1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 150,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 15 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. Trying to find the perfect gift? Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

3. Guest, we are currently running a contest to determine the best guide on Smashboards! $200 is up for grabs! Go here for details and to submit your candidate! Guide Contest Info!

Project M 3.5 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide [3.5 READY!]

Discussion in 'Help and Support' started by Y-L, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

THE NETPLAY BUILD WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY ON CONSOLE. IF YOU PLAN TO PLAY WITH A SAVE FILE OR ON CONSOLE, USE THIS ISO BUILDER.

As of Project M Version 3.5 this guide is UP TO DATE.

A lot of people have difficulty setting up Project M for Netplay (or offline) use so I've decided to make this guide to answer any questions people might have. The reddit thread isn't updated very often and a lot of smashboards members don't know about it/are still asking questions with easy solutions. If I could possibly get this stickied that would be great. Mac/Linux guides are in the FAQ.

DOLPHIN NETPLAY MATCHMAKING ROOM

Smashladder Matchmaking (by Anther)

WHAT YOU NEED

NTSC copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl.iso [no links/asking where to get one, you need to do this on your own]
    7.4 GB of Hard Drive Space
    Dolphin revision 4.0-648 or 4.0-652
    Project M 3.5 Netplay Iso Builder (Mac/Linux users check the FAQ)

HARDWARE (Courtesy of Serris)

MAKING THE ISO

SETTING UP DOLPHIN

PLAYING ON NETPLAY

FAQ/TROUBLESHOOTING

Want to support Netplay? Post this in your siggy:
    Code:
    [url="http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-dolphin-online-via-netplay-full-setup-optimization-guide.346700/#post-16253340"][img]http://puu.sh/9JIuh/367e5c6894.jpg[/img][/url]
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. Serris

Serris ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

3DS FC:
    0877-2455-9739
    NNID:
    Herple-Derples

Some of your tips for optimization are inaccurate or flat-out detrimental to Dolphin's performance.

• Use EuRGB Mode (PAL60) offers no benefits. It doesn't give any framerate speed-up. The setting only exists for image/color correction when playing PAL games on 60 Hz displays.
    • Setting your internal resolution to Auto (Window Size) forces the GPU to render less pixels due to fractional scaling, so it's better for performance than Auto (Multiple of 640x528).
    • Scaled EFB Copy will decrease performance.
    • Vertex Streaming Hack in the OpenGL backend will provide a substantial performance boost to anyone with an nVidia graphics card from the GTX 4xx series or above.
    You may want to include a minimum and recommended specs section under "What You Need" so people know what they're getting into.

Minimum Requirements (2 player, 480p/60 FPS):

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 or AMD Phenom X2 555
    Memory: 4 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT or AMD Radeon HD 4770
    Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit or OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" 32-bit
    Recommended Specifications (4 player, 720p/60 FPS):

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD Phenom X4 955
    Memory: 4 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7850
    Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit or OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" 64-bit​
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Yudoken likes this.
  3. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

Thanks for the tips I'm updating the guide now.
  4. Auvic

Auvic Smash Rookie

Under 'Process,'

The words 'the folder' caught me off-guard and I didn't know which folder to put it in. I figured it out though, it's the Builder folder. If you could clarify that for the noobs like me, that'd be coolz.
  5. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

Yeah it's the builder folder. I'll change that for future reference.
  6. xandre

xandre Smash Cadet

"no valid source files found"

for some reason the builder doesn't recognize my brawl iso, so i can't build it into p:m. runs fine in dolphin though.

also, disabling sound entirely is the way to go for me. sped things up, stopped some hitching i was having. not really a loss considering how laggy the sound is anyway.
  7. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

I assume you're running PM through an SD card instead? I found the audio really lags when you run it that way, but not with the injected iso. Can you explain to me when you get the error message? Are you sure it's the brawl iso? Try running winmd5 on the brawl iso and tell me what you get. Also maybe try renaming the brawl iso to RSBE01.iso
  8. xandre

xandre Smash Cadet

i wasn't running it through an sd card. i had the same audio lag with melee, though i didn't notice it with skyward sword. i was getting the error message in the builder. it searches the directory for a valid iso file, and doesn't seem to recognize my brawl file. i ended up just finding a iso that someone already built into p:m netplay that works.
  9. Serris

Serris ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

3DS FC:
    0877-2455-9739
    NNID:
    Herple-Derples

It won't recognize any 4.7 GB DVD5 ISOs that only contain the first layer of the disc. You need a full 8.9 GB DVD9 ISO, which can be acquired by ripping the disc image from your Wii with USB Loader GX. Please don't discuss using ISOs you haven't personally built. It's a legal grey area.

As for your audio problems, what kind of processor do you have?
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  10. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

Serris is correct. It needs to be the full 8.9GB iso. The injected one will be 7.2GB.
  11. SnuggleBubbler

SnuggleBubbler Smash Cadet

NNID:
    SnuggleBubbler
    Everything is fine until this step. I do everything exactly how it says and yet there is no ProjectM_RSBEPM_K-sav.iso in the Builder folder once I am done with the Builder.

EDIT: Nevermind, I feel like an idiot, checked the Builder_ISO's text and it said that it couldn't create due to lack of space on the computer, so disregard
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  12. Spooky Skook

Spooky Skook Smash Cadet

What's the deal with the md5 code?
    I've had pm working on my computer for the past two weeks and wanted to try getting into netplay, but I'm concerned that something will screw up cause my iso's md5 code isn't the same as the one you posted. At first I thought it was because I hadn't copied over the RSBE01.gct from the homebrew. But even when I did that and made the iso again I got the same md5 code I had before. Remaking the iso again seems to yield the same md5 code.

So what exactly is the md5 code for and what can I do to change it?
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  13. Kally Wally

Kally Wally Smash Ace

The md5 code is there to confirm that you have the same ISO file as everyone else. It's hard to know what the issue is, without knowing more about your setup. What is the file size of your Brawl ISO? What files are in the builder folder? How many cats are in your house?
  14. Spooky Skook

Spooky Skook Smash Cadet

In order:

1. The brawl iso I'm using is about 7.92 GB
    2. The files in my builder folder include the files from the homebrew pm download, the smashbros sound brsar, the RSBE01.gct from the pm homebrew, the builder itself, and the new project m iso.
    3. I'm running dangerously low on cats at the moment. Will call my local cat farm to refill my stock.
  15. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

Just to let you know creating the ISO will have no effect on your brawl iso whatsoever as it creates a copy to use as the Project M iso, so rest assuredly, and give it a shot.
  16. Kally Wally

Kally Wally Smash Ace

You didn't list the Brawl ISO. That should be in there, of course.

Are there any other folders in the homebrew.zip than the "projectm" folder? Try only putting that in, and nothing else, if applicable.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Spooky Skook likes this.
  17. Spooky Skook

Spooky Skook Smash Cadet

Sorry bout that. Yea my brawl iso is in there as well. About the folders, it looks like everything in the homebrew is in the projectm folder.
    I'm going to see if I'm using the right pm homebrew RSBE01.gct. Maybe I accidently put the wi-fi safe in the builder by mistake.
  18. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

You should have the homebrew full set projectm folder and the RSBE01.gct in your builder folder. That's all you need from the homebrew folder.
  19. Spooky Skook

Spooky Skook Smash Cadet

Well I'm definitely using the right RSBE01.gct, but I'm still coming up with a different md5 code. I'm at a loss
  20. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

I would do the following:
    • Be absolutely sure you have the right projectm and RSBE01.gct from the homebrew full set. the projectm folder itself should be whats in the same directory as the builder.bat, not the files inside. RSBE01.gct needs to replace the one currently in there.
    • Ensure that you have an NTSC copy of brawl, not PAL. You can determine this by checking the flag logo in dolphin.
    • Try running the builder and read what the .bat is saying while it builds. Look for any sort of error messages (aside from cygwin.dll), the it might say it cannot find a certain file and continue trying to build, resulting in a bad md5.

Most of the time, a bad md5 is the from the wrong projectm folder and RSBE01.gct, just as a heads up.
    If you have no luck, post a picture of your folders and the md5 you're getting.
    Spooky Skook likes this.
  21. Spooky Skook

Spooky Skook Smash Cadet

First I want to say thanks a million for taking the time to help me.
    I was finally able to get it to work by using the RSBE01.gct from the projectm full folder instead of the codes folder in the homebrew. I don't really know why there is multiple RSBE01.gct files around.
  22. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

Strange, I believe I got my RSBE01.gct from the codes folder, however if it worked for you then that's great. No problem.
  23. Kally Wally

Kally Wally Smash Ace

Question: I've seen desyncs caused by custom music, but is there any form of custom content that doesn't screw up netplay? Stage textures, character skins, only wifi safe stuff obviously. Or will any modification break it? If so, what makes netplay different from wifi?
  24. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

I would just not use custom modifications with dolphin Netplay. Music does cause desyncs, albeit less frequently, but it does nonetheless. Custom textures will probably do this too. I'm not sure why this is, but I have experienced it myself.
    What makes Netplay differ from Wifi is the delay. If you've played over Wifi iit has a considerable amount of lag. It is probably around 20 frames of buffer. With Netplay you can play with 3-9 frames of buffer. Which is extremely noticeable. I don't see how anyone could play with 20 frames of buffer.
  25. Kally Wally

Kally Wally Smash Ace

By "what makes netplay different from wifi?" I meant "why does wifi safe stuff not work over netplay?"
  26. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

Yeah I'm really not sure I didn't think custom songs would have any effect on desyncing.
  27. iLLuMinati_EYE

iLLuMinati_EYE Smash Apprentice

3DS FC:
    1092-0093-9337
    NNID:
    Blue-Jay914
    alright i have a problem for some reason when i download dolphin 4.0 648 or 652 my game runs like **** but with the current version dolphin 3.5-339 it runs at a smooth 60 fps and i can play friends with netplay 90% of the time without desyncing issues, so is there a reason for this does 4.0 require more power from the computer. btw thanks in advance
  28. iLLuMinati_EYE

3DS FC:
    1092-0093-9337
    NNID:
    Blue-Jay914
    nvm i fixed it i just moved the applications extensions from dolphin 3.5-339 to 3.5-2468
  29. iLLuMinati_EYE

3DS FC:
    1092-0093-9337
    NNID:
    Blue-Jay914
    what does port forward upnp mean in dolhpin netplay??
  30. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

Port forwarding was required in previous versions of dolphin to host. Dolphin builds 4.0-xxx made it possible to host without port forwarding your router.
  31. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

Bumping this thread.
  32. MoonlapseOpethian

MoonlapseOpethian Smash Journeyman

I may just be stupid, but this is way too complicated. I mean, I can probably take my time and figure it out, but 90% of the WiFi community is going to have no idea how to run this. Hope a simpler version gets created by May.

Anyway, my only question right now is: Is a graphics card actually needed? I hope not, because I don't want to have to spend money I don't have just to play this.
  33. Kally Wally

Kally Wally Smash Ace

This is about as simple as you can make the process, I think. It's really not that difficult, all the steps are there, you just have to follow them. Sometimes it fails to work for insane and baffling reasons, but this is rare. Most of the time, anyone with basic reading comprehension skills can set it up just fine.

As for video cards, Dolphin does care more about your CPU, but having a strong GPU can help.
  34. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

You can play on Netplay with an integrated GPU fairly easily. Dolphin runs almost entirely off of CPU. A good GPU will give you visual enhancements such as internal resolution increases/anti-aliasing. My laptop has an i7 400MQ which has Intel HD4600 Integrated graphics and I can run 2.5x internal resolution so don't worry about that.

As for this being over complicated, it really isn't. The process section is all you really need, which is only a few steps. The rest is for optimization and preventing of issues.
  35. MoonlapseOpethian

MoonlapseOpethian Smash Journeyman

My friend told me today that my PC should already have a graphics card, so all that's left are the steps. Another friend of mine said the process was easy, so I think I can tackle it.

I'm guessing that this iso Brawl thing is a torrent copy of Brawl, or whatever. My friend is going to send me those files.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  36. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

If you want some advice please post your specs. You can find what kind of graphics card you have by going to run->dxdiag and check what device name you have under the Display 1 tab. As well, post what kind of processor you have which is under the system tab as Dolphin is mainly reliant on CPU. I can let you know what kind of performance/graphics you should be able to achieve.

Brawl is a pretty lightweight game in terms of Dolphin so most mid level CPU's can run it.

The "Brawl thing" is an iso image of the game that would be on the disk. It is true that people often obtain copies of the game illegally by torrenting it but it is not a torrent file. Please refrain from talking about torrenting or other illegal activities on this forum. What you need is a super smash bros brawl.iso file.
  37. garcky

garcky Smash Rookie

I used a wbfs 7.9 gb, I think all well but when I go to play online it tells me there is not save data, unable to acces nintendo wtc.

that I can do?
  38. garcky

garcky Smash Rookie

We pass ISO and following all the steps of the tutorial, when I connect to netplay tells me disconected.
  39. Spooky Skook

Spooky Skook Smash Cadet

Just a heads up, I ran into some issues when it came to the brawl iso. If theres an issue like lag or graphics issues, it could be the iso you're using. Some isos are better then others, so make sure that the one you download isn't corrupted/missing files/etc before you assume it's your computer not being able to handle the game. The first brawl iso I downloaded had corrupted sound files, which made the sound stutter and lag a lot. At first I thought it was my computer not being able to handle the load, but after trying another download everything worked out.
  40. Y-L

Y-L Smash Lord

Try using a wbfs to iso converter. Those are easy to find online.