• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Rei-00: 31%
I can't form coherent thoughts, so I'll just say it could happen.

Want: 65%
It is a heavily armed scale model of a robot. I've been watching Gundam Build Fighters, so the concept has become much more exciting to me.

Homestar prediction: 1.79%

Nominate:
Quote x5

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Ray
Chance: 2%

Want: 1%

Prediction for Imastar?: .55%

Nominations
Paper Mario x5

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Ray - 25%
Ray actually got a decent chance, though his biggest problem is that he might not be considered, but he got the fan demand (though it might be a little, its noticeable) moveset potential, and a relatively good design,
want - 60%
I don't support or want, but he'll surly be welcomed
Omastar - 0.09%
we are rating omastar now?
. . .
. . .

I thought we had more time.
where's the ocarina of time when you need it.
Nominations:
RoyX4
Dark pitX1

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Ray - 17.25%

predict Omastar gets a 0.09% There are 100 Pokemon that are more likely than Omastar, let alone characters in general. If Omastar comes any more than ranked bottom, I officially quit and no longer respect you guys' opinions. :p #mild overreactions ftw!

Travis Touchdown x5

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Ray

Chance - 0%
too obscure i think. Looked up the sales of his series... pretty horrendous :ohwell:

Want - 0%
Not a fan of gundam looking characters/robots.

Omastar - 1%

x5 Rosalina <3

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Character
Ray:
Chance: 20% this little robot could give us a surprise.
Want: 60% love the game and has a high potential moveset that could bring something new to Smash.

Prediction
Omastar: 101% he is the best contender even above Little Mac :troll:.

Nomination
Travis Touchdown x 5

.n_n.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Whoa missed a lot of days

Ray
Chance - 4%
For a long time he seemed to me as one of those potential future additions (in the days of Melee) but then a Custom Robo was released on the Gamecube and it fell rather flat. Certainly didn't earn any significant number of followers, and since then it feels like the series has been kept under the rug aside from the assist trophy in Brawl.
Even then I'd give the idea some merit, but with soo much competition for a few spots, I just don't see how Ray deserves it, nor do I understand the near 20% ratings he's getting.

Want - 0%
Like I said above, his presence would only make me wonder how he deserves the spot over any other character from a host of unrepresented Nintendo franchises (Console Wars series, Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Last Story, Sin & Punishment, Chibi Robo, etc.) So no, I don't want him, and I really feel that compared to R.O.B. and Megaman, the whole robot schtick Ray would bring is really not that interesting for a character.

Predictions
Omastar - 0.054%
Can't believe this day finally arrived.

Nominations
x5 Sh-- Nah, screw it. The three ladies right after Omastar are just not that interesting. So I'll go ahead and help the cause, even if I don't have strong belief for the character.

x5 Dr. Kawashima

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Gives Ray a zero percent. Nominates Rosalina. :facepalm:

how immature.

I nominated her. Big whoop. Its not like you know what i'm going to rate her :rolleyes:

i didn't act like a baby when people gave Duck Hunt Dog zeros (and in my head, i agreed he deserved them) and call out their nominations as well. People have their own opinions. Its just a freaking "rate a character" thread. Build a bridge and get over it.

D

Deleted member

People have their own opinions. Its just a freaking "rate a character" thread.
It's not like these ratings dictate if a character gets in or not. We could have Little Mac not be playable despite his high ratings and have Tharja be playable despite her low ratings. It's just really a game for fun. (in my opinion)

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
how immature.

I nominated her. Big whoop. Its not like you know what i'm going to rate her :rolleyes:

i didn't act like a baby when people gave Duck Hunt Dog zeros (and in my head, i agreed he deserved them) and call out their nominations as well. People have their own opinions. Its just a freaking "rate a character" thread. Build a bridge and get over it.
Alright chill, it was just a joke. I'm not trying to dictate the way yo rate characters. I just found it ironic that you would give someone like Ray a zero percent, and then nominate someone who has practically no chance of getting in.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
It's not like these ratings dictate if a character gets in or not. We could have Little Mac not be playable despite his high ratings and have Tharja be playable despite her low ratings. It's just really a game for fun. (in my opinion)

agreed. its not really serious for me at all. i just like giving my opinion (whether it be popular or unpopular).

People who complain about a rating, take this game too seriously and need to grow up.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Ray: 10%
Want: 50%
BASED OMASTAR: 100 0.12%
Nominate:
Pauline x 5
(Sorry BluePikmin :troll:)

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Alright chill, it was just a joke. I'm not trying to dictate the way yo rate characters. I just found it ironic that you would give someone like Ray a zero percent, and then nominate someone who has practically no chance of getting in.
i don't take condescension. joke form or not.

and if i want to give someone a zero and nominate Smoochum from pokemon. i can.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Ray

Popularity: Well, he obviously has his fans. How many of them have actually played his games, though? The sales figures say not that many. Sure, he has around 1.2 million in sales, but probably a fair number are repeat buyers. Anyway, his sales are among the lowest of the non-retro series. Custom Robo has lower sales than any represented series, and is low even among unrepresented series. Punch-Out, Wave Race/1080, Golden Sun, Pilotwings, Starfy and (Advance) Wars all have more sales. Some others, like Xenoblade don't have as many sales, but no Custom Robo game has sales as high as Xenoblade either.

Relevancy: Speaking of which, Custom Robo hasn't had an entry in about 7 years. Meanwhile, some others like Xenoblade are getting high-profile sequels.

He was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, which helps somewhat though. I don't think it helps as much as people think though. Someone could be an AT because Sakurai thought he couldn't fit them in but they're cool and should be in the game. Or a character could be an AT because they're cool enough that they should get a more prominent role but not worthy of or suitable for a playable slot. Nintendogs and Mr. Resetti would be examples of not suitable for a playable slot. Characters like Ray and Saki might be in the not worthy category. We don't know.

Design: Well, here he's fine. As a relatively generic fighting robot, he's not the most original character but he definitely has potential for a unique moveset.

Ray chances: 4%
He could be in the game, but the series is on hiatus, and never was that popular. And Mega Man is a way cooler fighting robot (IMO).

Ray want: 45%
Meh.

Omastar prediction: 0.5%
Gotta balance the troll votes against the real votes. Then again, Sandbag did end up pretty low...

Nominations:
Dr Mario x5

Groose

Smash Champion
EDIT: Changing my nominations if that's ok. Since she's only five nominations away from a re-vote:

Palutena x5
Sure. I don't add up nominations until right before I update the day; feel free to change them. Good idea getting Palutena up there; I've been planning things out and hoped to get her to the top the same day we rate Omastar so we actually don't have a wasted day.

Why did you not remove him from the nominations list, Groose?
Because it's our duty to rate every character that we can. I banned nominations on him for well over a month and I didn't lift them until we finished rating the good characters and started rating the likes of Primid. At that point... well, a comedic day with double zeroes is better than a serious day with double zeroes, you know?

And I've been monitoring the situation. I've been checking the noms everyday to make sure we'd have an interesting rerate or a concept on the same day. That way, it won't be terribly wasted.

Is it possible that we can rate Dr. Mario and Dr. Kawashima tomorrow, that would be an awesome day for the doctors. :shades:
Unfortunately, no. Everyday we rate one Newcomer/Veteran with a possibility of a Rerate/Concept. We don't rate Newcomers AND Veterans, for fear that it would take away from one of them. Still, we can have them back-to-back, and I'd be sure to crack some terrible jokes about the situation.

and if i want to give someone a zero and nominate Smoochum from pokemon. i can.
PLEASE DON'T! PLEASE! Palutena and Rosalina are okay, but please don't go for Smoochum.

Gives Ray a zero percent. Nominates Rosalina. :facepalm:
Now, now, now, play nice. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. DarkKry never follows the mob mentality and I greatly respect that of him/her. I respect you, too, and do agree with the statement that Ray should not have a zero.

Remember...

It's just really a game for fun. (in my opinion)
Well, it's not entirely for fun, but that's the main thing of it. It's also to see how miserably wrong we were come launch... and a way to help us reflect upon Smash 4 Speculation when we're all talking about Smash 5. This game is a historical sample, I'd even say. That's why I'm so honored to help run it.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Ray chance=5%

Ray want=15% I want him to replace R.O.B., because he at least looks cool and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Also, he has legs.

Nomination=5xSpear User

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Ray
Likelihood: 15%
the assist trophy is mainly what's going for him, He does seem like he is smash worthy. If he got in I can see the Custom Robo series becoming more popular.

Want: 65%
never played his games but, I like the design

Omastar
Predictions: 0.05%

Nominations:
Krystal x5

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
Ray (Custom Robo)

Chance: 20% - Sure an assist trophy doesn't mean much on its own but the customization aspect of Custom Robo could lend Sakurai some ideas.

Want: 80% - Ever since I played Custom Robo back in '07 I thought that the idea of having him playable would be interesting. In those days, while not as high as the likes of Megaman and Isaac, he was on the upper end of my list of hopefuls. I've got my main bot Megaman/Rockman now, but I wouldn't mind if Ray slipped into the roster. And having three Robots wouldn't be a bad thing if Sakurai wanted Ray enough. Ray, Rob, and Rock...sounds interesting to me.

Omastar Prediction: 1.3% - Margnetman got his Omastar invasion, but will backfire into a barrage of Zeros? Stay tuned for episode 97 of Rate Their Chances, "OH MAH STARS!! INVASION!!"

Nominations:
Dr. Kawashima x5

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Ray: 10% While he's definitely know by smashers, he's really obscure. I don't know if I've ever even seen his game much less seen anybody ever mention it.
Want: 60% Honestly know next to nothing about him but he has a cool design...

Omastar: 0.1%

5x Dark Samus

Alban712

Smash Apprentice
Ray:
Chances: 10% There are much deserving unrepresented series out there
Want: 30 % He has a cool design but I would be mad if he got in before a Golden Sun, Nintendo Wars, Xenoblade or Punch-out rep

Omastar: 1.74%

Rosalina x 5

Forde

Smash Cadet
Ray:
Chances 15%
Decently known series, but hasn't been relevant for a good few years

Want: 75%
I would love to see any of the Ray variants make it into SSB. Would be a great new character to play as.

Omastar: 2%

Blaziken x5

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Ray:

I've not played a Custom Robo game and do not have enough researched knowledge to make a valid chance score, so let's skip straight to want.

Want: 40%
A little higher than I normally give, but his AT was kinda cool, and Smash does have a toy box idea going on for it (end of SSB1, trophies in SSE) and from my understanding Ray is a toy, so he'd fit perfectly. Plus, we only have 2 robots in smash (R.O.B and Megaman) and they're a very prevelant part of video gaming so we could always do with more. Ultimately I think he'd be a cool character.. but I have no real connection to him I'm afraid.

Omagod How Did He Get To The Top Of The Nominationstar?: 2.4%
The joke has taken hold, and people will vote him higher than he should be.

Tails*5
(I gotta recieve! I gotta believe! .... Wait, no, knuckles is the one with the rap, tails is just about believing, I'm getting confused)

Ephecus

Smash Apprentice
Ray

Chance: 5 %
A otherwise not represented series could do with a roster spot, though I fear he will end up as AT again anyway.

Want: 65 %
The Custom Robo-series hits a sweet spot of mine. Maybe because it was the first game I got for my DS back then.

Prediction Omastar:
0.2 %

Nomination: C.Syrup x 5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
RAY The flying Squirrel The Ghostbuster The Custom Robo Protagonist

Chance: 15%
Unrepresented IP that has had some content in Smash Bros. Ray's chances are only mainly hindered by his series being fairly obscure in comparison to others, even other series yet to have a single playable character(Such as Golden Sun, Advance Wars or Starfy). He has a lot of potential however, and depending on the amount of newcomers we do end up getting his chances may skyrocket(hoho) nearer the launch.

Want: 20%
Ray seems cool, don't get me wrong, but there are other characters I personally want first. Come SSB5(should we get one) I'll be more supportive of him for sure should he fail to get into this one.

Omastar: 19%
Predicting heavy skewing from the Oma-All-Stars.

Nominations:
5 X Substantial Yoshi Changes (Yarn, Baby, etc.)

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
ray:
chances: 10%
Want: 70%
Omastar: 0.3

Nominations:
Matthew x 5

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Ray
Chances: 5% The last custom robo game came out in 2007 on DS, since then there has been little in the ways of the series seeing any sort of new installment despite it being really fun (try picking up the DS game if you get the chance, it's a blast) I think its too low on the radar
Want: 90% I love the series and I feel like any series of Ray would fit perfectly into Smash Bros. Just the way custom robo works would transfer over well to smash.
Omastar: 0.0001% Come on

Nominations:
Matthew 5x

Groose

Smash Champion
Ray's Chance: 25%
He was an Assist Trophy. That doesn't mean he was considered for playable status, but it does mean that the developers know about him and his series---as they should, because the games have decent popularity and sales over in the East. With the exception of the Gamecube title, however, they haven't done much in the West.

Every point in Ray's favor has a counterpoint and obscure. Ray is obscure, but his design would make him a hit among the kiddies. His moveset is relatively obvious, but his complicated design would be pretty difficult to program. There are other "New Franchise" series out there, but few of them are as established as Custom Robo. Ray is unique, but so are many of his competitors.

All in all, 25% is lower than what I'd give Saki or Isaac... but a bit higher than what I'd give Goroh and a few other of the assist trophies.

Ray's Want: 100%
The first console I ever owned was Gamecube (I did play a lot of N64 before that, but I never owned one). I used to play every game I could get my paws on. I'd go to the local Blockbuster (remember those stores?) and rent some used games for a week or so. That's how I got into the likes of Zelda... but I also played many a terrible rental.

One time I picked up a game called Custom Robo. It seemed pretty cool, y'know? Customize and battle with robots? AWESOME! So when I got home, I popped it in... and my mind was blown. I loved that game. I almost beat that game on a single rental. And then... I never played it again.

I always planned on purchasing Arena for the DS... but I didn't. I don't know why I waited. Now I can't find them. It's been nearly a decade since I've got my Custom Robo fix, now. But that's about to end.

At the end of the summer, a buddy and I were at a used game store. We were browsing the Gamecube stuff... and there was Custom Robo. I told my friend about my experience with it, and he bought it. He played it for just a little bit, told me what a bad game it was, and I haven't heard anymore on the matter.

I've convinced him to loan me the game to play... when I get time to play it, that is. I have little time, Pokemon, and Dual Destinies on my plate. Then... maybe during Winter Break... it's Custom Robo time. Is it as good as I remember? I'll find out soon.

As for Ray in Smash.... why not? Awesome design that's unlike anything the cast has seen so far; a lightweight projectile spammer (a unique niche), and possibly some room for customization? Count me IN!

Omastar Prediction: .11%
He CAN'T beat Chancellor Cole. Can he?

Groose x5
DAY OVER
IT'S GROOSETIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom