• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I figured our odds would be at least slightly better here since, to me at least, there's less of an overwhelming aura of "BUY OUR GAMES" than in SSB4. I guess having F-Zero stuff in there kind of helps.

But you're right, it would take a miracle. Or a petition. So basically a miracle.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Zero unfortunately, unless Nintendo starts adding a bunch of other characters from different franchises. Even then, her chances would still be low.

However...this does bring up possible Smash DLC. Since the game is probably finished at this point, if there is going to be DLC, NoA/Sakurai could be interested in seeing some of the player requests for DLC. I know it's a bit far fetched but...bare with me here. If this is true then this would mean now is a better time than ever to support and be vocal about Lip's inclusion.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So I take it I'm the only one with at least a dash of hope for Lip being in Smash, as minimal as it may be. Hmph.

Well, can't really blame ya. But there's no harm in believing, you know~

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
So I take it I'm the only one with at least a dash of hope for Lip being in Smash, as minimal as it may be. Hmph.

Well, can't really blame ya. But there's no harm in believing, you know~
With the leak pretty much being confirmed as real at this point, it's hard (if not pointless, no offense) to still hope that she's playable...(at least in the initial game, see my post above about potential DLC) especially since we already know what the remaining characters will be.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
With the leak pretty much being confirmed as real at this point, it's hard (if not pointless, no offense) to still hope that she's playable...(at least in the initial game, see my post above about potential DLC) especially since we already know what the remaining characters will be.
Do we? I don't recall that bit being confirmed.

Yeah, her chances are beyond abysmal, I understand, and I get that believing that she can still be in would be delusional...

But, you know. Everything is possible. I don't really wanna say she's been officially disconfirmed until Sakurai says so or the final roster is unveiled. I just want to be 100% assured she didn't make it.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Do we? I don't recall that bit being confirmed.

Yeah, her chances are beyond abysmal, I understand, and I get that believing that she can still be in would be delusional...

But, you know. Everything is possible. I don't really wanna say she's been officially disconfirmed until Sakurai says so or the final roster is unveiled. I just want to be 100% assured she didn't make it.
I believe the original 4chan leaker said that
Dixie, Impa, Mewtwo, Ridley, and Mach Rider (http://imgur.com/92NOfCW)
were left.

And I can understand why you're still holding out for Lip, as she hasn't outright been deconfirmed yet. We also haven't seen the final roster (the leak obviously isn't it), so she does technically still have a chance but...I personally can't expect her at this point as anything more than an assist trophy. If she doesn't get that at or at least a trophy, I'll be a bit sad haha.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
However...this does bring up possible Smash DLC. Since the game is probably finished at this point, if there is going to be DLC, NoA/Sakurai could be interested in seeing some of the player requests for DLC. I know it's a bit far fetched but...bare with me here. If this is true then this would mean now is a better time than ever to support and be vocal about Lip's inclusion.
If no one voted for Lip the first time, I find it hard to believe anyone will vote for her the second time. That's if there's DLC voting at all to begin with, obviously. For all we know the DLC could have been decided on ages ago.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just... realistic. It's clear to me at this point that Nintendo cares about making money first and showing love to its C-list franchises last.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I believe the original 4chan leaker said that
Dixie, Impa, Mewtwo, Ridley, and Mach Rider (http://imgur.com/92NOfCW)
were left.

And I can understand why you're still holding out for Lip, as she hasn't outright been deconfirmed yet. We also haven't seen the final roster (the leak obviously isn't it), so she does technically still have a chance but...I personally can't expect her at this point as anything more than an assist trophy. If she doesn't get that at or at least a trophy, I'll be a bit sad haha.
there are 4 slots left (not counting Mii Fighters) it could be a combination of Lucas, IC, Wolf, Dixie, Ridley, Mewtwo, Krystal, K.Rool, the other ones you mentioned, and even Lip. I don't think the leaker said anything about the rest of the cast that wasn't unlocked so we have to wait and see.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
there are 4 slots left (not counting Mii Fighters) it could be a combination of Lucas, IC, Wolf, Dixie, Ridley, Mewtwo, Krystal, K.Rool, the other ones you mentioned, and even Lip. I don't think the leaker said anything about the rest of the cast that wasn't unlocked so we have to wait and see.
Actually its 5 left, Mii Fighters are accessed through a different menu. The chances of Lip are quite slim, though.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
I wouldn't look too much into the number of slots, however, it would make sense. All we can really do at the moment is wait for some kind of confirmation or deconfirmation that Lip is playable, whether it be through another leak or Sakurai himself.

being a lip supporter is suffering

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Lip's chances are the same. She has not been officially deconfirmed, so she still has a chance.

