• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M vs Melee

joeplicate

Smash Master
looks really weird

is there any way to change melee, instead?
i was messing around with game and watch today, and i thought it's a **** shame his shield doesn't exist and he can't l-cancel all his moves

or like, nerfing knee by 10%, or fox's upsmash a little bit, or really really slight tweaks to balance it like that

are melee hacks only cosmetic as of right now?

shanus

Smash Hero
looks really weird

i was messing around with game and watch today, and i thought it's a **** shame his shield doesn't exist and he can't l-cancel all his moves

or like, nerfing knee by 10%, or fox's upsmash a little bit, or really really slight tweaks to balance it like that

melee hacks will never reach the level of work accomplished in brawl hacks

shanus

Smash Hero
well that was a pretty weird thing to say

i'm not calling you out or anything, just wondering
No no, its just that the hacking scene had several very talented hackers who likely wouldn't have interest in exploring melee's systems. Brawls methods are fairly transferable to other games, and we have applications to view and edit brawl character files and action files. I just don't see melee every getting that level of control, especially without some very powerful coders.

Revven

FrankerZ
Not to mention, you're even more restricted in how to distribute the codes or hacks. If I recall correctly, all of what's been done so far in Melee requires you to replace the files directly in the .iso of the game and burn it and run a GCN backup launcher on the GC/Wii. If Melee were to be able to get as far as Brawl did, that would be a huge limitation and not many people would wind up playing it due to not wanting to try burning a GCN disc or messing with the .iso.

Even if you got codes to load the hacked files, you'd need something to hold the changed files in, which would be a memory card. However, that's a problem because if I recall wParam's code that changes how some of the stuff works in the game (metal box works like a POW block for example) requires a specific program to stick his save file he changed onto the memory card on top of needing a way to stick the memory card in the computer. Yes, some of that is free some of it isn't, having to buy stuff is kind of a problem if it's expensive.

The point I'm making is that, you'd hit a brick wall if you managed to get to where Brawl hacking is because of accessibility. If it's not easily accessible, then it's not going to get to the audience you want it to get to. Brawl hacking is easily accessible, not just because you use an SD Card, because you don't even have to hack your Wii anymore for it, you can use Brawl itself to load the application you need to load the codes.

Fletch

Smash Master
looks really weird

If that were to happen I'd be done with Melee.

Pi

Smash Hero
If I can pop project M in, play samus, and feel like I'm playing melee, then idc I'll play whatever, some new characters/stages would be fun but you don't have to leave anything behind if it plays the same

Geist

Smash Master
If P:M is successful in it's ambitions I'll gladly play it. Some people need to get rid of their Brawl shock. Melee won't be going anywhere, and if anything P:M will be positive for the melee scene. If it's not going to be exactly like melee, and it won't, then I'll continue playing melee too.

Plus fox looks like ****** in Brawl.

SpiderBubble

Smash Cadet
Project M isn't going to make Melee players stop playing Melee. If anything they'll play both games. I know I'll try it out for sure, and I'll probably like it, assuming ZSS is still fun to play.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Something that is trying to be Melee will never be as good as real Melee.

So it wont change thing, or if anything people will go "O lemme try project M." Then they will realize how much they miss Melee and how better of a game it was and we might get more people to show up. This is unlikely though.
completely agree

TL?

Smash Ace
I don't understand the one or the other mentality. People will play both. And besides, Melee isn't going anywhere. Brawl+ and BB are 1000 times better than brawl and yet we still have brawl tournaments.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
I think Project Melee is amazing and that you guys are doing a fantastic job.

And it's only in alpha right now. Holy crap.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I got kinda upset when I saw that they kept Sheik's NTSC throw from Melee, heh. I don't view that particular throw as one of the many things that make Melee better than Brawl. I hope they'll change it.

