• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Chris Le

Smash Rookie
It used to be in my program files area, but I moved it to the desktop and it was a clean installation, thank you.

rd6

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've done all the parts, and it works fine the first time I run it. However, when I exit out of the game and open it up again, I get this problem where it says dolphin.exe has stopped working and windows is trying to find a solution. It doesn't find a solution and it exits out of the emulator. My .iso's are correct from what I've checked, and my settings are all the same too. Brawl doesn't have this problem unless I run PM before. I can consecutively execute Brawl. Only way I can fix it is to reinstall dolphin and delete its files in my documents folder every time. As you can probably assume, this is annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I've done all the parts, and it works fine the first time I run it. However, when I exit out of the game and open it up again, I get this problem where it says dolphin.exe has stopped working and windows is trying to find a solution. It doesn't find a solution and it exits out of the emulator. My .iso's are correct from what I've checked, and my settings are all the same too. Brawl doesn't have this problem unless I run PM before. I can consecutively execute Brawl. Only way I can fix it is to reinstall dolphin and delete its files in my documents folder every time. As you can probably assume, this is annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Specs? Using mayflash driver?

rd6

Smash Rookie
Specs? Using mayflash driver?
4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Windows 8.1 64
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT755M 2GB
8GB RAM 1600 Mhz
1 TB HDD

I'm not using a controller. Just regular keyboard.

Y-L

Smash Champion
4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Windows 8.1 64
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT755M 2GB
8GB RAM 1600 Mhz
1 TB HDD

I'm not using a controller. Just regular keyboard.
I've noticed Dolphin seems to have some issues on Windows 8.1.. I'm going to direct you to the Dolphin Support Forum as I'm not really sure why this could be happening.

Last edited:

That guy21

Smash Rookie
I read the minimum hardware requirements in the first post but I don't really know anything about computers so I was wondering if you could help me figure out if my computer is good enough to play through dolphin. I have a Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro, here are the Specs:
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Will this work? I could run it on either OSX Mavericks or Windows 8 that I have on a partition. Will one be better than the other? Also, if I can run it will it be harmful to my computer in anyway? (Ex: overheating?)

Thanks so much

Y-L

Smash Champion
I read the minimum hardware requirements in the first post but I don't really know anything about computers so I was wondering if you could help me figure out if my computer is good enough to play through dolphin. I have a Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro, here are the Specs:
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Will this work? I could run it on either OSX Mavericks or Windows 8 that I have on a partition. Will one be better than the other? Also, if I can run it will it be harmful to my computer in anyway? (Ex: overheating?)

Thanks so much
Need to know the model of i5. Integrated graphics should run 1x IR or maybe 2x at most (if you're lucky). Windows 8 will run faster. Your cpu may get hot so make sure you have proper ventilation. Mobile cpu's are designed to run at high temps and will throttle (reduce speed) if they get too hot.

That guy21

Smash Rookie
This is the processor:
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB L3 cache
Also what does 1x IR mean, and do you have any tips for keeping the computer cool?

Y-L

Smash Champion
This is the processor:
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB L3 cache
Also what does 1x IR mean, and do you have any tips for keeping the computer cool?
Yes but it should be i5 xxxxx, you need the model. You can find this in system properties or cpu-z. IR is internal resolution in graphics settings. 1x is default wii 480p
Keep your laptop on a flat surface (no laps/blankets) so airflow isn't blocked.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Thanks for this guide! I have everything running great for PM Netplay. Just a quick question though, is there any reason why none of the save data I create in game seems to be retained once I exit the game? Am I doing something wrong?

I ask because for Brawl I'd like to be able to have all of the characters unlocked.

Also, is there a recommended way to do Brawl netplay?

Thanks

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks for this guide! I have everything running great for PM Netplay. Just a quick question though, is there any reason why none of the save data I create in game seems to be retained once I exit the game? Am I doing something wrong?

I ask because for Brawl I'd like to be able to have all of the characters unlocked.

Also, is there a recommended way to do Brawl netplay?

