• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA: The Front Page, and How It Will Function Until Oct. 3

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Hey all, The Derrit here. Lots of things have happened as the Japanese release date looms: a surprise demo was put out two days ago, and last night someone got their hands on a copy of the game, spilling some of its secrets even before release date. Put these things together with the leak from last month and you've got a whole lot of information out there about a game that most people on Smashboards won't even get to play for another three weeks.

Now, the writing staff has been put in an interesting position. Our job is to keep you informed and entertained. However, draining all of the surprises out of a game people have been waiting to play for years is the last thing we want to do. You may have noticed that throughout this past week, we have not been covering leaks, Zipzo's impressions, or information from the Smash Bros. for 3DS demo that came out on Tuesday. This is because we want you, our readers, to be able to experience these surprises for yourself if you so choose.

Let me tell you a short story. When I first played Super Smash Bros. Melee, it was 2001 and I was twelve years old. I played the adventure mode, event mode, and versus mode with friends and I had a blast the whole way through. I didn't know what to expect outside what EGM (look it up) had told me, and so when I unlocked Mewtwo and Ganondorf (Melee spoilers) it was a complete surprise. I'm convinced that a large reason I love that game so much, and that I'm still a part of this community today, is that the sheer joy I felt unlocking all the secrets of Melee compelled me to keep playing it. I'd like to be able to give the members of our community a chance to feel that same joy for this game.

So here's what we're going to do going forward. Any post that contains sensitive information will be marked with a big [SPOILERS] tag, and any picture that would be displayed on the front page will not contain any information not already officially announced by Nintendo. Things like characters, stages, or game modes that aren't official knowledge will not be visible from our home page. However, we cannot guarantee that the forums will be the same - if you head to the forums, expect to be spoiled.

Happy Smashing.

Best,

Barrett "The Derrit" Womack

Now you know where my tag comes from. Follow me on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Thanks Derrit. I agree, unlocking characters and feeling an great satisfaction from discovering the secrets of Smash is one of the reasons I personally love the series.

So until then, remember to show common courtesy when posting here, everyone.

Last edited:

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Thank you so much! I felt the same joy and surprise with Marth, Roy, and Doc in Melee and want to avoid as many spoilers as possible. This means I can at least come to the front page to sooth my Smash craving til the 3rd.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I find surprises annoying and dissapointing :C

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Good on you guys to keep the spoilers separated for those who don't want them, but I'm personally fine with them; I just want to know what's in the game already. To me, spoilers don't diminish my hype for a game, since all the screenshots and videos may let me see what's in store, but playing is a completely different experience. Just my opinion though, I'll respectfully reserve my spoilers thoughts for the forums :D

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
I'm glad you guys are doing it this way. Unfortunately, I honestly don't think I'll last 3 weeks without unintentionally getting spoilers from the internet, so I'm just going to completely not care and try to indulge as much information about Smash 4 as I can instead.

I still kind of wish it was 2001 again though...

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I prefer to be surprised, but to be frank, this is too late. We've already seen the big leak because of the main page, and with so little time left until release there's really not a whole lot left to see.

Besides that, it unfortunately does very little, if anything, for every other social media site out there. If I hadn't seen the leak on Smashboards, I'd have seen it an hour later when I went to Youtube, and every single recommended video for me had Bowser Jr. plastered over the thumbnail. On Facebook, a friend had posted a video that had the presence of mind to put *SPOILERS* in the title, and yet the thumbnail was just a screenshot of the entire leaked roster. Beyond that, there's Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit, etc. Even if I had disconnected my router for the day, I still got texts from my friends asking how crazy it was that Duck Hunt Dog was included.

Yeah, spoilers are annoying, but we live in an age where we're too connected, at least in this case. Even if we've chosen to surround ourselves only with people who respect the golden rule of not talking about spoilers, all it takes is one person to break it and the entire internet - that is, the environment many of us spend a significant portion of our days in - is set ablaze with unfiltered data, regardless of whether we wanted to see it or not.

I agree, this is probably why I still love Melee best. The surprise was something to work towards. Yet, short of going full-blown hermit, it's just not possible these days.

I appreciate the sentiment (late as it is), but I fear it won't make much of a different in the long run. The damage is already done, but it's no one person's fault. It's an unavoidable function of the vehicles we use to gain information, and in part a matter of the state of the people using it.

D

Deleted member

Too late Derrit, I already know Master Chief and Peter Griffin are in Smash.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
So this is a thread telling people how you will warn them of spoilers to prevent people from reading spoilers if they so choose and not spoiling any information? ok.....?

Why not make a thread of what you want to talk about instead of talking about possible information that you won't talk about? What was the point of this? Mark it [SPOILERS] and actually talk about it lol; not the theory of talking about said topic that you're not talking about...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Thanks for doing this. I would say the majority of the smash community (who aren't obsessively checking the internet for info btw) do not know the roster (we all still don't necessarily know the full roster!) and might prefer not to know until they unlock characters for themselves.

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
Can you guys please, please PLEASE do the same for large tournaments? I check Smashboards when I get home but I often don't get to watch the videos until later at night. Not knowing who will win the Grand Finals set only makes it more exciting.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Yup, time to add KYM and SmashBoards to my personal blacklist. Now I won't be tempted to look up the roster--

>shrek confirmed

Well ain't that just a kick in the head--

>goku confirmed

Oh wow, they really went all the way with third party characters--

>ridley confirmed

Am I drunk or high--?

>mewtwo returns

Oh hey, he was fun in Melee--

>chorus kids

Yeah, high. I'm definitely high.

Top Bottom