• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jXn83o3o3I#t=7m07s

Don't you just love silly 0-to-deaths?

While I usually switch back and forth between Doc and Samus these days, Fox is one of the match-ups where I feel more comfortable with Samus. Feel free to critique, though I think I know what parts of my game I need to improve or just brush up on.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Critique?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR5MElIIAKY&feature=youtu.be

Mostly on the second game. The first game is me playing against Sheik for the first time in a very long time. So I already know that I needed to downsmash less in the first game, and grapple more.

Sooooo have at it!

I would love critique from people that have actually been playing competitively for over 2 years, but hey. Beggers can't be choosers. So give me your worst.

McNinja

Smash Ace
I didn't make the cut.
You can still give it a go. Its not like I'm going to hate you forever for trying to help me improve.

I just mainly don't want people telling me things just so THEY sound smart but in reality nothing they say even makes sense and I shouldn't be following their advice at all.

So bottom line, don't just say something to say something. Sorry if this sounds aggressive lol

:phone:

Geist

Smash Master
I would love critique from people that have actually been playing competitively for over 2 years, but hey. Beggers can't be choosers. So give me your worst.
alright alright jeeze

Mostly on the second game. The first game is me playing against Sheik for the first time in a very long time. So I already know that I needed to downsmash less in the first game, and grapple more.
noooooo
the key to these matchups is never 'do x move more'. Samus doesn't have any truly all-purpose moves like the top tiers, instead her moves function in very situational and specific ways. The way you should be thinking is more along the lines of 'use x move properly'.
Regardless if you're throwing out grabs or not, you're not going to benefit from them without hitting them, and that seems to be the problem you're having. I know I'm being captain obvious here but hear me out.
A big thing with sheik v samus is that Samus has okaaaay tools to help her out, but these tools are only effective within a very short time frame at any given time, the trick is that you have to know how to create these openings. Playing completely reactive isn't going to get you very far, especially when sheik can manhandle you like out of some sort of prison **** scene. Probably the biggest and most important step towards being able to open up and bait these opportunities is proper zoning and stage awareness. At all times you should be very aware of what places on the stage offer you an advantage, relative to the position of your opponent. Continuously jumping up to the second platform and wavelanding over and over might seem like a cool thing when sheik is overtop of you trying to figure out how to land when you keep popping in and out from cover, but it's not cool at all when there's a sheik literally standing in front of you salivating from the thought of giving you a big ol' Fair.

Be a bit more patient and practice your timings from OoS, WDs and CCs. Stay mostly grounded and poke more with tilts and jabs and generally just with more moves that finish faster than Dsmash. Poking won't win you the match, but it'll give you adequate openings for better things. That's why it's so important to be more situationally aware - ironically the only times you grabbed were when the sheik wasn't shielding and the only times you dsmashed were when the sheik was shielding.
You did all this way better in the second game, granted, but there was still the problem of situational awareness and bad choices. In the end, you really just have to optimize everything you do. Instead of fully charging fsmash when you broke sheik's shield (which was sweet) you could have got utilt > charge beam or something. Sheik was at low percentage so charging a move up wouldn't have really done anything but slightly increase the damage of a regular fsmash.

To list a few things you might want to try out
- grapple is generally a safer recovery than screw attack, especially if you sweet spot
- utilt is safer than it looks, and it covers itself with itself. It also sets up better than dsmash and dtilt and has an awesome range
- when throwing out an attack, judge beforehand where you'll land, and cover your bases in case you whiff or it gets shielded. Samus is way too floaty to just throw something out.
- uair pokes great against shields if they're overtop of you on a plat. it also works great as a momentum breaker and can lead into some cool things if you get the whole thing
- don't try falling down with a dair unless you put them there to be dair'd
- be quicker to the ledge against sheik. it'll look nice and all if you can do fancy aerial gimps and all that but it's generally safer if you hit her and scram. She still has to land on the stage, so it's up to you; go for her off the stage for the extra hit and probably not get it, or wait until she's on the stage and get the hit anyways.
- it's not something you can just 'try out' but focus on getting more decisive with your reactions. It's something that only comes out of playing more, but things tend to become way more clear if you're playing with an intent to get better at something.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Yeah I know Utilt is a great move, but I can't figure out when to use it. I tend to only use it when the enemy is on the platform above me. Suggestions?

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah I know Utilt is a great move, but I can't figure out when to use it. I tend to only use it when the enemy is on the platform above me. Suggestions?

I find it's most effective while edgeguarding, after a forward wavedash/waveland and to punish gratuitous aerial abuse

Play friendlies and use uptilt over and over until it works
then use it in those situations
:D
trial and error my friend

Geist

Smash Master
When you wd forward it gives you this huge sweeping arc. For retreating wd utilt is sweet if you get a really good call but I prefer dtilt or dsmash because if your opponent ends up overshooting you still got that cc up your sleeve

McNinja

Smash Ace
I find it's most effective while edgeguarding, after a forward wavedash/waveland and to punish gratuitous aerial abuse

Play friendlies and use uptilt over and over until it works
then use it in those situations
:D
trial and error my friend
I like this advise. I shall try and find a place for it over time! Thanks!

Knut

Smash Apprentice
nice shield break. not fond of the punish though. sheik was at 0% you could have dair/utilt > dsmash/dtilt.
bad habit to break would probably be spot dodge > dsmash. everyone knows we love to do that after spotdodges. you did this on a platform at 00:18 which was a pretty bad look. you could have jabbed then fell through the platform with a fair/uair/nair or just ran right past her and to get back to center stage.
d-throw dash attack sheik if she di's away. trying to tech chase when your both in center stage like that isn't all that beneficial imo when you have a the a guaranteed hit. i'd say to save the reads for when you have her pressured by the edge.
personally i don't like to jump around with nairs unless i know they are going to hit. you are next to her frequently by the edge and do rising nairs to get past her. if she does shield that (or any character for that matter) you will be hit pretty hard. you're proabably better off WDing past her or spacing dashattack. 3:25 was nice stuff though.
don't forget about missile > grab
1:04 was sorta killed. personally i would have jabbed, taken a step forward, jabbed one or two more times then WD back utilt or wavebomb in place>jab/fsmash.
work on you're recovery. sweet spot grapple is pretty damn good! you lost some stocks too early.
oh and even though battefield is such an awesome stage, i'd say to strike it vs sheik. i think it's too strong of a stage for her, and too hard of a stage for samus to recover on because of the needles/no wall to grapple.
basically, to sum it up, don't do moves to do them. do them because you want to control space. and don't do moves that leave you with bad stage positioning.
theres probably more stuff in there but im tired so thats it.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
don't do moves to do them. do them because you want to control space. and don't do moves that leave you with bad stage positioning.
This needs to be put into an Official Samus Index Thread. All new Sami and beginning Sami need to hear this. When I first started Samus last Spring I had to learn I couldn't player her like Falcon. If you play Samus like Falcon, you're gonna have a bad time.

Violence

Smash Lord
From the words of Darrell, who advised me after I lost to two Sheiks to go 0-2 at KoC bracket:

"Stay the **** out of the triangle."

Sheik's spacing is primarily triangular. She can't just dash attack, because you cc dsmash. Boost grabbing is a risky option because our pokes extend far past our hitbox to be grabbed, and most Sheiks won't be relying on it. Their primary method of spacing, approaching, attacking, defending, all comes from their triangle.

Jump/short hop->Falling needle-> followup

SHFFL low fair (Amsah fairs) Either retreating or approaching.

I think the reason Samuses have trouble with Sheiks is twofold.

First, unlike fast fallers, Sheik doesn't approach with a deep aerial that you can just wavedash back and punish. Her approach is more of an edging forward, a method of taking bits of space gradually until she chokes you out of room and can have her way with you. Stage control is very important, having more space to retreat is a resource that should be defended/managed.

Normally, she forms a triangle, and inches forward with it.

Learn where that triangle is. Feel exactly where they can reach you, and weave yourself in and out of it. Sheik baits and approaches with jumps, we bait and approach with dash dances and wavedashes.

If Sheik is getting ready to falling needle, from a certain space, a dash attack will propel you under the needle and hit her falling body. You can also powershield the needle, or just plain old shield, wavedash back out of shield. You want her to commit to something, and then punish it.

If she is Amsah fairing, you know exactly where her hitbox is. Gain enough control with your character to bait her, and just punish with a hitbox of your own, like a smash or an utilt.

If she is empty hopping, I like to make a bit of space, and missile cancel into an approach. Watch how she reacts, and react accordingly.

The matchup, I think I've come to realize, is very much like the Marth matchup. I'm much better at the Marth matchup because Phil imprinted every single attack's spacing into me while he beat me over and over, back when he taught me how to play. I know exactly where to position myself to be just out of range of a Marth shfair, or a dash attack, or a wavefsmash. But when I was learning? I just kept running into that invisible wall, that space that I had to learn to overcome. I believe that Sheik is the same way, she has invisible walls, and Samuses make the mistake of running into them. It doesn't matter if you run into them with a shield, or a crouch cancel, if you run into the triangle predictably, expect to get ****ed up. You have plenty of options, and her movement is generally limited, as long as you stop committing to that space. Bait her and fight outside of it.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Yes, the triangle. I never really thought about it that way, but looking back at my experiences against Samus with Sheik (my secondary), my gameplay has definitely been centered around that triangle. The problem with this MU, though, is that Sheik is mobile enough to kinda force the triangle on you, and platforms just help her out even more as long as she makes sure not to go directly over you. Once she gets in, her grab options are just waaaaaaaaaaay too strong.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Dang it! Calculus already ruined triangles for me. Now my worst matchup uses triangles as well?!

Okay but seriously. Sheik having a triangle approach system is a fantastic way to look at it. I notice now that I love to be a set distance from my enemy. Unfortunately, that comfortable distance lays right at the corner of Sheik's triangle.

Ill have to try and try some different spacings. Excellent advise!

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Recently had a tournament on December 1st. I did okay, I guess. I'd really like to get these matches critiqued, though:
Bubbaking (Samus) vs GrapeApe (Sheik)
Bubbaking (Samus) vs Phish-it (DK) (only the first match, 'cause I chicken out to Sheik and get bopped even though I brought Phish-it to last stock decent %'s with Samus; sorry for the pretty bad quality of this one, btw :()

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You gotta work on your grab combos, you missed a few key conversions...

Also, work on your edgeguarding. You can stay on the ledge longer until you see him teleport above the stage and then just ledgehop dair or nair to hit her back out.

Your ledge options are also kinda questionable. You don't seem to force anything and you usually use the normal get-up options which are pretty damn punishable.

THis is only the sheik match, I didn't watch the DK one.

abcool

Smash Ace
Everything ESAM said. The ledge game was the determining factor for you because you had a better onstage game than the sheik.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Thanks a lot for the critique, ESAM! :)

Yeah, my edgeguards were probably the worst part of my play. I was afraid of getting hit by the "poof". I should probably make it a point to grab the ledge closer to that time so that I can get some more invincibility. My grab game was probably the second worst part of my play. I would get key grabs and then fail to convert. I'll work on those too. And better ledge options. I often see other Samii use ledgehop nair but I don't use it much, so I guess I should start doing it, and other things, more.

Alright, I'll work on all of these things. You probably don't want to watch the DK match. The video is in pretty bad quality..... :( Thanks, though, for your input on the Sheik set! :)

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I should probably make it a point to grab the ledge closer to that time so that I can get some more invincibility.
You could just reset your invincibility by letting go of the edge, jump back up to the edge = ) Just time it so that when Sheik starts getting closer you reset your invincibility at the last possible moment.

Knut

Smash Apprentice
vs falco
@2:02 you down b and he misses the tech..you could have Dsmashed, but since you fell through the platform, you could delayed your double jump to leave room for his g.u attack and jumped back up on him with bomb>nair..or double bomb on his shield...or simply nair if you timed the double jump right

@2:03 you fmash him the wrong way lol. run the other side of him uangle fmash and send him off stage next time.

@2:05 i knew your charge shot was coming after that fsmash, and so did your opponent. you can use that tension as a mindgame. people fear it. you could have start jabbing his shield..or even grabbed.

@2:58 start holding down when you utilt to buffer CC from gu attacks from the ledge. then fsmash dash attack ftilt whatever.

@3:03 you start jumping by around by the edge...i'm guessing becuase you felt pressured. and you were using your double jump for no reason.any other sheik... that = you just lost your stock.

@3:03 you fmash and take sheiks double jump..so she's forced to up b. meaning you grab the ledge immediatley (run/wd off with nair may have worked in that situation as well). the dair was a bad call.

@3:05 you missile then immediately jump full hop nair..maybe you really thought he was gonna jump..but i don't think you had been shooting enough missiles that match to go ahead with such a hard read. you got uaired..used your second jump. you gave up any stage positioning by doing this move and lost the match because of it IMO.

there is definitely some more stuff in here..but these are just a few things i saw..i kinda rushed it because i'm hungry and wanna make food lol. i'll rewatch and say some more stuff later. sorry its all negative stuff too..i'll point out somethings i liked later as well.

that *****es voice every minute or soo was ****ing annyoing as hell too..lmao its still hear it in my head right now >_<

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Although entirely negative, that critique was great and enjoyed going back and watching my mistakes lol.

I need to pickup when people lose their second jump and are forced to use their Up-B. What are some instances when people lose their second jump? The only ones I can think of are, if you're hit during your UpB and if your hit after using your first jump. Are there any other ways to lose a second jump?

The reason I fsmashed the wrong why is because at times idk what the best option would be. Sometimes at certain percents they get launched quite high during the dair and gives me time to charge my fsmash a good amount before releasing the fury. Would it have been best to fsmash him the other way (off stage) over a more powerful charged fsmash (on stage)?

About the buffer CC utilts, you mean CC the getup attack, THEN utilt right? Or can you hold the C-stick down or something and uptilt after they get up? Wouldn't that make you dsmash though?

Dairing offtstage with Samus, ahh the earlier days :laugh: won't happen again. Although the situation hasn't arisen yet, walk off the ledge dair on a low recovering Falco seems pretty legit to me.

Again thanks for the critique I did enjoy it. Will go back with a different attitude next time and better missiles.

Top Bottom