Personally, I feel good about her making it in the game as a playable character.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lip's chances are the same. She has not been officially deconfirmed, so she still has a chance.

Personally, I feel good about her making it in the game as a playable character.
I disagree. Sakurai tends to like to include a classic character per game, MAYBE you can argue two, although that may be less likely in this game. We've got Duck Hunt Dog as well, that drops her chances significantly. Its still possible, but I wouldn't bet on it at all. I'd be shocked if she was even an Assist Trophy, unfortunately...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Like I said, Panel de Pon may not even be old enough to be considered "retro" by Nintendo's standards. It turns 20 next year, so maybe Lip will have a better chance in the fifth game, if there is one.

Maybe Nintendo will even do something to celebrate the series' anniversary then. But probably not.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I disagree. Sakurai tends to like to include a classic character per game, MAYBE you can argue two, although that may be less likely in this game. We've got Duck Hunt Dog as well, that drops her chances significantly. Its still possible, but I wouldn't bet on it at all. I'd be shocked if she was even an Assist Trophy, unfortunately...
You know that is an unofficial leak and the videos given of Bowser Jr. and Shulk don't automatically tie together with the Roster shown before hand right?

Until Duck Hunt Dog is shown officially as a playable character and preferably by Sakurai or someone who gets the game September 13th, then nothing is riding against Lip.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Actually its 5 left, Mii Fighters are accessed through a different menu. The chances of Lip are quite slim, though.
Really? huh. Well huzzah another character.
We all know Lips chances are always abysmal. All we can do is hope.
I'd actually be surprised if Lip isn't an AT. If someone even more obscure than Lip like Prince Sable can be an AT then so can she.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
You know that is an unofficial leak and the videos given of Bowser Jr. and Shulk don't automatically tie together with the Roster shown before hand right?
They came from the same source didn't they? I'm not 100% on this myself, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
They came from the same source didn't they? I'm not 100% on this myself, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Even still. Just showing one character from the "leak" in a legit looking video does not automatically make all the other characters legit unless they show legit looking gameplay videos of said character.

Still, I am waiting for an official deconfirmation from Sakurai himself before counting out Lip or any other character for that matter.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Even still. Just showing one character from the "leak" in a legit looking video does not automatically make all the other characters legit unless they show legit looking gameplay videos of said character.

Still, I am waiting for an official deconfirmation from Sakurai himself before counting out Lip or any other character for that matter.
Fair enough. It's all we can do for the time being, anyway. Good luck, Lip. ; _ ;

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I wish I could be that optimistic. I still think Ridley, K. Rool, and Isaac are likely playable, but I have very little hope for Lip at all.
Well, if that is what you believe. I support characters until the bitter end, either when they are confirmed or deconfirmed I shall support them.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, if that is what you believe. I support characters until the bitter end, either when they are confirmed or deconfirmed I shall support them.
Who said I stopped supporting Lip? I still support characters to the bitter end, that doesn't mean I actively believe a character will be playable. I support Krystal, even though I haven't thought she'd be playable since Spring.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Who said I stopped supporting Lip? I still support characters to the bitter end, that doesn't mean I actively believe a character will be playable. I support Krystal, even though I haven't thought she'd be playable since Spring.
Never said that you did. My first sentence saying "if that is what you believe" was referencing to what you said that you think Lip's chances are low.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm not going to get my hopes up. There's overwhelming evidence against her being playable. I'd like to keep an open mind about this, but there's not much left to go on. Best we can hope for is an assist trophy.

If it does turn out our little Lip isn't in the game at all, then we can repurpose all of our passion to see if we can get her as Mario Kart 8 DLC. Honestly speaking, her odds aren't good there either, possibly worse, but even if we're not successful we at least made some noise. The more people who know about us, the better!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not going to get my hopes up. There's overwhelming evidence against her being playable. I'd like to keep an open mind about this, but there's not much left to go on. Best we can hope for is an assist trophy.

If it does turn out our little Lip isn't in the game at all, then we can repurpose all of our passion to see if we can get her as Mario Kart 8 DLC. Honestly speaking, her odds aren't good there either, possibly worse, but even if we're not successful we at least made some noise. The more people who know about us, the better!
Honestly, I think she'd be MORE likely as Mario Kart DLC since her original game was rebranded as a Mario game. Either way her chances are slim, but I'll support her for anything. They need to bring back the fairies and Panel de Pon in general.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Better yet, try to squeeze every fairy into one huge DLC pack! ...Which is even less likely in the long run, but it would be cool...