Anyway, I think P:M looks really cool. If it delivers on its promises, it'll be Melee with more characters and possibly better balance. Sounds rather amazing.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
nah it wont hurt.
even though project m is the ****. i would still always play melee. theres just something about it. llittle things like the way the way **** sounds when the characters hit each other. or the overall presentation.
ive brought melee 4 times in my life and im not about to stop playing it now.
although yall need ot do something bout falcos recovery casue its hot *** right now lmao
plus make peaches counter frames come out fast so people can do it on reacton its way too slow.
i think people should try it out. i mean it has more characters then melee so its pretty fun. ive think once all the characters are fixed i think it could become tournament standard along side melee.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they are broke, it's just the lower tiers and lower mid tiers aren't good enough. Leave those the way they are and just buff the lower tiers :D
I agree with this. They just need buffs in the Bottom/Low/Mid tier areas. If they did that imo there would be no need for anything other then the original Melee.

I still think Project M is fun though, played it at a friends house yesterday. Though in all honesty nothing can ever compare to the feeling of normal Melee. It just has a style that has been unmatched for so long.

shanus

Smash Hero
I got kinda upset when I saw that they kept Sheik's NTSC throw from Melee, heh. I don't view that particular throw as one of the many things that make Melee better than Brawl. I hope they'll change it.

Anyway, I think P:M looks really cool. If it delivers on its promises, it'll be Melee with more characters and possibly better balance. Sounds rather amazing.
DI potency is a bit higher in brawl, so it actually isn't as scary as you think

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I will switch to Project M if they get my mains right and it becomes big enough. I said the same thing about Brawl+, but they didn't manage it.

As long as I have a G&W, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Ness and Ganondorf that I am satisfied with, the Melee community won't see me again.

joeplicate

Smash Master
Not to mention, you're even more restricted in how to distribute the codes or hacks. If I recall correctly, all of what's been done so far in Melee requires you to replace the files directly in the .iso of the game and burn it and run a GCN backup launcher on the GC/Wii. If Melee were to be able to get as far as Brawl did, that would be a huge limitation and not many people would wind up playing it due to not wanting to try burning a GCN disc or messing with the .iso.

Even if you got codes to load the hacked files, you'd need something to hold the changed files in, which would be a memory card. However, that's a problem because if I recall wParam's code that changes how some of the stuff works in the game (metal box works like a POW block for example) requires a specific program to stick his save file he changed onto the memory card on top of needing a way to stick the memory card in the computer. Yes, some of that is free some of it isn't, having to buy stuff is kind of a problem if it's expensive.

The point I'm making is that, you'd hit a brick wall if you managed to get to where Brawl hacking is because of accessibility. If it's not easily accessible, then it's not going to get to the audience you want it to get to. Brawl hacking is easily accessible, not just because you use an SD Card, because you don't even have to hack your Wii anymore for it, you can use Brawl itself to load the application you need to load the codes.
afaik you can use burned DVDs and play them on your wii

and, if you wanted to make a fast, technical game like melee (or w/e the aims are) then it still seems easier to me to start from melee

or i could just call the whole thing dumb and move on

:psycho::psycho::psycho::dizzy::p

Zodiac

Smash Master
The only way I would personally switch over is if it emulated melee PERFECTLY with all existing characters and then they made the newer characters really feel like they would have been in melee, and find a way to bring back all five of axed melee characters along with their counterparts they were cloned from, and mewtwo. But since they wont be able to do that I just want to find a way to spread melee.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Hey guys, we should all only play PAL Melee.

shut up

now where were we, oh yes, project m is cool but

I'm afraid it's never gonna reach the awesomeness of melee :urg:

Thumbs up for the hackers though, u are amazing :lick:

I'll be looking forward to see what project m has to offer

Zone

Smash Champion
I'd rather wish for a Project Balanced Melee than Project make brawl like melee. But Project M is better than nothing :D. We people always want more :3

EDIT: by balanced melee, I mean like I said before, leave the high tiers alone, and buff the not so good characters just slightly.

