• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 30, 2013] Post-Apocalypse Texas Showdown (PATS) 3 (Houston, TX)

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Yes it's really happening!! Another PATS tournament! Last tournament was a huge success, with 45 singles entrants and 19 teams. The videos are all here. Let's make this one even better!!​
Venue
6025 Westheimer Road
Houston, TX 77057
We will have an entire rather large room to ourselves, plenty of onsite parking, and NO VENUE FEE (keep in mind that the venue is free under the assumption that some people who attend the tournament will buy food/drinks here, so eating here is highly encouraged. The food is great, I highly recommend their queso.)
Doors open at 12:00, and tournament registration will end at 1:30, SO GET THERE BEFORE 1:30. The tournament will then start as soon as brackets are made. If you are running a little late, give me a call at 713 702 6028 and I will register you if you are reasonably close.
Tournament Rules
  • The number of stock is set to 4
  • The time limit is set to 8 minutes
  • Pause is set to off
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • Double Elimination
  • All sets are best of 3, except semi-finals and finals rounds (in winners and losers), and losers quarters, which are best of 5
  • FOR BEST OF 5 MATCHES- Dave's stupid rule: A player cannot counter pick a stage they have previously won on in a set. However, there are no bans. (there are bans for best of 3 matches)
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a stock and percentage tie, a one-stock match will be played.
  • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
Stage List
Singles:
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Final Destination
Dreamland
Battlefield
Counter Picks: Pokemon Stadium
Doubles:
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium
Final Destination
Dreamland
Battlefield
Counter Picks: Kongo Jungle 64
Entry Fee
Singles: 10
Double: 5 (each)
NO VENUE FEE!!! (this means EAT AT THE VENUE)
If anyone from out of city/state needs a place to stay, just post, there are plenty of Houston players willing to house people. Bring setups! Eat at the venue! NO LATE ENTRIES, SO SHOW UP ON TIME, DOORS OPEN AT 12:00, REGISTRATION ENDS AT 1:30. Let me know if I left anything out!

Opelousai

Smash Rookie
NNID
Opelousai
Me, Dreoh, JGR, and Sincuroo will definitely show up. Any chance of also running a PM tourney if we can get set-ups?

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Me, Dreoh, JGR, and Sincuroo will definitely show up. Any chance of also running a PM tourney if we can get set-ups?
Possibly, time is the main issue right now. I'll see if I can find time for it, I'll get back to you on that.

Cowsaymeow

Smash Cadet
Hey I'll come! New to Melee competitively (well quit a really long time ago) but I'm a Houstonian so if their is casuals (or however smash players call them) I'm down to go!

Diglob

Smash Cadet
Glibbiest of all Globbies confirmed! I mean, unless something pops up and I can't go.

But I have full intentions of going to this.

(b^____^)b

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Remember to bring some extra pairs of thick denim for when I arrive, when we play youre going to need at least 4 pairs of jeans on to hold up whats gonna come down, and a fifth to clean up your butt afterwards. And all thats just for when I beat you once. So youd better get started on telling your mom that she needs to buy you 10 pairs of jeans (2-0) or you can forget about eating at the venue.

Papa+Stone

What size jeans do you wear? also Im going to keep this a secret between you and me, but if were going to MM I need to warn you that Ill be going under a different name than papa stone so I dont get mugged at the venue, Make sure you dont tell anybody

Papa+Stone

I will tell you. Post pictures of what you look like so I know who to MM

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
i wanna say papa stone is mouf. im not sure though

edit: fris, teach me how to get free venue fee

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Actually, with the way he posts, that wouldn't surprise me. If it is Mouf, then nevermind about the MM. lol

Papa+Stone

I dont know who he is, but this mouf fellow sounds like an exceptional player. Ill make sure to check him out.

Papa+Stone

He must be especially skilled to make you guys wet your pants like this, I wonder who this elusive man is.

Cowsaymeow

Smash Cadet
I can also vouch for the venues food. They're god damn good

Also, if we can bring part of a full setup should we bring it?

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Is there any chance of a Project M side event?
There's a chance. I need to think of the most time efficient way to run everything so we don't run late, but I'll definitely try to squeeze it in. I'll keep you posted.

I can also vouch for the venues food. They're god damn good

Also, if we can bring part of a full setup should we bring it?
Please do. This goes for everyone, please bring a setup (or whatever part of it) if you can, setups keep the tournament moving.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
There's a chance. I need to think of the most time efficient way to run everything so we don't run late, but I'll definitely try to squeeze it in. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you. If there is Project M, then I'll definitely come with a dedicated setup and enter Melee as well. This venue has great food by the way, to anyone who's never been.

Cowsaymeow

Smash Cadet
Any higher level Captain Falcon players going to attend this? I just got back to playing this after years of not playing so I'd love to play Friendlies with you guys to learn some stuff

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Any higher level Captain Falcon players going to attend this? I just got back to playing this after years of not playing so I'd love to play Friendlies with you guys to learn some stuff
Zhea plays C. Falcon. Strawhat might also make an appearance if P:M is there. I'm sure there will be plenty of others willing to help you learn some things after taking a hiatus.

Cowsaymeow

Smash Cadet
Zhea plays C. Falcon. Strawhat might also make an appearance if P:M is there. I'm sure there will be plenty of others willing to help you learn some things after taking a hiatus.
Sounds good! Excited to get back with this tournament.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
So how about that Project M? I'd be willing to run the brackets if that would help.
Side note: I'm ready to start moving up in Melee.
I don't think PM will be at this one, I think this tournament will be too big to run four events at. I hope you still come though! Who knows, maybe this time we'll randomly finish early and might be able to at least run PM singles. No guarantees though.

Top Bottom