Thanks
Well the problem is you cannot have a save file if you want to Netplay or else you will desync. The only way to not desync with a save file is to have the exact same one for both parties, which is difficult to do with a game like Brawl (melee has global netplay settings which alleviates this, it is also easier cause melee uses a memory card). You can have a save file on a different version of Dolphin (recommended stable build 4.02 or developer build 4.0-1xxx) and have a save file for offline Brawl/PM play. I've not heard of many people playing Netplay Brawl so I can't help you with the issue of save files for Brawl over Netplay, sorry.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Well the problem is you cannot have a save file if you want to Netplay or else you will desync. The only way to not desync with a save file is to have the exact same one for both parties, which is difficult to do with a game like Brawl (melee has global netplay settings which alleviates this, it is also easier cause melee uses a memory card). You can have a save file on a different version of Dolphin (recommended stable build 4.02 or developer build 4.0-1xxx) and have a save file for offline Brawl/PM play. I've not heard of many people playing Netplay Brawl so I can't help you with the issue of save files for Brawl over Netplay, sorry.
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I didn't realize the Dolphin I had now was configured for netplay specifically. I'll go ahead and download a second version for offline play.

Mit

Smash Ace
i7-4700MQ CPU 2.4 GHz on this absurd Alienware work laptop with 16GB of memory and a GTX 780M and I still can't run this thing at a consistent 60fps through a whole match at native resolution? (1x)

Ugh -_-

Ugh and dat sound lag. I don't understand how anyone can seriously play on Dolphin :\ I have yet to see a flawless setup.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
i7-4700MQ CPU 2.4 GHz on this absurd Alienware work laptop with 16GB of memory and a GTX 780M and I still can't run this thing at a consistent 60fps through a whole match at native resolution? (1x)

Ugh -_-

Ugh and dat sound lag. I don't understand how anyone can seriously play on Dolphin :\ I have yet to see a flawless setup.
I have a laptop with a i7 4700MQ as well and it runs absolutely flawlessly. Go in graphics settings->graphics adapter and select intel integrated graphics (they should do you 2-2.5x IR). The reason why you're most likely lagging is because multimedia laptops share the cpu heatsink with gpu and your gpu is probably generating a lot of heat causing your cpu to throttle. Report back after you've done that. There's no reason you should be lagging at all.

Mit

Smash Ace
I have a laptop with a i7 4700MQ as well and it runs absolutely flawlessly. Go in graphics settings->graphics adapter and select intel integrated graphics (they should do you 2-2.5x IR). The reason why you're most likely lagging is because multimedia laptops share the cpu heatsink with gpu and your gpu is probably generating a lot of heat causing your cpu to throttle. Report back after you've done that. There's no reason you should be lagging at all.
It isn't a lot of lag, and I'm doubting the thing is throttling. The CPU usage is low and this thing cools like a beast. It's just occasionally in a match I can notice framerate drops. Not even significant stutters but just mild drops. Which is enough for me to stick with console. My Dolphin settings mirrored those in the OP (though I kept the resolution extra low just to check for maximum performance).

Y-L

Smash Champion
It isn't a lot of lag, and I'm doubting the thing is throttling. The CPU usage is low and this thing cools like a beast. It's just occasionally in a match I can notice framerate drops. Not even significant stutters but just mild drops. Which is enough for me to stick with console. My Dolphin settings mirrored those in the OP (though I kept the resolution extra low just to check for maximum performance).
CPU usage is low because Dolphin can only utilize two cores, not the four that that CPU has. Did you do what I recommended?

Y-L

Smash Champion
It was set to that by default.
Strange. So Dolphin is indeed using the integrated graphics over your dedicated card. Look in the FAQ for the laptop performance guide, that should help you.

Mit

Smash Ace
Strange. So Dolphin is indeed using the integrated graphics over your dedicated card. Look in the FAQ for the laptop performance guide, that should help you.
I think I've run it "flawlessly" on two machines now (my desktop has an i5 2500k), but it's just not acceptable quality for me whereas it's fine for other people. Especially the audio lag. I'd have to play with it muted.

Again, it isn't any kind of significant audio delay, and I'm pretty sure most people look past it, it's just too noticeable for me.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I think I've run it "flawlessly" on two machines now (my desktop has an i5 2500k), but it's just not acceptable quality for me whereas it's fine for other people. Especially the audio lag. I'd have to play with it muted.

Again, it isn't any kind of significant audio delay, and I'm pretty sure most people look past it, it's just too noticeable for me.
Does this happen on the Netplay revision? Try using a different audio backend?

