• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Oceanic Skype Netplay Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

baileeh

Smash Rookie
Project M Oceanic Skype Netplay Community

An Introduction:

Hello, ladies and gents! For those who don't know what this mod is, Project M is designed and developed by Smash community volunteers who've had much experience in the competitive world of Smash, most heralding from Melee or Brawl. The developers themselves give an accurate description of the mod: "Project M is a modification of Brawl inspired by Super Smash Bros. Melee's gameplay designed to add rich, technical gameplay to a balanced cast of characters while additionally enhancing the speed of play".

The PM community is booming after years of development and is now being featured at tournaments such as Apex alongside Melee and Brawl, whilst having already overtaken Brawl's turnout numbers. Once taking up the e-sport of SSBPM you may realise there is a distinct lack of meeting spaces, especially for Aussies and Kiwis. This problem has now been solved with the advent of the most active, friendly, and fastest-growing assemblage of Oceanic PM players ever to hit the scene.

I think I can speak for the 40+ players who've recently joined the Oceanic PM Skype Community group in the last few weeks that we're all looking to grow our active player-base even further in order to facilitate an even stronger, more tight-knit community revolved around competitive and for-fun PM. Most of us (including offline tourney-goers) really just want to git gud.

Linked is a match between a two active Australian players, from Melbourne and Sydney - so we hope this demonstrates how well dolphin and PM run online with netplay whilst also being recorded at the maximum Frames Per Second (60) and resolution. Sadly, Youtube has down-scaled it to 30FPS. Savvas(Marth) VS Mask1n(Jigglypuff) - SSBPM

1 - Getting started:

Follow the following guide to the letter for best performance:

Start playing online netplay ASAP in a few easy steps:

Netplay Guide (lag depends on your rig and connection of course, anything but intensive).

[REMEMBER: Port-forwarding or changing your systems network/security settings will not be necessary. This is because the Peer To Peer system on Dolphin is magic, 'nuff said. Players can also join as spectators without sending their inputs - making spectating completely lag-free, along with normal 1v1 gameplay (excluding usual delay that depends on physical differential distance).

2 - How to join the community:

Click to join, then click launch application, this will open up skype and join the group!(may not work for everyone)

Or you can add or message one of our active, friendly administrators listed below:

baileeh
lex.hon
snes101
papzydd
dreadtech89
starseeker358

3 - Current Events:

We are currently running the first Oceanic PM netplay tournament! We will be having more tournaments afterwards as regularly as humanly possible. A leader-board and power-ranking system will be implemented following the conclusion of the tourney. This will serve an important purpose of providing a way for players to locate opponents of similar skill level (and/or of close geographical location and therefore delay) to ultimately improve your game as efficiently and effectively as possible.

Tournament Bracket (Round 1 Complete)

4 - Useful Websites:

The Official Website of Project M and the developers

Project M Wiki

Secondary outdated setup guide - only the version of Dolphin needs to be replaced

Latest Version of Dolphin

Reddit Project M discussion Sub Reddit

5 - Community-made GIFs:

HYPE

Credit to the community at large for their extensive contributions.

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
In b4 drama gets the thread locked.
At least this thread has a sweet op. Makes me actually consider trying P:M when my adapter arrives

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Joined this group a week before BAM6.

At this point in time it's very easy to find games at any level of proficiency. it's not impossible to sit down and play smash for most of the day if you feel like it (assuming that your internet connection holds well on both ends).

At least half of the users participate in chat and play everyday, and we want to grow that into a bigger more helpful community.

Things like power ranking tournaments and having skilled players ensures that a lot of people in the chat are working to better their mechanics while discussions stay active with all things smash (or even to just shoot the **** if wanted).

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
The sheer activity of this group is phenomenal; I can post a message asking for a game and someone will answer with haste. I've gained so much skill playing on netplay.

Also, the community in itself is very nice. We're all good friends and can have a laugh at various jokes we make as buddies which is always fantastic. We've got a tournament occurring at the moment too which is really hype. Always looking forward to meeting new players. :)

Savvas

Smash Rookie
So I got into Project M via dolphin about a 2 months ago. It was great, and after i found out about netplay i needed in on it.

My first experience on netplay was good, i was part of the steam netplay group. While it was good to have a community there, it wasn't very active. Then i found out about the Skype group. And honestly, it has become my afternoon ritual. Starseeker was one of the players i found at my skill level and we have proceeded to improve together very quickly. We met up at Revival of Sydney and it was like we had already met each other.

I have nothing but praise for the group and how well netplay works. I've got a few videos and if only my upload speed was good enough id upload the 50 something matches I've recorded. (Keep in mind most of these are from when i first started playing)

All in all. Netplay is amazing. The Skype group is awesome. Will definitely be a more vocal part of the community from now on.

Kronos_The_Beast

Smash Cadet
Honestly I think netplay has a pretty good advantage over offline play in that you can play all different types of players pretty damn frequently, whereas offline you might have to wait a week for a meetup to get some practise. Love the post, great work baileeh!

