he and other assist trophy characters would be possible DLC some time after the game is released world wide.

Top Bottom