That guy21

Smash Rookie
I followed your guide all the way through, and i played a few games with people over netplay earlier. Then for some reason dolphin started crashing whenever the map is loading. I thought this might be because I had an md5 code that didn't match your posted one, so I remade the PM iso. This gave me the same md5 code however, and now dolphin still crashes when the map loads. Could this have anything to do with having an older/newer brawl version? My brawl md5 is 808aeced7074451554a31fc49df9ae0b and my PM iso md5 is: 529db98d9b278c95c92ae8713107aad9.
Another weird thing is when I host a netplay match with someone but play against a computer and not a person, the map loads just fine and I can play. Playing a person crashes it. Do you have any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I followed your guide all the way through, and i played a few games with people over netplay earlier. Then for some reason dolphin started crashing whenever the map is loading. I thought this might be because I had an md5 code that didn't match your posted one, so I remade the PM iso. This gave me the same md5 code however, and now dolphin still crashes when the map loads. Could this have anything to do with having an older/newer brawl version? My brawl md5 is 808aeced7074451554a31fc49df9ae0b and my PM iso md5 is: 529db98d9b278c95c92ae8713107aad9.
Another weird thing is when I host a netplay match with someone but play against a computer and not a person, the map loads just fine and I can play. Playing a person crashes it. Do you have any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Well you need to fix your MD5. You must have built wrong. Make sure your iso is NTSC and 7gb+. If so, then follow the steps again.

That guy21

Smash Rookie
I rebuilt the iso for the third time and it still has the same md5 as what I posted above. Someone was telling me that there are different Brawl versions like 1.0.1 and 1.0.2, might I need a newer version? Could the way that I got my brawl ISO have anything to do with it? (I ripped it using my wii and usb loader)

Y-L

Smash Champion
I rebuilt the iso for the third time and it still has the same md5 as what I posted above. Someone was telling me that there are different Brawl versions like 1.0.1 and 1.0.2, might I need a newer version? Could the way that I got my brawl ISO have anything to do with it? (I ripped it using my wii and usb loader)
I believe they're talking about melee. Make sure it's 7.2 gb and NTSC. Must be NTSC (American)

That guy21

Smash Rookie
I know it is NTSC, and the PM file is 7.2 but the brawl is 7.4. Also now I played someone with the md5 code that you listed with no problems at all, but it seems to be hit or miss based on the person. :( Has this never happened to you?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I know it is NTSC, and the PM file is 7.2 but the brawl is 7.4. Also now I played someone with the md5 code that you listed with no problems at all, but it seems to be hit or miss based on the person. :( Has this never happened to you?
Well a wrong md5 means different files, so if you happen to do any action/enter any part of the game with that little difference that will desync you and there's no coming back from it until you restart game. Perhaps you just happened to get lucky and didn't do anything that lead to having different files.
You try rebuilding? My iso is 7.92gb but I would think 7.4 is right but who knows maybe it isn't or it got corrupted while ripping it.

That guy21

Smash Rookie
I've rebuilt the PM iso 3 times and got the same result, so I think the brawl iso is at fault. I guess ill re-rip that but I dont see how re ripping it could change any data. Is there such a thing as bad rips?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I've rebuilt the PM iso 3 times and got the same result, so I think the brawl iso is at fault. I guess ill re-rip that but I dont see how re ripping it could change any data. Is there such a thing as bad rips?
Maybe it got corrupted while ripping?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks and what would it cost for a 1080p setup?
Give me your budget and I'll build you a computer on pcpartpicker. Tell me what you want it for (only dolphin or other things?) what you need (do you need externals like monitor?) and do you have any spare parts from anything else (like a hard drive or power supply or something?)

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
Give me your budget and I'll build you a computer on pcpartpicker. Tell me what you want it for (only dolphin or other things?) what you need (do you need externals like monitor?) and do you have any spare parts from anything else (like a hard drive or power supply or something?)
My budget is around €500 to €600 and i want dolphin and other emulaters, and I want to make and edit videos. Lastly for YouTube and school stuff.

Last edited:

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
Do you have any spare parts/externals?
Not really and could it also be a laptop? I want to thank you for doing this:). It doesn't have to be a laptop but it would be preferred.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I didn't include an OS in this build and it's a little over budget but this would be a god tier build that can do everything you could ever want.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3QO8W

Highly recommend saving up the extra bit of money if you can't afford it because this is very future proof right now.

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
I didn't include an OS in this build and it's a little over budget but this would be a god tier build that can do everything you could ever want.

Highly recommend saving up the extra bit of money if you can't afford it because this is very future proof right now.
Thanks!:) But do you know where i could be able to set it up correctly or how much that would cost because i don't really know how to do that?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks!:) But do you know where i could be able to set it up correctly or how much that would cost because i don't really know how to do that?
I'm not sure but I'm sure there's people that do it. You may want to learn how to do it yourself though by watching videos and reading instructions because it's a great personal achievement, saves money, will help you if you ever have to replace something, and is a good skill to have.

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet

And do all of those websites deliver to the Netherlands?

Last edited:
Top Bottom