• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Project M only, anything else is untested

Project Clone will aim to alter the Project M roster with tweaks to attributes, move damage, move trajectory, and so-on.
At most, a given character in this mod will only alter one attack animation, but change most of their offense collision properties and attributes to make them feel different enough.
Animations that do not alter gameplay, such as taunting, idle, or victory animations may be altered.
This is using Project M 3.61 CC as a base, and will eventually feature edited versions of the likes of Isaac, Knuckles, Lyn, and Sami. Don't hold your breath on any of those, though.
Characters will be developed in the order they were added to Super Smash Bros and roster placement, to give an idea of what this means, here are the first 13 characters I plan to edit.
In order: Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, and Bowser.
Stages may go unedited, but if they are going to be I would only want to add home stages for those lacking. At this point, no character is without a home stage.
I cannot do this alone, so any help is appreciated.
Things I would LOVE help with
>vertex hacking
I think that covers things, but feel free to ask anything.

Download:

This thread should be locked soon, go see https://smashboards.com/threads/placebo-workshop.441126/ if you want to keep up with my work. The clones aren't quite over

Last edited:

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
I just realzed I forgot to make a CSS icon with PM's bluish purple instead of violet
I added your Metal Mario to my PM:EX, and I gotta say I like him a lot.

I did do a few minor adjustments, personally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmRQ1cgrsxw

I look forward to more clones from you. :)
Mind tossing me the image file for that? I noticed you made a pretty good looking CSSI

Also in general your build has some erotic costumes and I'm rather curious what you edited in regards to damage and trajectories

Last edited:

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
I just realzed I forgot to make a CSS icon with PM's bluish purple instead of violet

Mind tossing me the image file for that? I noticed you made a pretty good looking CSSI

Also in general your build has some erotic costumes and I'm rather curious what you edited in regards to damage and trajectories
I'm not good with patch notes, but i made up tilt, down tilt, up air, and down smash have a 90 degree angle, and forward air goes a bit more to the side, I think 300 degrees/tragectory. I slowed down some animations, and added some hitlag to some moves.

As you can tell, i also edited the weight and speed. He was too heavy (lol), he was a little to easy to get knocked off without a chance of survival. But either way I'm still experimenting on weight, i might just put it back to normal.

Last edited:

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
I'm not good with patch notes, but i made up tilt, down tilt, up air, and down smash have a 90 degree angle, and forward air goes a bit more to the side, I think 300 degrees. I slowed down some animations, and added some hitlag to some moves.

As you can tell, i also edited the weight and speed. He was too heavy (lol), he was a little to easy to get knocked off without a chance of survival. But either way I'm still experimenting on weight, i might just put it back to normal.
The weight and gravity he was at is identical to what it is if PM Mario uses a metal box. If you could PM me your version of the PSA and your recolors of the default costume I could implement parts of the PSA and those reflective recolors in the main version.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
The weight and gravity he was at is identical to what it is if PM Mario uses a metal box. If you could PM me your version of the PSA and your recolors of the default costume I could implement parts of the PSA and those reflective recolors in the main version.
I understood the literal reason for the weight, but felt it was too much for a character that is Metal 100% of the time VS characters that would turn metal for like 10 seconds.

And sure, I also just finished making him an entry animation.

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
I understood the literal reason for the weight, but felt it was too much for a character that is Metal 100% of the time VS characters that would turn metal for like 10 seconds.

And sure, I also just finished making him an entry animation.
You make a fair point about the weight, maybe It'd be better to have it double Mario's than triple
Edit: decided on the weight his edit has, which is 250 as opposed to the original 300
And what does this entry animation consist of? I saw the red pipe in the video but I take it you mean something else?

Last edited:

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
You make a fair point about the weight, maybe It'd be better to have it double Mario's than triple
And what does this entry animation consist of? I saw the red pipe in the video but I take it you mean something else?
Yeah, the new entry is completely different. Its from Melee when you encounter him in the Adventure mode. Red Pipe was there and then I thought of something better.

EDIT: Here's a GIF I made.
http://imgur.com/onlWNai

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
metaknight120 metaknight120 , The issue you mentioned about your sound files coming out too large is actually really easily fixable. You need to export twice in SuperSawndz, it does a weird thing where it doubles the size of your file if you only export once (see here). Also be sure to match the bitrates of the sound effects you're replacing, that can mess up your file sizes as well.

Last edited:

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
metaknight120 metaknight120 , The issue you mentioned about your sound files coming out too large is actually really easily fixable. You need to export twice in SuperSawndz, it does a weird thing where it doubles the size of your file if you only export once (see here). Also be sure to match the bitrates of the sound effects you're replacing, that can mess up your file sizes as well.
I tried exporting several times
The more likely problem is bitrates since I was using uncompressed voiceclips from a Wii U game.

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
I had an idea for Metal Mario's moves.

What if he was given Mario's smash 64 moves? His fair for instance is a spinning version of his bair and his f-smash is a large punch.

Last edited:

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Metal 2.1 is out now, all that's left is voices and Kirby hat, the latter of which I'm willing to ignore for now
I have recently encountered someone outside of Smashboards who is willing to help the project to roughly the same degree I have been working on it, which means I will actually add in an extra poll to decide the next character: Link's clone.
You might be asking "well just how long is the Link poll gonna last? What will you work on during that?"
I figured since a future character only really has one direction to go with a clone and consequentially will need no poll for them, I could very easily do that character far earlier than they were intended, due to excessive ease of development.
Who?
"Looks like I'm the last man standing."

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Surprise update!
Not only did I add the character I teased a few days ago, but I also added another character I only had one idea for
on the subject of characters I have few or no ideas for, there is only one more character I only have one idea for, and one that I have no ideas for
I plan to make a Mr. Game and watch based on the Virtual Boy of all things. Why haven't I done it yet? Because I need to learn 2 things first.
1. Mr. Virtual boy would not be in 2D
2. Some of virtual boy's props will be vertex hacked into other objects
I do not currently know how to do either of these. I'll look up a vertex hacking tutorial on my own but I cannot find any info on making Game and Watch 3D
The character I lack ideas for is ROB.

This will be the last time I break the schedule stated in the OP

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
Wow, this seems interesting. Hope you continue to work on this, it's a very interesting idea.

Usually neat stuff like this gets abandoned with no comment. :(

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I was watching a video with one of those incredibly ridiculous overpowered PSAs, and someone did a Game and Watch with entirely new animations. Whether it's actually 3D or not is beyond me, but perhaps you can take a look at G&W edits to get an idea on how to work with him.

As for R.O.B. edits, nothing immediately comes to mind but I hope you think of something. Best of luck on this project!

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
Huh,this looks nice. I cant contribute because i suck at everything hack related,but maybe i´ll learn in the future

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Huh,this looks nice. I cant contribute because i suck at everything hack related,but maybe i´ll learn in the future
so-far, this has proven to simultaneously easier than I thought and harder than I thought, if that makes any sense.
have a little self-confidence. I haven't done any brawl mods before and now I got three PSAs out, some including new alternate costumes. Your skill at this all relies on how much you're willing to seek out help and how willing you are to stay involved with your project.

By the way, I will end the DK poll tomorrow, Funky won the character poll but the poll that's still up will determine how he plays.
With this other poll, I'll take the top two answers into account when making the PSA, though obviously taking the number 1 winner moreso.
I have not heard any word from the person I mentioned in the post teasing Dark Pit, so until further notice all development will be centered on funky, and the Link poll will continue until a day after Funky's release.
I, for one, very much look forward to the development of Funky.

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
so-far, this has proven to simultaneously easier than I thought and harder than I thought, if that makes any sense.
have a little self-confidence. I haven't done any brawl mods before and now I got three PSAs out, some including new alternate costumes. Your skill at this all relies on how much you're willing to seek out help and how willing you are to stay involved with your project.
Thanks! I wanna learn on how to edit PSAs but i dunno where should i start...

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
So, just a quick question? Why not use Doc instead of Metal Mario? Or Rosalina instead of Daisy? Dark Pit, I can see, what else were you going to do with Pit?
Skipped on Doc because it's been done a million times and Metal hasn't been done at all, in general I want to avoid the obvious choice when possible. I had one other idea for Mario, but I decided to save it for Luigi.
Skipped on Rosalina because Sakurai showed the world that Rosalina is not a peach clone.
Like you said, there was basically no other choice for Dark Pit

3WeekHeadaches

Smash Cadet
Skipped on Doc because it's been done a million times and Metal hasn't been done at all, in general I want to avoid the obvious choice when possible. I had one other idea for Mario, but I decided to save it for Luigi.
Skipped on Rosalina because Sakurai showed the world that Rosalina is not a peach clone.
Like you said, there was basically no other choice for Dark Pit
I guess a fair point was made about Doc. What about Rosalina though? You could totally do original content with her.
As for Luigi, I'm only guessing another Mr. L. Or Doc Luigi. That'd be weird as hell.

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Right so I just messed around with Daisy a bit more, this time on green hill against wolf in a normal match and this time it crashed as soon as I used toad.
When I put my SD card back into my computer windows had to repair it
If anyone would like to troubleshoot the daisy file I have uploaded, go ahead, it's identical to the one I was using when this crash happened.
If I finish funky before anyone comes forward with a fix for Daisy, I'll remake her PSA from scratch.
If you can't find a way to fix what I put on the vault, then at least provide me a cleaner way to remove Peach's glide, as that is the only thing I could think of that fumbles with the neutral special (on the action page that seemed like it managed the floating property, there was a line referencing the special attack button, causing my suspicion)

Hurricane Rush

Smash Rookie
I don't know if you're taking requests or anything (I just found this and I think it's an awesome idea) but I'd love if you could make Kiddy Kong as the DK clone because:

1. He's an under appreciated character from an under appreciated game.

2. Fits DK's body shape perfectly

3. Hasn't been included in anything since DKC3

I do realize the model would probably be an issue, and I don't want to force anything, just wanted to share my idea. :)

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you're taking requests or anything (I just found this and I think it's an awesome idea) but I'd love if you could make Kiddy Kong as the DK clone because:

1. He's an under appreciated character from an under appreciated game.

2. Fits DK's body shape perfectly

3. Hasn't been included in anything since DKC3

I do realize the model would probably be an issue, and I don't want to force anything, just wanted to share my idea. :)
Sorry, the poll for who DK's clone is has ended, Funky won 75% of the vote.

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Oh I see. Shame I just found out today.
It's fine, I actually kinda wish I thought to include it in the poll, give Funky at least slightly fair competition.
A bit surprised Bluster/Leo Luster didn't get more votes. I mean I'm glad Funky won because it means I can delay the inevitable and not have to make my own vertex hack yet, but still, who doesn't want this face in Smash?

Also Funky's playstyle poll will end at my timezone's 6 PM, which is an hour and ten minutes from now

Last edited:

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
If you accept suggestions...

-Link: Fierce Deity Link

-Samus: Ray (Custom Robo)

-Kirby: Boo [I think the copy ability would feel ok with him]

-Fox: Slippy Toad [Krystal could work too but I feel she deserves better than being a clone]

-Pikachu: Pichu (for obvious reasons)

-Captain Falcon: Black Shadow [Moveset could be similar to Brawl Ganondorf]

-Zelda: Toon Zelda (And make her a new Down B. Tetra can't really be a clone as would probably have to pick moves from both Toon Link and Sheik)

-Bowser: either Midbus [M&L 3] or Dark Bowser

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
If you accept suggestions...

-Link: Fierce Deity Link

-Samus: Ray (Custom Robo)

-Kirby: Boo [I think the copy ability would feel ok with him]

-Fox: Slippy Toad [Krystal could work too but I feel she deserves better than being a clone]

-Pikachu: Pichu (for obvious reasons)

-Captain Falcon: Black Shadow [Moveset could be similar to Brawl Ganondorf]

-Zelda: Toon Zelda (And make her a new Down B. Tetra can't really be a clone as would probably have to pick moves from both Toon Link and Sheik)

-Bowser: either Midbus [M&L 3] or Dark Bowser
I will not be doing any cross-series clones, so as much as I like Ray and Custom Robo, no.
I, personally, am against the idea of Fierce Diety as Majora's Mask presented it as a limited form that is excessively broken with no downsides other than it's magic consumption and restriction to bosses. However, I believe the community deserves a degree of power over this project, so if this post gets likes from 7 users, I will restart the poll for Link's clone with more options
Edit: I restarted the poll anyway due to strawpoll's shenanigans losing votes

I already have clones planned for the entire roster. Some of the things you've suggested are already planned to be part of character polls, I will not detail which ones.
Every character except Game and Watch, the ones I've released, and ROB will have more than one choice.
I also noticed your comment on Krystal and feel the following should be noted.
The inclusion of a character in this pack does NOT imply that I think the character could only ever be a clone. At the end of the day even something like Dark Pit could be a unique character with effort and creativity.

I reread his post and something else stands out, so much so that I'm starting a new poll.
Should I keep Zelda and Sheik's transformation?
If yes, their polls will be concurrent and every choice in the poll will detail a combination of characters
If no, their polls will be separate and the two characters can be completely unrelated
I would prefer the latter, as some ideas for sheik are simply incompatible with a stransformation gimmick but again I believe you all deserve a say.
This poll will end when it comes time to make Zelda's clone, so it'll be a very long while.

Last edited:

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Wait just a dang moment
Strawpoll got a redesign
I just refreshed the pages on the last two polls, the results have been skewed! heavily!
thankfully I still remember the results on DK's polls, but Link was still being decided!
Ravio was winning by one vote, now he is three behind Dark Link. I don't know what data was lost so should I just restart the whole thing?
Edit: I am going to, I can't lose this many votes in good conscience. Link Poll will now end the day after Daisy and dark pit are fully complete, and more than 34 votes have been cast (the amount I remember there being)

Last edited:

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
My love and respect to the first individual who can inform me what I'm supposed to change in PSA to edit the movement involved in up specials and the like.

Also I need to know before I can consider Funky balanced

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom