• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Add me on the list.
People, you shouldn't be expecting anything though. Sakurai could've added +50 more highly requested characters to the Wii U version, but he didn't. He doesn't even considere DLC that much, even though it would be obivous for this kind of game. If you look closely, this game doesn't differ much from Brawl. Patches are being made, but they're useless, low tier characters stay low tier.
He could not have added 50+ more highly requested characters into the game, unless he wanted to delay the game for another 3+ years.

He isn't considering DLC yet as he is more concerned with finishing the game first, however he's said he's open to the idea once the game is finished.

And we've already seen that balance patches exist, though I don't see why that really matters.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Remember when Sakurai said that there were no plans for DLC way back before we knew about Mewtwo?

And then Mewtwo. Gee, I wonder.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Remember when Sakurai said that there were no plans for DLC way back before we knew about Mewtwo?

And then Mewtwo. Gee, I wonder.
It's well known that Sakurai was considering Mewtwo before 2013 ended.

It's highly possible that he was intended to be put in the game at launch, but didn't make it due to time constraints, so instead he's being made as DLC. Or maybe Nintendo specifically asked him to be left as DLC so they could make him a part of that promotion for buying both versions of the game, thus making the act of buying both versions seem more worthwhile for consumers.

Sakurai's recent interview was in relation to PREMIUM DLC (i.e. DLC you pay for directly), which Mewtwo is not. Mewtwo is a free bonus for buying a copy of both versions of the game. He will later be available to purchase for those who missed the promotion, but that's not the same as designing something solely to be paid DLC.

It's also been mentioned by him, that Mewtwo is testing the waters. If Sakurai has no plans for premium DLC and Mewtwo is testing the waters for the concept, then it's likely they literally are not developing any DLC right now, besides Mewtwo. Meaning any potential DLC will be a long time coming (as in, a year from now), or will be based off of scrapped characters, which probably includes Wolf and Lucas.

In hindsight, this all means that Rayman is, very likely, not being planned as DLC right now. So he's certainly not a sure fire addition, no more than any other character, even if he has got a surprising amount of trophy love. I'm not saying he's out of the running (Mewtwo had trophies before his playable announcement). Let's not lose our heads, though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Large post.
I think you completely misunderstood what I said.

Sakurai says things and then goes back on what he says. He also just says things to keep up a good image, so you can't really take anything at face value. I'm saying this in regards to any DLC, not just Rayman.

No one ever said that Rayman was surefire either, we're just trying to be optimistic.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Of course, but Mewtwo is not an example of this.

Plus, him saying he wasn't planning DLC is not the same as saying he was never gonna do it. In those earlier interviews, he was still very much in the heat of making the core games. DLC is the last thing that was going to be on his mind.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What if the many Rayman trophies are in the game because Rayman Legends was published in Japan, in a similar sense to Culdcept, perhaps it doesn't mean much as we thought.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, the important thing to remember is that the game is out now. Right now, they'll be working on fixing anything before releasing it to other regions, and once everyone has the game we're golden. So either they'll be working on Mewtwo and Mewtwo alone, or they'll start working on other characters as well. Now, I strongly believe that any veterans that may return will be the first characters to show up, before any other newcomers, but if Rayman (or Snake, even) are planned to show up, or are in negotiations, then once licensing is dealt with, they would become higher priority on the "DLC list" by virtue of what they are.

Right now, it isn't a matter of if and who will be DLC, it's a matter of waiting to see what happens with Mewtwo. It's key for us to continue supporting Rayman. Just remember that anything Sakurai says on the matter of DLC is nothing but PR speak, if he says that "yes, we planned DLC and it's on the way," then it looks bad on him, but him dismissing DLC is both a way to keep a good image, and as we know he loves to do, keep anything he is planning a secret. Just keep all options open, but remember to keep expectations in check. Rayman has extra trophies, could it mean that he's more likely to show up? We'd sure love that! But as Blue brought up, it could be the publishing thing, or any number of other reasons.

Finally, while he isn't playable, and we have no idea if he might show up as DLC, we still have something great, with not just Rayman, but Globox, Barbara, and perhaps more even, Rayman's franchise has a solid foot within Smash.

Cheers to all the constant supporters!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Snake and Rayman are some of the only third parties I support.

Here's hoping! :awesome:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Gotta say though, Rayman trophy's eye lids look a little weird from the front.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I don't really like this character, but I cannot understand for the life of me why they'd bother to go through all the legal trouble of getting permission to use him in the game, just to make him an inanimate trophy. Why wouldn't they just make him playable?

Maybe they can make something happen here, but I doubt they will.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I kinda chuckled when I saw this in my inbox without context.

Regardless, it would be great if people purchased this game, even if it's really just an expansion of Fiesta Run. All proceeds go towards helping those who are fighting AIDs.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I have a feeling that when Nintendo said they have more surprises this year, they mean Smash Bros. DLC. Wolf, K. Rool, Issac, and Rayman seem the most likely.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I have a feeling that when Nintendo said they have more surprises this year, they mean Smash Bros. DLC. Wolf, K. Rool, Issac, and Rayman seem the most likely.
Don't forget about Snake! :awesome:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Don't forget about Snake! :awesome:
I think all vets will return eventually. But Snake would require licensing. Kojima has expressed his wish for Snake to be in Smash 4, so that's positive for him.
Don't get me wrong. I would love to see Snake return. But he has the burden of being 3rd party still.

Spongyoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
spongyoshi
3DS FC
3523-2485-5804
Would love to see Rayman in it! That's the character i want the most in Smash Bros series!
Moveset=Perfect (Platform & Fighting fist combo!!)
Personality & design=Awesome (Simple personality but unique design)
Soundtrack=Epic (Rayman Theme from Rayman Arena Remix OMG)

Also,can we still post our own moveset and ideas for him? :p

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I just need Rayman and Snake and I'll be golden.

I'd love King K. Rool, but the other two are top priority for me.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Raymans taunts I made up:
Up taunt: Globox appears and Rayman high-fives them then he disappears in blue smoke

Side taunt: Rayman does the peace symbol like in his other idle animations

Down taunt: Rayman disassembles him self and then reassembles.

Pallete swaps:

Rayman
Globox outfit for Rayman
Betilla color scheme for Rayman
Raymans purple shirt is red and his scarf is blue
Raymans hair, scarf and yellow part of the shoes, circle on shirt are black, the skin, shirt and rest of the parts are white
Dark Rayman
Color scheme of Teensy
Rabbid color scheme

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Raymans taunts I made up:
Up taunt: Globox appears and Rayman high-fives them then he disappears in blue smoke

Side taunt: Rayman does the peace symbol like in his other idle animations

Down taunt: Rayman disassembles him self and then reassembles.
But Rayman NEEDS his grimace from Rayman 3 as a taunt, the one that reverts hoodlums to red lums. Also I hardly imagine a character making a cameo for a taunt, if anything I imagine Globox appearing in his victory pose similarly to Chrom/Robin. A Globox Assist Trophy could be cool as well - for example, he would move and jump similarly to Magnus or Ghirahim if there's no enemy close to him, and attack with the tiny storm cloud he uses in Rayman 2 to open laser doors. Though this would require the ability to add DLC Assist Trophies, and I admit it would be criminal in a way to have a Rayman Assist Trophy over a Donkey Kong or Pikmin one :glare:

Pallete swaps:

Rayman
Globox outfit for Rayman
Raymans hair, scarf and yellow part of the shoes, circle on shirt are black, the skin, shirt and rest of the parts are white
Dark Rayman
Color scheme of Teensy
Rabbid color scheme
I think that the Japanese blue Rayman needs to be somewhere, because his shirt has its color changed to blue in Japan for cultural reasons - purple being the color assiciated to death. And it would even probably be his default color in Japan, with the purple one being default everywhere else, similarly to R.O.B.

As someone who wants Rayman for primarily nostalgic reasons I hope that he will come with elements not coming from only Origins and Legends. I have not played those games yet, there's probably moveset potential coming from those games, but I don't want to be spoiled about moveset potential or other contents from at least Legends. But oh God I would be so hyped if he could summon a purple lum with a light rod for his recovery, ride a shell*, or use various power-ups from Rayman 3.

* I'm French and I don't know their English name, I just gave a litteral translation of their French name "obus". I'm talking about those running yellow explosive things you can ride from Rayman 2. Oh, being French is yet another reason for me to want Rayman, due to him being a French mascot!

Rayman 3 is my second all-time favourite 3D platformer, just behind Mario 64, and I'd love to see a new high-quality Rayman 3D platformer with its charming universe and humor. Take what made Rayman 3 good, add even more secret zones and make it a bit less linear, and it would become a day-one buy from me as well as an actual competition to Mario, the only franchise with high-quality 3D platformers nowadays. I remember those days when I was a kid, I thought that 3D platformer were the most common video games around, and I associated video games in general with this specific genre. Oh God those times are now far behind me.

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
But Rayman NEEDS his grimace from Rayman 3 as a taunt, the one that reverts hoodlums to red lums. Also I hardly imagine a character making a cameo for a taunt, if anything I imagine Globox appearing in his victory pose similarly to Chrom/Robin. A Globox Assist Trophy could be cool as well - for example, he would move and jump similarly to Magnus or Ghirahim if there's no enemy close to him, and attack with the tiny storm cloud he uses in Rayman 2 to open laser doors. Though this would require the ability to add DLC Assist Trophies, and I admit it would be criminal in a way to have a Rayman Assist Trophy over a Donkey Kong or Pikmin one :glare:

I think that the Japanese blue Rayman needs to be somewhere, because his shirt has its color changed to blue in Japan for cultural reasons - purple being the color assiciated to death. And it would even probably be his default color in Japan, with the purple one being default everywhere else, similarly to R.O.B.

As someone who wants Rayman for primarily nostalgic reasons I hope that he will come with elements not coming from only Origins and Legends. I have not played those games yet, there's probably moveset potential coming from those games, but I don't want to be spoiled about moveset potential or other contents from at least Legends. But oh God I would be so hyped if he could summon a purple lum with a light rod for his recovery, ride a shell*, or use various power-ups from Rayman 3.

* I'm French and I don't know their English name, I just gave a litteral translation of their French name "obus". I'm talking about those running yellow explosive things you can ride from Rayman 2. Oh, being French is yet another reason for me to want Rayman, due to him being a French mascot!

Rayman 3 is my second all-time favourite 3D platformer, just behind Mario 64, and I'd love to see a new high-quality Rayman 3D platformer with its charming universe and humor. Take what made Rayman 3 good, add even more secret zones and make it a bit less linear, and it would become a day-one buy from me as well as an actual competition to Mario, the only franchise with high-quality 3D platformers nowadays. I remember those days when I was a kid, I thought that 3D platformer were the most common video games around, and I associated video games in general with this specific genre. Oh God those times are now far behind me.
shows how rayman is deadly then! nah jk but why is the purple color the symbol of death?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Pallete swaps:

Rayman
Globox outfit for Rayman
Dark Rayman
Color scheme of Teensy
Rabbid color scheme
I'd have Rayman's palette swaps be the colors he has when he obtains the power-ups in Rayman 3.

Regarding the color of death thing, I'm not really sure how true that is. With the exception of Rayman 2, Rayman still has his purple shirt in the Japanese versions of the games.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
But Rayman NEEDS his grimace from Rayman 3 as a taunt, the one that reverts hoodlums to red lums.
This ability comes from the first Rayman actually, though it only scared one specific enemy and did nothing else.

shows how rayman is deadly then! nah jk but why is the purple color the symbol of death?
This is false, actually. In Japan, purple is associated with royalty, health, etc. We don't know why they changed his colour, but they stopped doing it, since he's purple in Origins/Legends in Japan. He would be the same in Smash.