Son1cCh3f

Smash Rookie
i think that project m will be a great game,but will never replace melee,now will it effect the melee community,in a good way probably so,it might actually show most brawl people how fun melee is,iam pretty sure alot of people,even big melee names like mango are gonna try it and enjoy it but only play as a casual game,not their new standard,it might replace brawl+ as being the main side event at most tourneys

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
i think that project m will be a great game,but will never replace melee,now will it effect the melee community,in a good way probably so,it might actually show most brawl people how fun melee is,iam pretty sure alot of people,even big melee names like mango are gonna try it and enjoy it but only play as a casual game,not their new standard,it might replace brawl+ as being the main side event at most tourneys
If this game reaches its goal I think a year from now Melee and Melee 2.0 tournaments could be held at the same venue and get just as many entrances. If it plays the same with more and more viable characters...why wouldn't it?

by balanced melee, I mean like I said before, leave the high tiers alone, and buff the not so good characters just slightly.
Its no secret that Balance isn't number 1 on the priority list but its a pretty close second. Characters like Mr.Gaymanwatch and Zelda have already shown the ability to compete with/beat current top tiers.....so....yeah

Jonas

Smash Champion
I hope you guys are gonna do a really solid job and only release it when it's truly finished, because one of the main problems with B+ for me was that it got changed like every week. Of course, a balance patch once in a while would be great if it was needed :)

Zone

Smash Champion
If this game reaches its goal I think a year from now Melee and Melee 2.0 tournaments could be held at the same venue and get just as many entrances. If it plays the same with more and more viable characters...why wouldn't it?

Its no secret that Balance isn't number 1 on the priority list but its a pretty close second. Characters like Mr.Gaymanwatch and Zelda have already shown the ability to compete with/beat current top tiers.....so....yeah
No they haven't. Zelda may do ok against a couple like Falco(still in falco's favor), and Peach. But she has barely any chance against Fox Falcon or Shiek.

Same for GW, I hear he's pretty ok against falcon, but gets wrecked by shieldpokers like Ganon, marth ect.

EDIT: also I think you think that I was talking about balancing Project M... I was just saying i'd prefer a hacked melee where the lower tiers were balanced. As oppose to a hacked brawl made to be like Melee.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
People don't understand how troublesome it is to hack gamecube games <_<.

In addition to that, you'd be leaving out all of the brawl characters. You'd think more people would be looking forward to melee with more characters, but whatever <_<.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
No they haven't. Zelda may do ok against a couple like Falco(still in falco's favor), and Peach. But she has barely any chance against Fox Falcon or Shiek.

Same for GW, I hear he's pretty ok against falcon, but gets wrecked by shieldpokers like Ganon, marth ect.

EDIT: also I think you think that I was talking about balancing Project M... I was just saying i'd prefer a hacked melee where the lower tiers were balanced. As oppose to a hacked brawl made to be like Melee.
Yeah that is what I thought. Either way take what you can get. 6 months to a year from now this will likely be complete and it'll contain everything you want with more. What we were suppose to get with brawl but didn't. To turn your back on such a project which at this point has not only proven possible but probable to succeed. I just...Idk I can't understand the logic. Its like refusing to Use a PS3 that plays Blue-Ray but instead using a regular DVD player because you just can't envision how the video quality could improve....

Revven

FrankerZ
afaik you can use burned DVDs and play them on your wii

and, if you wanted to make a fast, technical game like melee (or w/e the aims are) then it still seems easier to me to start from melee

or i could just call the whole thing dumb and move on

:psycho::psycho::psycho::dizzy::p
I already said that you'd have to burn a DVD... did you not read anything I said? That's not accessible, that's making it more convoluted than just putting files on an SD Card. People are even bloody scared to even install the HBC on their Wii, let alone mess with their SD Card... what makes you think those same people will just be perfectly fine modding their Wii to run a burned DVD of Melee? It's not likely they will.

Like I said before, hacking Melee to the point that Brawl hacking has become won't likely happen and even if it does, it won't be easily distributable.

Anyway, I'd like to remind you folks that are saying "it won't replace Melee" to realize that that isn't the goal of the project at all (if it is correct me if I am wrong). It's to try and emulate Brawl's engine to as close as possible to Melee's and so far, they've done a bang up job. To ignore such work just on the basis of other modded Brawl games or to ignore it just because you're happy with Melee is just plain ignorant. Think of it as being alongside Melee.

Edit: Also new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJHSVROUwyU

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
people also seem to not understand the part where it's nearly impossible to have a Melee hack be easily accessible LOL.

M2K told me it would be a good game to have as an event at a tourney where Melee is also present. He didn't mention Brawl.

Top Bottom