• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Paper Mario:
Chances: 100%. Rosalina got her own stage. Little Mac has his own stage. Greninja, Pac-Man, Miis, Robin, and Lucina all have their own stages. So why give another stage when Mario already has like 3 stages exclusive to him?

Want: 75%. As far as Mario RPG reps go, I would rather have Geno or Fawful, but Paper Mario is no doubt iconic. And hey, gotta keep your secret characters.
Birdo: abstain.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Paper Mario and Birdo have been added to the Directory.
If you have rated Paper Mario, check to see what you've said on his day!

Paper Mario
Chance:
5%

Look, it's cool that Paper Mario got a stage and all, but I doubt this means that Paper Mario is going to be playable. Does it help? Yes, but I don't consider this to be incredibly helpful towards his chances. That 6th spot will most likely belong to Bowser Jr. or Toad, but such a thing is not guaranteed.
Still, his design makes him easily cloneable and would take no time at all.
Want: 0%
Look, I love The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario, but I don't want Paper Mario in Smash. This is what I like to call a "Lucina Situation" for me; like Lucina, Paper Mario is a character that I enjoy, but I rather not see in Smash because he would be a clone. I am not a fan of clone characters nor two of the same character on the roster.
Also, I much rather have Bowser Jr. and Captain Toad instead of Paper Mario.

Birdo
Chance and Want:
Double Zeroes

Birdo isn't popular enough to get a spot on the roster and she faces immense competition from the Mario franchise. She is not going to get in as a Yoshi rep since she is (to my knowledge) not in any of the Yoshi games.
As for want... just NO.

Lucas Prediction: 0%
This day for him will be so bad, like the Power Glove.
Masked Dedede Final Smash Prediction: 46.83%
Seeing as how Luigi has his Poltergust, having King Dedede be MIA in the demo, and Masked Dedede have that Final Smash vibe for him, I can see this get decent ratings.

Nominations: HEROPON VERY COOL! (Riki 5x)

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
paper mario
chances 85% we have six pokemon reps why not 6 mario (really its 9 right now but whatever) and his new stage helps out
want 100% if we can have three links in the smash series we should have 3 marios
birdo
chances.001 costume for yoshi but thats it
want 0 it sounds boring we need better characters than it

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Paper Mario and Birdo have been added to the Directory.
If you have rated Paper Mario, check to see what you've said on his day!

Paper Mario
Chance:
5%

Look, it's cool that Paper Mario got a stage and all, but I doubt this means that Paper Mario is going to be playable. Does it help? Yes, but I don't consider this to be incredibly helpful towards his chances. That 6th spot will most likely belong to Bowser Jr. or Toad, but such a thing is not guaranteed.
Still, his design makes him easily cloneable and would take no time at all.
Look, I love The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario, but I don't want Paper Mario in Smash. This is what I like to call a "Lucina Situation" for me; like Lucina, Paper Mario is a character that I enjoy, but I rather not see in Smash because he would be a clone. I am not a fan of clone characters nor two of the same character on the roster.
Also, I much rather have Bowser Jr. and Captain Toad instead of Paper Mario.
He's not a clone, though. Paper Mario would play very differently from Mario. He has a hammer, not a cape. Hammer and jumping are his primary attack methods, he uses completely different specials. He has a huge focus on team attacks and partners. I still don't think he has a chance of getting in, but he wouldn't be a clone.

Just like Toon Link shouldn't be a clone anymore.

Birdo
Chance and Want:
Double Zeroes
Birdo isn't popular enough to get a spot on the roster and she faces immense competition from the Mario franchise. She is not going to get in as a Yoshi rep since she is (to my knowledge) not in any of the Yoshi games.
As for want... just NO.
Exactly this.

Lucas Prediction:
This day for him will be so bad, like the Power Glove.
Masked Dedede Final Smash Prediction: 46.83%
Seeing as how Luigi has his Poltergust, having King Dedede be MIA in the demo, and Masked Dedede have that Final Smash vibe for him, I can see this get decent ratings.

Nominations: HEROPON VERY COOL! (Riki 5x)
Let's not forget that King Dedede also got rid of his "throw Waddle Dee" special, which means his "summon army of Waddle Dees" Final Smash has higher potential to be changed. I think the chance is above 50% for that one.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey look, new shiny charts!

Top 10 of Want

Top 10 of Chance

With the slew of recent confirmations and disconfirmations, the charts are taking on more and more bizarre looks. :laugh:
Holy crap, I just realized... The top 3 of both are the exact same three characters. Ridley holds the same spot on both, but K. Rool is more wanted and Shulk more likely. :p

As for Paper Mario being playable because of the stage? Sorry, I think the stage actually disconfirms him. If the stage was JUST Sticker Star, sure, but it transforms into a stage from Thousand Year Door as well, and who knows what others. If Paper Mario was playable, he'd probably have a stage on both versions.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Paper Mario:

Chance: 55%
Wow, this is the absolute WORST day to rate Paper Mario. We'll get so many overrates that Paper Mario will end up near the top of the chance ratings. That being said, this stage helps him out quite a bit. We've gotten home stages for characters prior to their reveal; and I feel like the same is happening with ol' Papes.

Want: 100%
And I couldn't be happier! Paper Mario is one of my all time favorite newcomer ideas, and him being in the game would complete the roster for me. I lost a lot of faith, and gaining it back is truly a blessing.

Double zeroes on Birdo. I'm not even going to bother.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Paper Mario
Chance: 15%
Want:2%
In my opinion there's more unique characters to represent the Mario franchise and even the Mario RPGs. Paper Mario would best serve as an alt costume in my opinion.

Birdo:
Double zeros.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
We really have the most incredible ability to rate things just as important information about them comes up.

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario
Chance: 35%
At first, I wouldn't have even considered Paper Mario for any smash. Ever. But the fact that we have two versions of the same character for multiple characters improves his chances (Link/Toon Link, Samus/Zero Suit). He would definitely have a different moveset with his hammer, jumps, spin dash, paper abilities, items, and perhaps even the inclusion of his partner system. The more and more I think about it, the higher his chances seem to be.
Want: 20%
Although he is the most dynamic of all the Paper Mario representatives, I think another one could be substituted to branch away from the multiple versions of the same character approach.

Birdo
Chance: 10%
I feel a very slim chance for Birdo to enter the fray. The need for more female champs and possible the addition of another Mario representative (to match the amount of Pokemon reps, as they have matched in every past game) works in her favor. She could bring an interesting moveset but her exclusion from even the last Mario Kart game hurts the possibility of her joining.
Want: 70%
I'm in the minority here but I'd love to play as Birdo. But I think I'm alone on this one.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Birdo: 0.01%
I guess it's technically possible for her to get in, but unlikely... I am really surprised he isn't an Assist Trophy though, not that I think it's likely now with her missing it in Brawl, just weird he didn't make it in Brawl.

Want: 10%
She would be such a waste, but I guess he could be a semi-clone which wouldn't take too much time... I do hope to see her as an assist trophy, though, I think it'd be cool to see him appear in the battle for a bit.

Paper Mario: 1.5%
It's too late now to reveal the stage in preparations for a reveal, the stage and character should rally be revealed together at this point, and they haven't been. I think the fact we got this stage nearest damnit destroys his chances... but he is quite probably second in the Mario race (after Jr).

Want: 25%
Meh, he's paper and that's cool, you could do a lot with that... but it's still another Mario

Movie Character: 0.1%
Ineligable

Masked Dedede FS: 22.4%
Waddle Deee Army was kinda terrible, and is likely unusable on 3DS, but who knows?

Wii Fit Meter*5

D

Deleted member

He's not a clone, though. Paper Mario would play very differently from Mario. He has a hammer, not a cape. Hammer and jumping are his primary attack methods, he uses completely different specials. He has a huge focus on team attacks and partners. I still don't think he has a chance of getting in, but he wouldn't be a clone.

Just like Toon Link shouldn't be a clone anymore.
This quote by Sakurai about Toon Link makes me heavily pessimistic that he would make Paper Mario unique:
http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/hidden11.html
"Those who have played Link should enjoy playing Toon Link, too. As a rule, the special moves are the same."
If anything, they could make 50 Paper Marios...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Paper Mario
Chance: 35%
At first, I wouldn't have even considered Paper Mario for any smash. Ever. But the fact that we have two versions of the same character for multiple characters improves his chances (Link/Toon Link, Samus/Zero Suit). He would definitely have a different moveset with his hammer, jumps, spin dash, paper abilities, items, and perhaps even the inclusion of his partner system. The more and more I think about it, the higher his chances seem to be.
It takes more than a unique move set to get in. Otherwise we'd already have most of the most wanted list already.

Want: 20%
Although he is the most dynamic of all the Paper Mario representatives, I think another one could be substituted to branch away from the multiple versions of the same character approach.
I can't really see another rep making it in. Who would it be?

Birdo
I feel a very slim chance for Birdo to enter the fray. The need for more female champs and possible the addition of another Mario representative (to match the amount of Pokemon reps, as they have matched in every past game) works in her favor. She could bring an interesting moveset but her exclusion from even the last Mario Kart game hurts the possibility of her joining.
Want: 70%
I'm in the minority here but I'd love to play as Birdo. But I think I'm alone on this one.
Yep, you're alone.

Also, 10% is not really that low of a chance, all things considered.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Paper Mario:
Chance: 5% - Despite this sh*tty stage, there is no link between the evidence of a Paper Mario rep and this stage; and here's why. Paper Mario stage takes inspiration from both the console title TTYD and the Handheld SS. As such, I believ this to be a 3DS-EXCLUSIVE STAGE. We've seen plenty of Mario stages on both versions; as such I believe we will see NO MORE MARIO STAGES UP UNTIL RELEASE. It does help him a TINY bit, but not enough, plus there's always Jr., Daisy, Captain Toad, and a plethora of others standing in his way.
Want: 0% Ewww no

Birdo:
Chance: 0% - Need I even say why?
Want: 0% - Please, for GOD SAKE no.

Predictions:
Lucas (The Wizard): 2.10% who the hell is this?
Masked Dedede FInal Smash: 56.87% - Triple Deluxe helps this a lot.

Noms: Warrior of Light x5

Last edited:

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
This feels like another Sceptile day.

Paper Mario:
Chance: 15% I think he has the best chance of Mario newcomers right now. That's not saying much though.
Want: 50% I'm completely indifferent. I always played Mario And Luigi instead...

Birdo:
Chance: 1% S/He does not have a chance.
Want: 0% I don't want it either.

Predictions:
Some Movie Guy: 0.2%
Masked Dedede Final Smash: 26.34%

Hannebow x5

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
This quote by Sakurai about Toon Link makes me heavily pessimistic that he would make Paper Mario unique:
"Those who have played Link should enjoy playing Toon Link, too. As a rule, the special moves are the same."
That doesn't mean much. One duplicate/clone character doesn't mean they'll all be clones.

At the time Toon Link was developed, there was no reason for him to not be a clone. He only developed into his own character recently. Paper Mario has been different for a long time.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, about today's topic...

Paper Mario Chance: 10%

I wouldn't say he's likely, by any means, but I suppose it's possible that we'll see him. The new stage could mean something, but at the same time, it may just be nothing..

Paper Mario Want: 80%

I like the Paper Mario series and I like the idea of a playable Paper Mario, so I'd be pleased with his inclusion.

Birdo Chance: 0.01%

Let's be honest. This isn't happening.

Birdo Want: 10%

I guess I'd enjoy having him in just because of how weird he is, but that's not enough to make me think it's worth including him.

Predictions:

Lucas (Wizard): 1% Chance

Masked Dedede Final Smash: Irrelevant because he'll be confirmed (or disconfirmed) tomorrow.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I need to keep today rather short.

Paper Mario:
Want: 75%

Birdo:
Chance: 0%
Want: 2%

Lucas: 0%
Masked DDD: 26%

Nominating Frederick AT x5

ChazzzyF

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario:

Chance: 20%

This was also my score for Bowser Jr., who in terms of characters from the Mario series was more likely as a 6th rep at the time. The new stage helps Paper Mario, but as we're probably not getting a 6th Mario rep, I won't advance it higher than that.

Bowser Jr is my most wanted newcomer (I have more sensible picks for second and third). If two Mario newcomers are in Smash Bros, and neither are Bowser Jr, I'll be just a little salty about it.

Birdo:

Chance: 0%

It's already unlikely we'll see a 6th Mario Rep, but there is no way it'll be Birdo. She's arguably less important to the series than Waluigi is, and comparing the amount of people who want Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, some iteration of Toad and even Waluigi, her fanbase is pretty small.

Want: 0% (Unless negative want is a thing, in which case, -50%)

Like I said earlier, if we get two Mario newcomers and neither is Bowser Jr, I'd be a little mad. But at least Paper Mario could be a fun and interesting character that I would grow to like over time, as I have with Rosalina. If it's Birdo though, I'd be pretty displeased all the way around.

Edit: Whoops. Forgot my nomination.
Put my 5 on whatever phrasing I originally used for a 3DS Sonic stage other than Green Hill Zone. Sorry guys, I'll look it up when I finally get home from vacation and get to stop making mobile posts.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Paper Mario - 35%

Paper Mario now has a stage, upping his chances of getting in by a lot. My only problem with this is the fact that, as others have stated, the stage uses TTYD in it, meaning it is representing both handheld and console. This may mean it is a 3DS exclusive stage, kicking the Wii U out of question, meaning that Paper Mario would be de-confirmed. I'm also not sure if we really need another Mario rep, as we have quite a lot right now. Paper Mario would be cool, though!

Birdo - 0%

I don't think Birdo should be in because she's Birdo.

Masked Dedede (Final Smash) - 100%

There's no reason to keep the Waddle Dee Army as his Final Smash, when Masked Dedede is a much more reasonable choice. Masked Dedede has appeared in Triple Deluxe, meaning he has a lot bigger chance than before. I doubt he'd get his Triple Deluxe axe and would much go for his buffed up Dedede Hammer, and most likely have a few moves changed to closer represent Masked Dedede. I'm also hopeful that a new version or his Triple Deluxe theme will be played when you turn into Masked Dedede, that'd be pretty cool. It would also be easier for the 3DS to handle than a bunch of enemies spawning in at once, so that's good.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Zero Suit Samus has a different moveset. Sheik has a different moveset. Both of these characters are alternate forms of existing ones. While it's possible for him to be one, saying that he WILL be a clone is ludicrous. Sakurai has contradicted himself many times. Remember this?

'Why did you go for the villager and the Wii Fit trainer?', Neither of them are fighting characters, certainly. In fact, we had previously removed the villager from Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the planning stages because he wasn't suited for battle."

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
If this becomes a problem we can always just remove the fighters' feet. :)
No. Robin and Lucina deserve to finally have feet. They've been feetless for their entire life, and when the heavens took them up to fight, they ripped off the feet of some random people and stapled them onto their little stubs for legs.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
The Extra Nominations post has been updated.

Paper Mario's chances: 16% - This was going to be 6% but today's stage reveal helps him. Still, I don't expect either a new Mario character or another Mario spin-off character.
Want: 0% - The Thousand Year Door is my favorite Mario game of all time, with the original not that far behind. Today's stage reveal is probably my favorite for the 3DS so far. All that being said, I never really liked the idea of a playable Paper Mario.

Birdo: Double Zeroes - Chance is obvious, I personally like Birdo but there's not much reason for her to be in.

Lucas prediction: 0.05%
Masked Dedede prediction: 46.28%

Brain Age Stage x10 (I think I forgot to use my extra nominations yesterday)

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Updated again!!

That Sceptile score is outdated, I remember him getting somewhere around a 16% chance in his more recent rating when I made a chance list.
Hey look, new shiny charts!