Hawki

Smash Cadet
offline has an advantage in that it's always super hype having 40+ people in one room on old school TV's playing smash from dawn till dusk while making new friends in the process. Also I've heard that your controller inputs are more sensitive on netplay, meaning the whole cast can potentially move faster than offline play, is this true?

baileeh

Smash Rookie
offline has an advantage in that it's always super hype having 40+ people in one room on old school TV's playing smash from dawn till dusk while making new friends in the process. Also I've heard that your controller inputs are more sensitive on netplay, meaning the whole cast can potentially move faster than offline play, is this true?
I think both offline and online have their own place. Offline is great if you have the time or money to get to a meet up, the communication between players is alot better offline, and its probably more fun. Online play though is great if you want to just sit down and play for 30 mins at night, since you dont have to travel anywhere, and it only takes a few minutes to find a game, if not less.
Also I'm not quite sure if the inputs are more sensitive, I cant really tell the difference between online and offline PM.

buns 99

Smash Rookie
The Australian PM skype group is a fantastic and accepting community. My cousin (savvas) regulars the group and people still play with him even though he has no arms or legs. I have also personally learned a lot from some of the stronger players in the group. (Star and Kronos). Im fairly new to PM and whenever I got a question these dudes help me out. Lag isn't usually an issue either as I play people across states everyday and rarely experience netplay lag. Join our group if you wanna be cool.

Tiz

Smash Rookie
Best group of people to play smash with varying degrees of skill. If you have smash P:M set up, join this group!

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Star and sav definitely went that I know for 100% one other person went who described himself as "the asain marth" so Im not so sure who he is in chat. I was going to go but had a suprise assignment due at the last minute.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
how many of you made it out to RoS a few weeks back?
Yo Hawki. How you doing? I went, as you know since you saw me there :p. Also I know Sav and Ronn from the group went as well. The majority of players in the group, however, are from Melbourne so you probably haven't seen them before.

Chappos

Smash Apprentice
So I just set this up, I've tried joining the Skype group but it just says "Waiting to join." Have I done something wrong or is the group simply offline? I'm not familiar with Skype.

baileeh

Smash Rookie
So I just set this up, I've tried joining the Skype group but it just says "Waiting to join." Have I done something wrong or is the group simply offline? I'm not familiar with Skype.
[5:30:00 PM] *** Chappos joined. ***
Im assuming that was you haha. Sometimes it takes a while for the group to show up on your skype, which is something that we have no control over. If your not in by now you should be in soon.

Savvas

Smash Rookie
Star and sav definitely went that I know for 100% one other person went who described himself as "the asain marth" so Im not so sure who he is in chat. I was going to go but had a suprise assignment due at the last minute.
The unknown you are refering to is Zavier in the skype group his name is "Zavier *something or other*"

Kronos_The_Beast

Smash Cadet
Wow Kronos that's really awesome! When i joined i could've sworn that there was less than 30.
Yeah, it really has become the place to meet for PM (even Melee) netplay in Aus.

The unknown you are refering to is Zavier in the skype group his name is "Zavier *something or other*"
I should report you for spam! xD

Last edited:

baileeh

Smash Rookie
All good for Nzers to join? I played a mate in melbourne, was a little laggy, but playable.
does skype mess with latency much?
Everyones allowed to join, even if you find the games too laggy to play you can still stick around and discuss Project M with everyone. I haven't noticed or had anyone complain about skype causing any lagg, but if you think thats the case then it might be too laggy for you anyway.
Try get some more NZ players in so you can get some really good connection games!

Narpas_sword

yea, nz smashers have a facebook group. trying to get netplay up and running, but most seem to want to stick with melee at the moment.

ill set up skype and see how it goes.

// ive installed skype, how do i go about getting into the group? (the link in OP opens the win8 version of skype, **** that lol)

Last edited:

baileeh

Smash Rookie
yea, nz smashers have a facebook group. trying to get netplay up and running, but most seem to want to stick with melee at the moment.

ill set up skype and see how it goes.

// ive installed skype, how do i go about getting into the group? (the link in OP opens the win8 version of skype, **** that lol)
You can add me on skype, my username is baileeh. Make sure you say something about the PM group in the add. If your not sure on how to do that just reply to me here with your skype name and ill send you a friend request and then when you accept I can invite you in.

Narpas_sword

You can add me on skype, my username is baileeh. Make sure you say something about the PM group in the add. If your not sure on how to do that just reply to me here with your skype name and ill send you a friend request and then when you accept I can invite you in.
'baileeh' brings up a few results, ill get you to add me if thats ok.
I signed into skype with my facebook account, so it seems my username is 'facebook:dtbell.86'

baileeh

Smash Rookie
'baileeh' brings up a few results, ill get you to add me if thats ok.
I signed into skype with my facebook account, so it seems my username is 'facebook:dtbell.86'
Hey, ive added you into the group but it may take anywhere from 5 mins to an hour for it to show up. Dont worry to much though because its not really a great time of day in the chat at the moment, but in a few hours it should be busy.

Kronos_The_Beast

Smash Cadet
Our game, who art competitive,
Hallowed be thy mechanics.
Your hitstun come,
Your combos be done,
In PM as it is in Melee.
Give us this day our daily Fox,
And punish our tech errors,
As we punish those who shield against us,
And lead us not into camping,
But deliver us from Brawl,
For thine is the wavedash, the l-cancel, and the tech skill forever.
Amen.

ronnieboy

Smash Rookie
Honestly, the best thing i did was find this thread and join the skype group. I am on almost every day, getting decent matches (when internet allows). We need more people for different match ups.

Ronn 'Bizzy Bane'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom