• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Y-L

Smash Champion
Event matches are not working but I think I know how to fix it, I'm trying to patch everything that's not working atm.

NintendudeCT

Smash Rookie
So, even with using the Offline version replays don't work. I even tried turning off my L and R analog and that did nothing. Any idea whats wrong?

Scratch that, didn't realize OpenGL desyncs replays. Fixed it.

Last edited:

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Whenever I try to walk, I end up dashing. Any idea on how to fix this?

Y-L

Smash Champion

Tokohiko

Smash Rookie
Is there a method to add custom music to PM on Dolphin without the usage of an SD card? I know Wii Scrubber works, but that's only if the file is less than or equal to the same file size.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Is there a method to add custom music to PM on Dolphin without the usage of an SD card? I know Wii Scrubber works, but that's only if the file is less than or equal to the same file size.
Custom music desyncs netplay, but if you insist you can just add the custom music in the projectm folder before you build the iso.

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman
So, as of this morning I finally got Project M to work on Dolphin using the builder method, but my md5 does not match the one on the first page of the guide. Has that hash been updated recently? If the brawl image I used was larger than 7gb (nonscrubbed?), and the builder completed successfully (PM iso is 7.7gb, not 7.4gb?), can I assume that I'm fine as far as it working correctly?

Thanks for any info, I've been banging my head trying to get this to work.

Y-L

Smash Champion
So, as of this morning I finally got Project M to work on Dolphin using the builder method, but my md5 does not match the one on the first page of the guide. Has that hash been updated recently? If the brawl image I used was larger than 7gb (nonscrubbed?), and the builder completed successfully (PM iso is 7.7gb, not 7.4gb?), can I assume that I'm fine as far as it working correctly?

Thanks for any info, I've been banging my head trying to get this to work.
Test it on netplay and see what happens. If you desync, then you may want to get a new brawl iso. I recommend getting it from your Wii with cleanrip.

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman
Test it on netplay and see what happens. If you desync, then you may want to get a new brawl iso. I recommend getting it from your Wii with cleanrip.
Thanks for the info! Is it obvious when you desync? This is my first post since melee days, so I haven't even tried netplay yet.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks for the info! Is it obvious when you desync? This is my first post since melee days, so I haven't even tried netplay yet.
Very obvious. When you desync, you and your opponent are in different parts of the game. You still input and receieve the same inputs, and it won't affect you, but the your opponent will see something different and probably just do attacks off the cliff on your screen and SD.

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman
Very obvious. When you desync, you and your opponent are in different parts of the game. You still input and receieve the same inputs, and it won't affect you, but the your opponent will see something different and probably just do attacks off the cliff on your screen and SD.
Great, thanks a bunch. I'll have to buy a new copy of brawl because mine is out of state, but I'll try netplay and see if it screws up :)

Tokohiko

Smash Rookie
Custom music desyncs netplay, but if you insist you can just add the custom music in the projectm folder before you build the iso.
Thanks for the information.

What intrigues me, however, is if I could build two separate PM ISOs, but have one with the custom music and one without? Would it still be able to work?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks for the information.

What intrigues me, however, is if I could build two separate PM ISOs, but have one with the custom music and one without? Would it still be able to work?
Sure, but unless you change the game id you have to keep them in separate directories or Dolphin will confuse them. You could only use the custom music one online if your partner also had the same custom music.

KrozoMagnus

Smash Rookie
I don't know if you've heard this yet. But Stamina mode with looping boundaries doesn't seem to work. The Stamina type descriptions at the bottom are still the stage rules as well. (If that made sense)

Y-L

Smash Champion
I don't know if you've heard this yet. But Stamina mode with looping boundaries doesn't seem to work. The Stamina type descriptions at the bottom are still the stage rules as well. (If that made sense)
I'm aware and I'm investigating it.

Z13k

Smash Rookie
I'm aware and I'm investigating it.
You may already be aware of this but I've found that newer versions of dolphin the stamina mode works (though the description text is still wrong).

Also wanted to say that your doing a great job helping all these people out. More people in the netplay community the better :)

OrrA

Smash Rookie
I downloaded the builder via the link in your updated original post for the soul reason of being able to save my single player and I still cannot. What can I check to ensure I'm doing everything properly? Do I have to manually access previous saves on game restarts?

I have the netplay version built and of course saves didn't work, I tried a builder someone on reddit recommended for this problem and that didn't work either. I downloaded your builder and it still doesn't work so I'm lead to believe I'm the one who is at fault. My iso's work fine and allow me to launch the game and play but every time I start up even after trying to save I'm asked if I wish to make a new save and warned about my options if I don't so I can only assume my save files aren't being saved. PLEASE HELP!!!

OrrA

Smash Rookie
After much WTFing and trying everything I could think of I figured out that the problem was the version of Dolphin I was using. The recommended version of Dolphin for netplay as per most online guides suggests Dolphin 4.0-648 and as such that is what I've always used but being the only variable I didn't change I decided to install an older version and low and behold it worked. I tried various older versions of Dolphin including 3.0, 3.5 and 3.5 variants which all seemed to work but I settled on going with Dolphin 4.0 because the icon is actually a dolphin and not a person. Everything seems to work properly so far with the builder in your original post but now I'm met with a minor inconvenience. After creating a save file for PM all my variants of PM have been renamed and noted to the same exact thing which makes it difficult to immediately distinguish which is which. The intuitive "right click iso -> properties -> info" shows all the information I want to change but I can't actually edit it. There is an "Edit Config" button that opens a blank notepad so I'm not entirely sure how to make use of that but I'm hoping someone here will.

TLDR: I fixed my **** but now all my versions of PM look the exact same, what do?
i imgur com/q4jcBNL png

(add "." where applicable, can't post links yet)

Y-L

Smash Champion
You may already be aware of this but I've found that newer versions of dolphin the stamina mode works (though the description text is still wrong).

Also wanted to say that your doing a great job helping all these people out. More people in the netplay community the better :)
Thanks, that's helpful to know.

After much WTFing and trying everything I could think of I figured out that the problem was the version of Dolphin I was using. The recommended version of Dolphin for netplay as per most online guides suggests Dolphin 4.0-648 and as such that is what I've always used but being the only variable I didn't change I decided to install an older version and low and behold it worked. I tried various older versions of Dolphin including 3.0, 3.5 and 3.5 variants which all seemed to work but I settled on going with Dolphin 4.0 because the icon is actually a dolphin and not a person. Everything seems to work properly so far with the builder in your original post but now I'm met with a minor inconvenience. After creating a save file for PM all my variants of PM have been renamed and noted to the same exact thing which makes it difficult to immediately distinguish which is which. The intuitive "right click iso -> properties -> info" shows all the information I want to change but I can't actually edit it. There is an "Edit Config" button that opens a blank notepad so I'm not entirely sure how to make use of that but I'm hoping someone here will.

TLDR: I fixed my **** but now all my versions of PM look the exact same, what do?
i imgur com/q4jcBNL png

(add "." where applicable, can't post links yet)
Don't use 4.0, use the latest developer versions, they're much faster and less buggy. I'm not sure why that happens, you might ask on the Dolphin forums for better results.

I've got the iso built, but when I load it on Dolphin after this screen:

my FPS drops to 0 and I'm left with a black screen. Any idea what the problem would be?
Is your md5 right?

LePurpe

Smash Rookie
Hello,

So the game was working fine when I got Project M copy working, until the 3rd time I tried playing, and now I get an warning message that says "Game tried to reload a title that is not available in you NAND dump"

Can someone help?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hello,

So the game was working fine when I got Project M copy working, until the 3rd time I tried playing, and now I get an warning message that says "Game tried to reload a title that is not available in you NAND dump"

Can someone help?
Don't press b when it asks you at the beginning if you want to continue without saving or return to the Wii menu, it's trying to go to the Wii menu which you don't have.

TheKk-47

Smash Apprentice
So if I add the music to the Project M folder before building the iso, everything will be fine?

LePurpe

Smash Rookie
Don't press b when it asks you at the beginning if you want to continue without saving or return to the Wii menu, it's trying to go to the Wii menu which you don't have.
Thank you!

Drigonaut

Smash Apprentice
OP, Can i recommend to put in BIG BOLD LETTERS noting that the mac and linux builders are in the FAQ section? That was the LAST place i looked after trying to figure out how to get my stuff to work for xxx amount of hours :( I would have thought that it would be fairly important information to share in the directions

Y-L

Smash Champion
OP, Can i recommend to put in BIG BOLD LETTERS noting that the mac and linux builders are in the FAQ section? That was the LAST place i looked after trying to figure out how to get my stuff to work for xxx amount of hours :( I would have thought that it would be fairly important information to share in the directions
Sorry about that, I'll do that asap.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Everytime I try to join a game the emu hangs for a moment and then shows me a Disconnected message. When I'm the one hosting, it's the other person the one that sees that problem.

I'm using the 652 version with all the options from the OP, without savefile and all that. Am I missing something? Do I need to forward some ports or something?

Noogie

Smash Rookie
So I tried to USB load this iso, after converting it to WBFS, however whenever I try to open the game it flashes back to homebrew, can anyone help?

Joshtrip1

J Dogg
NNID
danielsjw7
3DS FC
2466-4097-7365
I have a question, has anyone made a Local Play Guide yet. I would like to have a version i can run for local play that can actually save data. Sometimes I play on the go with friends.

Top Bottom