• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
+Rayman Trophy
-...but no Rayman
+Lucina
+Captain Falcon
+Robin (+female)
-Chrom

Overall, im still uber hyped for the day, but my heart still aches for Rayman. Hopefully DLC will happen, with Rayman and Red (101) being first in line. Its still very nice to see Sakurai giving honor to franchises and companies that have worked with Nintendo. It really is something special!

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Oops Double post (Have mercy on me, the website is blowing up right now D: )

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
+Rayman Trophy
-...but no Rayman
+Lucina
+Captain Falcon
+Robin (+female)
-Chrom

Overall, im still uber hyped for the day, but my heart still aches for Rayman. Hopefully DLC will happen, with Rayman and Red (101) being first in line. Its still very nice to see Sakurai giving honor to franchises and companies that have worked with Nintendo. It really is something special!
There is nothing saying that Wonder Red and Rayman aren't playable.
The way there trophies were handled is particularly strange to me.
Especially Rayman.

Sakurai rants for far too lengthy of a time about a process that at least I, personally, do not care to hear about. A classic psychological 'tell' to guide oneself in the art of seeing if someone is lying is to see if the person tells a lot of extraneous details in an elaborate story.
Kind of like Sakurai did.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Except that, while he may be hiding something, he never says anything about Rayman's inclusion either way. There is no lie so claiming the story as a "tell" is a bit silly.

Why he wasn't revealed I do not know but, if Rayman isn't in from the start, I will be thoroughly shocked.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Except that, while he may be hiding something, he never says anything about Rayman's inclusion either way. There is no lie so claiming the story as a "tell" is a bit silly.

Why he wasn't revealed I do not know but, if Rayman isn't in from the start, I will be thoroughly shocked.
There are many forms of lies, Hiding information explicitly is often considered one.
I'm not sitting here calling Sakurai dishonest, and I think he utilizes all of these techniques, what others consider 'trolling,' as necessarily psychological hints to actually lead us to intellectual conclusions.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's still really weird to me that Rayman got shown off like this today.
I don't think so.
It will build hype.
Build build build.
Especially if he is the last revealed newcomer.
It lets us continue to speculate until then.
What? who? why?

Oh dear!
It is only strange to me if he actually is not playable. It would be an illogical choice for POTD if he is NOT playable. An expectation set up for sakurai for no reason.
Now that it is set up, it will be a rewarding cadence to be fulfilled.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I love Rayman and I liked Orgins and Legends both games are the Best Platformers I ever played. but I think we have enough Third Parties as is we already have :4megaman:,:4pacman:,:4sonic:and I hope he returns my most wanted character to return :snake:
I'm so glad he got at least a Trophy it's the least Nintendo could do after all Ubisoft has done for Nintendo and the Wii U. I will support him to the fullest in Smash 5.

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
Praise the Lord that Rayman didn't make it in as a playable character. The past 12 hours have been extremely trying on my soul.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I support Rayman for this Smash. My last wanted newcomers are Shulk, Rayman, Ridley and Mach Rider.
Pls Sakurai.

Hong

The Strongest
Praise the Lord that Rayman didn't make it in as a playable character. The past 12 hours have been extremely trying on my soul.
No need to come into a character support thread and rub it into their faces. :/

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I'll bet that Rayman is in a similar situation now as Snake was during Melee. The creators approached Sakurai asking him to be in the game but can't fit him in due to time constraints. They appear to have gone as far with Rayman as to secure the rights from Ubisoft, but must not have had time to finish him with a unique moveset. It's looking good for Rayman as either DLC or Smash 5 so long as no issues sprout up between Ubisoft and Nintendo.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Where did the trophy come up? I saw it on IGN and thought it was fake. This is good news as it gives him a better chance.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ugh... sure wish that Sakurai added Rayman instead of Lucina...

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Oh sure, now that they show off Rayman's trophy everyone wants to come and support Rayman now. I supported Rayman before it was cool! :shades:
If we don't get Rayman playable, can we at least get a stage or at the very least some music?

For stage: Land of the Livid Dead.

Music:
Grannies World Tour

or Orchestral Chaos.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

People bring up that he doesn't deserve a spot despite the fact that we got Snake in the last game. (Not this video) Despite the fact Kojima and Sakurai are friends Snake really doesn't deserve a spot. As cool as he was. (And i wouldn't mind him back.)

Now, the people in this video bring up and interesting idea. "Friends of Nintendo" Trophy section.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I admit it. Rayman would be the BEST option for DLC character. My only but the increasing amount of "men" in Smash Bros.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The demand to get Rayman upgraded to DLC fighter needs to rocket, where are all of the Rayman fans?

The detractors are depressing, particularly GameXplain, Rayman is far better than Mega Man. He's the bloody mascot of UbiSoft.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Rayman is notable for being one of the few remaining third parties that isn't a bad idea. Some others include Black Mage, Slime, Crash Bandicoot, and Professor Layton.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Hell, back during Brawl speculation when some people thought we could get a third-third party character, everyone was clamoring for Mega Man and I was losing it over the possibility of Rayman. Even a simple trophy gave me tears of joy and has made him become possible in my mind. He was one of two characters I thought I could only dream of, so I never supported him, but now...

Everyone else is taking a backseat, because my everything is going towards Rayman becoming a fighter.
Sorry my Kremling King.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm making a video about this since everyone else on youtube seems to be dismissing the fact that a THIRD PARTY trophy got into Smash when talking about Rayman. Sure he still isn't likely, but i don't like people just pushing it aside when there's clearly a lot more to talk about when it comes to this topic.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Rayman is notable for being one of the few remaining third parties that isn't a bad idea. Some others include Black Mage, Slime, Crash Bandicoot, and Professor Layton.
Crash Bandicoot is a horrible idea for Smash Brothers. Playstation Allstars Battle Royale's never gonna happen sequel? Sure.

But Crash's history is too rooted to Sony to be considered a good third party candidate for a Nintendo all fighter. He was practically about Sony's mascot for years.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Crash Bandicoot is a horrible idea for Smash Brothers. Playstation Allstars Battle Royale's never gonna happen sequel? Sure.

But Crash's history is too rooted to Sony to be considered a good third party candidate for a Nintendo all fighter. He was practically about Sony's mascot for years.
I'm pretty sure Crash is owned by Activision.
Also, he has history with nintendo. He is in a similar position as snake, also better known for non-nintendo outings.
I definitely agree that he'd be even better in PSA.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only Crash games that mattered were for Sony Playstation 1 and only PS1.

That was Crash's hay-day in game. His legacy. He really shouldn't even be a consideration for Smash Brothers based on this alone.

I love the character, but it's just not going to happen for him.

Rayman? Bomberman? Square Enix rep? Yes/maybe. But never for Crash.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't care about any third party reps besides Snake and Rayman, but I'm not worried about "too many" third party reps either, as long as it's an actually important character. As sad as it is, Crash is dead and gone, he's just not playable material. Spyro may be big, but it's because of Skylanders, and honestly, I would gouge my eyes out if that disfigured lizard named Spyro got into Smash.

I still don't understand this slime thing, I just figure it's a joke or something. I don't know much about Professor Layton, but I don't think he's really a big name, same for the likes of Shante, etc. Black Mage certainly has no chance, just like Geno, because if Squeenix got a rep, it would be one of their big name characters. Just like how we got Pac-Man over say, Klonoa or something.

The Rayman thread certainly isn't the general third party discussion thread however, so we should get back to the topic.

Everyone band together and shout for Rayman!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I don't care about any third party reps besides Snake and Rayman, but I'm not worried about "too many" third party reps either, as long as it's an actually important character. As sad as it is, Crash is dead and gone, he's just not playable material. Spyro may be big, but it's because of Skylanders, and honestly, I would gouge my eyes out if that disfigured lizard named Spyro got into Smash.

I still don't understand this slime thing, I just figure it's a joke or something. I don't know much about Professor Layton, but I don't think he's really a big name, same for the likes of Shante, etc. Black Mage certainly has no chance, just like Geno, because if Squeenix got a rep, it would be one of their big name characters. Just like how we got Pac-Man over say, Klonoa or something.

The Rayman thread certainly isn't the general third party discussion thread however, so we should get back to the topic.

Everyone band together and shout for Rayman!
Slime is a cool character and the mascot of a great JRPG franchise. Just go to the slime thread here on the forum if you want learn more.

Anyway, yes, back on topic.

So, am I the only one who thinks Rayman's charge punch should be his side smash? Since there are better neutral special choices.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Slime is a cool character and the mascot of a great JRPG franchise. Just go to the slime thread here on the forum if you want learn more.

Anyway, yes, back on topic.

So, am I the only one who thinks Rayman's charge punch should be his side smash? Since there are better neutral special choices.
Really? Aren't slimes the easiest to defeat generic enemy in multiple different games? From what I've seen, this specific slime looks exactly the same as every other slime. What can it even do?

Rayman's punch would certainly be his side smash, though I think a unique gimmick would be that he can hold the charge and run around with it. Not like a charged projectile, but rather that he has to hold the animation and can't do anything other than move around until he has to let it go.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Really? Aren't slimes the easiest to defeat generic enemy in multiple different games? From what I've seen, this specific slime looks exactly the same as every other slime. What can it even do?

Rayman's punch would certainly be his side smash, though I think a unique gimmick would be that he can hold the charge and run around with it. Not like a charged projectile, but rather that he has to hold the animation and can't do anything other than move around until he has to let it go.
But Slime is also the protagonist of his own adventure games.
http://smashboards.com/threads/slime-flees-dragon-quests-mascots-ssb4-support-thread.336146/

So hold down the "A" button while charging. You know that gimmick should've been Mega Man's. Lol

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I'd watch Rayman for Smash 5/6 (depending on if both 3ds/wiiu are ssb4), getting a trophy is a big step for a third party with no reps. Congrats to the future...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
But Slime is also the protagonist of his own adventure games.
http://smashboards.com/threads/slime-flees-dragon-quests-mascots-ssb4-support-thread.336146/

So hold down the "A" button while charging. You know that gimmick should've been Mega Man's. Lol
Wait, so it is just a generic enemy? Mascot or not, that'd be worse than a Goomba being playable considering it's third party. Shouldn't the main protagonist be the one with a thread?

More like:
When you charge the smash, it won't auto release and you can move around with it for as long as you hold the button. During this time, you can jump, but you can't use any other attack, dodge, grab, etc until you release the attack.

I've got a whole moveset drawn up actually, I've got to find where I've saved it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Saying that Crash has too much history with PlayStation is like saying that Sonic has too much history with Genesis.
But I completely support Rayman as DLC. I'd also love to see Crash, though he is unlikely.
Right now, Banjo-Kazooie is impossible, but I honestly hope Microsoft either sells of Rare or just stops making consoles.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Rayman should have a stage, no more. Maby next game.

I disagree. A stage would be too much if he's not in the game and brings attention to him not being playable. An unprecedented trophy, while noteworthy in and of itself is a good nod and not as suspicious as a stage with an absentee owner.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well Rayman just dropped down the page incredibly fast, you'd think a random third party trophy would have people more buzzed up than this... Anyway, there's a particular interview with Ancel that really makes me feel that Rayman could be DLC, or even playable.

The interview is around a year old, which I suspect would be around the time when the exchange happened with Sakurai.
Here's the particular quote:
GZ: This is probably the most important question I have to ask: Can Rayman kick Mario's ass?

MA: Uh, maybe we'll have the answer very soon. (laughs)
This sounds like Ancel got in contact with Sakurai and had just sent off the model to him, waiting for an answer to Rayman's fate.

Could we possibly have the answer soon? I really do want to know who will win in that fight, and many others...

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
In case it isn't clear, I totally support Rayman as DLC. He'd fit right in.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yea I remember that interview. I thought it might've been a hint but I didn't get my hopes up.

So about that Gamexplain vid, I liked the discussion. All 3 brought up valid points but it seems like 2/3s of them simply don't want him in. Saying that you don't want Rayman's presence to bring down your hype is like me saying Jigglypuff ruins the grandness of Smash. I simply never pick her and it's to the point where I forget she's even there, and when i do have to fight her it's just a mild surprise to see her. Surely people can say the same about their least-liked character.

The floodgate part is interesting, and tbh I can't think of what his inclusion would lead to. He wouldn't lower the bar as most of his games are very well received, especially the last 2, and after starting the 3rd Party Fire with Snake we've been broken out of some pretty traditional mindsets already. Frankly Snake IS the floodgate; I bet during pre-Brawl his announcement was utterly alien to them, and his presence is only not-so-inflammatory to them because they've had +6 years to adjust.
We've got the guy with almost no association with Nintendo, an old friend of the NES, the arcade phenomenon, and a humbled rival. I know they've got more star power than him, but Rayman would fit in with the cast, and I've always thought that 5 3rd Party fighters would be a reasonable limit for this installment.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Honestly, Rayman's inclusion wouldn't lead to anything really. Other than Ubisoft making more games for the Wii U probably. But the gamexplain guys are exaggerating over nothing. If we were to be flooded with guests then it would've happened after Snake's reveal.

Top Bottom