• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Right now, I'm very interseted to see how the DLC situation goes down. Effectively, if the Smash Bros devs are given a big budget to work with, I'd say it's feesible we get entirely new characters. They could also be given a smaller budget, to just work on Mewtwo and not much else character-wise (DLC might be free but workhours aren't), possible some easier Brawl-ported clones. I'd presume putting Rayman in as a character would be costlier then other Nintendo characters, due to licenses ETC.

I can think of some Nintendo characters, but out of all the third-party characters that would have a shot, Rayman's deffo up there with the best. He also has a large array of possible moves, so moveset-wise it'd seem that he'd be easy to compile the entire list of moves.

I'd presume he'd thematically take a lot from Origins / Legends, and the original Rayman. Possibly 2, and though it pains me personally, probably not 3.
I hope he has moves from that game, even if it's just the Lockjaw as a grab. It's my favorite game in the series and I hope it would get some sort of representation if he was included.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Right now, I'm very interseted to see how the DLC situation goes down. Effectively, if the Smash Bros devs are given a big budget to work with, I'd say it's feesible we get entirely new characters. They could also be given a smaller budget, to just work on Mewtwo and not much else character-wise (DLC might be free but workhours aren't), possible some easier Brawl-ported clones. I'd presume putting Rayman in as a character would be costlier then other Nintendo characters, due to licenses ETC.

I can think of some Nintendo characters, but out of all the third-party characters that would have a shot, Rayman's deffo up there with the best. He also has a large array of possible moves, so moveset-wise it'd seem that he'd be easy to compile the entire list of moves.

I'd presume he'd thematically take a lot from Origins / Legends, and the original Rayman. Possibly 2, and though it pains me personally, probably not 3.
On the flip side, third party characters could be MOST likely.
If said party funds the characters fully, they are (more likely) allowed.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Quick imagining of a Rayman Amiibo:

Those support beams...

I'd still buy it instantly. We need that Rayman DLC.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For a Rayman Amiibo, they could pose him around some kind of structure, like this:

Just thought I'd chime in on that since I noticed the discussion.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
For a Rayman Amiibo, they could pose him around some kind of structure, like this:

Just thought I'd chime in on that since I noticed the discussion.
That was the first thing I thought of, but the Amiibos are all based on the official renders of the characters, so it wouldn't work.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That was the first thing I thought of, but the Amiibos are all based on the official renders of the characters, so it wouldn't work.
Except Rayman doesn't have an official render right now. Hypothetically, if he got one, they could incorporate something like that.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So he would have a random object in his render? One which has nothing to do with him or what he could potentially do?
A relic from the Glade of Dreams, possibly taken from his associated stage?

It's not that hard to come up with these things. It's better than having all of those poles.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
"We got the rights to include this third party character in Smash Bros, guess we'll have to cut him because we can't make a toy".:p
You know, I bet Ubisoft pulled a Kojima and asked for Rayman too far into development, causing them to have to say no to him...or postone him?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You know, I bet Ubisoft pulled a Kojima and asked for Rayman too far into development, causing them to have to say no to him...or postone him?
This is exactly what I've been saying this whole time. Kojima asked for Snake in Melee, and ended up getting him in Brawl. Rayman has a trophy because Ubisoft clearly asked for his inclusion, but why wouldn't they ask for him to be playable? I think it's clear that they were late, but at that point, Sakurai had agreed to the idea of DLC, and put him in the game as a trophy. Since they have the licensing already, making him playable via DLC will only take the effort of a regular character.

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Honestly Rayman probably has the best chance of any 3rd party character to get into the game as dlc so I am happy. Sorry Black Mage :( (I am probably the only person who wants black mage)

ANyways though Rayman fans may something to really look forward to :D and hopefully a stage will accompany him!

D

Deleted member

This is exactly what I've been saying this whole time. Kojima asked for Snake in Melee, and ended up getting him in Brawl. Rayman has a trophy because Ubisoft clearly asked for his inclusion, but why wouldn't they ask for him to be playable? I think it's clear that they were late, but at that point, Sakurai had agreed to the idea of DLC, and put him in the game as a trophy. Since they have the licensing already, making him playable via DLC will only take the effort of a regular character.
And, of that, I'm more than certain that Ubisoft will help in the development of Rayman to ensure that he is both finished quickly and authentically.

Besides, some amiibos have colored support structures, like Link, so I don't think having a guy with no limbs be a problem for his amiibo figurine.

There is something that I realized over the weekend, and I know most of you already know this, but 2015 would be the 20th Anniversary of the first Rayman game, and with Ubisoft having their latest Rayman game finished, I'm certain they might wanna try to find something to promote Rayman, so what better (and more cost-effective) way of doing so than his involvement in Super Smash Bros. as a playable?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Indeed, Rayman turns 20 on the first of September next year, so I would rather hope that Ubisoft does something.

Though I wouldn't really count on Ubisoft itself, rather Ancel's team. It's almost a certainty that he'll celebrate his creation's anniversary in a big way (hopefully with an official announcement of the next game being in the works). I never thought about it having any sort of impact on Rayman ending up in Smash, since he isn't even a Nintendo character (and actual Nintendo characters have had their anniversaries completely ignored, like Metroid). I do think that Rayman being DLC in Smash on his 20th would be the most amazing thing ever, though. More than ever, we just need to let them know that we want him to be playable.

D

Deleted member

Indeed, Rayman turns 20 on the first of September next year, so I would rather hope that Ubisoft does something.

Though I wouldn't really count on Ubisoft itself, rather Ancel's team. It's almost a certainty that he'll celebrate his creation's anniversary in a big way (hopefully with an official announcement of the next game being in the works). I never thought about it having any sort of impact on Rayman ending up in Smash, since he isn't even a Nintendo character (and actual Nintendo characters have had their anniversaries completely ignored, like Metroid). I do think that Rayman being DLC in Smash on his 20th would be the most amazing thing ever, though. More than ever, we just need to let them know that we want him to be playable.
That is true. I mean, Metroid did have its 25th anniversary, and nothing was done for it.

But, I am expecting that Ancel's team would want to do something for them, and unless they started work on a new game or a complete anthology of some sorts, this might be the path of least resistance to celebrate his debut in the video game world. They were most likely the group responsible for making Rayman's trophy in Smash, so I'm all but certain they would like to volunteer to develop him, work out his moveset, and explain his mechanics.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
They apparently actually made a somewhat working model of a 3D Rayman game as a demo, but never did anything with it.

Ancel himself also expressed that he still wants to make a big 3D Rayman (open world) adventure with a story again.

He was probably the one that headed getting Rayman in Smash in the first place, since he's also stated that he wants him in.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I heard about that, apparently they canned it after the low sales of Legends (which was entirely their fault).
No it wasn't, that's all on Nintendo. Nintendo was terrible at advertising the Wii U until, well, Mario Kart 8. After seeing how terribly Zombie U did, Ubisoft was forced to multiplatform Legends in order to make a profit off of it, delaying the game, confusing fans, creating controversy and anger, etc. Ubisoft really didn't have a choice in the matter (Although it was incredibly stupid that they delayed the Wii U version because of this, but I heard that had something to do with Microsoft)

And thankfully Legends picked up in sales, and is actually selling pretty well today, so maybe they'll revisit the project.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
No it wasn't, that's all on Nintendo. Nintendo was terrible at advertising the Wii U until, well, Mario Kart 8. After seeing how terribly Zombie U did, Ubisoft was forced to multiplatform Legends in order to make a profit off of it, delaying the game, confusing fans, creating controversy and anger, etc. Ubisoft really didn't have a choice in the matter (Although it was incredibly stupid that they delayed the Wii U version because of this, but I heard that had something to do with Microsoft)

And thankfully Legends picked up in sales, and is actually selling pretty well today, so maybe they'll revisit the project.
I honestly completely forgot about the delay being Microsoft's fault.
Still, they chose a pretty terrible release date, the same month as GTA5. I guess it was just a series of unfortunate events. Regardless, I hope the series will continue to live on. I really want a new 3D Rayman.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I heard about that, apparently they canned it after the low sales of Legends (which was entirely their fault).

Guess no one knows that the Wii U version is the best selling version of Legends.....

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I've been trying to wrap my head around the Rayman situation and here's what I've come up with.
Ubisoft has said plenty of times that they're idly waiting for Smash to pick up Wii U sales. Why would they not want their quirky mascot in the biggest mascot fighter of the year?
Perhaps it was Nintendo who refused Rayman? Probably some bitter feelings from all the delays and what not. It's pretty stupid of Nintendo to decline Third party support that they desperately need, though bad decisions isn't exactly new for Nintendo honestly... And all it does is give Ubisoft the last laugh if Nintendo is bitterly refusing their help.
So what is it?
From what I've seen, there seems to be a disconnect between Ancel (and the Rayman development team) and Ubisoft. As I recall, they had no idea that Legends was no longer exclusive until the day it was publically announced.
What if it's Ancel pushing to have Rayman in Smash but Ubisoft is refusing, for some unknown reason? I mean, they went as far as to make a Rayman model for Smash themselves. I dunno.... What do you guys think?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I've been trying to wrap my head around the Rayman situation and here's what I've come up with.
Ubisoft has said plenty of times that they're idly waiting for Smash to pick up Wii U sales. Why would they not want their quirky mascot in the biggest mascot fighter of the year?
Perhaps it was Nintendo who refused Rayman? Probably some bitter feelings from all the delays and what not. It's pretty stupid of Nintendo to decline Third party support that they desperately need, though bad decisions isn't exactly new for Nintendo honestly... And all it does is give Ubisoft the last laugh if Nintendo is bitterly refusing their help.
So what is it?
From what I've seen, there seems to be a disconnect between Ancel (and the Rayman development team) and Ubisoft. As I recall, they had no idea that Legends was no longer exclusive until the day it was publically announced.
What if it's Ancel pushing to have Rayman in Smash but Ubisoft is refusing, for some unknown reason? I mean, they went as far as to make a Rayman model for Smash themselves. I dunno.... What do you guys think?
No, I honestly think that smash was already too far into development when Ubisoft approached Nintendo to include him, after all the roster was finalized in 2012. So in other words, Ubisoft probably pulled a Kojima during Melee's development.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm pretty sure that Ancel himself has actually made it quite clear that he's not terribly fond of Ubisoft anymore. I recall even seeing an image of him and the Rayman team holding a picture of an angry Rayman with text that read something to the effect of calling Ubisoft out on delaying Legends. He's even begun working outside of Ubisoft on other projects, I believe.

This is part of the reason I get pretty bothered when people don't want Rayman in Smash solely because he's a Ubisoft character, even his creator doesn't like Ubisoft. Sure, he's the mascot (though Ubi seems to have forgotten that, even) but Rayman getting in Smash wouldn't magically shove any more of Ubisoft's crap in the game. Sonic is in the game, no mentions of any other Sega series. Mega Man is in, nothing else from Capcom in sight. Snake came without anything else from Konami. Really, Pac-Man is the only one that brought anything, but that's justified by the game being made by bloody Namco in the first place, plus Pac-Man himself being a blatant throwback to old arcade games in general (he didn't bring in any modern Namco, in fact).

I don't care about any of Ubisoft's franchises other than what Ancel churns out. I want Rayman because (with Banjo dead and buried) he's my favorite character from my favorite franchise, which contains my second favorite game of all time.

Ubisoft probably pulled a Kojima during Melee's development.
This is also what I've been saying since the day we saw the Rayman trophy.

In fact, Ancel and Miyamoto have actually met before. Miyamoto also happened to ask for Pac-Man in Brawl...

It may not even be Ubisoft, Ancel has previously stated that he personally wanted Rayman in Smash.
I'd go as far to say that Ancel himself pulled a literal Kojima, except he went to Miyamoto who in turn went to Sakurai.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd argue it was both Ubisoft and Nintendo's faults. Nintendo did a poor job hyping up the Wii U, while at the same time, Ubisoft had lofty expectations for ZombiU and completely overestimated the sales for that game, which resulted in both getting burned, and both getting hurt feelings towards each other.

And Ancel's group was not thrilled about Legends becoming multi-platform, but at the very least, the parent company had the benefit of letting things breathe and allowing people to have more time to buy the game.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'd argue it was both Ubisoft and Nintendo's faults. Nintendo did a poor job hyping up the Wii U, while at the same time, Ubisoft had lofty expectations for ZombiU and completely overestimated the sales for that game, which resulted in both getting burned, and both getting hurt feelings towards each other.

And Ancel's group was not thrilled about Legends becoming multi-platform, but at the very least, the parent company had the benefit of letting things breathe and allowing people to have more time to buy the game.
ZombiU was a very low-budget game it was the lowest budget one for Ubisoft in 3 years, they just expected it to sell because it was a launch title, you never assume a game will sell at launch.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I found out a cool thing
Now I'm dying to know what other third party trophies are in the game, this could be huge for Rayman's chances.

Also, somebody who has the game find Rayman's trophy and tell me what his description says!

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
I found out a cool thing
A Globox trophy?! Wow! So there's more Ubisoft trophies. Or is this a fake?
Either way, I still want to know what the Rayman trophy says. If this is real, however, all that's left is a Teensies trophy.

I really wish my Wii U didn't stop working. Now I have to wait potentially 3 more weeks before playing this game.

D

Deleted member

I found out a cool thing
This is a HUGE surprise. Heck, Ancel's team really wanted Rayman in Smash. There might be a Grand Minimus or Dark Teensie trophy in here somewhere, but maybe they stuck with the core duo.

It'd be funny if these were the only two non-playable third-party characters in this game (besides the BIT.TRIP thingy).

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yep. I picked up Globox as my first shop trophy. I had a heart attack when i saw him.

Now it's time to search for other Ubisoft/misc. third party trophies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom