• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prog Earns Cannon Award for Service to Smash Community

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wynton "Prog" Smith earned the Cannon Award at Evo 2014 for his work with the Smash community. Prog announced this summer that commentating Evo 2014 would be his last tournament due to health reasons and the strain that traveling places on him. His work in commentary and in leading the community is unmatched and there will be a tough void to fill in his absence. This award comes on the heels of Apex 2014 where Prog took home the Community Leadership Award. Always the charismatic, positive person, Prog saw the Smash community through the dark times when Nintendo nearly banned the game from Evo 2013. It is telling that just a year later, Evo 2014 was sponsored by Nintendo and had a special message from NOA President, Reggie.

Before the presentation, D1 had a few words to introduce Prog:

"Alright guys, this award is for someone who's been there for me for years. He's done a lot for this community since way back together in Tri-State, he's been recording matches, he's been doing commentary with me since way back when we had no filter and we decided we wanted to change the game, trying to push those games towards a more professional level.

And thanks to everybody who's recognizing the Smash community, we've taken big leaps, and we've changed for the better - we're taken more seriously, and of course, all this couldn't be done without Prog."

For all his contributions to the Smash community, Smashboards sends a sincere thank you and wishes Prog the best going forward. If Prog made an impact on your Smash career/life please leave a comment here so that it may live forever.

Last edited:

Masterphailure

Smash Cadet
We'll miss you Prog, but you'll forever be in our hearts and in our ears. Get well soon so you can continue doing what you love!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND!

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'll be replaying the video for this so many times.

"The Man, The Myth, The Legend!"

So many years spent hearing your voice. You'll be apart of the Smash community for many years to come. Don't ever forget that. Just a new beginning :' )

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Two goats crowned champion today. Mango for his play, Prog for his community building contributions.

Love ya prog, but you knew that of course =D

Friganometry

Smash Rookie
I've only recently gotten into competitive Smash, but I immediately fell in love with your outstanding commentary and what you've done for the community. WE LOVE YOU, PROG!

ZackTheGreat

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZackTheGreat
3DS FC
4227-2410-9609
Prog was the one who got me hyped for competitive smash because of The Nintendo Invitational. So I'm proud to be part of this community now because of him. Thank you prog.

GOC/Olimans

Smash enthusiast
Thank you Prog for giving me inspiration to TO and be a great commentator in the future. Will never forget your contribution to Smash

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I already said my piece in the article write below this one, but to re-iterate:

I probably have no right since I consider myself an outsider to the competitive Smash community and know very little about it's history and Prog's contributions to it, but I fell in love with the commentator over the past few months, and D1's tears were all I needed to see to know how truly special Prog must be, as a talented commentator, an adamant leader, and as a loving friend to those closest to him. If he can touch the hearts of people like me (an outsider and a kind of stone cold person in general), then he's something special and should go down in the history books. I view him with nearly the same regard as Masahiro Sakurai himself.

Cheers for the good times, many thanks indeed for doing what you have done to make a whole community happy and proud, and may your future be a bright one, Wynton "Prog" Smith!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I said it on Twitter, but I'll say it here too. I teared up! We're ganna miss ya Prog but we wish ya nothin but the best! Get well soon! I feel weird quoting Lilo & Stitch of all things, but you're family, and family means no one gets left behind! CONGRATS PROG! #ThankYouProg

Ting Sing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CADANAMAN
Thank you ever so much, Prog. Smash, even Melee, is still young, however from this point on, it will never be the same. There will be no gap to fill for you, since nothing could ever amount to what you became for Smash: an icon of the Smash community. Not just the fgc; the entire community. Enough to be noticed by the high heads of Nintendo themselves. I wish you the best of wishes in the future, and that we haven't seen the last of you. You're an amazing man, you've influenced many people with your voice; me being one of them. Thank you, Prog.

Markus E-bear

Smash Rookie
NNID
MarkusEbear
3DS FC
5455-9392-7976
It wasn't until recently after I helped host shuffle IV and V with OSU that I really got into professional smash. Sure I went to some local melee tourneys back in the day of pre-brawl and some brawl tourneys shortly after their release (even got 4th in one). Heck I even hosted some in house and school tourneys. But I never really cared about being the best or watching the pros, I played for fun.

But now, coming from watching pro starcraft, I love the smash scene. I love hosting tourneys. I love getting destroyed by people way better to me and placing low in tourneys.

And you man, you helped make this all possible. You helped pave the way for all of this. You helped encourage other people to get involved and helped lift spirits up in the dark times. You helped bring professionalism to the scene and helped not only keep it alive, but thrive.

So thanks Prog. Thanks not only for being my favorite caster, but for being a leader to this community. Your influence has made a huge difference on so many peoples lives. I wish the best for you and hope we still get to see you. Trust me, you weren't the only one crying.

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
There's nothing else that can be said that someone else hasn't already. Thank you for the outstanding work and commitment you have for the Smash community. We love you and will miss you. I'm glad I got back into Melee when I did because you, Prog, were one of the people who made me excited for the game again.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Really glad that this sort of thing came, because Prog is absolutely deserving of having an award and some sort of ceremony. Gonna miss him so much, and I know all the people of the smash community will feel the same way. It'll be different in the coming year, but I at least know that I will continue to get Corgi updates. Good luck with the rest of everything, Prog!

Vigihes

Smash Cadet
From your best French fan. <3
Thank you soooo much Prog. If you haven't be here with D1 supporting the commun... The family, I would probably not be following the smash competitions since the two past years, with so much hype, like tonight watching Mango vs HBox.
Merci beaucoup !

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I don't want to seem ignorant, but does anyone know what health issues he has? I've never heard of this before, so this is a surprise to me.

It's a shame that Prog has to step off, he's my favorite commentator along with D1, but at least we still have the latter so we're not gonna be lacking superb commentators altogether. Hopefully Prog can take his spot soon enough, he's an awesome commentator and seems like a chill guy, it'd be a shame if he couldn't do his thing for as long as possible.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I've posted it in the other announcement thread but I'll say it again: Sad to see you go, Prog. You and D1 were the best commentator duo no doubt imo. I'm sure you'll find another way to joyfully spend your time and I wish you the best of health.

You've been a great asset to the Smash community as you've helped us get where we are now. The Smash community is amazing and more and more people have been realizing this, also partly because of your efforts (myself included). Great stuff man.

Last edited:

Brojito

Smash Rookie
Enjoyed your commentary from the second I heard it long ago. Love you man!

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
He deserved this 100% and he shall be missed.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Prog was a really great commentator; he really made my experiences with competitive Smash!

You are great and I hope you will get healthy again! #ThankYouProg

Last edited:
Top Bottom