• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Visual Fixing/Updating Thread [Lastest Update: 10/03/15]

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
The title might cause some misunderstandings as well as coming off very controversial but this is something I wanted to do for a while now but never really had time to due to my own custom build and being on the Smash 3 team.

So basically this thread is a communuity work build, specifically fixing visual aspects of the current 3.5 release and addressing them, what makes this different to my other thread is that this is a build everyone will be able to work on.

The idea is simple, fix up the issues that 3.5 has and bundle them all up into this build, I like to clarify there won't be any gameplay fixes (If there are any that is, I do play competitively at times but not to a degree thinking things need to be changed, I'm more of a visual guy at the end of the day), this is a build/idea soley on fixing the glaring visual problems that Project M 3.5 currently has, it's something I've noticed for a while now and because I myself don't get much time I wanted to make a thread where everyone can contribute to some degree.

Right now, down below I'm going to list a bunch of visual issues with 3.5, as well any fixes that have come up from there, right now I'll list the basic ones and later going to split them into different sections, like one section to a simple visual error such as Sigrud Marth's red costume's pant glowing that can be easily fixed, to more of a debatable ones such as costume colors like whether Armor Charizard should have a red color or whatnot to match the original, that's an example mind! Eventually it might branch off into parts such as model fixes (Lucario's arm) and so forth, in any case let's jump into it so I can give you a better idea than explaining it in words, a picture is worth a thousand words I say!

Original Issue: Dr Mario's model is larger than Mario's, here's the before/after comparison: BEFORE and AFTER As well as various issues, these include: GhostPantsFix , MirrorFix and ExtraVertextFix
Solution: All those issues have been fixed up, resized, texture fixes, and all of the above fixed, also gloves have been fixed up as well. Credit to Taiko

Original Issue: Because the Gold lining was taken out of the Red Sigurd Marth's pants, the spec caused a part of his pants to glow white. SCREENSHOT
Solution: I made a version with the gold lining added in to keep with consistency with the rest of the Sigurd costumes.

Original Issue: Big Boss costume had various issues which stood out when compared to the default costume:
Solution: Updated the head with Brawl's model, by doing this, it allowed for more higher quality textures and various fixes, too many to list, here's some screenshots to how in detail: PIC1 | PIC2 | PIC3 | PIC4

Original Issue: His sword shrinks when he does this side taunt. SCREENSHOT
Solution:
Adding the sheath can fix the taunt as a whole. Credit to Rage83.

Original Issue: On the training stage the platforms don't work. SCREENSHOT
Solution: Platforms are fixed and now have collision. Credit to Theytah.

Original Issue: Transparency Around Justin Bailey's Eyes SCREENSHOT
Solution: Like the training stage, a fix has already been done for this. Credit to Mewtwo2000.

Original Issue: Big Boss Snake Alt's Final Smash only shows half of the yellow eye. SCREENSHOT
Solution: Final smash eye has been corrected and in place. Credit to Rage83

Original Issue: Pajamas Alt Ness final smash eyes aren't corrected. SCREENSHOT
Solution: Final smash eyes has been corrected and in place. Credit to ShinF

Original Issue: A couple of Lucario's animations aren't fixed, one notable being his arm popping off. SCREENSHOT
Solution: There's a fix on his dreadlocks during his dash and run animation as well as a fix on Lucario's eyes and arm animation has been fixed. Credit to Rage83 and oNITESkye

Issues: A few Stock Icons have been misplaced in areas, looked out of place and swapped around.
Solution: A fix has been made that corrects these and fixed up. Credit to Rage83 V2 fix Credit to SmashFighter64

Original Issue: Kirby's Final Smash eyes would change to default kirby's colors. SCREENSHOT
Solution:
A quick fix on the Eyes and Materials and it's all good as new! Credit to Scout

Original Issue: Kirby's Purple face textures were different and inconsistent with the other Kirby recolors. SCREENSHOT
Solution:
I fixed the eyes and have matched it with the rest of the Kirbys.

Original Issue: Kirby Wario Hat texture was poorly textured. SCREENSHOT
Solution:
I added a texture and updated the hat!

Original Issue: Pikachu's Final Smash Eyes weren't fixed up like Kirby's.
Solution: I fixed them up!

Original Issue: Shogun Dedede's body texture was half the size than the default making the texture low quality in game. SCREENSHOT
Solution: I updated the texture and restored the original size, cleaning a couple of things as well.

Original Issue: Roy's Hair is very long to the point it covers his eyes, making it hard to take screenshots and whatnot, here's a pic of his Melee version HERE and a larger view of the change: SCREENSHOT
Solution:
Pretty much shorten the hair a bit so you can see both eyes. Credit to Taiko

Original Issue: Picture for Menu music is still 3.0's menu. SCREENSHOT
Solultion: Fixed it with 3.5's menu. Credit to NFreak

Original Issue: The Giga Bowser Textures are dated and very messy, Comparison image here. SCREENSHOT
Solution: Re-did all the textures and updated the look of the current Giga Bowser textures!

Original Issue: The Texture for ROB's Jet and Cord was pitch black/Missing SCREENSHOT
Solution: I added them back in!

Original Issue: Some of the background elements call for the incorrect palletes. This causes them to change colors and flash depending on what's going on on screen. You can see here: SCREENSHOTS
Solution: It has been fixed by exporting the .mdl0 from the original Brawl PS2 and re-importing it over the Project M version. Credit to Lakitwo

Original Issue: Sonic's highlight move out of place when Sonic does the PM Finger shake taunt. SCREENSHOT
Solution: The quickest yet effective way of doing this is to combine the highlight and the eyes.

Original Issue: Outset Toon Link never had the feet edited, so the area around where the boots would be stuck out, see comparison gifs HERE and HERE
Solution: I edited the vertexes and put it back in place.

Original Issue: VB ROB Side B doesn't include the spin trail. SCREENSHOT
Solution: This is something that can be fixed in the FitRobot pac file from my understanding of this. Credit to Draco_The

Original Issue: Because of the costume, there is no Jetpack when the Samus alts does a jump. HERE and HERE
Possible Solution: The positioning of the jets have been fixed! Credit to Draco_The

Metal Sound:

Issue: Roy and Mewtwo both speak when they have the metal effect on.
Solution: Quite simply mute them, I'm not entirely sure how this works in the sound department though so if someone can fill this in that'd be great!

Beta Knight Sword:

Issue: The Texture needs some fixing here and there.
Solution: I'll get to updating the texture when I get to working on him!

Ike Twist:

Issue: One of Ike's Arm Twist, this is an animation issue, mainly due to Ike being animated with a sleeve in mind.
Solution: Not sure if this can be fixed, would need to update the animation to work around this.

TEMP FIX SECTION:

A Tempoary fix is a fix that does fix the original issue but at the cost of something, I consider this more of an optional choice until a better solution for the said problem is shown!

Issue: The main reason the sword trail looks like that is due to the actual sword itself, the trail is for the Master Sword, aka, the default Toon Link. SCREENSHOT
Temp Solution: Giving Toon Link the Master sword back will fix this, but at the cost of ridding the default sword.

THE THOUGHTS SECTION:

Right, I'm now going to move onto the second section, which is the sorta controversial part, where I point out things I think should be changed worked on, of course I'll provide an argument to why and whatnot, people can add their own thoughts and input and if you disagree by all means, please comment, I want to see and hear everyone's thoughts on these.

Zero Suit Samus:

Thoughts: This might trigger a few people I think but I personally think that the models are really rough, in comparison to the other alts out there, can't really say much else than that, just a personal thought that these models aren't as well done compared to the rest, if someone disagree's by all means I want to hear your thoughts on it! I apologise if I come off sounding negative here.
Possible Solution: Fix up the model, around the arms and chest, and the UV mapping/texturing perhaps?

Charizard Armor Color:

Original Thoughts: The original armor is in fact red as shown in the movie, though this isn't really an issue just a personal taste thing on this side. Here's a screenshot of the two recolors.

BLUE RECOLOR: SCREENSHOT
GREEN AND RED RECOLOR: SCREENSHOT

Party Hat:

Original Thoughts: I personally thought the Purple texture for the Hat was done really poorly, you can see by clicking on the BEFORE Screenshot, I decided to clean up the texture and as well as adding in the original Blue Hat as well for those who preferred the original.

BEFORE: SCREENSHOT
AFTER: SCREENSHOT

Future Stuff:

These issues in this section are more fixes that I belive will be changed up in the future releases of PM overall, or possible ideas that can be done and whatnot.

Link's Taunt Animation:

Idea: More specifically this one, if someone could provide gif it would be much easier to explain, but the animation on this taunt has his feet mainly move back and forth, it looks out of place, that said everything else about the taunt's updated animation is fine!

Roy's Final Smash:

Idea: Roy's final smash looks really out of place and needs to be fixed up, I only noticed this because I was comparing with the Pokémon final smashes, which are done pretty well.

Alt Colors for all!

Idea: I imagine it was due to time constraints that there weren't alt colors for Zelda and Sheik, so I'm just putting this out here in case anyone does bring it up, I actually have made Zelda Melee alt colors, but also to a veriety of costumes like Retro Pit and such like:

You can get the Pit recolors and many others at the bottom of the page!

Inconsistent CSPs/BPs:

Thoughts: I notice that a lot of people say this as well but the CSPs are all over the place, Dr Mario, Roy, Mewtwo, those ones are fine but then it started going all over the place with DK Boxing and Samus and whatnot, they look nice yes, but they came off more as pieces of artwork you'd like to look when it's in full size, as a CSP it looks really out of place and inconsistent.
Optional Solutions: Again I have two solutions:
- The first is quite simply to say go download SJS's pack and he keeps a consistent set running for 3.5 http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=207091
- If that's not to your taste there was an idea I had which involved remastering the brawl CSPs, you can check the current ones out at the bottom of the page!

This would be useful in case they add more colors in the future whilst wanting to keep the same pose, one of the very little things I noticed with Zero Suit's alts, is that one of the CSP are about one pixel to the right of the other, as silly as it is to notice that, once I saw it I couldn't unsee it.

The Little Notes:

This section isn't really a big deal kind of thing, but it's stuff that you can note down for various situations, for example in my case when creating CSPs/Renders.

Snake:
- Following that up, Big Boss Snake is also slightly smaller than the default one.

DOWNLOAD SECTION:

This will be updated more on a later date, right now I'm just testing a few things and organizing a lot of stuff first.

MARIO:

DIDDY KONG:

PIKACHU:

JIGGLYPUFF:

CHARIZARD:

With Credit to Crixler for Red Armour Charizard

SQUIRTLE:

IVYSAUR:

PIT:

LINK:

MARTH:

Credit to Tailsmiles249

ROY:

KING DEDEDE:

KIRBY:

MR GAME & WATCH:

TOON LINK:

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I just wanted to vocalize my support for the Charizard recolor idea. It looks much more like the actual armor and less like OC.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I don't really think making a build that would fix those things would be a good idea. Most probably the PMDT has already started working on this. Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for helping the PMDT with this (if that's the purpose of the build), but for things like animations maybe someone here ends up making an animation very different to the one someone from the PMDT would make and stuff like that. I think this should be just a visual/audio/etc feedback thread (and thus be moved into General Discussion).

I don't know if I got my point across.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Anyway:

And Ness' up and down smashes are lacking the charging visual effect.

MagicManNo9

those Pit recolors :D
Glad you like em! Made them a while back!

I just wanted to vocalize my support for the Charizard recolor idea. It looks much more like the actual armor and less like OC.
I'll get to working on a Blue and Green one then and see how that goes!

I don't really think making a build that would fix those things would be a good idea. Most probably the PMDT has already started working on this. Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for helping the PMDT with this (if that's the purpose of the build), but for things like animations maybe someone here ends up making an animation very different to the one someone from the PMDT would make and stuff like that. I think this should be just a visual/audio/etc feedback thread (and thus be moved into General Discussion).

I don't know if I got my point across.
Oh, I understand your point, the thing is, I wouldn't have made this thread if that really was the case, I've seen it on multiple occasions where someone would point some things out but just get ignored for it, a lot of the issues that come up are more things that have been around for ages that PM don't really want to bother with, Lucario's arm is an example of that sadly, I don't want to go sounding negative towards the PMDT at all, the idea of this build is to fix up on those lingering issues that get turned a blind eye at.

I agree with the animation part the most, I'm most likely not expecting anyone to come up and re-do animations, that's why I placed it in the "future stuff" section, a section where I'm pretty sure they'll work on in the future but I felt that I should point that out on the one off chance this isn't noticed and such.

Anyway:

And Ness' up and down smashes are lacking the charging visual effect.
Oh damn that stands out quite a lot, will add to the main section in a bit, that's also an easy fix, was never aware of that...

Also Ness' up and down smash I wasn't aware off until you said, will take note of it!

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Waht about the stock icon arrangements for the MetaKnight alts?
As I last recall they were out of place and didn't go to their respective alts.I wouldn't mind fixing it up for you.

Last edited:

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Count me in for the remastered versions of the CSPs. It's actually a pretty good idea if you don't want crazy new poses and just want to keep the classic Brawl design, but with even more style and looking way better with color effects, lighting and shadows and all that good stuff.

I might get into recolors and retexturing characters later on.

MagicManNo9

Waht about the stock icon arrangements for the MetaKnight alts?
As I last recall they were out of place and didn't go to their respective alts.I wouldn't mind fixing it up for you.
Oh wow, didn't even notice that either! Added to the main section! I can quickly fix that as it's a simple switch around I imagine, I don't mind if you want to fix it though! Thanks for pointing that out!

Count me in for the remastered versions of the CSPs. It's actually a pretty good idea if you don't want crazy new poses and just want to keep the classic Brawl design, but with even more style and looking way better with color effects, lighting and shadows and all that good stuff.

I might get into recolors and retexturing characters later on.
Sweet! Thanks Luddoj! I figured the poses would be a much easier thing to work with to replicate as the pose is already there, that and as you say! Better lighting and shadows will help towards remastering them!

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
For real, if a remastered version of the CSPs and icons get done with even the alt costumes being in the same poses as the regular costumes I'd download the **** out of it.

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
For real, if a remastered version of the CSPs and icons get done with even the alt costumes being in the same poses as the regular costumes I'd download the **** out of it.
I'll be on it as soon as I can. I'll probably work on alternate poses for alternate costumes, but definetely the main idea is to make equal CSPs for each and every one of the costumes, including the alternate ones, so they can match their Brawl counter-parts.

It will definetely take a while to make but the result will be amazing in the end.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

I'll be on it as soon as I can. I'll probably work on alternate poses for alternate costumes, but definetely the main idea is to make equal CSPs for each and every one of the costumes, including the alternate ones, so they can match their Brawl counter-parts.

It will definetely take a while to make but the result will be amazing in the end.
Thanks again man! Let's do our best at making these CSPs

I gotta feeling that this is going to be a good pack. B)
Let's see what we all can do to make this the best possible experience!

MagicManNo9

A couple of little updates for things right now:

I got premission from Amazerommu a couple of days ago to add in his SFX for the alt costumes and another thing being worked on! You'll have to wait and see!

I have added the Mario CSPs/BPs on the bottom part of the main post in case anyone wants to give that a try!

I've been quite busy the last few days but here's a couple of pics of the Charizard idea that was being worked on:

Special thanks to Crixler for the red armor charizard, also special thanks to him for feedback on Charizard as well as Taiko for the idea on the color of the armour for Blue/Green Charizard.

Want to hear a couple of thoughts on something though, with Armor Charizard:
- Do people think we should keep the default and add these three in?
- Or replace the default with the red?
- OR change the skin color to a red color Charizard (Like Smash 4 red) so they don't seem similar to the default one, everyone's thoughts on this?

Taiko

Smash Ace
The red armor looks quite natural, I'd replace the default one with that.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Roy's IIIIIIIAA during down taunt starts too soon. It doesn't sync with the hand gesture. Also, the leg clips a lot with the cape.

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
Here's something I've been meaning to point out for a while. There's these odd texture inconsistencies with Red Giga Bowser.

His chest is two different colors and the area around his shoulder looks off as well. And it's hard to see in game but if you look at the model in Brawlbox, on his the area of his face where his eyes are, you can still see some of the original green texture near his muzzle.

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet
First I wanna say I love this thread, I find it very respectful to the PM devs but also addresses some of the things I think should be and dunno if they have time to get to as they have so much on their plate already.
Second, those remastered CSP's are possibly the best I've ever seen. Before you go on with them I'd really really want to emphasize how good it would be to also put out higher-res versions of the CSP for those of us who use the HD Texture Pack for PM on dolphin. Would that be possible?

Taiko

Smash Ace
Thing on red Roy:

The tips there should be the same colour.

Marth's hair-cut:

Butterfly Meta Knight's sword gem:

Not quite fixes, but things that have bugged me:

This mark on Dedede:

Where does it come from? I think it'd be better as the peace sign he always has.

Party hat:

What material is that? It looks like it's the same material as Dedede's coat fur. I think it'd be better without it, considering Melee didn't have it there either.

Olimar's hair colour:

I get that the first one references Louie, but changing the hair colour when none of the other costumes have it is a bit strange.

Virtual Boy ROB's...black hole jets:

I think there are supposed to be jets there.

Things that we can blame Brawl for:

This one is due to Ike being animated with a sleeve in mind. Not sure if it's fixable, but it'd be nice!

Here's something I've been meaning to point out for a while. There's these odd texture inconsistencies with Red Giga Bowser.

His chest is two different colors and the area around his shoulder looks off as well. And it's hard to see in game but if you look at the model in Brawlbox, on his the area of his face where his eyes are, you can still see some of the original green texture near his muzzle.
To add to this, the recolours in general look a bit too saturated for Giga Bowser.

Last edited:

Mewtoo22

Smash Rookie
I disagree with Dedede honestly, even if that dragon symbol isn't in reference to anything, I still prefer it. Olimar's hair doesn't bother me either, at least for the Louie costume.

Ike, however, is a problem I've noticed in game. If there's a way to fix that weird stretching, that'd be nice.

Juken

Smash Ace
I remember making a thread on the bug section about the Justin Bailey ZSS eyelash problem on the first day 3.5 was out. They said something along the lines of it being fixed in the next update.

I'd suggest reposting the part in the OP that are clearly bugs and not just personal opinion like with the portraits in the bugs subforum to get their attention too. Maybe keep the part about Charizard's armor being the wrong color in there though because it's kind of odd that they make his armor a costume and make it a the wrong color entirely.

Also, what is the Justin Bailey files in the "Rim" folder for Mewtwo2000's Justin Bailey fix for? Is that a Smash 3 rimlit version?

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
I disagree with Dedede honestly, even if that dragon symbol isn't in reference to anything, I still prefer it. Olimar's hair doesn't bother me either, at least for the Louie costume.
My reason being was that it makes those costumes seem less official if that's what they're going for. The dragon symbol, besides being a bit too complex for Dedede in design doesn't look fitting for Brawl. Olimar's hair is inconsistent with both his own costumes and the other characters. No other character changes their hair colour for a specific slot just to reference a character that is not themself. Dark Link is still Link, Blonde Zelda references non-Twilight Zeldas. The only one that comes to mind is Daisy Peach, but that's just one costume. It's sort of like changing eye colours for a specific slot.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
My reason being was that it makes those costumes seem less official if that's what they're going for. The dragon symbol, besides being a bit too complex for Dedede in design doesn't look fitting for Brawl. Olimar's hair is inconsistent with both his own costumes and the other characters. No other character changes their hair colour for a specific slot just to reference a character that is not themself. Dark Link is still Link, Blonde Zelda references non-Twilight Zeldas. The only one that comes to mind is Daisy Peach, but that's just one costume. It's sort of like changing eye colours for a specific slot.
What about Claus Lucas? His hair changes color to represent Claus.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
What about Claus Lucas? His hair changes color to represent Claus.
The hair on his other costumes changes colour as well if I remember correctly. Slightly, but it does change. That and Claus and Lucas have the same hair style, while Louie and Olimar do not.

I guess that also answers Daisy Peach...

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
This mark on Dedede:

Where does it come from? I think it'd be better as the peace sign he always has.
If it gets changed, I think it should reflect the game a little more. Use the sign that pops up when you draw your sword. Pic related.

Edit: So I actually went in and put that symbol on each costume and came to a conclusion. For starters, it would have to be actually drawn and not just copy/paste because the pixel art doesn't mesh well. For seconds, it would need to be recolored on the red and blue costumes. It did look fine on the green though.

Slightly off topic, but let's all start spoiling our images. It'll make navigation and loading easier.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
About the recolors, TP Link's shield gets different colors for each slot, but OoT Link doesn't. In Toon Link's case only the Dark recolor gets different colors for the shield.

RadiantThunder4

Smash Cadet
Hi there! I'm brand new to this forum, and I did plan to post something similar to this, but it was pretty much all about the menu, and I think it would fit pretty well in this thread. The menu is just Brawl's with a darker vibe to it, and I'm fine with that, but a lot of stuff should be changed. I have a list below if anyone wants to look at it! Also, when looking at my suggestions, please keep in mind that it is possible to make parts of the menu go to another spot. Just like how Subspace went to training in 3.0.

Title Screen:
  • Skip the introduction and How to Play movies, as it shows Brawl gameplay.
  • Get rid of the Now Loading… black screen, as it only flashes for a second. Or, make it have the new Project M text.
  • Make a new title screen, possibly like this. (Will post the link once I get 10 posts. Just look up Super Smash Bros. Project M - Custom Title Screen by Yami 2b until then.)

Main Menu/Other Menu Stuff:

• The top bar where it says SELECT MODE should be changed accordingly with the new Project M menu colors. This should be done for every other part of the menu as well.

• Also, if parts of the menu are removed, the dashes on the top should correspond accordingly as well.

• For ENDLESS SMASH & SPECIAL VERSUS, would it be possible to have the announcer say Smash instead of Brawl?

• Would it be possible for Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard to all get a different sound coming from the Wii Remote?

• I’m going to mention this in other parts, but there should be simpler controller and button icons.

Items/Collectibles:

• Would it be possible to make the Turbo mode item an energy drink? It would result in a 3D model for it along with the eating animation actually making sense.

• Get rid of stickers and trophies appearing in any mode, as they are all outdated.

HUD:

• Would it be possible to have a better looking and Project M themed HUD? Something cleaner for 3...2...1...GO! & Game would be really cool.

• For the HUD where the stock icons and character portraits are, would it be possible to add the new Project M main menu colors to them? Also, would it be possible to show character stock icons instead of the little circles? This would benefit ALL-STAR VERSUS greatly.

Character Select:

• Create a sleeker hand icon along with the P1, P2, P3, P4 button icons.

• Get rid of the Brawl check when selecting a character.

• Make the new Project M main menu color be in the player’s character select box.

• When there is a NONE option, make that text white with the new Project M font.
Solo:

• Make the text on the top header bigger along with changing the color to make it easier to read.

• Make sleeker difficulty icons along with sleeker bars to select amount of stocks and difficulty.

• Make the high scores/max combos sleeker and easier to read.

Stage Select:

• The BACK text here isn’t the same as the character select.

• The circle icon that chooses stages should be sleeker.

• Make the red outlines on the stages and pages icons less hard on the eyes.

• Change the READY TO FIGHT! text after choosing a stage to the new Project M font.

• The game logos for stages are sometimes wrong. The list below shows what I believe should be fixed:
    • Hyrule Castle should have The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time logo.

• Skyworld should have the new and updated Kid Icarus logo.

• Yoshi’s Story should have the Yoshi’s Story logo.

• Skyloft should have the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword logo.

• Final Destination and Battlefield should have the updated Super Smash Bros. logo that is sometimes shown with the Project M logo.

Pause Screen:

• The pause screen should display simpler button and controller icons, as well easier to read text for each button.

• The camera to take pictures is very glitchy and should be reverted to how the camera is in other Smash games. How about a button combination to activate the camera so people could still enjoy the free-roam aspect of it?

Results Screen:

• Change each character’s information border and icon to the new Project M main menu colors.

• The description boxes on the left that say KOs, falls, etc. should have a better outlined color to them.

• Change the READY FOR NEXT BATTLE! font with the new Project M font and add the Project M main menu colors to it.

Solo:

• Have the P2 ENTRY text have the new Project M main menu colors and have it stop flashing so rapidly.
Subspace Emissary:

• Make a Project M background/feel for it.

• Get rid of the sticker option.

• Change all text to the new Project M font.

• Make new difficulty icons so it looks sleeker.
Classic:

• Make a Project M background/feel for the Classic introductions.

• Skip the part where the trophy falls until the PMDT can figure out a way to get a Roy/Mewtwo trophy in.

• Skip the Character Roll Call (shooting game), as it is outdated and doesn’t show Mewtwo/Roy.

• Skip the victory cutscene, as it shows Brawl gameplay.

• For the victory picture, possibly get new pictures to replace the Brawl ones?
All-Star:

• Make a Project M background/feel for the All-Star rest area.

• Skip the part where the trophy falls until the PMDT can figure out a way to get a Roy/Mewtwo trophy in.

• Skip the Character Roll Call (shooting game), as it is outdated and doesn’t show Mewtwo/Roy.

• Skip the victory cutscene, as it shows Brawl gameplay.

• For the victory picture, possibly get new pictures to replace the Brawl ones?
Events:

• Fix up the rest of the pictures that are from Brawl and don’t fit.

• Make the text and header on the top easier to see.

• New arrow icons and check mark icons would make it look sleeker.

• Make names button sleeker.

• Make the P2 entry not flash as fast.
Stadium:

• New pictures for modes?

• Make the yellow stadium box sleeker and easier to read.

• For MULTI-MAN SMASH, possibly change the type of battle icons to something sleeker.
Training:

• New HUD for selecting items and options?

Versus:

• Replace ROTATION/TOURNEY with TURBO MODE/ALL-STAR VERSUS? I feel like these two modes are over-looked, and with putting these in a non-hidden spot, they would probably be played more.
Rules:

• Use the new Project M main menu icon colors for this part. A purple shade would have to made, but probably wouldn’t take that long.

• For ITEM SWITCH, make the ON/OFF and NONE → HIGH buttons have the new Project M main menu icon color theme.

• Change the text for item descriptions to something more readable.
Random Stage Switch:

• Use the new Project M main menu colors for the ON/OFF buttons and grayed out choices of stages.

• The picture of the stages look really out of place in that square. Possibly shorten the square to make it look better?

• Have the CUSTOM STAGES box toggle the Training Room on and off?

• I have really no idea what to do about it saying normal and melee stages on/off. How about legal and banned stages?
Special Versus:

• Make it look sleeker with a better Project M feel to it.
Names:

• Make the name creator box look a little more sleeker.

• Make the highlighted box color when selecting names cleaner.

• Change the Wii Remote icon to something simpler.

• When transferring names over, make sure the 1 & 2 button icons show up.

• Make the transfer screen look cleaner and simpler with a better Wii Console and Wii Remote icon.

Online:

• I have never played Project M online, so I couldn’t really say what needs fixing…

• But, when trying to connect, the green box should look sleeker.

Vault:

• Make all the little icons black, like all other parts of the menu.

• Get rid of TROPHIES & STICKERS, STAGE BUILDER, and CHALLENGES. Possibly replace them with MY MUSIC, NAMES, and a possible icon to return to the Project M launcher? Could it be done through stage builder?
Album:

Replays:

Masterpieces:

• Have sleeker icons for controller options.
Chronicle:

• How about having CHRONICLE be about different Project M versions? It would be great for new people to see what has been added over time to Project M.

Options:

Screen:

• Use a white colored circle in the background instead of the hard to see light purple.

• Use a different outlined box and arrow for selection of a screen size.
Deflicker:

• Use a different outlined box.

• Use the Project M main menu colors for the on/off buttons.
Rumble:

• For the controller section, use simpler icons for the controllers.

• Make the None and Controller text easier to see with different colors, possibly white.

• Use a different (or pure white) GameCube and Wii Logo, as they are hard to see.

• Use the new Project M main menu colors for the ON/OFF buttons.

• Use a different color for for the outlined box and arrow.

• For the names part, use the new main menu colors for the ON/OFF buttons.

• Use a different color for the highlighted box telling what name you are on.

• Use a different outlined box color and arrow.
Controls:

• Make the highlighted box color when selecting names cleaner.

• Change the Wii Remote icon to something simpler.

• When transferring names over, make sure the 1 & 2 button icons show up.

• Make the transfer screen look cleaner and simpler with a better Wii Console and Wii Remote icon.

• When TESTING OUT CONTROLS and you choose a control type to configure, change the arrow icons to look better along with the text above each control type.

• Make the controller and button icons simpler.

• Make the text descriptions not purple, as it is hard to read them.

• Get rid of the flowing dashes, as it looks out of place.

• Possibly change the testing room to the training stage?

• Change the purple (and when something is chosen, red) outlined box to something else when changing an action to another part of the controller.

• Red lines that correspond to each button should also be changed to look cleaner.
Sound:

• Make the music and sound effect bar better looking and easier to see

• Change the SOUND TEST icon to white and make it go to MY MUSIC.

• Use a different color for the outlined box and arrow.
My Music:

• Get rid of the top bar, since other things are going to link to it.

• Make it look just like STAGE SELECT.

• When choosing how much you want a song to play, make the bar look better with different colors.

• Make the outline box and arrow easier to see with cleaner LESS LIKELY to MORE LIKELY text.

• Rest has been explained in the STAGE SELECT part.

Data:

• Make all icons have the new Project M main menu colors.
Movies:

• Have MOVIES go straight to The Subspace Emissary cutscenes.

• Use something different for the movie reel icon and tape, as they are very hard to see.

• Clean up the box where you can choose the different movies.