They are called shells, walking or flying. I'd say that most of his standards should come from Origins/Legends, since they fit perfectly. He has to have the charged shot from Rayman 2 as a special, though.

I thought Rayman 3 was his most disappointing outing, personally. Maybe it was because Ancel had nothing to do with the game, or the complete lack of backtracking, but it really feels like the black sheep of the franchise to me (Rabbids excluded.)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Speaking of alt colours:

Rayman Vortex Heavy Metal Fist Lockjaw Shock Rocket Throttle Copter "Raymesis" Golden Fists(?)

Using the Laser Washing Powder from Rayman 3, and NotActuallyDark Rayman from Origins/Legends leaves one space open.
I wanted something resembling the golden fists from Rayman 1 and 2, and I threw in the green hood to make it stand out more.

If anyone has a better idea for the eighth alt, go ahead and throw your thoughts out.

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Speaking of alt colours:

Rayman Vortex Heavy Metal Fist Lockjaw Shock Rocket Throttle Copter "Raymesis" Golden Fists(?)

Using the Laser Washing Powder from Rayman 3, and NotActuallyDark Rayman from Origins/Legends leaves one space open.
I wanted something resembling the golden fists from Rayman 1 and 2, and I threw in the green hood to make it stand out more.

If anyone has a better idea for the eighth alt, go ahead and throw your thoughts out.
I don't understand why people don't think there should be a Globox pallete swap, of course there are Globox fans out there who like him more then Rayman.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Speaking of alt colours:

It may be too similar to the default outfit, but what about this as an alt?
upload_2014-11-26_18-14-43.jpeg

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't understand why people don't think there should be a Globox pallete swap, of course there are Globox fans out there who like him more then Rayman.
I never said that there shouldn't be a Globox alt, I like Globox just as much as any other Rayman fan.

Liking him more than Rayman is a bit off though, since Rayman is kind of the main protagonist. Different strokes.
It may be too similar to the default outfit, but what about this as an alt?
View attachment 30995
Those colours are exactly the same.

If you mean as a proper costume, I doubt it. Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man never got costume changes. I'd so love his R2 look though.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

If you mean as a proper costume, I doubt it. Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man never got costume changes. I'd so love his R2 look though.
Your probably right, I still don't get why the 3rd parties didn't get alts. Megaman in X's armor would of been awesome.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I never said that there shouldn't be a Globox alt, I like Globox just as much as any other Rayman fan.

Liking him more than Rayman is a bit off though, since Rayman is kind of the main protagonist. Different strokes.

I know what you mean, im just saying they even already made a Globox outfit for Rayman in the series, so they really don't have to take the trouble to come up with a idea for a pallete costume, but yeah, I love those other ones, really digging that lock-jaw swap. And there are Wario fans who use Mario as a Wario costume just because they like Mario better then Wario but don't like the moveset.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I know what you mean, im just saying they even already made a Globox outfit for Rayman in the series, so they really don't have to take the trouble to come up with a idea for a pallete costume
I didn't go through the trouble to come up with pallets, the first five after Rayman himself are the Laser Washing Powders from Rayman 3, already perfect for alts. Then Dark Rayman, who just has to be there. The only reason I didn't use Globray for the last one is because there's already way more than enough blue spread across the outfits. This isn't Fire Emblem after all.
It would also be a bit difficult to make.

Edit: Just got Rayman's trophy! This makes me both insanely happy and depressed at the same time.

So close...

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Speaking of alt colours:

Pretty cool! You can't have palette swaps without Dark Rayman. (Raymesis?)
I made one for fun back in late 2012, along with one for a AttP Link character. (which I posted on a Classic Link thread here)
palatte swaps.png

The last one is the Dark Rayman from the GBC game. The one before it is from the original Rayman.

---

Last edited:
Top Bottom