• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

fizzleDX

Smash Cadet
NNID
fizzleDX
3DS FC
4141-4080-3072
Me and my friend used the same Brawl iso, but he got the correct MD5 checksum and I didn't. Is there any other factors that could affect it? I followed the steps 100% so I have no idea

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Sorry but you guys say that.

Ensure your MD5 Checksum is1684e833163d994c8734a22a39e1429c and that your GAME ID is RSBEN1. If so, you are good to go! If not, you used an incorrect Brawl iso or your Project M iso is corrupt.
But show the following image showing a different MD5 Checksum:

So my question is, which is the correct MD5 Checksum

Y-L

Smash Champion
Sorry but you guys say that.

But show the following image showing a different MD5 Checksum:

So my question is, which is the correct MD5 Checksum
The one I posted, not the one in the picture. I'll update that.

matex

Smash Rookie
Got mine working and was going over the soundtracks, noticed that i cannot adjust some appearance scales (it always resets, moves like 1inch before it stops me).
Does that happen so everyone has the same values or something?

exDarkFlow

Smash Rookie
hey me and my friend have the correct MD5 checksum and the same dolphin settings on 4.0-6554, but whenever we try to connect, it just says 'Failed to connect' what could the problem possibly be?

TheBoyRoy

Smash Rookie
I have tried over and over again to get Dolphin to start but to no avail. It starts as soon as I attempt to start it and does not even allow me to choose a game. I have installed Direct X runtime and Visual C++ redistributible. What am I missing? Here is the exact error it gives me "Dolphin.exe has stopped working" nothing more.

djl220

Smash Rookie
Me and one of my friends are trying to play these are the settings we both have : http://imgur.com/a/QwyNS In singleplayer, we both get 60fps smooth but once we connect, we cap out at 40 fps and after about 20 seconds, without fail, we desync. We've checked our checksums and both of them are the same as the one in the OP. Our ping is ~32 and I have the buffer set to 2 and have tried both direct and transversal, both to no avail. If anyone has any ideas what could be causing the desyncs, please fire away.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Me and one of my friends are trying to play these are the settings we both have : http://imgur.com/a/QwyNS In singleplayer, we both get 60fps smooth but once we connect, we cap out at 40 fps and after about 20 seconds, without fail, we desync. We've checked our checksums and both of them are the same as the one in the OP. Our ping is ~32 and I have the buffer set to 2 and have tried both direct and transversal, both to no avail. If anyone has any ideas what could be causing the desyncs, please fire away.
Make sure wiimotes are off. That's one most ppl miss. The lag doesn't have to do with the desyncs. Turn the buffer to 100. If it still lags at 100 buffer, then its a hardware issue. If not, then you're ping spiking probably.

Last edited:

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
So I just got the 3.6 ISO and I'm trying to play on netplay with direct connect using the nintendo adapter.
If I launch the game normally and locally, I can use the GC controller without needing to set anything up, however if I host or join a game my controller simply does not work.

If it helps I didn't have this problem on 3.5, what could be causing this?

Y-L

Smash Champion
So I just got the 3.6 ISO and I'm trying to play on netplay with direct connect using the nintendo adapter.
If I launch the game normally and locally, I can use the GC controller without needing to set anything up, however if I host or join a game my controller simply does not work.

If it helps I didn't have this problem on 3.5, what could be causing this?
Can you try setting only one controller to be enabled in the controller settings?

MrPWNGER

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrPWNGER
As easy as this is, am I the only one very frustrated that custom music as been added? You didn't mention anywhere that custom music was being added. I can understand if this was a stream build to hide Nintendo's music, but it's not. In fact, I've heard custom music can cause desyncs. Plus, you can't remove it after creating the iso, you have to create a completely new one. What was the point in the first place?

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Custom music only causes desyncs if both players have something different. Since both players should be running the exact same netplay build, it'll be fine. In fact, if you try to make your own iso without it, that will desync.

It's there to have something fresh and new for people tired of the same old Brawl tracks we've listened to a zillion times by now.

MrPWNGER

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrPWNGER
Custom music only causes desyncs if both players have something different. Since both players should be running the exact same netplay build, it'll be fine. In fact, if you try to make your own iso without it, that will desync.

It's there to have something fresh and new for people tired of the same old Brawl tracks we've listened to a zillion times by now.
Could they have at least kept the old music for the console build? I liked it, plus it actually is in context of smash bros, some of the songs, especially on the stage Final Destination have nothing to do with smash. If I want to the old music back (for the console build), can I just replace the brstm files with the original ones? Or not?

MrPWNGER

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrPWNGER
Ok I tried it but now all the song titles are still different, and some of the music is messed up. Looks like I just stick the Wii U version, which at the cost of having to use a classic controller, is at least customizable. I understand that the netplay version somewhat needs these changes, but the console version shouldn't, right?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Ok I tried it but now all the song titles are still different, and some of the music is messed up. Looks like I just stick the Wii U version, which at the cost of having to use a classic controller, is at least customizable. I understand that the netplay version somewhat needs these changes, but the console version shouldn't, right?
Just replace the projectm folder and the rsbe01.gct with the vanilla one from PMs website then run the console builder.

Anyone know why im getting this message? http://imgur.com/0XHWOqO
Did you get the correct md5?

BlackxSwan

Smash Rookie
I've done everything right but I get a big "Press B" when starting the game and when I press any button, noyhing happens. What do I have to do?

Edit: It was my controller :p

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
@ Y-L Y-L

So I am getting the wrong Md5 (Im using the winmd5free v1.20 from the 3.02 builder, could that be it?). I checked my brawl iso and it has the correct md5 (for brawl v 1.2, could that be it?). I put it through the iso builder and it comes out with an md5 of "85e51f9996cbc2a10dc8d4c62de4c1d2". I don't know why since I have tried multiple times getting a good dump from my wii using cleanrip. The md5 it gave me, as well as when I just checked on my computer is both are the same and correct.

Y-L

Smash Champion
@ Y-L Y-L

So I am getting the wrong Md5 (Im using the winmd5free v1.20 from the 3.02 builder, could that be it?). I checked my brawl iso and it has the correct md5 (for brawl v 1.2, could that be it?). I put it through the iso builder and it comes out with an md5 of "85e51f9996cbc2a10dc8d4c62de4c1d2". I don't know why since I have tried multiple times getting a good dump from my wii using cleanrip. The md5 it gave me, as well as when I just checked on my computer is both are the same and correct.
are you sure you're using the 3.6 iso builder for netplay? the brawl iso is the only way you can get the wrong value if that is true. doesnt matter which md5 checker you use.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
@ Y-L Y-L
I am definitely using the 3.6 builder for netplay as I can use that iso in dolphin and it says its for netplay and its definitely 3.6. I am running the bat again and seeing if it works. What is the size of Brawl supposed to be? I have one last idea. One thing I thought was weird was when I got the game off the flash drive from clean rip, it had 2 other files besides the iso. It had a .gct file and a .brsar file and the iso was 7.92 gb. Could any of that help? If none of it does, I hope this try of another build plus also triple checking the md5 for brawl might provide some insight.

Thorsson

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, running into a pretty major issue with the most recent Netplay build.

I had 3.02 and 3.5, both of which worked great, and I used this guide to get them on my computer.
Unfortunately, now that I uninstalled the Dolphin I was using then (I don't remember the exact iteration- 5597, maybe?) and replaced it with 6554, none of the games in my Dolphin library work.
It seems like I'm the only one who has such a significant problem with this, so does anyone know of something I could be messing up? I've completely removed Dolphin and redownloaded multiple times already, and while most other versions work, 6554 always seems to have this problem for me.

Specifically, when I try to load Project M, it comes up with alternating "Failed to compile vertex shader" and "Failed to compile pixel shader" error messages 20-someodd times, then plays the start up sounds, then nothing. I can post the contents of one of the bad_ps_[number] or bad_vs_[number] text files if they might help. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this in general.

One other thing that could be relevant: When I extract the Dolphin files from this download, if I try to extract to either Program Files or Program Files (x86), the extractor says that it cannot open a bunch of output files that correspond to the contents it's trying to extract. Then, although the extractor says the files are in those folders, they're impossible to access via Windows Explorer. So I had to extract to a location in My Documents instead (though that's not the only one I've tried).

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey guys, running into a pretty major issue with the most recent Netplay build.

I had 3.02 and 3.5, both of which worked great, and I used this guide to get them on my computer.
Unfortunately, now that I uninstalled the Dolphin I was using then (I don't remember the exact iteration- 5597, maybe?) and replaced it with 6554, none of the games in my Dolphin library work.
It seems like I'm the only one who has such a significant problem with this, so does anyone know of something I could be messing up? I've completely removed Dolphin and redownloaded multiple times already, and while most other versions work, 6554 always seems to have this problem for me.

Specifically, when I try to load Project M, it comes up with alternating "Failed to compile vertex shader" and "Failed to compile pixel shader" error messages 20-someodd times, then plays the start up sounds, then nothing. I can post the contents of one of the bad_ps_[number] or bad_vs_[number] text files if they might help. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this in general.

One other thing that could be relevant: When I extract the Dolphin files from this download, if I try to extract to either Program Files or Program Files (x86), the extractor says that it cannot open a bunch of output files that correspond to the contents it's trying to extract. Then, although the extractor says the files are in those folders, they're impossible to access via Windows Explorer. So I had to extract to a location in My Documents instead (though that's not the only one I've tried).
It doesn't matter where Dolphin's files are. Try updating your graphics driver and if that doesn't work switching graphics backends in Dolphin.

@ Y-L Y-L
I am definitely using the 3.6 builder for netplay as I can use that iso in dolphin and it says its for netplay and its definitely 3.6. I am running the bat again and seeing if it works. What is the size of Brawl supposed to be? I have one last idea. One thing I thought was weird was when I got the game off the flash drive from clean rip, it had 2 other files besides the iso. It had a .gct file and a .brsar file and the iso was 7.92 gb. Could any of that help? If none of it does, I hope this try of another build plus also triple checking the md5 for brawl might provide some insight.
Well if you are in fact using the 3.6 builder the only explanation is the Brawl iso..

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Later today I will redownload the ISO builder and make sure nothing weird is happening (like the wrong brawl iso somehow finding its way in the folder). Just to be clear, could you check your brawl md5 or verify that it should be this: "52ce7160ced2505ad5e397477d0ea4fe". The website I looked at said that was Brawl NTSC 1.2. Maybe I need a different version? Anyways, I will post later with any findings, hopefully this is the last time I need to try.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Sorry for the double post, but I don't know if it will tag anyone/let @ Y-L Y-L know there has been a new reply. So as I am running this last try with the netplay iso builder (of which I redownloaded). I noticed/remembered one last thing that it could be. During the build, it says "0 [main] wit 7144 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this problem to the public maining list cygwin@cygwin (dot) com". I think it says it twice. The second time it says it is right after is says its rebuiliding the stuff as iso. Could that be it? Build just finished and I have the same incorrect md5

Last edited:

Thorsson

Smash Rookie
It doesn't matter where Dolphin's files are. Try updating your graphics driver and if that doesn't work switching graphics backends in Dolphin.
Well switching the backend to Direct3D made it so that it plays (and thank god for that, you're the best Y-L), but there are some weird graphical issues now. It's kinda cool, to be honest- I can see all of the hitboxes of Samus' fair in Melee as big gray blocks- but I'm worried it could cause desyncs.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post, but I don't know if it will tag anyone/let @ Y-L Y-L know there has been a new reply. So as I am running this last try with the netplay iso builder (of which I redownloaded). I noticed/remembered one last thing that it could be. During the build, it says "0 [main] wit 7144 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this problem to the public maining list cygwin@cygwin (dot) com". I think it says it twice. The second time it says it is right after is says its rebuiliding the stuff as iso. Could that be it? Build just finished and I have the same incorrect md5
That error is normal and harmless. You should try a different ISO.

Well switching the backend to Direct3D made it so that it plays (and thank god for that, you're the best Y-L), but there are some weird graphical issues now. It's kinda cool, to be honest- I can see all of the hitboxes of Samus' fair in Melee as big gray blocks- but I'm worried it could cause desyncs.
Generally means you need to update graphics driver.

Thorsson

Smash Rookie
Generally means you need to update graphics driver.
Unfortunately that advice is a no-go. This is a Dell laptop, which means its graphics drivers haven't seen updates in years. Not to mention that this issue only came up with this iteration of Dolphin- I think the specificity of the problem is really what's driving me bonkers.

Top Bottom