• Make it look sleeker with a different outlined box and arrow to scroll.
Records:

• For RECORDS, make it go straight to SMASH RECORDS.

• Clean up the boxes and arrow icon.

• Clean up the 123 icon or remove it.

• Remove the records of:
    • Available Characters

• Available Stages

• Trophy Total

• Sticker Total

• Favorite Character

• Second Favorite Character

• Loneliest Character

• Sash Champ

• Smash Sap

• Slug Meister

• Punching Bag

• KO Kingpin

• No-Defense Nelly

• Disaster Master
Sound Test:

• Make SOUND TEST go to MY MUSIC instead. SOUND TEST is very unorganized, and is probably impossible to re-organize, so it going to MY MUSIC would be better.

BUGS:

• For Toon Link’s Outset look, it seems the icons don’t change to show what color you are using.

• For Falco’s classic look, the blue vest icon looks green. Is this just me?

• For Ness’s pajamas, his regular blue pajamas icon doesn’t have a collar.

Last edited:

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
Get rid of stickers and trophies appearing in any mode, as they are all outdated.
There's a code for disabling stickers in matches here.
http://smashboards.com/threads/need-some-codes.344964/#post-16190025

And this is a very minor thing that can be easily fixed by just downloading some BRSTMs, but the Fountain of Dreams stage only has one music track replaced for it. The rest of the music that was used for Mario Bros. is still there and can still appear on the new stage which doesn't really fit. Same goes for the Metal Mario stage.

Brawl's Green Greens Melee track (W07) was also needlessly replaced when that same music track is also what replaces the Fountain of Dreams track (W06). If you were to just have the N64 Dreamland music replace W06 and keep W07 as is, it would save a couple MBs of space.

RadiantThunder4

Smash Cadet

And this is a very minor thing that can be easily fixed by just downloading some BRSTMs, but the Fountain of Dreams stage only has one music track replaced for it. The rest of the music that was used for Mario Bros. is still there and can still appear on the new stage which doesn't really fit. Same goes for the Metal Mario stage.

Brawl's Green Greens Melee track (W07) was also needlessly replaced when that same music track is also what replaces the Fountain of Dreams track (W06). If you were to just have the N64 Dreamland music replace W06 and keep W07 as is, it would save a couple MBs of space.
Thank you for telling me about that! Hopefully the PMDT looks at some of these ideas for the next build.

Juken

Smash Ace
Speaking of the stock icons in the OP, I had the idea of replacing them with the little circle icons that are used for stocks in-game. Does anybody know where in the common5 those are located? I'll post a file that replaced all of the stocks with that icon if you tell me.

Wanna do this since I use abunch of custom skins and having one generic stock icon like in-game would be easier and less of a nuisance to work with than having unique icons for everybody. Would probably be a good idea if the PMDT did this for their official release of PM too since classic mode is really the only thing that makes use of those head icons (the results screen seems to use a different set or something because it doesn't change if I edit the one in the common5).

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
In the Pokemon games, a Shiny Lucario has red eyes like a default one. For some reason, whoever made the Shiny Lucario texture for PM decided to give him blue eyes instead. Just for the sake of being accurate to the game counterpart, I went ahead and put together a quick fix for this. All I did was take the eye texture from the default Lucario and put it on the Shiny texture.

https://www.mediafire.com/?dwegfirn7wb66pj

RadiantThunder4

Smash Cadet
Updated my post above with ideas for the pause screen.

In the Pokemon games, a Shiny Lucario has red eyes like a default one. For some reason, whoever made the Shiny Lucario texture for PM decided to give him blue eyes instead. Just for the sake of being accurate to the game counterpart, I went ahead and put together a quick fix for this. All I did was take the eye texture from the default Lucario and put it on the Shiny texture.
That is a great idea. Thanks for doing that!

MagicManNo9

Roy's IIIIIIIAA during down taunt starts too soon. It doesn't sync with the hand gesture. Also, the leg clips a lot with the cape.
I'll add this to the list when I get back from Work tomorrow! It more of a changing the timing of the sound in that case! As for the clipping, I wonder if it's possible to actually fix that, probably needs a costume update in that regards.

I've seen this get passed around quite often and usually ignored, and wow that's all over the place, it also looks really out of place as well, I'll give a shot on that when I can and will fix it all up, expect pics in a couple of days when I work on that!

First I wanna say I love this thread, I find it very respectful to the PM devs but also addresses some of the things I think should be and dunno if they have time to get to as they have so much on their plate already.
Second, those remastered CSP's are possibly the best I've ever seen. Before you go on with them I'd really really want to emphasize how good it would be to also put out higher-res versions of the CSP for those of us who use the HD Texture Pack for PM on dolphin. Would that be possible?
Thing on red Roy:

The tips there should be the same colour.

Marth's hair-cut:

Butterfly Meta Knight's sword gem:

Not quite fixes, but things that have bugged me:

This mark on Dedede:

Party hat:

What material is that? It looks like it's the same material as Dedede's coat fur. I think it'd be better without it, considering Melee didn't have it there either.

Olimar's hair colour:

I get that the first one references Louie, but changing the hair colour when none of the other costumes have it is a bit strange.

