• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Port Priority

Jadeyes

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but after some searching I couldn't find an answer.

Are there still instances of Port Priority in Project M?

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Pretty sure this is the correct place to post this but if you don't mind my noobish asking... What in the world is Port Priority? :s I heard about it a lot but have no idea what it is. :s

Last edited:

Citricide

JuneauSmashBros Tournament Organizer
The outcome of certain concurrent events, such as two characters being KOd or attempting to grab each other simultaneously, are determined by port priority. For unknown reasons, in Brawl. Port priority also influences the outcome of situations in which two characters are attacked during a grab, through an effect known as Faux Super Armour.

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
I thought this had to do with which port you plugged your controller in and which one gives you a better advantage.

Regardless I try my best to plug in to port 3, because that's where I won my first Tournament match in.
It's like that certain color you have to play in to win.

Controller johns ftw.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I have the same issue, I have to use a white controller.
The whites are just better then everything else.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
This is a good question.

A: Is "Faux Super Armour" still in the game (didn't know the name until this thread, but where who gets hit when a hitbox hits both a grabber and the grabbed).

B: If Faux Super Armour is still in, is there any reason for it? It seems kinda odd. Is it just hard to remove?

C: Regardless of the armor, would it really be that bad if when two people grabbed on the same frame the grab simply missed? I suppose it would look weird, but it would be more fair. I understand the issue of not having a grab break animation... Admittedly having a grab break animation would be better if it were possible, but even though it probably can't be added, both characters missing wouldn't look too weird and it (hopefully) wouldn't happen too often. Hell, if it does happen often that only means that the port advantage means even more.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Port priority doesn't affect grabs anymore iirc. It does affect who takes knockback when a grabber and grabbee are hit simultaneously though- the player closer to port 1 takes the knockback.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Port priority doesn't affect grabs anymore iirc. It does affect who takes knockback when a grabber and grabbee are hit simultaneously though- the player closer to port 1 takes the knockback.
I think you mean damage, not knockback. It's what people keep calling "grab armor" even though its not armor and its the same as Melee, just that you take damage instead of no damage.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I think you mean damage, not knockback. It's what people keep calling "grab armor" even though its not armor and its the same as Melee, just that you take damage instead of no damage.
he's not talking about getting hit during a grab. he's talking about "i grabbed you. my teammate now comes up and fsmashes us both because he's in a rush. i get hit, you stay still. THANKS SAKURAI!"

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
One of the things I'm pretty sure port priority does still affect is for Snake's grenades. Though it's reverse so P4 gets priority (this is why if you watch Prof he is always P4).

Bazkip

Smash Master
Even if it's not the topic on hand, if that's the wrong thing to call it then what is the proper term?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Even if it's not the topic on hand, if that's the wrong thing to call it then what is the proper term?
Grab priority? Idk, what was it called in Melee? Just call it that, its the same mechanic.

I'm guessing it was never named because when it happened in Melee the grabber probably just thought they had incredible spacing/timing and therefore didn't get hit when they grabbed. It's easier to notice that they got hit when they actually take damage from it in P:M.

Last edited:

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
The outcome of certain concurrent events, such as two characters being KOd or attempting to grab each other simultaneously, are determined by port priority. For unknown reasons, in Brawl. Port priority also influences the outcome of situations in which two characters are attacked during a grab, through an effect known as Faux Super Armour.
Faux super armor is still in PM.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
he's not talking about getting hit during a grab. he's talking about "i grabbed you. my teammate now comes up and fsmashes us both because he's in a rush. i get hit, you stay still. THANKS SAKURAI!"
Is there a video of this somewhere? Unless I did something wrong, I tried to replicate it by having Zelda grab Ness and then using Ike and hitting them both with F-Smash. I wasn't using teams but that shouldn't matter because they can still hit each other in teams. When I hit with the F-Smash, at one point I ended up spacing improperly and only hitting Ness which caused Zelda to go into a grab break. The other time I tried it, I hit both Zelda and Ness and did not see much of a difference in KB as they both were sent flying.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Is there a video of this somewhere? Unless I did something wrong, I tried to replicate it by having Zelda grab Ness and then using Ike and hitting them both with F-Smash. I wasn't using teams but that shouldn't matter because they can still hit each other in teams. When I hit with the F-Smash, at one point I ended up spacing improperly and only hitting Ness which caused Zelda to go into a grab break. The other time I tried it, I hit both Zelda and Ness and did not see much of a difference in KB as they both were sent flying.
Easiest way to test it would be to have Snake pull out a grenade and get grabbed, then let the grenade detonate.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
maybe i'm confusing the explosions with all knockback? i'm relatively sure it's all knockback, but i remember it being explosions for sure in brawl...

****ing sakurai. y u do dis?

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Hey, messed around with it and I think I know why it's not working for you every time.

I think if the hitbox doesn't hit the graber and grabee at the same time, then they will both get hit. There are two easy ways to show this though. If Snake is port 4, drops a grenade using his shield and then grabs someone from that spot, the explosion will only hit the person he grabbed. Also, if Snake is port 4 and someone grabs him when he had a grenade out, the grenade will again only hit the opponent, not Snake.

I think the way it works is if your port # is > than the port # of your opponent, then when you both get hit during a grab, only your opponent will get hit.

I tested this with Ike F-smash and this port priority is true for it as well, but it's harder to get a spacing that hits both opponents at the same time. I used Kirby, Ike, and Snake all facing left and as close to each other as possible. Snake, who was in the middle grabbed Kirby who was on the left and then I f-smashed with Ike. Since Kirby was a lower port than Snake (for me), only Kirby was hit. However, if I have Kirby grab Snake they both get hit simply because f-smash hits Snake first (because height).

Because of port priority, in matches with Snake especially, it is a clear advantage to have a higher port. I really feel like this shouldn't be a thing, and I'm not quite sure why it is in Brawl in the first place. I'm pretty sure it was carried over from brawl (though not 100% certain).

Edit: er... sorry I didn't take video but it should be easy to replicate. I also don't have recording equipment or someone to hold a camera atm.

Last edited:

Jadeyes

Smash Rookie
Thank you BlackRain. I asked because I was hosting a tournament this weekend and was surprised to learn that project m tourneys still had rules regarding port selection. It's disappointing that it's till in the game. I don't really see how it has a place in a competitive environment. Perhaps the PMBR has run into technical limitations when it comes to removing it?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I have the same issue, I have to use a white controller.
The whites are just better then everything else.
I prefer the black ones, you racist. Lol, I jest. But the black controller's been with me all the time. :)

Last edited:

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
I screwed around with Gannondorf for a while, and SDing with his aerial "chokeabitch" while taking the other guy down with him only lets him win if he has a controller port closer to 1 then the other player.
On the other hand, if Gannondorf is player 3, and the other player is either player 1 or 2, and Gannondorf uses an aerial side B to slam the other guy out of the stage, it will go to sudden death.
If player 3 Gannondorf manages to land another aerial side B while in sudden death, THEN player three gets the win.
"-Ganondorf always wins when he suicides with Side B" Project M's 3.0 changelog.
This doesn't seem to be the case, but I could be doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom