• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: Framedisplay for [U] version

Sangoku

Smash Master
I still think this deserves its own thread, so I'll make it and move the conversations here.

First a bit of history for newcomers/those who didn't follow and want to catch up on what happened.

What is Framedisplay?

It all started with this video on hijiki422's channel. It is basically a program that allows you to view each character's attacks frame by frame with the hitboxes superimposed (in a continuous fashion from all hitbox to all normal).

You can download it here (thanks to Madao).

Obviously, all credits go to the original developpers of this program (hijiki soft).

The problem

As it was made by Japanese players, it only concerns the Japanese version of SSB64. We dreamt about an American version, but at the time nobody in our community had the necessary knowledge to 1) freely switch between hitbox mode and normal mode and 2) to use it in an emulator that would let us play it frame by frame (such as mupen). All we had was savestates of hitbox mode found by accident by malva00 (not sure on this one) for each character in Mario's break the target stage and with some
moves crashing. And the worst of it: those savestates were only for Project 64 (ie, no frame by frame)

The savior

Madao recently joined the boards and figured out (among lots of other things) how to switch to hitbox mode in a simple way in Mupen and Nemu. This then meant we could finally (in theory) make the Framedisplay for the American version of smash 64!

The project

Unfortunately, all this being a tedious process, nobody else has shown interest in recording the frames until lately. But now mixa and I have decided to help. Anyone else who wants to join can too!

What to do

We have organized things in a sequence:

This is a summary of our discussion on ways to do it in an efficient way.
1) Determine the character you want to record (check out who has been done so far first).

2) Count the duration of all the attacks beforehand. This can be a bit tricky because of the frame delay, so here's the standardized way to do it (assuming you do that manually): pause the game, input your move and start counting every frame advance. From the frozen position advance of N frames. On this frame, you input C (jump button) and two frames later, the character starts jumping. The final result is therefore N (assuming N is the smallest number at which the character will jump if C is input). In other words:
frame 0: pause the game, input your move
frame 1: start counting
frame 2: the move is starting (but your count is already at 2)
frame 3
frame N: input jump
frame N+1: nothing happens
frame N+2: character starts jumping

-> The number of frames for this move is N (again, assuming the character wouldn't jump at N+1 if jump is input at N-1). Hope that's clear enough.

3) Define the recording method you want to use. I will describe the Mupen's screenshots one, since it's the one I use. But there are three methods so far: Fraps (small size but not best quality), Mupen (medium quality images, but bigger file size), and printscreen (size depends on your compression settings, but the quality is generally better and the main issue I have is the slower loading speed).

4) Get into training mode 1P in mupen (you can download it here) and switch to hitbox mode. Use this table (thanks to Madao). Alternatively, mixa made a more condensed table (thanks to him). Download Cheatengine if you don't have it already. Freeze these variables at these values:

0:
Bottom BG Part 2
Bottom Flower Disabler
Bottom Flowers
Bottom Part of BG
Dream Land Pool #2
DreamLand Pool #1
Hide Platform (2 = Hidden)
Left Fence
Lower Part of BG
Middle BG
P1 Shadow Radius
P2 Shadow Radius
Player 2 Camera Zoom
Remove Bottom BG
Right Fence
Top Flower Disabler
Top Flowers
Tree Eye Disabler
Tree Mouth
Tree Mouth Disabler
Tree eyes

Number ending by either 0 or 8 (you'll have to try several, 40 worked for me, F0 worked for mixa):
Invisibility Glitch

5555:
Dream Land Wind

-10:
Player 1 Camera Zoom

1:
Player 1 HUD
Player 1 Icon over Head
Player 1 Stock Icon
Player 2 HUD
Player 2 Icon over Head
Player 2 Stock Icon
Training Mode HUD #1 to 6

8/0 (8 means hitbox mode, 0 means normal mode):
Player 1 HitBox Code

You can then savestate so you don't need to manually re-enter these settings later on.

Mixa also made a video guide for this process (thanks to him). And its explanation:

In the beginning, clicking on the little computer button in the Cheat Engine window and selecting Mupen (00001A04-mupen64-rerecording.exe, or something similar) is how you connect the game to the cheat engine.

When I selected an address, I pressed Enter to modify the Value.

Near the end I froze 4 addresses, (put red Xs on the boxes), for that I pressed Spacebar.

For the blue and pink sections:

Right-click the first address, hold shift, right-click the last address of that same color, press enter, type in the number, press enter again.

For the invincibility glitch, I put F0. That doesn't always work. You have to guess numbers (10, 20, 30, etc).

5) Run the recording script after adjusting the number of frames for your current move (x=#) computed in 2). Here's the script (thanks to Madao). Download autohotkey if you don't have it already:

SetKeyDelay, -1, -1
SetMouseDelay, -1
SetDefaultMouseSpeed, 0
#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

x = 12

k::
{
Loop, %x%
{
Send,{F12}
sleep,85
Send,\
sleep,85
}
}
return

m::reload

Adjust from the "Send, \" line the key you use to advance of one frame (replace the \ by that key).

6) Input the attack and advance of 2 frames (without launching the record key!) so that the attack is on its first frame.

7) Press the recording key ("k" if you didn't change it from the above script), all frames will be recorded in ~\mupen\ScreenShots.

8) Rename all the screenshots using a multiple file renamer (I personally use bulk rename utility). The non-hitbox images are to be renamed by numerical order (1, 2, 3, ...) and the hitbox images with a b prefix (b1, b2, b3, ...).

How to use Bulk rename utility
Select the right folder, select all files, choose a high number into "remove", add a "b" prefix if you're doing the hitbox images, choose a suffix numbering and click on "rename". You can make a script to automate these mouse clicks to one key!

9) Replace the images in the corresponding folder in the Japanese Framedisplay folder.

10) Change the names in the state file into English names of attacks and add moves and folder for new moves.
Here's mixa's (thanks to him) illustrated guide!

11) Zip the character folder and upload it somewhere, then link it here.

If someone doesn't want to do all that but still wants to help, counting the frames would already be of great help (be sure of your numbers though).

Characters

Finished !:

Yoshi: by Sangoku
Kirby: by Sangoku
Samus: by mixa
Pikachu: by Sangoku
Jigglypuff: by Sangoku
Donkey Kong: by Sangoku
Mario: by Sangoku
Link: by Sangoku
Luigi: by Sangoku
Fox: by Madao
Ness: by mixa
Captain Falcon: by Madao
Miscellanea: by mixa

Frame counting:

I will keep the frame counting done in this document. That way people know what's missing and if anyone wants to help with a few moves, it's easier to see what we need.

Other things

Let's throw here the suggestions made and other things that still need to be done:
-adding the percentage of each attack in the data.txt.
-finding better camera settings for Mario Up B.
-potentially switching from the initial Japanese program to the HTML and Java alternative.

Contributors

Main contributor, the project would never have been possible without him:
-Madao

By making the original program, which we're using as well as the basis:
-Hijiki and whoever was on this project with him.

Other contributors:
-mixa
-MCG
-Sangoku

This thread looks a bit messy because I moved posts in here.

Last edited:

Madao

I spent some time trying to figure out the best way to record frame data. I pretty much figured out most of what I should do if I decide to record this. First I set up my codes for Smash 64, like camera and hitbox. Then i wrote a AHK script that screencaps and moves to next frame. So it takes me a few seconds to get all the screenshots for a move. I even downloaded that Japanese frame display and took a look at how it works. Swapping images would be easy imo.

My only issue is the quality of the images that I record :( . It's not too bad, but the GIF's in this thread look nicer. How can I make high quality GIF's? On average, my screenshots use up ~36kb per frame, which is about 20kb less than the japanese frame display, so just using my current method, i could (i doubt I would actually do everything myself though) replace each picture and reduce the total filesize of the program by ~30%.

I tried making GIF's out of the screenshots I took. Not only did the picture quality look worse, but the filesize grew more than double too, so I'm definitely doing something wrong.

I'll be willing to at least do a few animations.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I even downloaded that Japanese frame display and took a look at how it works.
when was this? do you have a working link?

and sorry I know nothing about gifs.

Madao

when was this? do you have a working link?

and sorry I know nothing about gifs.
http://ndrive.naver.jp/shareUrl/w9WONMqg-DX5o3EJbuqA_mwv6s57q8kMt4vWcDsptHznZhHxeprXAleAFHtDwgAZCg==

Password is 1234
It's a big file, 1.23 gb.
I downloaded it yesterday and it seems pretty cool. I wish I could edit the text of the GUI. I did find a way to edit the text of the moves. I'll just have to memorize where to click for each character. I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure if I just swap pictures, it will still work. I really like how you can blend Hitbox pic with the non hitbox pic.

Only reason I like GIF's is because they seem to save space (assuming you do it right) and it's easy to play.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Wow, this is really cool.

Do you know the difference between Light and Pro?

Also, this is the first time I experienced japanese being displayed like this, I thought I had everything necessary to have it displayed normally, yours too? It's a shame, I really wanted to know how they call the attacks lol.

Is it hard to modify the attacks text? The characters follow the selection screen order from the game so it's no problem.

Madao

Wow, this is really cool.

Do you know the difference between Light and Pro?

Also, this is the first time I experienced japanese being displayed like this, I thought I had everything necessary to have it displayed normally, yours too? It's a shame, I really wanted to know how they call the attacks lol.

Is it hard to modify the attacks text? The characters follow the selection screen order from the game so it's no problem.
You just have to manually edit the state.txt file in each character folder, since it directly reads off that. I believe it also reads the total number of frames from a text file to, which is good incase some moves have a different frame length in NTSC. Lol I started editing Luigi's state.txt file then i got bored after finishing that one. I copied the original state.txt incase anything bad happens.

Then I tried seeing if I could reverse engineer the GUI text, but I couldn't figure it out. I'm not that good with assembly yet.

I think the only difference between light and pro is the user interface. I prefer using pro. I think the display is messed up because our computers probably don't have that font.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
I really appreciate what you're doing for our community Madao. I hope you can complete the framedisplay :)
Btw are the hitboxes for getting up from the ledge in there too? That would be pretty interesting

Madao

I really appreciate what you're doing for our community Madao. I hope you can complete the framedisplay :)
Btw are the hitboxes for getting up from the ledge in there too? That would be pretty interesting
I won't complete it by myself, but will gladly help other people who are interested in doing this. The frame display thing, doesn't have hitboxes for rolling or getting up from ledge. It is possible to add it in though, since the program gets it's data from a text file that you can edit.
Honestly, I need to learn more about photoshop and computer art in general before I start recording more moves. I'm not satisfied with the quality and size of my images.

I just added Fox's Forward Roll to the frame display and it works.

Well, I decided to forget about gif's. I'm just going to slowly replace the old jpn frames with NTSC. I'm glad that my picture quality is pretty good for it's size. I doubt I will upload too many, but I'll do a few for starters. I'll see if I can do 1 character in 1 day lol. I'm going to start with Fox. It's odd how being in a different position in the same level can reduce / increase the picture size.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Well, I decided to forget about gif's. I'm just going to slowly replace the old jpn frames with NTSC..
Yeah I think that's the way to go. Do you need help in the process (taking screenshots)? If you tell me how you do it, maybe we could separate the tasks among the community? Like each person does one character's whole moveset or something.

Madao

Yeah I think that's the way to go. Do you need help in the process (taking screenshots)? If you tell me how you do it, maybe we could separate the tasks among the community? Like each person does one character's whole moveset or something.
Ya, we should each do specific characters. Right now I'm just trying to make my method as efficient as possible. Just standing in a different spot makes a 20kb difference, so before we start, we should all use the same graphics settings and same screencapping method.

Right now, this is my current method. I use Mupen with Cheat Engine to do Hitbox code in Dream Land Training Mode (I like training mode's background better). Then I use a hack to turn off the training mode info like damage and stuff. After that, I count the number of frames in a move, then type that number into my hotkey script to quickly screencap and press next frame. I use fraps to screencap since the filesize is quite small compared to other methods I've used. Then I use another hotkey script to rename the files, then I just put em in the folder. So far, the only thing I added was forward roll on Fox.
You think it's worth the effort to do both forward and backward roll? Problem is that this frame display isn't even complete, so the file size will be even bigger if we add more things like edge roll, shield jump, and edge attack.