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Well, there seems to be a small divide between the people who think Lip still has a chance and that she doesn't...so let's take a quick look at what she has going for her and what she doesn't (not sure if this has been done before or not).

THE PROS

- Was considered to be a playable character before.
- Hasn't been referred to by name yet.
- Lip's Stick, her item, was shown outside of the Smash Direct. Therefore it's symbol/emblem/series of origin remains currently ambiguous.
- Has been indirectly involved in the series since Melee.
- Her theme was remixed in Brawl, meaning Sakurai is at least still aware of her existence.
- Unique moveset potential.
- Her inclusion would bring attention to Panel De Pon and the Puzzle League franchise for a potential revival.

THE CONS

- Was considered a long time ago (Smash 64) and ultimately decided against due to her obscurity.
- Her game of origin was changed for audiences outside of Japan, making her even more obscure to the rest of the world.
- Sakurai seems to be going for the iconic characters this time around.
- Her item (and primary method of doing well...everything) has been a series staple since Melee.
- Apparent roster leak doesn't mention her being playable. (this is arguable, since there could be more unmentioned characters)
- Kirby's Down + B still transforms him into one of her garbage blocks.
- Has yet to directly appear in a Smash Bros game. (No, I'm not counting her sticker in Brawl. This could also be considered a pro as she's part of a currently unrepresented series in Smash, excluding her item)

So...it appears that Sakurai at the very least is most certainly aware of her. What do you guys take from this? Let me know if I missed any important points, too.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, there seems to be a small divide between the people who think Lip still has a chance and that she doesn't...so let's take a quick look at what she has going for her and what she doesn't (not sure if this has been done before or not).

THE PROS

- Was considered to be a playable character before.
- Hasn't been referred to by name yet.
- Lip's Stick, her item, was shown outside of the Smash Direct. Therefore it's symbol/emblem/series of origin remains currently ambiguous.
- Has been indirectly involved in the series since Melee.
- Her theme was remixed in Brawl, meaning Sakurai is at least still aware of her existence.
- Unique moveset potential.
- Her inclusion would bring attention to Panel De Pon and the Puzzle League franchise for a potential revival.

THE CONS

- Was considered a long time ago (Smash 64) and ultimately decided against due to her obscurity.
- Her game of origin was changed for audiences outside of Japan, making her even more obscure to the rest of the world.
- Sakurai seems to be going for the iconic characters this time around.
- Her item (and primary method of doing well...everything) has been a series staple since Melee.
- Apparent roster leak doesn't mention her being playable. (this is arguable, since there could be more unmentioned characters)
- Kirby's Down + B still transforms him into one of her garbage blocks.
- Has yet to directly appear in a Smash Bros game. (No, I'm not counting her sticker in Brawl. This could also be considered a pro as she's part of a currently unrepresented series in Smash, excluding her item)

So...it appears that Sakurai at the very least is most certainly aware of her. What do you guys take from this? Let me know if I missed any important points, too.
I say if there's any more obscure Retro characters in the game, or even if Sakurai goes for a true puzzle game rep (with puzzle games represented in the actual moveset), Lip is probably the top contender, but that's not saying much. I don't think the odds look good for her, but Lip's Stick as an item and Kirby transforming into a Garbage Block mean nothing for her being a playable candidate.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
I say if there's any more obscure Retro characters in the game, or even if Sakurai goes for a true puzzle game rep (with puzzle games represented in the actual moveset), Lip is probably the top contender, but that's not saying much. I don't think the odds look good for her, but Lip's Stick as an item and Kirby transforming into a Garbage Block mean nothing for her being a playable candidate.
While that is true, it can be argued that Lip's Stick and Kirby's Garbage Block transformation (mainly Lip's stick) is Sakurai's way of "representing" Panel De Pon in Smash. Maybe a bit far fetched, yes, but that's just my two cents.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
One item and a cameo are hardly adequate representation, in my opinion.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I remember actually imagining this months before the yesterday's DLC. Impossibility though, considering Lip's obscurity.
I dunno I think Lip would fit in really well with the art style of Mario Kart and she'd certainly look iconic with her red ponytail flowing in the wind. I suppose she has the same unlikely chance at being in either of these games.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The art style of Panel de Pon is considerably more anime than Super Mario Bros., but they're both bright, cheerful, and cute, so I can definitely see it working. On the off-chance that it does happen.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Holy crap, this thread's been dead all day. Then again, there really isn't much to talk about due to the lack of information regarding Lip. ...So here's a picture of Lip thinking
I guess she's pondering the chances of her inclusion

Top Bottom