• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Y-L

Smash Champion
SOMEONE HELP ME WITH DOLPHIN ON MAC
If you are able to build the PM iso on a windows computer, you can port that iso over via a flash drive and that will work on your mac. Just ensure you have both the Brawl and PM iso's on your mac.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
why doesnt' dolphin 4.0-648 read my sd card it does for my other version of dolphin and i placed the sd card in the folder and enabled sd card

Y-L

Smash Champion
why doesnt' dolphin 4.0-648 read my sd card it does for my other version of dolphin and i placed the sd card in the folder and enabled sd card
You cannot play on dolphin using the sd card method. If you wish to play PM locally using an sd card method (which I don't recommend and is more complicated), then you have to use a virtual sd card. There are a lot of guides of that on youtube. However I recommend using this method for local play anyways. Besides, enable sd card causes desyncs anyways.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
How is the online on Dolphin compared to Wii?

And is it possible that the Dolphin can handle much more than the Wii since you're using your PC? (Like 6-8 man brawl)

Last edited:

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice

And is it possible that the Dolphin can handle much more than the Wii since you're using your PC? (Like 6-8 man brawl)
if u have the recommended specs or something close to it dolphin is can be flawless online assuming you also have good internet and your also playing someone with good ping

Y-L

Smash Champion

The lag is MUCH MUCH less than the wii because you're not using wifi to play. However, it'll be almost as bad as on the wii if you're not playing someone from your region. Playing with more than one player will make lag pretty bad too because if one of you lag you all lag to prevent desyncs. You just have to find the right buffer setting that won't cause frame lag. Playing with one other person from your region will only have about 4 frames of delay compared to wifi's 20ish.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
im planning to build my own pc in about a week and im planning on going with Intel Core i5 4440 (3.10GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 4GB DDR3 is this sufficient enough for pm and melee online? im a little worried that the processor won't be strong enough for netplay but i will be rplacing it later in the future

Y-L

Smash Champion
im planning to build my own pc in about a week and im planning on going with Intel Core i5 4440 (3.10GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 4GB DDR3 is this sufficient enough for pm and melee online? im a little worried that the processor won't be strong enough for netplay but i will be rplacing it later in the future
That processor will be more than sufficient for PM (and melee), brawl really isn't that intense of a game for Dolphin and that processor has good single core performance (Dolphin relies heavily on single core performance and only utitlizes 2 cpu cores). With that card you should be able to do 3-4x internal resolution as well.

If you play other games then I recommend you upgrade to an i5 4670k which will be more future proof as a really good processor and also has the K which denotes it can be overclocked. If you're only using this machine for Dolphin then I recommend you downgrade to an i3 4130 as that is cheaper but will perform just as well in Dolphin.

Even my Athlon 750k ($80) and Radeon 7770 ($110) runs PM fine on 4x internal resolution so you should have no problems.

Last edited:

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
That processor will be more than sufficient for PM (and melee), brawl really isn't that intense of a game for Dolphin and that processor has good single core performance (Dolphin relies heavily on single core performance and only utitlizes 2 cpu cores). With that card you should be able to do 3-4x internal resolution as well.

If you play other games then I recommend you upgrade to an i5 4670k which will be more future proof as a really good processor and also has the K which denotes it can be overclocked. If you're only using this machine for Dolphin then I recommend you downgrade to an i3 4130 as that is cheaper but will perform just as well in Dolphin.

Even my Athlon 750k ($80) and Radeon 7770 ($110) runs PM fine on 4x internal resolution so you should have no problems.
well if thats the case for pm and melee online ill wait then to upgrade the processor until some the pc games i want come out thanks for your help man

Y-L

Smash Champion
it can run melee online pretty decent and for pm its impossible
That processor has relatively decent single threaded performance and should be able to play PM with no lag. Do you have a dedicated graphics card? If you're using integrated graphics that may be why.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
That processor has relatively decent single threaded performance and should be able to play PM with no lag. Do you have a dedicated graphics card? If you're using integrated graphics that may be why.
yea i have a ****ty graphics card lol an intel HD graphics family card pm and melee run smoothly at 60 fps offline my only concerns are the online gameplay

Y-L

Smash Champion
yea i have a ****ty graphics card lol an intel HD graphics family card pm and melee run smoothly at 60 fps offline my only concerns are the online gameplay
Are you sure that's a dedicated card? Intel HD graphics are usually the name for the built in graphics in the processor for which that processor is pretty bad.
If you're getting 60 fps offline are you sure it's not because you didn't play someone with a bad connection to you? Try increasing the frame buffer with your opponent and see if fps improves. Read the category in the guide about the buffer under hosting a netplay game.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure that's a dedicated card? Intel HD graphics are usually the name for the built in graphics in the processor for which that processor is pretty bad.
If you're getting 60 fps offline are you sure it's not because you didn't play someone with a bad connection to you? Try increasing the frame buffer with your opponent and see if fps improves. Read the category in the guide about the buffer under hosting a netplay game.
yea im sure i played guys in pm with like 20 ping and it was a terrible experience unlike for melee the game runs pretty good online with occasional spikes here and there. as for the pad buffer i usually try to start with pad buffer 5 and move up

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
yea im sure i played guys in pm with like 20 ping and it was a terrible experience unlike for melee the game runs pretty good online with occasional spikes here and there. as for the pad buffer i usually try to start with pad buffer 5 and move up
I'm going to guess your integerated graphics are what's bottlenecking you here if it's not ping. To verify it's not ping, try joining a game with someone and setting the buffer really high (like 50) and see if you're not getting good frames. Also in that game, open task manager and see how much cpu is being used and make sure it's not 100%. If it's none of that, then it's time for a new video card. You can get one that will work fine for very cheap or just invest in one that you'll use for other games. You wouldn't have to upgrade your cpu I don't think if you didn't want to.

Last edited:

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
i just finished playing a set with someone in melee with 40-50 ping and pad buffer 5 and the game ran close to perfect with little to no frame drops. My cpu usage during gameplay is about 48-56% but i set the dolphin priorty to atleast high and again we tried to play pm and it was unbearable

Last edited:

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
so my problem is that my graphics card is much less than the required amount. can i just buy a new graphics card or do i have to get a whole new computer? i dont think im gonna do that so if thats the case i probably cant get netplay :/ i use a macbook pro laptop which has nvidia 320m or whatever

Y-L

Smash Champion
so my problem is that my graphics card is much less than the required amount. can i just buy a new graphics card or do i have to get a whole new computer? i dont think im gonna do that so if thats the case i probably cant get netplay :/ i use a macbook pro laptop which has nvidia 320m or whatever
Desktop graphics cards are easily and affordably replaceable but laptop ones are not.

ThaJakester

Valatunda! Valatunda!
NNID
ThaJakester
I have been having problems with Dolphin ever since I first installed it. This is very strange considering that my laptops specs are more than enough to run PM from what I understand after reading this thread...My laptop has is Windows 7, has an i7 processor, 8gbs of ram, and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M graphics card. I also fine tuned the Dolphin settings in accordance to the first post in this thread. Yet with all of this done, In PM, the game lags pretty considerably. In 1v1s, the lag is just enough to ruin the experience, and the more players that are added, the slower everything gets. However, oddly enough, if you play by yourself on the stage the game actually runs FASTER than it is supposed to run...I don't understand at all what that is about. Occasionally however, the game does runs somewhat okay on 1v1 standards. That rarely works out though. It usually just lags! And again, if I add more players everything just goes down hill...I have also tried playing Melee on Dolphin and this lag happens there as well. So it can't just be my PM ISO right? Also on Melee, there was considerably more lag on Fountain of Dreams as opposed to a stage like Yoshi's Story...Anybody understand what could be going on? I really, really, really appreciate any responses. Playing Melee or PM online and without lag at that has always been my dream!! *o*

Y-L

Smash Champion
I have been having problems with Dolphin ever since I first installed it. This is very strange considering that my laptops specs are more than enough to run PM from what I understand after reading this thread...My laptop has is Windows 7, has an i7 processor, 8gbs of ram, and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M graphics card. I also fine tuned the Dolphin settings in accordance to the first post in this thread. Yet with all of this done, In PM, the game lags pretty considerably. In 1v1s, the lag is just enough to ruin the experience, and the more players that are added, the slower everything gets. However, oddly enough, if you play by yourself on the stage the game actually runs FASTER than it is supposed to run...I don't understand at all what that is about. Occasionally however, the game does runs somewhat okay on 1v1 standards. That rarely works out though. It usually just lags! And again, if I add more players everything just goes down hill...I have also tried playing Melee on Dolphin and this lag happens there as well. So it can't just be my PM ISO right? Also on Melee, there was considerably more lag on Fountain of Dreams as opposed to a stage like Yoshi's Story...Anybody understand what could be going on? I really, really, really appreciate any responses. Playing Melee or PM online and without lag at that has always been my dream!! *o*
Could you please specify what type of i7 processor you have? More than likely it's not the processor but let me know anyways. You can find this if you go to my computer>system properties. Also does it lag all the time or does it lag after awhile of game time? It could be that your computer is overheating which might cause the processor to throttle or reduce its speed to cool itself down. Certain stages do lag more than others however if melee is lagging on an i7 then I'm going to guess it is something else.. you can try going to power options on your laptop and turning it on max performance. After you do that, try running the game and use a program such as coretemp to monitor your cpu temperatures and see if they are getting too hot (>90 C). In addition, have task manager open and check your cpu usage. Ensure that while you're in game dolphin is not hogging all of your cpu usage (>90%). Let me know of these things and I'll see what I can next advise you to do.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
im having this problem with 4.0-648 and 652 my specs are intel i5-4440, nvidia GTX650, 4gb of ram. The problem im having is the game runs a 60FPS online and offline but the game looks choppy in a sense i dont think im explaining in right but has anyone experienced this?

Y-L

Smash Champion
im having this problem with 4.0-648 and 652 my specs are intel i5-4440, nvidia GTX650, 4gb of ram. The problem im having is the game runs a 60FPS online and offline but the game looks choppy in a sense i dont think im explaining in right but has anyone experienced this?
Is it choppy offline?

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
Is it choppy offline?
yea it happens alot on Fd and battlfield mind you the FPS never drops from 60 its just a little jittery, its not unplayable it just bothers me that i notice it lol and for some reason when i play on an older build (3.5-399) i dont see the problem

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
Try using OpenGL (with vertex hack enabled) and see what happens
sorry i forgot to mention that i use open gl with vertex hack and i messed around with direct 3d i wish i had a video capture device to show it off its so hard to explain lol

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
sorry i forgot to mention that i use open gl with vertex hack and i messed around with direct 3d i wish i had a video capture device to show it off its so hard to explain lol
try d3d then
you can download a video capture program that doesn't use a lot of resources like obs

Top Bottom