I'm just trying to tweak my method even more, to reduce filesize and have better quality images. You guys would prefer yellow Hurtbox over black right?

I also suggest that you stand in the same spot for each move. Right now, our focus should be trying to figure out how get the best results.

Do you want my Cheat Engine table for Mupen? I can upload it soon, after I find stage hacks. If I'm able to remove certain background items, the filesize will shrink even more. I also want to see if I can adjust the camera better too.

Madao

1P Free for all may be a good choice for this. Description is in the comments.
Thanks lol. At first I didn't get it, but now I think that's impressive. Do you know any stage hacks? I am interested in removing objects so that my pictures can be a smaller size. They add up because i plan on doing 2 sets of pictures for each move. Also did you download the frame display yet? It's fun to play around with.

Also does anyone know how to play hacked levels, like BtT stage in vs mode? I'm trying to figure out why certain levels crash when I try to play them. I'd like to try out final destination in training mode if possible. I'm curious to see the filesize of pics on that map.

So far, Sector Z seems to have the smallest file size out of the few levels I've tried.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
I have no clue about hacking, sorry. Maybe knitephox can help you?
I finally downloaded the framedisplay and it's pretty cool to have this tool

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
You can do single player without training mode, yesssss

Also, the glitch reminds me of the similar glitch in melee, just a bit less technical (just like this game is :troll:)

Madao

I will need some suggestions regarding the frame display.

I have 2 choices. I can either go record in Dream Land and accept that the filesizes for the pictures will be bigger, or I can record in Sector Z or an even better stage if I find one and reduce the filesize significantly.

Madao

This is interesting. When I remove the tree from background and stand on the right edge of the right platform in Dream Land, i reduce the filesize to ~20kb per picture. Would anyone want me to upload any character pics for the frame display program? I'm going to work on Fox today. I got it down to a science now. I first check how many frames a move is, then i type that number into my script that does the screen capping. So when I'm ready to screencap with fraps, I press my hotkey and it rapidly screencaps and moves to next frame. Then I run this random tool that lets me rename files. Then I just swap the old JPN pics with the new NTSC ones. It takes me about 1-2 mins per move. Only thing I might need to do is tweak graphics settings and decide what stuff to add since the frame display program doesn't have any edge recovery or anything like that.

Madao

Aight. I uploaded Fox's Up B, so that you guys can give me feedback on the image quality. I like to up my brightness, but I think I might have over did it xD. Should I lower the brightness, or is this good?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/va2eij59sub8tpu/Up Special.zip

All you do is open up fox's folder in the data folder of the SSB Frame display, put the Up Special folder inside of Fox's folder and then edit the state.txt . On the left hand side, you type in the name you want to display then type a comma and after the comma, you type in the name of the folder which is Up Special . So at the bottom of the list you can just type
Up Special,Up Special . It's up to you whether you want to delete the japanese frames or keep them.

I might end up redoing the ones I already did if I find any ways to improve them.

B Link

Smash Lord
Really cool, see how fox has invincibility frames in the beginning in the *** version? Some people might think that CARRIES OVER to the US version, but it doesn't. So we really need to do this for all moves if we can (well, at least the ones that differ from the *** version).

Also, I'm not sure if you started it 1 frame later than the *** version or if it's a difference in startup time.

Madao

The quality is pretty good, better than the jp one. Why the black outline though?
That's how the emulator is. If it crop the image to get rid of the black outline, it won't be 640x480 anyway. The frame display isn't resizable so if I crop it, you will see white in the bottom right corner.

You try out my cheat engine table yet? It should help for a lot of things.

Really cool, see how fox has invincibility frames in the beginning in the *** version? Some people might think that CARRIES OVER to the US version, but it doesn't. So we really need to do this for all moves if we can (well, at least the ones that differ from the *** version).

Also, I'm not sure if you started it 1 frame later than the *** version or if it's a difference in startup time.

I start recording at the very start of the move itself, so I think it's just my method of timing. I can see a frame counter since I found the address in cheat engine, so i know when a move starts. I'll double check incase it starts at 0 instead of 1 though lol.

Lol I just went and checked JP version and you're right about there being invincibility in Fox's Up B.

Also what's cool about the frame display is that you can add notes to each attack. I plan on at least posting the frame number that aerial attacks start the auto cancel.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
The pictures you uploaded are way better than the jpn ones. 1-2 minuts per move? that's super fast.
it would be good to have every edgerecovery:
-pressing up at 0%
-pressing up at 100%
-pressing z at 0%
-pressing z at 100%
-pressing a at 0%
-pressing a at 100%

EDIT: i changed the pictures with the jpn ones and it worked! but i don't know how to change the characters names before picking the attack i want to see

Madao

The pictures you uploaded are way better than the jpn ones. 1-2 minuts per move? that's super fast.
it would be good to have every edgerecovery:
-pressing up at 0%
-pressing up at 100%
-pressing z at 0%
-pressing z at 100%
-pressing a at 0%
-pressing a at 100%

EDIT: i changed the pictures with the jpn ones and it worked! but i don't know how to change the characters names before picking the attack i want to see
Lol, idk if I'll be able to do certain moves because I'm using a controller that only has a D-pad. Ya I'm broke lol and good usb controllers aren't cheap. Someone else can do those moves though :) . It's more like 2-3 mins per move just because of human error.

I couldn't figure out how to change character names, unfortunately. I will try again this week to see if learning Win Api can help me with the text issues. I hate how some of the japanese text doesn't even display properly, so it looks all messy lol. I'll prolly finish Fox in a day from now, maybe 2 days if I find new stuff that's important towards recording. I would have finished him already, but I was exploring stage data and doing other stuff, so now I can remove more background stuff, and I zoomed in a bit more, so I'm going to redo the ones I did lol. Now I just got to plan where to position each attack and also find out how to deal with the controller situation. My guess is to try out N-Rage.

I also plan on including throws since it has invincibility frames. I doubt I'm going to do every character by myself though, so I hope someone else is willing to contribute.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
Lol, idk if I'll be able to do certain moves because I'm using a controller that only has a D-pad. Ya I'm broke lol and good usb controllers aren't cheap. Someone else can do those moves though :) . It's more like 2-3 mins per move just because of human error.

I couldn't figure out how to change character names, unfortunately. I will try again this week to see if learning Win Api can help me with the text issues. I hate how some of the japanese text doesn't even display properly, so it looks all messy lol. I'll prolly finish Fox in a day from now, maybe 2 days if I find new stuff that's important towards recording. I would have finished him already, but I was exploring stage data and doing other stuff, so now I can remove more background stuff, and I zoomed in a bit more, so I'm going to redo the ones I did lol. Now I just got to plan where to position each attack and also find out how to deal with the controller situation. My guess is to try out N-Rage.

I also plan on including throws since it has invincibility frames. I doubt I'm going to do every character by myself though, so I hope someone else is willing to contribute.
Well maybe changing the range would help you making tilts/smashes?
I also think it'd be better to have the full animation of Fox' UP-B with the landing lag to see how many frames are needed to make an actions afterwards. Correct me if I'm wrong :p

Actually throws could be pretty interesting too. Then we would have EVERYTHING except the teching animations and the get-up animations from the ground

Samus' fully charged shot's Hitbox is kinda tiny :O

Madao

Well maybe changing the range would help you making tilts/smashes?
I also think it'd be better to have the full animation of Fox' UP-B with the landing lag to see how many frames are needed to make an actions afterwards. Correct me if I'm wrong :p

Actually throws could be pretty interesting too. Then we would have EVERYTHING except the teching animations and the get-up animations from the ground

Samus' fully charged shot's Hitbox is kinda tiny :O
Ya, that was the idea i had in mind, regarding those middle upper and middle lower tilts.

Lol a few hours ago, i just redid up B ;/ . You're right though, so I'll redo it again. Turns out it takes more than 2-3 mins because of the frame counting I have to do to make sure i get it right, as well as positioning the camera correctly and switching between hitbox mode and regular mode. It's quick if you know exactly how you want to position yourself though. Once I find more frame counter variables, I'll do it even faster though.

Let's do it all together! Who wants to do what char? I'll take Yoshi.

Can you tell us the detailed process?
Sure, I'm doing Fox's moves today. First it will take a bit of time, to get used to this though. Basically for my setup I use Mupen, Cheat Engine, Fraps (for screencapping), Auto Hotkey (I made a script to screencap and move frames fast), and this random tool called Mass File Renamer (need this because you have to use the same names for your pictures). First you need to understand how to manipulate the camera and get used to my giant cheat engine table I made for Mupen. You will need to know the exact amount of frames to record and the positioning you want to do. Also you may want to remove unnecesary things like the training mode HUD, as well as the player and stock icons, and also certain background stuff. Simply removing the tree saved me quite a few kb per picture. I even made player 2 invisible so that when player 2 is offscreen, you won't get that annoying circle thing showing the character. Also I think it would be funny to record myself throwing an invisible person xD.

For video settings, I use Jabo's Direct 3D8 1.6. 118% brightness, 16x Anisotropic Filtering, Super2xSal Textures checked, Always use texture filter checked, in advanced settings, all boxes are unchecked, and in rom settings Direct3D Clear Mode = Always.

I try to strive for the smallest kb per picture, although I don't completely get rid of the background.
Also I prefer to use training mode because 1, I like the background better, and 2 it's faster to switch between Hitbox Mode and Regular. I didn't find the real hitbox code, I simply found out (somewhat) how the glitch works. So you're still limited to only 1 character having the hitbox mode on and it has the be the 2nd last player. So if you are playing 3 players, only player 2 can do it, (unless you guys figure out something I didn't know yet). Also I couldn't get the hitbox glitch to work in VS Mode, it seems to freeze the game but I didn't try too long so I can't say it's impossible. 1 Player Mode works fine though, because I have the addresses for making players appear. You could also do 4 players in training mode, although it seems to lag for me, but it could just be my computer.

Now for the Hitbox glitch, what you have to do is first figure out the value of the address that I labeled as Hitbox glitch for the Player # you want, then after you find that number freeze that value - 8. So if for player one, the value is 78, then I freeze 70 and it seems to not be buggy. You have to freeze this number before you load a match. In training mode, you can use reset to switch though.

If you want to mess with the player appear code, the left number is whether they appear and who controls them, and the right number is which character. So if I do training mode as Player 1 with Fox, the value will be 0001, (00 = Appear as Human) (01 is Fox's value). For the left value 00 = Human, 01 = Cpu, 02 = not appear.

There's a lot of stuff I probably forgot to post, so you'll probably have to ask more questions once you set up.

Here's the table. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhtpvvttdloloql/Smash Bros 64 Mupen.CT?m

Sangoku

Smash Master
Ya, that was the idea i had in mind, regarding those middle upper and middle lower tilts.

Lol a few hours ago, i just redid up B ;/ . You're right though, so I'll redo it again. Turns out it takes more than 2-3 mins because of the frame counting I have to do to make sure i get it right, as well as positioning the camera correctly and switching between hitbox mode and regular mode. It's quick if you know exactly how you want to position yourself though. Once I find more frame counter variables, I'll do it even faster though.

Sure, I'm doing Fox's moves today. First it will take a bit of time, to get used to this though. Basically for my setup I use Mupen, Cheat Engine, Fraps (for screencapping), Auto Hotkey (I made a script to screencap and move frames fast), and this random tool called Mass File Renamer (need this because you have to use the same names for your pictures). First you need to understand how to manipulate the camera and get used to my giant cheat engine table I made for Mupen. You will need to know the exact amount of frames to record and the positioning you want to do. Also you may want to remove unnecesary things like the training mode HUD, as well as the player and stock icons, and also certain background stuff. Simply removing the tree saved me quite a few kb per picture. I even made player 2 invisible so that when player 2 is offscreen, you won't get that annoying circle thing showing the character. Also I think it would be funny to record myself throwing an invisible person xD.

For video settings, I use Jabo's Direct 3D8 1.6. 118% brightness, 16x Anisotropic Filtering, Super2xSal Textures checked, Always use texture filter checked, in advanced settings, all boxes are unchecked, and in rom settings Direct3D Clear Mode = Always.

I try to strive for the smallest kb per picture, although I don't completely get rid of the background.
Also I prefer to use training mode because 1, I like the background better, and 2 it's faster to switch between Hitbox Mode and Regular. I didn't find the real hitbox code, I simply found out (somewhat) how the glitch works. So you're still limited to only 1 character having the hitbox mode on and it has the be the 2nd last player. So if you are playing 3 players, only player 2 can do it, (unless you guys figure out something I didn't know yet). Also I couldn't get the hitbox glitch to work in VS Mode, it seems to freeze the game but I didn't try too long so I can't say it's impossible. 1 Player Mode works fine though, because I have the addresses for making players appear. You could also do 4 players in training mode, although it seems to lag for me, but it could just be my computer.

Now for the Hitbox glitch, what you have to do is first figure out the value of the address that I labeled as Hitbox glitch for the Player # you want, then after you find that number freeze that value - 8. So if for player one, the value is 78, then I freeze 70 and it seems to not be buggy. You have to freeze this number before you load a match. In training mode, you can use reset to switch though.

If you want to mess with the player appear code, the left number is whether they appear and who controls them, and the right number is which character. So if I do training mode as Player 1 with Fox, the value will be 0001, (00 = Appear as Human) (01 is Fox's value). For the left value 00 = Human, 01 = Cpu, 02 = not appear.

There's a lot of stuff I probably forgot to post, so you'll probably have to ask more questions once you set up.

Here's the table. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhtpvvttdloloql/Smash Bros 64 Mupen.CT?m
Wow thanks for the table, lots of stuff in there!

I've got a few questions though (as you expected).

1) Concerning the recording process, why don't you use Mupen's inbuilt screenshot function? You could use the script to alternate between F12 (screenshot hotkey) and Frame advance hotkey, wouldn't it be better than filming with fraps?

2) How do I remove elements of the stage? For example I see "Dreamland tree" as a 2-byte value of 121, do I need to change that value to make it disappear? If yes, what should I change it to? And how do you freeze a value? Some would reset after some times. edit: Is it by ticking the box on the left?

3) Concerning the hitbox glitch, you say I need to figure out the value of the address, but how? I see "HitBox Glitch (Player 1)" being a byte value of 00.

Wow thanks to you I could confirm all the old myths! Hyrule's right side is slanted and the top of the tent is lower than the middle lower platform!

Madao

Wow thanks for the table, lots of stuff in there!

I've got a few questions though (as you expected).

1) Concerning the recording process, why don't you use Mupen's inbuilt screenshot function? You could use the script to alternate between F12 (screenshot hotkey) and Frame advance hotkey, wouldn't it be better than filming with fraps?

2) How do I remove elements of the stage? For example I see "Dreamland tree" as a 2-byte value of 121, do I need to change that value to make it disappear? If yes, what should I change it to? And how do you freeze a value? Some would reset after some times.

3) Concerning the hitbox glitch, you say I need to figure out the value of the address, but how? I see "HitBox Glitch (Player 1)" being a byte value of 00.
Mupens filesize for pictures are like 200+ kb per pic. I mean it's fine if you don't care about filesize. My net is slow so I'd rather save as much space as possible, of course without compromising image quality.

Ya sorry, some of my labels are confusing. The dreamland wind and dream land tree are timers. If u freeze those, you can stop the wind from blowing (the wind blows when the dream land wind variable reaches 0), and if u freeze dream land tree, then you stop the tree from moving around. I put all the background stuff together which is at the bottom of the list. For the HUD related stuff, 1 = off, 0 = on. For the background stuff for stage, you can just make the values = 0. For my pics I put 0 for everything stage related except for the dreamland platform which has a default value of 00010000.

Hmm, what stage are you playing on and who are the characters for each player? I'm not sure if i've seen 0 before, but all the glitch requires is that you mess up the number and freeze a value it's not supposed to have. I used to do +40 or -40, but -8 is a lot less buggier, just try adding by 8's. so for example try 08 then 10 then 18 then 20, etc.

Also for the lols, I put shadow radius as 0 to remove my shadow. For making player 2 invisible, you just got to mess with that invisibility glitch address. I usually add or subtract by 50 or 60. It would also be a good idea to mess with the camera zoom, to get a better view. Like I zoomed out a bit when recording fox's laser so that it shows more of the laser.

Oh also, when it comes to freezing values, I edited cheat engines options to make things work better. Open up cheat engine, go to edit and click on settings. I made update interval really low, so that I can see values update quicker. Then I also made freeze interval 10ms so that it freezes better. Now you won't ever need gameshark xD. Well, making a table for PJ64 would be a hassle though, since the addresses aren't static, while Mupen and Nemu have static addresses. You would have to change the offsets for your PJ64 table everytime you restart your computer.

Also, for certain moves that are long, frame counter won't be reliable so for those, I use both frame counter and aerial flag counter. What happens is for certain moves, the frame counter goes back to 0 while the move is still going on, so at the start of the move, I set aerial flag frame counter to 1. You'll know when the frames are done when the frame counter goes to 0 after the move is over.

I don't know too much about the Aerial flag, but i know certain Up B attacks, change physics (like Link for example). The Aerial Flag counter is also used for Z canceling and teching. If you freeze the counter to any number below 11, you will always Z cancel. It's kinda interesting to do it to the cpu xD. I use the Aerial Flag to know when moves auto cancel as well. When the Aerial Flag goes back to 0, thats when the auto cancel begins. I wish Ant D could update his table because quite a few of the numbers are wrong. Don't rely on his chart for frame counting at all.

For anyone willing to record moves, I suggest you do all the frame counting before recording. It saves time that way. Also know the camera settings and position to use ahead of time.

Edit: Ya, you click the box to freeze a value. Red X means it's frozen, blank means it's not frozen. You can use spacebar to toggle it too if you want.

I wish I tripple checked on what B Link said. He was right that I started 1 frame later. I checked to make sure I started at the right frame, which I confirmed I did. I guess the way my script works is it starts recording the 2nd frame -___- . I was halfway done with Fox, so now I gotta start all over again. When I tried screen capping using mupen, it would just record a black screen. Now I know to record 1 frame ahead of time.

Madao

Well I kept my word and finished Fox today!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnw632ng7vv2g7a/fox.zip?m

Hope you guys enjoy. I rushed it tbh, because I was sick of doing it. So let me know if I made any mistakes this time. Especially pay attention to the forward middle tilts. I made too many errors and had to deal with some issues like not being able to use Forward Middle Up Tilt and Forward Middle Down Tilt. I had to make a move swap hack after spending almost an hour trying to mess with input settings, just so I could do the middle tilts. Then I noticed a few of the moves weren't synched so I had to redo those too.

At least now I've learned a few things xD. Here's my updated method. I timed myself and did 1 move in 2 mins and 6 seconds :) . So I first count the frames of every move and write them down. Then I set up 2 save states with all the background stuff and all the other variables set to what I want them to be, so that I can toggle between hitbox mode and regular mode almost instantly. Then I had my file renamer, fraps, and hotkey script set up and I was recording pretty fast. If you're good at this, it will take anywhere from 2-3 hours per character if you don't run into problems and know what you're doing. I won't be doing any more characters for a while. I need a break ;/. I'll be willing to help anyone though.

All you do is drag the fox folder into the data folder. You can decide whether to back up the japanese fox one if you ever wish to compare the 2 versions. The Japanese guy might have timed a few moves a bit differently than the way I did though. I know he did an extra frame for the running attack. I'm pleased with the shrunken file size :) .

Edit: I guess I forgot a few things like Get Up Attack and ducking ;/ . I'll do those tomorrow I guess.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
pretty cool you ALMOST completed Fox! :D 35mb per character? so we have around 420mb for everything. i'll try it, whenI'm back home. So excited <3

Sangoku

Smash Master
Ya sorry, some of my labels are confusing. The dreamland wind and dream land tree are timers. If u freeze those, you can stop the wind from blowing (the wind blows when the dream land wind variable reaches 0), and if u freeze dream land tree, then you stop the tree from moving around. I put all the background stuff together which is at the bottom of the list. For the HUD related stuff, 1 = off, 0 = on. For the background stuff for stage, you can just make the values = 0. For my pics I put 0 for everything stage related except for the dreamland platform which has a default value of 00010000.
I changed everything to 0 and the only change was the character's shadow disappearing. All the other variables don't change.

Hmm, what stage are you playing on and who are the characters for each player? I'm not sure if i've seen 0 before, but all the glitch requires is that you mess up the number and freeze a value it's not supposed to have. I used to do +40 or -40, but -8 is a lot less buggier, just try adding by 8's. so for example try 08 then 10 then 18 then 20, etc.
I was Yoshi in vs mode. Now I tried Yoshi in training mode and the value is 78. Again the problem is nothing happens when I change that value (I've tried a lot of values).

With invisibility glitch, whatever I do freezes the game.

Madao

pretty cool you ALMOST completed Fox! :D 35mb per character? so we have around 420mb for everything. i'll try it, whenI'm back home. So excited <3
Unfortunately it's actually 52.6 mb, zip compression just works well for pictures I guess.

I changed everything to 0 and the only change was the character's shadow disappearing. All the other variables don't change.
Well the stage stuff was only for training mode Dreamland. I didn't find the pointers yet. I'll see if I can find the pointers right now, so that the BG stuff will work for all stages. The only stage hack that I found the pointer for is Middle BG, so that one should work in other training mode levels.

I was Yoshi in vs mode. Now I tried Yoshi in training mode and the value is 78. Again the problem is nothing happens when I change that value (I've tried a lot of values).

With invisibility glitch, whatever I do freezes the game.
Well I haven't tested VS mode enough. I just know 1 Player Mode and Training Mode work fine. If you see 78, set it to 70 and make sure the box has a red X. The Hitbox glitch only works if you freeze the value before loading a level, although reseting in training mode works too. Also for the Hitbox glitch, it only works on the 2nd last character, so in 2 players, only player 1, in 3 players then only player 2 can do it, etc.

Invisibility is a tricky one too. Only try numbers that end in 8 or 0.

Do you have any specific stages in mind, that you want to alter the Background for? Some addresses might be stage specific, so let me know.

Edit: I was wrong about changing the invisiblity glitch value by 50. That was just a coincidence. I just tried it on Yoshi's level in training mode and I changed it from 40 to 50 and it works. I was using Captain Falcon for both player 1 and player 2.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Unfortunately it's actually 52.6 mb, zip compression just works well for pictures I guess.

Well the stage stuff was only for training mode Dreamland. I didn't find the pointers yet. I'll see if I can find the pointers right now, so that the BG stuff will work for all stages. The only stage hack that I found the pointer for is Middle BG, so that one should work in other training mode levels.

Well I haven't tested VS mode enough. I just know 1 Player Mode and Training Mode work fine. If you see 78, set it to 70 and make sure the box has a red X. The Hitbox glitch only works if you freeze the value before loading a level, although reseting in training mode works too. Also for the Hitbox glitch, it only works on the 2nd last character, so in 2 players, only player 1, in 3 players then only player 2 can do it, etc.

Invisibility is a tricky one too. Only try numbers that end in 8 or 0.

Do you have any specific stages in mind, that you want to alter the Background for? Some addresses might be stage specific, so let me know.

Edit: I was wrong about changing the invisiblity glitch value by 50. That was just a coincidence. I just tried it on Yoshi's level in training mode and I changed it from 40 to 50 and it works. I was using Captain Falcon for both player 1 and player 2.
Oh yeah resetting in training mode did the trick for hitbox mode.

Invisibility worked with 40.

Concerning the Dreamland background, I forgot to freeze the values, that's why there was no change. Now some elements go away, but others stay, such as the whole tree background (only his eyes and mouth left). The path on the ground and other stuff are still here as well. Basically the only thing that left is what is in front of the character (between the character and the camera).

Madao

Oh yeah resetting in training mode did the trick for hitbox mode.

Invisibility worked with 40.

Concerning the Dreamland background, I forgot to freeze the values, that's why there was no change. Now some elements go away, but others stay, such as the whole tree background (only his eyes and mouth left). The path on the ground and other stuff are still here as well. Basically the only thing that left is what is in front of the character (between the character and the camera).
I don't know how to actually remove objects, I only know visual changes. For the tree eyes and nose, you have to first change the disabler values. Lol wat I do is I'll shift click so that it highlights every variable in between the ones you select, so you can change a bunch of variables to 0 at the same time. You could also freeze/unfreeze many variables at once as well. It's a nice time saver.

I will probably look at stage data next. When I get back to recording moves, which character would you guys suggest I do first? I'm going to do my favorite characters first, so pick between Ness, Link, and Pikachu. I also like Captain Falcon, but I'm going to wait until I find out how to remove the fire so that I can get a clearer view of his hitboxes for falcon punch and kick.

You guys mess with the player codes yet lol? You can control 2 characters with the same controller if you wanted. Or make the Cpu become a human player.

Also, can you guys tell me what you know about Hitstun? I want to take a look at the in game code. I need some clues.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Okay, I'm getting closer to a good result.

Only problem left is "Bottom BG" and "Bottom BG Part 2", if I put at least one of them to 0, the thing doesn't disappear, but rotates from 90° in a vertical axis, which makes it less visible, but still annoying. Anyway, from the top platform it's not visible so I guess I can keep it that way.

Also, what camera value did you use?

Even if p2 is invisible there's still his shadow, how do you remove it?

By the way, that whole cheat table is gold, never again am I going to play a CPU that doesn't z-cancel/tech.

B Link

Smash Lord
Well, it looks like Isai was deadly accurate in his list of regional differences for Fox. So I'm going to infer that we don't really need all the moves for every char (unless you want to double check just in case).

It was really cool seeing the getup attacks/movement and the throw hitboxes+invincibility frames. You're still missing the "ground get-up" attack though (i.e. after you get hit).

List of differences:

Mario: Little shorter, lower up B, fireball has more stun but is 1% weaker, fireball goes farther, shorter roll
Luigi: higher jump and double jump, little shorter, lower up b, fireball has more stun but is 1% weaker, up b sends opponent a tad higher and makes opponent fly up and more to the side, fireball goes farther, shorter roll, forward throw is 12% back is 16% LOL in our version it's 16% forward 12% back, forward throw sends opponent farther and back throw sends opponent not as far LOL
Fox: Down tilt is 2% weaker, Up B has invincible frames in the beginning, is 3% weaker, and knocks opponent way more horizontally, can do special japanese only turn slide, laser is 1% weaker but knocks opponent back farther, down smash knocks opponent away much more vertically, reflected attacks do different amount of damage, reflector pushes opponent away faster and down-away more by 2 frames
Kirby: forward throw knocks opponent away more horizontally, up b goes a little higher, can do special japanese only turn slide, down smash/up smash are 2% stronger, up air is 2% stronger for beginning of attack, 1% stronger hitting a little after you've started it, same strength for ending of the attack, down B is 2% stronger, roll is a tad longer.
Pikachu: Pikachu B spark goes farther, forward smash has shorter hitbox, dash attack has less knock back.
Link: Up tilt is 5% stronger/down air 2% stronger/up smash 2% stronger total(goes 8-12-24), higher jump/double jump/up b, boomerang goes farther, bomb doesn't make opponent flip over unless they are at higher damage, his sword looks a little longer, I think his up b/forward air does 1% more damage in combos sometimes, bomb is 2% stronger from every angle except only 1% stronger when thrown from above the opponent, nair doesn't knock the opponent away as far but a little more downwards, first kick of bair is 1 frame faster and second kick sends opponent more downwards and away
Yoshi: little higher first jump, travels more slowly through the air horizontally, down smash is 1% weaker, can do special japanese only turn slide
Jiggly: down B is 6% weaker, can do special japanese only turn slide, down smash has shorter hitbox
Falcon: Higher jump/double jump/up B, forward tilt is 1% stronger, runs slower
DK: can do japanese only special turn slide
Ness: less lag after landing with up B body attack, up B body attack hitbox lasts longer and is 5% stronger, up tilt is 1% stronger but makes the opponent fly lower, up air is 2% stronger, fire B attack is 9% weaker total, all smash attacks are 2% stronger
Samus: when standing next to tall characters and facing them, up smash only hits with one attack. in the american version up smash hits with the first two attacks in that situation

Maybe you could just do the above moves that are different in the US version (e.g. Jiggly Down Smash, Ness UpB body attack), as well as the ones they didn't include in Frame Display (e.g. ledge get up attacks, throws etc.)

Madao

Okay, I'm getting closer to a good result.

Only problem left is "Bottom BG" and "Bottom BG Part 2", if I put at least one of them to 0, the thing doesn't disappear, but rotates from 90° in a vertical axis, which makes it less visible, but still annoying. Anyway, from the top platform it's not visible so I guess I can keep it that way.

Also, what camera value did you use?

Even if p2 is invisible there's still his shadow, how do you remove it?

By the way, that whole cheat table is gold, never again am I going to play a CPU that doesn't z-cancel/tech.
Lol I was lazy and just picked the same character for player 2 xD. If multiple people are the same character, there will only be one set of addresses for that character's stats. So if both player 1 and player 2 are the same character, they will share the same stats. So if you increase Player 1's jump, and both players are Link, both will jump high. Today I can add a few more addresses, like stage stuff and player 2 shadow. I now remember why I didn't add everything. It's because I didn't want my table to be too long lol. So it turns out that some of those addresses I added don't make it invisible, but simply make it 2d. I pretty much know the basic structure, but I'll have to write down all the offsets that I know of so that anyone can edit the stages to make the level appear however they want it. Like right now I just make the platforms look bigger. I'll see if I can get some pointer addresses, although labeling them, would be harder since it would effect different objects in different levels. What parts of the stage are you trying to get rid of, that you were unable to? I thought people prefered some background stuff, so I left the platform and the road visible. If you're refering to the bottom bg one, I just recorded on the right side of the level xD. I suggest you check out the stage structure in memory and mess around with it. You will see a lot of 0's and 1's. Those affect how the stage looks. If you want to totally get rid of the bottom BG, add 00B67400 as 1 Byte Variable and change it from 1 to 0. Notice it's 8 bytes to the right of bottom bg. I find interesting stuff, just my filling in numbers in random places in memory xD.

Btw the offset for Mupen is 7F714580. If you add that number to any of the addresses you see in the mupen table, you will get the N64 address. Although for 1 byte and 2 byte variables, the byte ordering will be different on N64. This way, you can convert addresses to make gameshark codes, or get addresses from people's gameshark codes. I learned quite a bit from other people's gameshark codes. I love how I often find things when I'm not looking for it. I spent a while trying to figure out the mechanics behind Z canceling, then I randomly find it after messing around and hacking Link's Up B.

If you want a more detailed explanation on converting addresses, let me know. Also, can you tell me what you know about hit stun? I'm interested in learning the formula for it. Even if you post the numbers for certain situations, I could ram search and find the data. Like if you did 15 damage in your last hit, you can search 15 and find the area that stores the damage of the last hit.

For camera stuff, you just got to mess around with the numbers beacause it really depends how you want to view it. My main settings are -10 for player 1 and 0 for player 2. When I wanted a different view, for things like Fox's laser, I changed some numbers around. It's good to try out different things so that you know the best settings for any scenario.

Well, it looks like Isai was deadly accurate in his list of regional differences for Fox. So I'm going to infer that we don't really need all the moves for every char (unless you want to double check just in case).
Link: Up tilt is 5% stronger/down air 2% stronger/up smash 2% stronger total(goes 8-12-24), higher jump/double jump/up b, boomerang goes farther, bomb doesn't make opponent flip over unless they are at higher damage, his sword looks a little longer, I think his up b/forward air does 1% more damage in combos sometimes, bomb is 2% stronger from every angle except only 1% stronger when thrown from above the opponent, nair doesn't knock the opponent away as far but a little more downwards, first kick of bair is 1 frame faster and second kick sends opponent more downwards and away
Yoshi: little higher first jump, travels more slowly through the air horizontally, down smash is 1% weaker, can do special japanese only turn slide
Jiggly: down B is 6% weaker, can do special japanese only turn slide, down smash has shorter hitbox
Falcon: Higher jump/double jump/up B, forward tilt is 1% stronger, runs slower
DK: can do japanese only special turn slide
Ness: less lag after landing with up B body attack, up B body attack hitbox lasts longer and is 5% stronger, up tilt is 1% stronger but makes the opponent fly lower, up air is 2% stronger, fire B attack is 9% weaker total, all smash attacks are 2% stronger
Samus: when standing next to tall characters and facing them, up smash only hits with one attack. in the american version up smash hits with the first two attacks in that situation

Maybe you could just do the above moves that are different in the US version (e.g. Jiggly Down Smash, Ness UpB body attack), as well as the ones they didn't include in Frame Display (e.g. ledge get up attacks, throws etc.)
Problem is, I don't think we know enough about the version differences. I'll work on the things I missed like get up attack, I just need to figure out the best way to do it. I'm guessing I could bomb myself in training mode. The thing is, I tried copy and pasting the japanese data into Toomai's giant moveset spreadsheet, and it glitched out unfortunately. I think I could record faster than the time it would take for me to find out the difference between the 2 versions. Yoshi has the same jumping stats for NTSC and JPN, except his fall speed acceleration is slightly higher in NTSC, so that means both of his jumps should be higher in JPN.

There's just too many obscure differences imo. Plus if we complete the NTSC, we could always compare the 2 versions if you keep the japanese frames.

I can try copying and pasting the japanese moveset data again, but I'll prolly skip the things I don't need like item stuff. I'll have to also see if the formulas are different, because I don't know why it bugged out. I did paste it all at once, instead of move by move though.
So what I'll do today is explore stage data, finish Fox, and see if I can map out the japanese data for movesets. After I finish Fox, I'm going to take a break from recording for a while.

Sangoku

Smash Master
This is all I got from my empirical testing during the past:

7.2 Hitstun

If anyone knows the formula, I could add it... If nobody does, maybe we can try to figure it out, after some raw testing. If it turns out to be as complicated as the knockback formula, I doubt we'll ever find it by ourselves.
Here are my drafts if it could help somehow:
FP hitstun on DK (0,84)​
0->24-----50​
1->25-----51​
2->26-----52​
10->34----60​
20->44----70​
21->45----71​
22->46----71​
23->47----72​
25->49----74​
30->54----79​
40->64----89​
50->74----99​
100->124----147​
FP hitstun on jiggly (1,3)​
0->24----63​
1->25----65​
2->26----66​
10->34----79​
100-> 124----215​
FP hitstun on Mario (1)​
0->24----55​
1->25----56​
10->34----67​
So the hitstun formula is probably knockback*c, where c is some constant.

The problem is that we don't know any "s" and "b" from the knockback formula. We cannot compute any knockback to compare it to the hitstun (and thus determining the constant). What I did was finding hitstun of a fixed knockback move (DK's down B) on different characters (ie different weights). By doing that, I figured some value for s and b (they weren't exact, but if we somewhat round off it came out correct). That means I applied the knockback formula for hitstun and it kinda worked. Therefore, I'm thinking these s and b I found are in fact some s' and b', where s'=s*c and b'=b*c. We can then factor out c and we get knockback*c.

If anybody has a better idea/another way to find something...
Then Toomai's reply:
DK's Hand Slap has a base knockback of 0, a knockback scaling of 100, and a fixed knockback value of 150. As a result, by using the formula:
  • Knockback on DK: 107.376
  • Knockback on Samus: 115.888
  • Knockback on Yoshi: 116.952
  • Knockback on Link/Falcon: 120.144
  • Knockback on Mario/Luigi/Fox: 124.4
  • Knockback on Ness: 135.04
  • Knockback on Pikachu: 141.424
  • Knockback on Kirby: 144.616
  • Knockback on Jigglypuff: 156.32
That's all I know. By re-reading it, it seems I could have found those constants since Toomai gave me the s and b...

Could you send your scripts? I might start recording moves if I can use them.

Top Bottom