• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Um they are obviously not if they already have a game that they are holding. For God's sake guys did y'all even look at the date on that report that was posted above? It says June 4, 2014 the install base is MUCH bigger now, that game will be released this year I guarantee it.
Well, Ubisoft hasn't said a single word since then. All we need is a reconfirmation to ease our minds to make sure they haven't gone and cancelled it. Let's hope whatever Wii U game they have in store, it better be good.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought... wouldn't Rayman be too big to be a DLC character? So they'd rather save him for a surprise reveal for the next Smash?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Just a thought... wouldn't Rayman be to big to be a DLC character? So they'd rather save him for a surprise reveal for the next Smash?
That's more reason for him to be DLC, really.
A character from another company that many people know would sell way more than say, Pichu.

I think it's far too early to even think about the next Smash. That's at least gotta be a decade away, right?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That's more reason for him to be DLC, really.
A character from another company that many people know would sell way more than say, Pichu.

I think it's far too early to even think about the next Smash. That's at least gotta be a decade away, right?
Nah, just 6-7 years...:crying:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Yep, it's going to be a long time. When you think about that Sakurai considers this as the last entry of Smash (as always...), he might use the opportunity to deliver some more content via DLC. In my opinion, Rayman is one of the last iconic & classic video game characters that would fit to Smash. Okay, maybe Bomberman, but that one got way out of sight for a long time...

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
My hopes are not that high for Rayman at Apex, but I think E3 would be a great time to announce him. If you guys have noticed, both E3 2013 and E3 2014 have given us two third-party newcomers,:4megaman: and :4pacman:. It seems like Sakurai wants to save the third-party bombshells for E3, so we could expect Rayman @ E3 2015. (And yes, I know Sonic was announced in October 2013, but he was a veteran fighter.)

Also, this thread seems like a ghost town. Where's your Year of Rayman spirit, guys?

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Please say "might" - I want to believe, but I also hate being disappointed :) We still need to see what DLC-related-aftermath the release of Mewtwo's causing...

Last edited:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
6-7 years is still close to a decade. The last thing I need is to wait for another Smash Bros game for any sign of Rayman being playable or not when I'm close to my 30's by then. I'm willing to bet for a certain announcement this E3, since Ubisoft might hopefully announce some stuff related to Rayman for his big 20th. I won't be expecting any huge news related to Rayman this APEX, unless Ubisoft teases something regarding it. Then again, the only thing planned for release this year is the History of Rayman book from Pix n' Love for the English readers. I hope this applies to the US audience as well.

And I have to agree with @ ThePenguinGamer0 ThePenguinGamer0 , I find the lack of Year of Rayman spirit here very disturbing. So I'm going to go ahead and post something here to spread said spirit. I've created this about a week ago, my first attempt of a Rayman themed custom stage, officially titled Rayman 1:

This stage is more geared for 1-on-1 battles and advanced players. It's great for racking up damage percentages on your opponents due to the tight spaces, but it can also happen to you as well, so there's a huge risk factor to this. Also, I do not recommend using characters who are poor jumpers, like Little Mac, for this since it's a little difficult for stage recovery. That's why I put a cannon on the right side in case anyone ends up on that side.

I'm thinking of recreating the very first stage from Rayman 1's Pink Plant Wood, in addition to some other ideas.

BTW, speaking of Mewtwo DLC, has anybody heard of Club Nintendo closing down this March, but will be still open for prize redemption until June? So if you want the chance in redeeming for said free DLC code, now's the time to do so.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My internet is out at home so I've only been able to get online by visiting my mom. Still waiting for the repair guys to do their job...

I've been eagerly awaiting the English release of the History of Rayman book, no one over at RPC seems too keen about sharing any spoilers on the book, so it'll be a fresh read, at least. I do still hope for that 3D Rayman game that was mentioned..

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
This could mean nothing in the end, but...

On the Rayman Facebook page, the latest post uses THIS of all fan artwork. Take a look!

"A ‪#‎TBT‬ ‪#‎Rayman‬ Fanimation for you! Something old, something borrowed, something new… a big thanks to fan artist Anthony-Philippeau for sharing his vision for Rayman 4 on DeviantArt."

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
My internet is out at home so I've only been able to get online by visiting my mom. Still waiting for the repair guys to do their job...

I've been eagerly awaiting the English release of the History of Rayman book, no one over at RPC seems too keen about sharing any spoilers on the book, so it'll be a fresh read, at least. I do still hope for that 3D Rayman game that was mentioned..

Yeah, though they do mention about some juicy tidbits,
about some unused bosses in Rayman Legends, as well as some unreleased games that would be like a proper sequel to Rayman 2. There was going to be a human girl character in one of said games, long before Barbara since they wanted to include a female human in it for a long time. As for the 3D Rayman, you heard about how due to the poor sales of Rayman Legends they cancelled the 3D prototype for the XBONE and PS4, and they're thinking that Rayman won't sell good for home consoles anymore. :( I hope that's not the case for this year.

