• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #4 - Sonic

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'll have a decent amount to say about this later tonight or tomorrow.

Reminder to post matchup ratios if you feel comfortable doing so.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Interestingly enough, Arm Rotor can actually break through Sonic's spindash, though the spindash's priority tends to be pretty variable, so I can't speak for all occasions here. Planting a Gyro is a super good way to halt a Sonic's approach during a spindash and/or force him into the air, at which point he's pretty much at the mercy of your laser. Though on the other hand, Sonic can combo us to high hell, so I can't really say who has the advantage in this matchup, if anyone. Though if I had to hazard a guess, I would say ~60:40 in R.O.B.'s favor.

Last edited:

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Yea Lasers and Gyro are key here. Just keep him at bay when he's charging his spin.

Auroura

Smash Cadet
NNID
Auroura
I will say that if Gyro whiffs and Sonic picks it up or if they catch it in the air Sonic can just hold the gyro and that's probably the most annoying option R.O.B. has against him imo. Sure, we can do aerials or smashes while keeping it from you, but Laser can just be spot dodged or shielded. So I feel that I have a lot more freedom to spin dash/charge as I need with the absence of Gyro. Don't let Sonic hold it from you. I don't have TOO much R.O.B. experience but holding that gyro and going to town has worked against the R.O.B.s in my region.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
The matchup is in ROB's favor for sure. We have 2 great projectiles to keep his smurfy ass at bay. Let's not forget the terrible hitboxes on sonic's spindash, our melee range is good enough that we can beat out sonic's spin dash with almost anything, dtilt, ftilt, and jab are good options for this if you can get the timing right.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
This will be updated as I remember more. First off, here's one match I have on YT between me and Camalange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHc9PNoB3JE

Secondly, the matchup isn't heavily in Sonic's favor in my opinion. I think it ranges from 55:45 to 45:55. The thing people don't realize about Sonic is he's not safe. His approaches aren't inherently safe. Spindash is super vulnerable. When I fight Camalange's Sonic, I do a lot of retreating Nairs. This creates a wall of hitbox around me that blocks his ground approach and his grab game if he rushes me.

Something to note is if you're offstage, your safest approach back on stage is from below. If you recover high, you're probably going to eat a fair or bair. On the downside, recovering below means you're most likely going to eat a spring on the way up. If the Sonic looks kinda thirsty, you can try and cover your base by throwing out a Uair, but if you get hit out of your recovery, you're very liable to run out of fuel getting back.

Jabs and Dtilts are great in this matchup as well. Sonic moves fast so you're not going to have time to set up laggy moves sometimes, so it's important to be able to throw out a quick move to interrupt an approach.

Camalange's Sonic has a very strong grab game, but I'm not sure on Sonic's as a character; however, just be wary since Sonic is so fast which only helps his grab game.

More to come...

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Out of all the characters I use. I'd rather use Rob vs Sonic as opposed to Mario, Wario, or Peach. I feel like I have control in this match up. Even for Mario, it's a bit frustrating to hit him.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm still not sure who this match-up favors as I would need to play it more, but I think regardless of whose favor it is in, it's pretty negligible.

There are things Sonic has against ROB that he can abuse the hell out of, but the same can be said about ROB against Sonic.

If you let Sonic get in and have his way with you, you're going to get utterly mopped. Sonic's can combo ROB very easily due to his giant hurtbox and difficulty protecting himself from below. Uair strings are incredibly effective, and comboing into Uthrow>Spring>Uair or just Uair follow-ups/KOs in general are quite easy. When Sonic gets his momentum, it's some of the most fun I have playing this game.

On the flip side, however, when ROB zones the way he's supposed to, it's some of the least fun I have playing this game. My sets with GwJ are incredibly varied. I either bop him, he bops me, or it's janky overall.

Sonic has a pretty safe time edgeguarding ROB, but gimping is heavily reliant on stage spiking which can be teched. Otherwise, we'll just take our free damage and call it a day (Dropping springs, etc.) Even then though, ROB isn't completely helpless. The hardest thing for ROB trying to recover is that he can't attack WHILE using fuel, so Sonic can stuff that... ROB has to play very preemptively here, but I feel like that's how ROB has to play in general. Sonic will rely mostly on Uair, Bthrow, and Bair kills in this match-up I'd say, as smash attacks against ROB are so much more of a commitment that he would have an easier time dealing with.

The reason why ROB can do so well against Sonic though, is that Sonic's approaches are really awful. Our best approach in this match-up (and almost all match-ups) is shield... Yup. Against characters that don't have great zoning options, this isn't too bad for Sonic because of his plethora of mix-up tools... But against ROB, they can be rendered pretty useless if you just stay away from us. If we don't apply the pressure quickly, then it's a complete headache. ROB's gyros and lasers are effective, but outside of that, his tilts have good reach and his Nair surrounds him in hitboxes which really effectively cover Spin Dash/Spin Charge Rolls and Spin Dash/Spin Charge Jumps. It covers all our angles if we commit to a spin too much.

ROB's Uair also saves him imo. The fact that it's a kill move now is so good for him because Sonic's landing options are his other weakness outside of bad approaches. Catching/baiting/punishing our landing options is really easy for ROB since he can pressure you by putting gyros on ledges, pressuring from afar with lasers, and all that annoying stuff, so forcing us into bad positions is really easy and ROB can capitalize hard on that. Our landing options are far and few between, and if Sonic tries to land with Dair one too many times you can just Uair/Usmash us for a KO.

So basically, ROBs goal is to shut down Sonic before he can get too crazy. Sonic's approaches are only intimidating if you don't know how he works or what mix-up we're going for, but otherwise, are all easily outprioritized and really easy to camp out. However, if you make a bad call or leave yourself open, Sonic will completely hound you.

:093:

Last edited:
Top Bottom