Virtual Boy ROB's...black hole jets:

I think there are supposed to be jets there.

Things that we can blame Brawl for:

This one is due to Ike being animated with a sleeve in mind. Not sure if it's fixable, but it'd be nice!

To add to this, the recolours in general look a bit too saturated for Giga Bowser.
all of this, ALL OF THIS I MISSED OUT ON, I'll be working on fixing the cape, MetaKnights sword gem, that Mark on King Dedede, that thing as well on Ike's Cape and will see what everyone can agree on the Olimar hair (I agree though), I shall also work on whatever is going on down at ROBs bottom and fix up Giga Bowsers costumes tomorrow when I get back!

Ike, however, is a problem I've noticed in game. If there's a way to fix that weird stretching, that'd be nice.
I think that's the main issue, it's because it doesn't reference anything it feels out of place for what being aimed at as a whole.

About the recolors, TP Link's shield gets different colors for each slot, but OoT Link doesn't. In Toon Link's case only the Dark recolor gets different colors for the shield.
I belive OoT Link is more based on the Melee version of Link so that's probably why the Shield for him doesn't change color, as for the Dark Toon Link colors, it's more of a thing on Brawl's end so I don't really need want to touch that, with that said I belive it's to give off the right image for Dark Toon Link I imagine?

Hi there! I'm brand new to this forum, and I did plan to post something similar to this, but it was pretty much all about the menu, and I think it would fit pretty well in this thread. The menu is just Brawl's with a darker vibe to it, and I'm fine with that, but a lot of stuff should be changed. I have a list below if anyone wants to look at it! Also, when looking at my suggestions, please keep in mind that it is possible to make parts of the menu go to another spot. Just like how Subspace went to training in 3.0.
Hey there! Firstly welcome to the forum! Secondly I want to apologise since it's really late for me over here and I need to get up early for work so I'll read through the stuff you wrote when I get back and address them all and give feedback if that's okay? In any case I'll be sure to read this when I get back!

http://smashboards.com/threads/need-some-codes.344964/#post-16190025

Agreed, Music stuff I'll need to check through everyone and see their thoughts on that!

Speaking of the stock icons in the OP, I had the idea of replacing them with the little circle icons that are used for stocks in-game. Does anybody know where in the common5 those are located? I'll post a file that replaced all of the stocks with that icon if you tell me.

Wanna do this since I use abunch of custom skins and having one generic stock icon like in-game would be easier and less of a nuisance to work with than having unique icons for everybody. Would probably be a good idea if the PMDT did this for their official release of PM too since classic mode is really the only thing that makes use of those head icons (the results screen seems to use a different set or something because it doesn't change if I edit the one in the common5).
Seconding this to anyone who knows this! I've been meaning to try and find out where the Icons for the results screen are confusing to deal with! Also thanking you in advance Juken if you do! And if anyone finds out thanking them in advance!

https://www.mediafire.com/?dwegfirn7wb66pj
Ohhh wow, glad I'm not the only one who noticed that! Thanks for this! I'll update the front page when I get back from work tomorrow!

I remember making a thread on the bug section about the Justin Bailey ZSS eyelash problem on the first day 3.5 was out. They said something along the lines of it being fixed in the next update.

I'd suggest reposting the part in the OP that are clearly bugs and not just personal opinion like with the portraits in the bugs subforum to get their attention too. Maybe keep the part about Charizard's armor being the wrong color in there though because it's kind of odd that they make his armor a costume and make it a the wrong color entirely.

Also, what is the Justin Bailey files in the "Rim" folder for Mewtwo2000's Justin Bailey fix for? Is that a Smash 3 rimlit version?
Glad to hear you made that thread! And it's a good thing they noticed as well! Luckily Mewtwo2000 did that fix because something like that would want to be updated asap if possible.

Also a good idea! I wanted to do that but was unsure if people would find that an issue or whatnot, I'll update the page and move things around, specially with so many things that need to working/fixes I have to keep the thread updated, and agreed that Charizard's color fix should be out tomorrow I can promise!

Also to everyone here's a quick Jigglypuff CSP update with what time I had tonight:

Anyway sleep time, catch up with everyone tomorrow!

RadiantThunder4

Smash Cadet
Hey there! Firstly welcome to the forum! Secondly I want to apologise since it's really late for me over here and I need to get up early for work so I'll read through the stuff you wrote when I get back and address them all and give feedback if that's okay? In any case I'll be sure to read this when I get back!
Thank you for the warm welcome! I've always wanted to join Smashboards, but never got around to it until this thread came along, so thank you for making this great thread! No need to apologize, I totally understand. Whenever you get a chance to read over my huge list is totally fine. It would be wonderful to get some feedback, so thank you in advance for that!

I believe the stock icons are actually in the result screen itself, but are in other places for other modes. Not 100% sure on that though.

Those new CSPs are wonderful by the way! They look extremely good! Keep up the great work!

For music, I would extremely like for Harmony of Heroes to be the official soundtrack for PM. Sure, some stages would have to be flipped around if there isn't enough music slots for a stage, but having Harmony of Heroes play in PM would be sweet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom