• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Rayman's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Updated OP with our four newest supporters, welcome to the Glade!

As far as GameXplain goes, they seemed to ignore the fact that Sonic is barely older than Rayman:
Sonic - 1991
Rayman - 1995

When comparing Rayman to Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Snake, then yes, they do have age and "legacy" over him, but of the three, Snake is the only one still making hit games while Mega Man is being all but ignored by his own company.

The only thing Sonic has going for him is that his name gets around more because of Sega whoring him out, and the nostalgia blind fans who can't get over the "Mario vs Sonic/Nintendo vs Sega" days. Sonic never was as big as Mario, really.

Most would then argue that each of the big characters revolutionized an aspect of gaming. Pac-Man and Mario made it popular, Snake started the sneaking genre, Mega Man started the jump n' shoot, apparently "gotta go fast" is an aspect of gaming that Sonic started. Kids nowadays ogle over graphics, so they should be thanking Rayman if anything, Rayman was the first game to be animated by professional cartoonists, they got the best of the best in France to work on it and it certainly shows.

The only thing the detractors have left is "Rayman wasn't made in Japan, western characters can't get in Smash!" and to that, I point out Diddy Kong. We've got this in the bag guys, we just need to keep support growing.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
What do you guys think a Rayman trailer should be like? I think it should be made in the Ubi-Art engine, having characters fight each other with the Origins/Legends art style.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah, I have no goddamn idea what Sakurai is thinking.

He HAS to know that putting out a Rayman trophy is only going to lead to a huge campaign to put him in Smash 5. And that disappointment is going to ensue.

Maybe Rayman'll be the new Ridley.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

He HAS to know that putting out a Rayman trophy is only going to lead to a huge campaign to put him in Smash 5. And that disappointment is going to ensue.

He knows that there will be a Rayman campaign.
Which is why I think appointment Will ensue.
A lot appointment.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to be classified as a "nostalgia blind fan" but Sonic has more going for him then "GOTTA GO FAST". First mascot with an attitude let alone any real personality anyone? Inspired a legion of "edgy" non-human mascots, including Crash and Spryo and Ratchet and Sly and possible Rayman as well? First mascot in video games to actually call out the competitors? Most wanted Third Party character in Brawl because of a rivalry that is still well know to this day, even by kids? Still a video game icon despite mixed reception for decades? One of the video game characters that successfully branched upon various media?

I strongly support Rayman as he along with other 3rd Party Characters have a lot going for them, but please don't revive old flame wars and put Sonic mains/fans/supporters on blast because your butthurt he got in first. That's no good. Sonic and Rayman both "deserve" to be in Smash, the end.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Gah I love the Legends accolades trailer. Such a feel good trailer especially with the music.

It would be cool if the Rayman stage had it so that all the characters and items were rendered in the Ubi-art engine.

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
I support this to hell and beyond! Rayman is my favorite video game character of all time (the original Rayman might even be my favorite game of all time)

I can see him playable because why go through all the paperwork to get him in the game if you're just going to use him as a trophy.. kinda pointless aye. (and there might be DLC and I think he's one of the most logical characters to get in)

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Rayman's sale figures are in the same ball park as Mega Man and Metal Gear. And I'd argue that Rayman is a more recognizable character than Solid Snake, especially to the Nintendo crowd.

I fully support Rayman as a character, DLC or on disc. I still wouldn't completely rule out the chance that he's playable, as it wouldn't be the first time a character was physically shown before being revealed as playable. See: Pichu in Melee.

It seems like an awful lot of work and expense to go to, to license a character like Rayman just to use him as a trophy.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
well I can only think of his neutral B being either the lum shot from rayman 2 or the wind up fist from every other game

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Ive been reading up towards this thread for a good hour now and have started thinking about the possibility of Rayman being included. Now im gonna say this to get it out of my chest. Im not really a Rayman fan. Ive never played his classic games and i was never really interested in his franchise. However, i recently got Rayman Origins on my 3DS and i really liked the game. My younger brother actually enjoyed it more than i did. Regardless, i think Origins was a very fun game and im beginning to like Rayman as a character.

