1. Looking for the largest Project M tournament of the summer? Register for CEO 2014 today and get in on the action! Featuring both Project M and Super Smash Brothers Melee, CEO 2014 will be one of the three largest tournaments of the summer!

2. Looking for the perfect gift for that Smasher in your life? Maybe even yourself? Use the Smashboards Store to get any awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo White Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

Possible to edit/change AI in SSBM?

Discussion in 'Melee Workshop' started by Slashers, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Slashers

Slashers Smash Rookie

I want to edit AI of a character, or potentially insert my own code so I can eventually create the ultimate AI.

However, I don't want to spend money on a SD Media Launcher or AR if I can't do any of this.

Does anyone know if it's possible? To:

1. Edit AI values of a character
    2. Or, insert / change AI code of a character

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
  2. GreatRit

GreatRit Smash Cadet

It is possible.
    I believe there was video of this lvl 5 CPU falco doing wavedashes and Short hop lasers.
    can't find link though.
  3. Korrupshen

Korrupshen Smash Ace

That will tight to play a less ****tier computer
  4. hectohertz

hectohertz Smash Journeyman

anyone know where this video is?

or anyone know about the feasibility of doing this?
  5. PoundSlap

PoundSlap Smash Journeyman

that video is fake btw. the P2 tag was replaced with CPU tag but a human was still playing the falco. i could link the vid but it isnt needed when its clearly a fake. its old too.
  6. HT F8

HT F8 Hostile Takeover

Apologize for the bump, but I thought it would be better to ask here than to make a new thread.

Has there been any work done on editing the AI? I was just thinking about that today. It would be sooo helpful for so many people to play against an AI that preformed advanced techniques and such. Sounds really difficult, though.
  7. SypherPhoenix

SypherPhoenix Smash Lord

There's been no work afaik. I don't think anybody's interested in tackling this type of stuff now as there are more basic things we need to figure out and document.
  8. Indolent

Indolent Smash Rookie

Is it even possible though? And if so, where do you start?

:phone:
  9. erbanez

erbanez Smash Apprentice

I guess you could say that humans are always better to play but it depends on their skill level or availability

10. HT F8

HT F8 Hostile Takeover

True, it's way better to play humans that actually think, but advanced AI would be really helpful in the technical aspect. Being able to practice powershielding SHLs from a Falco, or how to deal with a Fox's shield pressure, or how to DI in a given situation would be a godsend for lower/middle level players... or for people with not a lot of humans to play.
  11. Zantetsu

Zantetsu Smash Master

Someone in the SSB64 community made it to where the AI was buffed up. He made Jigglypuff do rest and things like that, so it's probably just as possible with Melee.

As for the actual subject of editing AI, how about making the AI do specific things to train against rather then just making them play with advance techs?

Example:
    Falco Lvl 1 = Short Hop Laser-Evade (Work on getting around lasers)
    Falco Lvl 2 = Mixed Up DI/Techs-Stand (Work on chain throwing Falco)
    etc. etc.

It would be a lot easier to practice things that you normally can only practice with experience.
  12. HT F8

HT F8 Hostile Takeover

That would be amazing. The skill level of your average player would go way up.
  13. erbanez

erbanez Smash Apprentice

It would be helpful for AI to at least recover properly or differently, like fox and falco using side-b, airdodging, etc. I also want an AI that stays as sheik.

14. hectohertz

hectohertz Smash Journeyman

do you know who in the ssb community made this mod? how they did it? it's an interesting project, i've thought about it before, I just don't know of any data on how the AI is organized, so other than decompiling the program idn how you'd start
  15. crush

crush Smash Master

maybe marth mains would get better if cpus mixed up their di (to practice chain throwing), recovered with m2k angles, side-bs, and airdodging, shield pressured to avoid getting grabbed, and if a cpu would stay as sheik
  16. Madra

Madra Smash Rookie

I lol'd
    10xlols
  17. adechrist

adechrist Smash Cadet

Has any work been done on this at all? Or how to start? It would be really cool if someone could change the CPUs so that they DI differently. In training mode, when there are multiple CPU settings. You can have each setting DI differently. You can have the normal CPU not DI, the Jumping CPU DI in (and not jump), and the run away CPU DI away (and not run away). This could really help players who want to practice combos.