• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puff secondary for Sheik??

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
Hey all, I don't know if anyone remembers me or nah, haven't been on the boards for a long while now. I've learned a lot and gotten much better with my Luigi since last time I was on here but as I progress I am also realizing where my biggest problems lie for the future.

I don't need to tell you all how hard Luigi vs. Sheik is, we've all been there and done that. I've come to accept that my character has a Sheik problem as well as myself as a player. I am having ridiculously close games with Sheiks that are below my skill level. I'm starting to consider picking up Jigglypuff as a secondary exclusively for Sheik to resolve the issue and I want other opinions about it. Very few characters actually have any advantage over Sheik and of those few the only two I can imagine myself playing are Puff and ICs and I feel so far that of the two Puff would suit me better. Nothing is set in stone yet, I just want to see what people think of the idea. I figure the experience of playing a floaty already should carry over so that should help. The only thing I need to consider also is if I'm trying to go Puff only against Sheik I might get character counter picked which may be an issue if I don't dabble a little in other Puff MUs as well. Thanks in advance to anyone who has input about this idea.

Flurb18

Smash Cadet
Sure, if you're okay with giving up your DIGNITY too.

Stay strong. Stay Luigi. No match-up is unwinnable. You just need to reflect, train, study, and know that this weird ass slippery green dude can do anything.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I actually feel that way about the Puff MU. But don't give up. Sheik isn't that bad (to me). Just work hard and you'll get it.

If you are serious about this, Fox, Falco, Marth would all potentially work too. I don't think Puff translates super well, despite the floaty-ness of Luigi. IC's would be a far better option. Cause you can behave like Luigi and still do well.

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
After thinking about it more, I was thinking too that ICs would translate better. Still don't know if I'll go for it. I know Luigi can do it but I feel like it's just too inconsistent in tournament, I don't wanna lose just because I got matchup-ed. Even if I do pick up a secondary though, Long term, I do see myself continuing to use Luigi for it because I'll have the experience by then to know exactly what to do to make it happen. One could argue on the other hand though that I shouldn't waste my time on a temporary secondary. It's a dilemma, but no matter what I decide I need to figure out what I can do to better understand the strategy to win the MU.

I appreciate all input guys, seriously thanks, other opinions and thoughts will help me find the correct answer.

wiiqwertyuiop

Smash Cadet
Personally, I feel like at low and mid-level no macthup is really unwinnable against most characters. Skill can overcome most matchups until you start playing higher-level opponents.

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
Just to close this up, I decided definitely no Puff. ICs I'll maybe try at some point but no Puff. Thanks again for all input.

Bandito

Smash Rookie
Bro, at low and mid tier level I don't think any match up is unwinnable. I would recommend keeping with Luigi and learning the MU against shiek. Sure it may cause you to lose a lot, but in the long run you'll benefit from it more than just learning a secondary for one MU. I say stick to your guns, and go weegee.

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
Vudu hit me up with some great tips on the MU. It's definitely doable. Most important things to keep in mind are:

1.) Don't wavedash too much -- use it to retreat or get in quickly when you see an opening.
2.) Getting grabbed is the easiest way to lose your stock. Getting a grab is the easiest way end hers quickly.
3.) Sheik is fast and wants you to make mistakes (everyone knows about the 'Luigi syndrome' at this point). Sometimes you're better off waiting for her to get impatient than to be aggressive.
4.) Watch out for needles whether in the air or on the ground because that damage adds up fast and your recovery is so reliant on making sure EVERY LITTLE THING goes according to plan (B-button mashing, aiming the misfire).
5.) Your combo game on her sooooo great; she is the perfect weight to eat several aerials off a single up throw even if she DIs it.
6.) N-air is great at med-low %s. If she goes for the ledge on her up-B then it will catch her. It pops her up just enough so that you can combo her and then hit her with F-air or D-air.
7.) Master reverse F-air: learn it! On stages where she can land on the platforms from her recovery you can immediately shut her down and get back into a rinse-and-repeat cycle almost like Samus does with D-smash.

I think all Luigi players should try this match-up before considering switching.

Last edited:
Top Bottom