Now im interested in buying Rayman Legends on the Wii U because it looks really fun. As for Rayman being playable in Smash... im not entirely set up on it yet. Though, i think his chances as DLC is pretty good. I think Rayman being a fighter makes sense considering he would fit in the cast just nicely. Now does he deserve a spot? Sure, why not? Ubisoft has been huge supporters of Nintendo and they still are. It's no secret that they love Nintendo and they're willing to do anything they can to help. They're acting a bit iffy now towards the Wii U, but thats really only cause sales of it have just now started to pick up. This holiday season will bring more hope for them and we'll get more love from them again. So yea, i support Rayman being in Smash, so you can add me on the list of supporters. The more the merrier, right? And come on, Sakurai. Dont just tease us with a trophy and just leave it at that. That would just suck. I also think it'd be fun to have a nice battle between four 3rd party reps going at it.

Also, one last thing i want to address. Im a huge Sonic fan and a good fan of Megaman, so please dont try to start any flame wars between both of them. I think i would be considered one of those "rare" Sonic fans who actually like the recent Sonic games. The only one i dont like is 06 and that's for obvious reasons. Aside from that, i really do love the franchise, but i hate to see arguments go around about different 3rd parties and who is worthy and who isn't. Rayman totally deserves a spot in Smash and im willing to support him especially since it would make my younger brother really happy to see him in the game.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Welcome to the group DarkFox. It's great to hear someone taking an interest in the Rayman franchise.

TBH this whole worthiness thing started with the Gamexplain vid, and since we didn't agree with what was said we felt the need to examine the other series present. Both sides were rooted in opinions, sure, but frankly that's just one video and not the authority. We might as well put this in the past and move on.

Man, I remember being so freaking hyped last week. Such an amazing feeling.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't want to be classified as a "nostalgia blind fan" but Sonic has more going for him then "GOTTA GO FAST". First mascot with an attitude let alone any real personality anyone? Inspired a legion of "edgy" non-human mascots, including Crash and Spryo and Ratchet and Sly and possible Rayman as well? First mascot in video games to actually call out the competitors? Most wanted Third Party character in Brawl because of a rivalry that is still well know to this day, even by kids? Still a video game icon despite mixed reception for decades? One of the video game characters that successfully branched upon various media?

I strongly support Rayman as he along with other 3rd Party Characters have a lot going for them, but please don't revive old flame wars and put Sonic mains/fans/supporters on blast because your butthurt he got in first. That's no good. Sonic and Rayman both "deserve" to be in Smash, the end.
I'm a Sonic fan too y'know. There's a big difference between a fan and a fanboy though, there's a reason the Sonic fanbase is the most infamous... I was glad to see Sonic and he certainly deserved his place. Though I do think that a lot of your statements are really stretching Sonic's relevance. There were characters with personality before Sonic, and I really don't think calling something "edgy" is a compliment... As for why he's still kicking? He's Sega's mascot.

Try not to jump the gun and call others "butthurt" over something, it's a bit rude.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Oh what the heck? I'll support Rayman as DLC. I don't really feel the magic happening because he has a trophy already. I can see why other third party characters made it in before him though

Mega Man- Everybody wanted him in for crying out loud, and he's been very quiet all around gaming save for a few Virtual Console titles in the past years.

Sonic- He's just too friendly to Nintendo, not just Sonic himself, but it's also SEGA and Nintendo being like husband/wife to each other. People saying he's ever getting cut are just waisting their time.

Pac-Man- He's just Miyamoto's all time favorite character, and Miyamoto was pretty much enough to get him in. Namco's cooperation was already referred to as insignificant for Characters ever since about a year before Pac-Man was even revealed.

Overall, it's good what you're trying to do here, so I'll support the cause for Rayman being DLC at the very least. However, I can see a few buyouts to get some of his roadblocks out of the way, so he may be a sure contender for the next title.

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
haha I that's great! still hoping he's more than just a trophy.. only time will tell

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
[quote="JamesDNaux, post: 17124030, member: 220918"]I'm a Sonic fan too y'know. There's a big difference between a fan and a fanboy though, there's a reason the Sonic fanbase is the most infamous... I was glad to see Sonic and he certainly deserved his place. Though I do think that a lot of your statements are really stretching Sonic's relevance. There were characters with personality before Sonic, and I really don't think calling something "edgy" is a compliment... As for why he's still kicking? He's Sega's mascot.

Try not to jump the gun and call others "butthurt" over something, it's a bit rude.[/quote]
No offense, but I find that incredibly hard to believe. You basically claimed that Sonic had little to no reason to be in Smash Bros and never impacted gaming unlike the other 3rd Party Characters. I stretched my statement intentionally,just like you stretched yours. Be honest, you did.There were "stealth" games and "jump and gun" games before Snake and Megaman you know. I don't see the need to be very cynical and pessimistic about Sonic's relevance...he's Sega's mascot. And? Being the mascot of a company with such a huge impact to gaming is enough. I will agree that he gets around do to Sega's whoring of the franchise, but he's not the first one to do so..:4mario::4pacman::4pikachu:. He has a lot more going for him than you think, and I doubt anyone who has ever played video games qualifies as a nostalgia blind fan for having knowledge of one of the most important times in video game history(which now has a book and movie based on it)

But yeah, Rayman's cool.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
No offense, but I find that incredibly hard to believe. You basically claimed that Sonic had little to no reason to be in Smash Bros and never impacted gaming unlike the other 3rd Party Characters. I stretched my statement intentionally,just like you stretched yours. Be honest, you did.There were "stealth" games and "jump and gun" games before Snake and Megaman you know. I don't see the need to be very cynical and pessimistic about Sonic's relevance...he's Sega's mascot. And? Being the mascot of a company with such a huge impact to gaming is enough. I will agree that he gets around do to Sega's whoring of the franchise, but he's not the first one to do so..:4mario::4pacman::4pikachu:. He has a lot more going for him than you think, and I doubt anyone who has ever played video games qualifies as a nostalgia blind fan for having knowledge of one of the most important times in video game history(which now has a book and movie based on it)

But yeah, Rayman's cool.
None of the guest characters have any reason to be in Smash, I didn't single out Sonic, you just completely misinterpreted what I said. The GameXplain guys said that Rayman "has no legacy" and "didn't contribute anything to gaming" or "isn't as old as the other guys." In which I pointed out that A: Rayman has just as much legacy as Mega Man. B: Mario and Pac-Man are the only ones who actually contributed anything of significance other than Snake popularizing a genre, jump n' shoot and "gotta go fast" are not contributions of any sort. And C: Rayman is only about four years younger than Sonic, which is the only thing I singled Sonic out over, as neither he or Rayman are as old as the other three third parties. Though, why should Sonic be special? You say that him being the mascot of a big gaming company is enough, but Rayman is the mascot of UbiSoft, another large company.

Like I said, I'm a fan of Sonic. I am not a Sonic fanboy. I enjoyed his older games and I loved seeing him in Smash. My only mention of him was because of a completely different conversation of which you apparently had no idea about.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
All right guys- I brought up a vote in the Graveyard thread to call Rayman out of his six foot depths. I explained myself there, and can quote myself here in a moment. Ultimately though, if you do not think Rayman deserves to be considered disconfirmed, head over there and show your support.

I really don't see the need, but I'll call a vote. The poll will last one day, and at least five people must vote: Shall we dig Ray Man a grave?
I've been mostly silent about what constitutes a character disconfirmation, but Rayman being considered a disconfirmation because he was shown as a trophy is just pushing it far beyond the limit.

If Rayman were just in the game as a trophy, Sakurai would have no business to even show it before the games were released, making it a fun little Easter Egg buried within.

Yet, this is not what happened. Instead, we were shown Rayman. Not just shown, but teased, and during a day we were already hyped for a character reveal, to theoretically build suspicion that he would be said character (though realistically of course not, that would be the reveal itself). Not many thought Rayman would even be in the game. Pacman's trailer seemed to put third parties to rest, especially with the gaming icons motif Sakurai stressed during the round table, being complete with the third parties present.

This reveal day was not a day we needed hype, this was not a day we needed further speculation. It was in fact a day we could have had a completely filler PotD. Instead, we got Rayman.... why? Why even bother to raise hype for a character that had virtually no hype or plausibility to his name prior?

My guess was to give us something to fall back on after the characters were in fact revealed- something to comment on i that moment, to forget about after the excitement of the new characters died down, and then to further speculate on as another wave of awesome-fan-hype-hypathon for later use. That is essentially good marketing, constant waves of something to talk about and be hyped about. This is why it happened right before the character reveal. Otherwise, there truly was no reason to even both showing Rayman.

Thus, I call Rayman's tombstone into question, and I furthermore would like to vote on the issue.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This is the kind of support I like to see, if we want a shot, we have to fight for our character. Take down any detractors, gather all supporters, make our statement loud and clear, we want Rayman as more than a trophy. He IS a big enough character to be in.

Edit: Updated OP with newest supporters, welcome to the Glade!
We're currently 45 strong, alongside Micheal Ancel himself and Rayman's trophy appearance!

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Well I've thrown down my vote. Just because a trophy is shown doesn't mean they can't be playable. It means it's unlikely, but when Sakurai makes it a point to list Brittany from Pikmin 3 as not playable, but makes no mention whatsoever for Wonder Red or Rayman, AND listing Phosphora as a regular trophy before revealing she's an assist trophy, shows that it just isn't enough to call him a disconfirmation. If he was an AT? Yeah, we've never had a character that was an AT and playable. But trophy? Characters have trophies too

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

This is why I think Rayman is in.
Also because of the marketing quell it would help to ensue to announce this right before Lucina's reveal.
But, what does Sakurai know about setting expectations...

exactly.

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
: Updated OP with newest supporters, welcome to the Glade!
We're currently 45 strong, alongside Micheal Ancel himself and Rayman's trophy appearance!
Dude I've been in the glade since 1998 when I played Rayman for the first time and I am still a huge fan to this day!
And yeah Sakurai is gonna cause riots like this.. all this teasing and stuff won't help

domokl

Smash Lord
wait a second on the smash facebook if you look in their photos you see a higher quality version of the rayman trophy posted by ubisoft. what is going on???

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Let's say Sakurai requests resources for a Rayman trophy from Ubisoft. Then Michel Ancel and the core Rayman team instead make and send a 3D model, much to Sakurai's surprise, and having an idea of what kind of guy Rayman's creator is, Sakurai receives a funny and suggestive but silly pose. It's a little inside joke from the creators that goes unnoticed for about a year, until it's revealed on the site. The news spreads like wildfire and speculation is set ablaze; during which we get a range of reactions to the pose. Some people find Rayman's look funny, others indifferent while many find it weird and/or embarrassing. Ubisoft as a company aren't too impressed with the look either due to their own self image or public response, so they whip up their own model and feature that one instead. Unlike the one revealed by Sakurai, this pose would be more in line with Rayman's usual wide-eyed grin.

This causes even more speculation; people now wonder why Sakurai would casually reveal something like this, and why Ubisoft would show off a different model. "Perhaps he's in the game and one trophy's his playable character pose while the other is simply for the trophy case" some wonder, while others theorize the trophy is animated, and has a range of facial expressions. Surely one of these theories must be the case and nothing else right?

Or perhaps, the two different trophies embody how Rayman's creator sees him, and how his company expects him to be.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
None of the guest characters have any reason to be in Smash, I didn't single out Sonic, you just completely misinterpreted what I said. The GameXplain guys said that Rayman "has no legacy" and "didn't contribute anything to gaming" or "isn't as old as the other guys." In which I pointed out that A: Rayman has just as much legacy as Mega Man. B: Mario and Pac-Man are the only ones who actually contributed anything of significance other than Snake popularizing a genre, jump n' shoot and "gotta go fast" are not contributions of any sort. And C: Rayman is only about four years younger than Sonic, which is the only thing I singled Sonic out over, as neither he or Rayman are as old as the other three third parties. Though, why should Sonic be special? You say that him being the mascot of a big gaming company is enough, but Rayman is the mascot of UbiSoft, another large company.

Like I said, I'm a fan of Sonic. I am not a Sonic fanboy. I enjoyed his older games and I loved seeing him in Smash. My only mention of him was because of a completely different conversation of which you apparently had no idea about.
After actually watching the video, I would agree. GameXplain has no idea what they are talking about regarding Rayman, "legacy" should 't be the sole factor for a guest slot. Even then, I would argue that Rayman has somewhat of a legacy and he is in the same "era" as the other mascots. You should take anything GameXplain says with a grain of salt though.

But to answer your question, Ubisoft ain't no Sega and vice-versa, simple. Agree to agree.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Know what's sad? IGN's video about the Rayman trophy was a better discussion than GameXplain's. And it wasn't even that long. It was like a minute long before they talked about the other potd's for that week.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I'm a little disappointed that they didn't do more with the death animations like they did with Mega Man. Rayman would've pulled it off so perfectly with the bubble popping from Origins/Legends.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So guys and gals, Rayman's been pronounced dead in the graveyard thread. They have obituaries in the OP so I wanna know if anyone's taking the responsibility. I mean, we are all fans of his so perhaps a fan should be the one to give him an amazing obituary. Does anyone wanna do it?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So guys and gals, Rayman's been pronounced dead in the graveyard thread. They have obituaries in the OP so I wanna know if anyone's taking the responsibility. I mean, we are all fans of his so perhaps a fan should be the one to give him an amazing obituary. Does anyone wanna do it?
I'm just going to stay away from the haters. Rayman may not be playable, but something is up.

In any case, my support and attention is 99% towards Rayman, DLC or otherwise.

Top Bottom