• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Blogpost #5: Debug Mode Pt. 2 feat. Ledgegrabs and More

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Today's Project M Dev Team blogpost features more information on Debug Mode, including a couple brand new ideas not present in Melee's Debug Mode. PM's Debug Mode will feature Ledgegrab boxes, Stage Collision Detection and Hitstun Display. While it is a technical article overall, in layman's terms there will be displays for when characters can and cannot grab the ledge, as demonstrated by Captain Falcon here.

Captain Falcon's ledgegrab range is displayed by the green box
Players will also be able to see where character's collision points are, as outlined by four small dots on a character's body.

These dots represent where characters collide with the stage, and each other in some cases.
The last feature, Histun Display, is a brand new feature to Smash Bros. debug modes, and as such requires a little more explanation:

When your character is hit, he or she suffers hitstun and is unable to act, allowing things like combos and tech-chases. With Debug Mode active, a character suffering from hitstun will have a colored overlay. For non-tumble hitstun (hitstun in which the character isn't knocked over and forced into a knockdown, often occurs at low percents), the character receives a yellow overlay. For tumble hitstun, the character receives an orange overlay.

Additionally, on the last frame of hitstun the overlay opacity drops by 50%. This makes it easier to measure combo frame advantage windows using Frame Advance.

This post includes a lot of information, so if Debug Mode is of interest to you it is highly recommended that you read the full blogpost here. Do you find Debug Mode exciting? Will you use the new hitstun feature? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit needs dinner. Tell him what to eat on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Genius. Now I can finally get a better feel for Roy's bizarrely small window of combo-ability. Also I'll be able to view that broken ledgegrab range of his. Pls don't nerf it ;)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Debug Mode is amazing. I just keep loving it more and more and MORE. I'm gonna use it to master my main, Mewtwo, and annihilate my amateur little brother in a match. Can't wait to use this in game. It looks extremely professional, polished, and overall really, really cool. Get HYPE!!!!!!

TheLegendaryKRB

Smash Apprentice
Study, know your character and know your stage. Know and study other attacks and how you can counter it.

In other words, know your character inside and out.
Be one with your character... breath in... breath out...

TreK

Is "that guy"
If you announce custom AIs that spam projectiles, shield or things like that I think I'm going to collapse out of hype overdose.

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
I think we're going to see a huge spike in PM talent after the release of 3.5. This is great stuff.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
YES MOAR. This is so cool, agggggggh when is 3.5 releasing :O

now all we need is the debug tool that lets you clip through walls and floors

MikeAlex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mike_Bosch
Sorry for bumping. Anyway, have you guys set up a wii remote enabling option? I use Project M on my Wii U and the Wii U doesn't have a gamecube port. So please make the debug menu with the wii remote a thing

Top Bottom