• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random tech

Ol Jim Grizzigsby

Smash Rookie
If you buffer a jump using the control stick, and hold it in the jump quadrant, nana will continuously do hops (mostly well known) but her hops are slightly higher than short hops. havent really seen any real application for this but yeah, new(?) tech, or at least, i didnt read about it in any guides that i can remember.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
She is fulljumping, but the force pulls her downward which has the result of shortening her jump.

The reason Nana jumps continuously is because there's a 4 frame window for buffering tap jump (but not jump with X/Y). If you hold up on the control stick for the duration of the jump, and then land, Popo will not jump because the input was buffered for far longer than 4 frames. However, Nana enters CPU mode on impact, then quickly reunites with Popo; this effectively "wipes" her input queue, so that anything previously buffered is now considered fresh. In other words, she looks back 6 frames, sees that you're pressing jump, and acts from there; landing lag terminates less than 4 frames later, so the buffered jump takes effect.

This is the same mechanic that allows you to buffer desynchs from roll, spotdodge and so on (although this application is much less widely known). I will have a more detailed (and hopefully clearer) description in an upcoming thread on ICs' advanced mechanics.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
lol i know what buffering is, didnt think of the popo grav-well
I never implied you didn't know what buffering is, but this is a special mechanic that only works because of the way Nana interprets inputs. If the jump was simply buffered, Popo would jump continuously as well.

Top Bottom