BTW, I can't help but to think that if the Smash Bros trophies of Rayman and co. were used to test out Rayman in 3D or if they were going to be in the 3D Rayman but were scrapped and their assets were given to Sakurai to use as trophies.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'm too lazy to look this up online:dizzy:...

When is the History of Rayman book coming to U.S.?
From what I heard, it may be awhile, the company making it has a ton of other projects. I just hope it comes out this year, I got their History of Sonic book a couple years ago and that was very well made.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
How true is the claim that Rayman was meant to appear in Smash but was cut due to time constraints? I remember hearing it but never validating the info myself.

Also lmao @ all the poles on the Raymiibo

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
From what I heard, it may be awhile, the company making it has a ton of other projects. I just hope it comes out this year, I got their History of Sonic book a couple years ago and that was very well made.
Yeah, the History of Sonic book was great! I hope Rayman's history book has a similar layout.

Speaking of Sonic, it's almost the end of January and there's still no news on Sonic Runners.:ohwell:

How true is the claim that Rayman was meant to appear in Smash but was cut due to time constraints? I remember hearing it but never validating the info myself.
It was probably on some Reddit article. I wouldn't trust anything on Reddit, but the situation seems possible.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Also lmao @ all the poles on the Raymiibo
Rayman being cut was never confirmed, but it is theorized that Ubisoft asked to include him, but was too late, that's about it.

I'm surprised no one has asked Sakuari about Rayman's trophy in interviews, I know Commander Video was put in to show Nintendo's relationship with indies, but nothing on Rayman.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I'm surprised no one has asked Sakuari about Rayman's trophy in interviews, I know Commander Video was put in to show Nintendo's relationship with indies, but nothing on Rayman.
This is what baffles me about Smash interviews. Have people lost all curiosity on the fact that a character from a third-party franchise that has not seen any playable appearance in Smash is appearing as a TROPHY of all things? I honestly want to know the backstory of the dang trophy already.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I would probably email Nintendo personally about that matter, but that would be jinxing Rayman's chances, now would it?

I don't know if should take Rayman not being mentioned in any of the Smash Bros interviews as a good thing or a bad thing. :/

Either way, I hope the Pix N' Love book comes to the US at a reasonable price. I better start saving up until then.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I would probably email Nintendo personally about that matter, but that would be jinxing Rayman's chances, now would it?

I don't know if should take Rayman not being mentioned in any of the Smash Bros interviews as a good thing or a bad thing. :/
I guess it's best to keep it a secret for now. Maybe some people actually want him in, unlike GameXplain, and are still
holding on to the fact that he might still be playable through DLC. Either that, or people just don't care as much as we do.:smirk:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I guess it's best to keep it a secret for now. Maybe some people actually want him in, unlike GameXplain, and are still
holding on to the fact that he might still be playable through DLC. Either that, or people just don't care as much as we do.:smirk:
My respect for GameXplain ended up dying drastically after their remark of saying that Rayman isn't iconic as Mario and Sonic, and thinking that the Rabbids would be a 'better choice' than him. If Rayman does make it in as DLC, I'm going to take my sweet time by gloating in their faces via Twitter on how wrong they were.

Anyway, I'm going to give them three months tops before I message them again, demanding a good explanation on why Rayman's a trophy.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
The statement about Mario and Sonic is fair enough, but saying the God damned Rabbids would be a better choice is blasphemy. That'd be like me saying that a Chao should be in Smash as opposed to Sonic. Worse actually, at least Chao Garden was fun, Rabbids just deprived the Rayman series of a proper game for years on end.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I remember the discussion as clear as day. They said they would be okay with a Rayman stage but NOT Rayman being playable.

What were they drinking? Plum Juice?

Also, I'm sure Shovel Knight is an amazing game and he would have a good moveset, but a lot of people have forgot that the roster was decided in 2012, and Shovel Knight came out early 2014. No offense, but Shovel Knight doesn't have a chance against Rayman, no matter how great the game is.

"I would go nuts for Shovel Knight..."
Good for you!:laugh:

Anyway, enough GayXplain bashing for now.

While we're waiting for Rayman's appearance in the official Super Smash Bros., has anyone here played Super Smash Bros. Crusade? Is it a good game, and is Rayman a good character to use in said game?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I remember the discussion as clear as day. They said they would be okay with a Rayman stage but NOT Rayman being playable.

What were they drinking? Plum Juice?

Also, I'm sure Shovel Knight is an amazing game and he would have a good moveset, but a lot of people have forgot that the roster was decided in 2012, and Shovel Knight came out early 2014. No offense, but Shovel Knight doesn't have a chance against Rayman, no matter how great the game is.

"I would go nuts for Shovel Knight..."
Good for you!:laugh:

Anyway, enough GayXplain bashing for now.

While we're waiting for Rayman's appearance in the official Super Smash Bros., has anyone here played Super Smash Bros. Crusade? Is it a good game, and is Rayman a good character to use in said game?
@AndreGX is actually from game explain...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
A lot of people make the mistake of thinking Rayman isn't iconic. I won't blame anyone for that, some people know some things but are blind to others, there are kids today that don't know who Paul McCartney is...

Hell, I had never heard of Mega Man until some time around Brawl speculation, which is the only reason I found out about him.

I don't put down opinions either, if they simply don't like Rayman, that's cool. But the fact is that Rayman is the mascot of one of the biggest companies in gaming, and if that isn't on par with Mega Man, then something is seriously wrong.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I don't put down opinions either, if they simply don't like Rayman, that's cool. But the fact is that Rayman is the mascot of one of the biggest companies in gaming, and if that isn't on par with Mega Man, then something is seriously wrong.
If they would rather have Shovel Knight or Bayonetta in Smash than an icon like Rayman, THEN something's wrong.:laugh:

I can respect opinions, but I can't stand bias. If ya don't like Rayman, that's fine! It's an opinion. But when people say things like "Smash has enough third-party characters" because THEY think it does, then that's bias towards yourself.

As long as the character is a rational choice, like Rayman or Bomberman, and not dumb, like Shadow or Shrek, then people should be able to have their own wants for Smash.;)

I hope I made this statement without coming off as a fool.:grin:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If they would rather have Shovel Knight or Bayonetta in Smash than an icon like Rayman, THEN something's wrong.:laugh:

I can respect opinions, but I can't stand bias. If ya don't like Rayman, that's fine! It's an opinion. But when people say things like "Smash has enough third-party characters" because THEY think it does, then that's bias towards yourself.

As long as the character is a rational choice, like Rayman or Bomberman, and not dumb, like Shadow or Shrek, then people should be able to have their own wants for Smash.;)

There's a poll going around where Bayonetta is higher than Rayman (what a disgrace). She has two games and hasn't even been around for a decade, she isn't anywhere close to Sakurai's description of an iconic third party character. Plus Sonic is already in the game, and she's owned by Sega. There's no specific rule against that, but do we seriously need multiples from one company?

Personally, I put Bomberman with Bayonetta, solely on the second part, being that Konami already... had a character.

If Bomberman ever gets in over Snake coming back. . . . . .

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Right, I forgot about Solid Snake! Shame on me!

As long as the character is a rational choice, like Rayman or Solid Snake, and not dumb, like Shadow or Shrek, then people should be able to have their own wants for Smash.;)

Fix'd!:snake:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
To be fair, I don't really like using Snake all that much. I'm not saying that he's a bad choice, but if you put him next to the third party roster, he would feel a bit out of place compared to Rayman.

Again, sorry to all the Solid Snake fans out there, but I'm putting my priorities in making Rayman playable before any other character does.

(This is a Rayman DLC support thread, you know)

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
There's a poll going around where Bayonetta is higher than Rayman (what a disgrace). She has two games and hasn't even been around for a decade, she isn't anywhere close to Sakurai's description of an iconic third party character. Plus Sonic is already in the game, and she's owned by Sega. There's no specific rule against that, but do we seriously need multiples from one company?

Personally, I put Bomberman with Bayonetta, solely on the second part, being that Konami already... had a character.

Bayonetta's probably winning that poll because she's hot and over-the-top. Many might just be choosing based on who looks cooler.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Bayonetta's probably winning that poll because she's hot and over-the-top. Many might just be choosing based on who looks cooler.

Pfft. I'm not surprised. I never really had much interest in her games, even if they are Wii U exclusives. Thankfully, from what I heard, the people at Platinum Games stated that they have no interest in including her as a playable character in Smash Bros, but I could be wrong. But in any case, since she's a SEGA IP and Sonic is already in, there's definitely no chance of her being included, let alone as even a trophy.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Bayonetta would have to be butchered heavily to match ratings and whatnot, plus Platinum doesn't have interest in adding her anyway.

speaking honestly i'd love the masked lumen in smash but whatevs

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yep, it's going to be a long time. When you think about that Sakurai considers this as the last entry of Smash (as always...), he might use the opportunity to deliver some more content via DLC. In my opinion, Rayman is one of the last iconic & classic video game characters that would fit to Smash. Okay, maybe Bomberman, but that one got way out of sight for a long time...
At first I was like "I don't remember saying this".

Nice Avatar ;).

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Bayonetta would have to be butchered heavily to match ratings and whatnot, plus Platinum doesn't have interest in adding her anyway.

speaking honestly i'd love the masked lumen in smash but whatevs
I can't even comprehend why people even think she has any chance whatsoever.

Tharja had nothing but a trophy and it was apparently removed because Tharja is too much for the poor innocent children.

If Tharja is too "adult," then there's no way in hell that Bayonetta will appear as anything, let alone a playable fighter.

Top Bottom