• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pyrosphere: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The Pyrosphere is a simple looking stage with a big surprise. (Spoilers: It's Ridley.)

Shoutouts to @ Piford Piford who requested this stage next, I suspect just to watch me squirm trying to collate all the data.

Previously Covered
Temple
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Boxing Ring
Port Town Aero Dive
Bridge of Eldin
Pilotwings
Jungle Hijinxs
Wrecking Crew
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Big Battlefield
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town & City
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Pyrosphere has a simple layout. The main platform is unusually big (so Ridley can fit) with two platforms on either end, one on top of the other. The platforms are aysmmetrical, with the lower one offset to the left on both sides. A pillar below the stage prevents players from flying underneath.

Players 1 and 2 start on the main platform near the ledges. Players 3 and 4 start closer to the middle. The Omega Form has the same pillar.

Pyrosphere has three small hazards and one big one. (No points for guessing what.)

The Pyrosphere. To be more specific, the stage is located in the Geothermal Power Plant from Metroid: Other M.

Native Fauna
Before we get to the big hazard (coughRIDLEYcough), let's look at the native wildlife that can also appear. Calling them "native" is a bit of a stretch since one of them is a robot, but just roll with it. Fortunately for the players, none of the critters specifically aim at anyone in particular.

All enemies appear to do unusually big amounts of damage to Ridley.

Name|Picture|Notes
Joulion|
|2-3 Joulions descend from above at the same time. They start sparking with electricity and explode in sequence. 17% damage to players caught in the explosion. Attacking a Joulion causes it to explode prematurely. (Don't worry, it happens to lots of guys.)
MK II-Graham|
|The rarest to appear in testing. Does nothing on its own. Attacking one causes it to charge up and release a laser blast, then fly up and offscreen. Laser blast does 15% damage and cannot hurt the player that caused it to fire.
Zero|
|These critters fall from above and walk along the floor in a single direction before falling offstage if nothing interferes. Players can pick them up and throw them, which does 14% damage. They are intangible to all other attacks.
Ridley
Here's the bit everyone was waiting for.

Shortly after the match begins, Ridley makes a big entrance by charging across the center of the stage. From then on he proceeds to attack the players until he is defeated or until he gets bored and leaves. Ridley has big HP reserves, easily 500 or more. (Oh, my...)

If Ridley takes enough damage, even if it's not enough to kill him, he will become the ally of the last person to hit him. The threshold for this varies but is generally in the neighborhood of 30-50 HP. Ridley will flash when this threshold is close. If a player wishes to keep Ridley as an ally, they must be the one to land the decisive blow, otherwise Ridley will change his allegiance. Ridley's attacks will not harm the player he is allied to, as if it were a team battle with no friendly fire.

If Ridley takes enough damage to cross this threshold when he is standing on the ground, he will be knocked prone before getting back up and flying underneath the closest ledge. At this point he will grab on to the blue tube and use its power to transform into Meta Ridley. He will change allegiance as usual if applicable.

In the event that Ridley takes damage from non-player sources (such as stray Joulions), his allegiance will not change from its current stage. The Meta Ridley transformation also does not interfere with the allegiance changing process. If Meta Ridley leaves before being defeated, he will be regular Ridley when he reappears.

Ridley has many attacks, most of which are simply powered up as Meta Ridley, although he picks up a few new tricks after transforming. They can be shielded, but the sheer damage makes it risky to do so for fear of suffering a shield break. His attacks also tend to destroy the platforms located on either end of the stage. A fresh set rises from the ground shortly afterward.

In a time battle, the player to deal the finishing blow to Ridley receives a point.

Name|Picture|Notes
Charge|
|Ridley's opening attack as he first appears. Subsequent uses can come in at angles. Does 30% damage.
Ground Pound|
|Ridley pounds the ground. Does 15% as Ridley, 22% as Meta Ridley. Players higher up only take a 7% hit from both forms.
Slash|
|Ridley performs a series of 3 slashes with his claws with hideously high damage and knockback. Does 20%/15%/20% as Ridley and 25%/20%/25% as Meta Ridley. Meta Ridley in particular can oneshot characters caught in all 3 swipes.
Roar|
|Ridley roars. Players close by take 10% from Ridley and 15% from Meta Ridley with unusually high hitlag. Players further away are subjected to a powerful windbox.
Backdash|
|Ridley leaps backwards half a stage length. Players in the way take 8% from Ridley and 10% from Meta Ridley. Ridley's jump arc can cause him to miss some characters with lucky positioning.
Lunge|
|Ridley dashes the length of the stage and swipes with his claws before doing a 180 degree skid at the end. Does 15% as Ridley and 18% as Meta Ridley.
Fireball|
|Ridley shoots a fireball from his mouth that does 12% damage. As Ridley, he shoots a single fireball while as Meta Ridley he shoots three that spread out. This attack is aimed at a specific player.
Atomic Fireball|
|Meta Ridley fires a single large fireball at the center of the stage that creates a shockwave on the ground. Fireball does 20%, shockwave does 10%. This attack is only used by Meta Ridley.
Tail Stab|
|Meta Ridley stabs through the bottom of the stage with his tail after he first transforms. Each stab does 25% damage. Meta Ridley can stab 1-3 times in a row. Rage is limited to approximately half the stage. This attack only happens once and can only be used by Meta Ridley.
Knocked Down|
|Ridley after he's been knocked down on the ground. After this happens for the first time, he will begin the transformation to Meta Ridley. If he retreats without being defeated, he will once again be regular Ridley when he reappears.
Summary
  • Joulions explode for 17% damage, hit them to make it happen faster.
  • MK II-Graham shoots lasers for 15% damage when hit, cannot hurt player that caused it.
  • Zero walks offstage, can be picked up and thrown for 14% damage.
  • Ridley appears and attacks players, has 500+ HP.
  • Ridley becomes the ally of the player that deals the blow to cross one of several thresholds in his remaining HP.
  • Ridley transforms into Meta Ridley when first knocked down on the ground.
  • Ridley has many attacks, see above for details.
  • Ridley gives a point to the player that kills him in a time battle.

Last edited:
So the trophy description for Joulion says that you can hit them with combos for even deadlier blasts. Does that mean that they might be able to do more than 17% upon exploding, or is it typical weird Sakurai wording (the combo+the blast is deadlier than just the blast! :^) )?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So the trophy description for Joulion says that you can hit them with combos for even deadlier blasts. Does that mean that they might be able to do more than 17% upon exploding, or is it typical weird Sakurai wording (the combo+the blast is deadlier than just the blast! :^) )?
I have no idea. If I work up the motivation I can test it later this week.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
I hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stage

Even the omega version suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks, the lip is terrible.

Props to analyzing it very well tho :happysheep:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Shoutouts to @ Piford Piford who requested this stage next, I suspect just to watch me squirm trying to collate all the data.
**** you found me out. Totally malicious intent and not genuinely curious since my friend loves to pick this stage against me cause I hate it

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stageI hate this stage

Even the omega version suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks, the lip is terrible.

Props to analyzing it very well tho :happysheep:
I pride myself on being fairly thorough. Sometimes details slip through (check basically half the threads I make, there's usually a comment early on asking "but what about X?" and I go investigate further) but I like to think the average player can use my threads as a fairly good primer on basically any stage they please. (Only 11 left!)

**** you found me out. Totally malicious intent and not genuinely curious since my friend loves to pick this stage against me cause I hate it
I'm mostly poking a bit of fun at myself here since I was really dreading Pyrosphere. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though since Ridley doesn't actually change all that much once he transforms. The damage values change so I needed to check those, but it cut down on screenshot time a lot.

Gaur Plain and Pac-Land are the other biggies that I'm really not looking forward to. Pac-Land mostly because I'm not quite sure how I should go about trying to screenshot it. Given that it's 2D, do you think I could get away with stitching a bunch of screenshots together in Photoshop?

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Gaur Plain and Pac-Land are the other biggies that I'm really not looking forward to. Pac-Land mostly because I'm not quite sure how I should go about trying to screenshot it. Given that it's 2D, do you think I could get away with stitching a bunch of screenshots together in Photoshop?
This might help with Pac-Land as it outlines basically the entire stage.

Top Bottom