Top 10 of Want

Top 10 of Chance

With the slew of recent confirmations and disconfirmations, the charts are taking on more and more bizarre looks. :laugh:
-same thing about Sceptile
-Andy is missing
-DIxie's want score is outdated. She should be after Isaac

After these thing Are changed, the charts will be Correct.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Paper Mario
Chance: 85%
He certainly does have his merits, maybe even 95% due to the reveal of a Paper Mario stage.
I would beg Sakurai like a poor man living in the streets to get Paper Mario in the game, he deserves it more than any Mario character in my opinion.

Birdo
Chance: 15%
Want: Sounds like a cool addition, 80%
We need more female representation.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Paper Mario
Chance 0% - the series is just getting a stage and it's the same Mario
Want 0% - any variation of Mario is just an awful and unimaginative addition to the roster.

Birdo
Chance 0% - if this were Mario Party yes 100%
Want 0% - there are by far more worthy additions than Birdo

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Paper Mario
Chance 0% - the series is just getting a stage and it's the same Mario
Want 0% - any variation of Mario is just an awful and unimaginative addition to the roster.
For the record, Zero Suit Samus is the same Samus. Moreso than Paper Mario and Mario, even.

And I fail to see how Paper Mario in "unimaginative" unless he's a clone, which he wouldn't be.

andimidna

Smash Master
Paper Mario:
Chance: 23%
After they revealed Lucina I ranked him at a 7%, but decided Dr. Mario would be the Mario clone if they added one. So before this stage reveal, I was ready to give him a
3% chance. But now it's possible. Not likely. But Definitely possible.
His mechanics seem like something Sakurai would like.
Want: 60%
Either way I'm fine.

Birdo:
Chance: 0.5%
Almost 0
WOWWOWWWW!
That voice is hilarious. And those poses For taunts. I would love to beat people up with that.

X5 CIACIA

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
-same thing about Sceptile
-Andy is missing
-DIxie's want score is outdated. She should be after Isaac

After these thing Are changed, the charts will be Correct.
Oh brother. I'll wait till PK_Wonder and Colder_than_ice correct the lists then.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
For the record, Zero Suit Samus is the same Samus. Moreso than Paper Mario and Mario, even.

And I fail to see how Paper Mario in "unimaginative" unless he's a clone, which he wouldn't be.
He wouldn't be a clone but do we seriously need a variation of the most popular character from a series that already has enough reps. And that ZSS example doesn't apply, she started out as a transformation mechanic after all and Metroid doesn't have lots of characters to choose from anyway.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Oh brother. I'll wait till PK_Wonder and Colder_than_ice correct the lists then.
Finished that as you typed this!

Edit: and that was quite the blow to Sceptile, as he shot down to the levels of Ray from Custom Robo and Chibi-Robo.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
He wouldn't be a clone but do we seriously need a variation of the most popular character from a series that already has enough reps. And that ZSS example doesn't apply, she started out as a transformation mechanic after all and Metroid doesn't have lots of characters to choose from anyway.
So, Mario can't go past five characters? . . . wat

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Paper Mario:
Chance - 20%
That stage raises his chances by 20% in my eyes. Would've been an entire
Zero_Art.png
but that changes things up quite a bit.
Want - 50%
Once again, would be
Zero_Art.png
a bit ago but I recently realized that he wouldn't be a clone and also that I really don't care.
Birdo:
zero 2.png

That's a lot of Zeros in this post... anyway, Birdo is kind of just a secondary choice that I hate anyway. She really doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Lucas: 70%... Oh, wait, wrong Lucas
0.02%
Masked Dedede Final Smash: 71.24%

Dry Bowser Alt Costume x5

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Paper Mario
99.99% Chance
100% Want
Well, the stage sold me that he is out 6th Mario rep. Only question is if we will get one. I think we will. Therefore, super high chance.
Birdo
0% Chance
0% Want
lol

Lucas 0.01% Chance
Masked Dedede 64.55%

Nominating Impa x 5

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Paper Mario Chance: 33% It's probably a competition between him, Bowser Jr, and Dr. Mario at this point, though I think Bowser Jr. Would get in before Paper Mario, mostly due to NSMB's merits.

Nominations:
X5 Playable Bosses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom