• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Underground and Reslived Present: Project M v3.6 Tier List

With the PMDT disbanded and Project M v3.6 as its final release, many players have been wondering where the characters will end up falling on a tier list now that the game will have time to settle. The folks at PM Underground have worked with Reslived to publish a tier list voted on by 50 Project players across various countries and show the findings from this poll. Ready to see the tier list? Give it a look!

Note: Tiers Are In Order

Many things were factored into the tier list such as the results spread, specific character placements, and more. The full data on the entire list and its forming is available on PM Underground in its official release article. Agree or disagree with the list? Do some characters need shuffling? Tell us in the comments below and be sure to check out the official release article on PM Underground for more information!

Last edited:

Comments

I dunno. I think it's too soon for a tier list like that, but it works as a base to discuss and improve.
Then again, this one was at least well made, could be interesting to see the community reactions.

Last edited:
OH GOD ALREADY! Oh well... Better late than never I guess... I think Ally can make Ike look like someone who can be in the exceptional tier list... That's just me. Who are some of the 50 PM players from the PM underground?

This feels a little early, especially since some of the characters don't have a lot of representation in tournaments. I can't think of anyone who plays Charizard, for instance, so I can't imagine there would be much to go on regarding his tier placement. Hopefully some of the less-used characters will get experimented with a little more in the coming months/years and help us refine this a little!

Exceptional, significant, competitive, viable. While I agree all of the characters have at least these varying levels of merit thanks to the careful balancing work over the years, ya don't have to rub it in. Some of us are sensitive about our favorite game's lists of unviable characters.

And Bowser is bottom tier again... Feels a bit disappointing to see as it's the coolest Project M character to watch matches of imo

Last edited:
Exceptional, significant, competitive, viable. While I agree all of the characters have at least these varying levels of merit thanks to the careful balancing work over the years, ya don't have to rub it in. Some of us are sensitive about our favorite game's lists of unviable characters.
You ought not be so sensitive about trivial things!
Especially when those things are beyond your control.
Besides, meritocracy is where it's at.
None of this 'everyone is a winner and we should appease them' falsehood.

Last edited:
D
Seeing Fox in that spot kinda feels like the balancing part of this project has failed.

Seeing Fox in that spot kinda feels like the balancing part of this project has failed.
From the Reddit thread:
"As the meta develops for PM, Fox's place in the tier list will most likely go down. However, even with all the nerfs, Fox's gameplan is still really close to what it is in Melee, and characters with 10 years of meta development are all mostly high tier (you can see similar trends w/ Marth, Falco, Falcon, Sheik), so it's not too expected that Fox would be at the top"

The tier list is based on the meta in the moment, and it seems the top players that voted on the list are saying he'll move down over time. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:
I feel like tiers in this game mean much less than in Melee because everybody is viable to the point that even the best characters have bad matchups and even the worst characters have good matchups.

Fox at the very top and Kirby and Bowser are bottom two? This truly is Melee Hel-- *shot*

I'm curious to see how far Wario can be pushed in the meta. As someone who was part of the scene for some time, but eventually left because I wasn't fond of the community but still enjoys the game, I'm excited to see how far he'll advance or dip from here on out.

D
Once upon a time, PM Zelda was very good, perhaps even worthy of high tier. But then people bi*ched and moaned that she was too annoying so they nerfed her back down to where she "belongs."

The end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looking at this reminds me of one of my favorite parts of the game: balance.
Just look at the tiers! Bottom tier characters are "viable". Every character is viable, so you don't have to have separate "main" and "fun" characters because whatever character that is fun for you is at least viable.

Those tier names are dumb, is this a tier list or PM propaganda?
"our game is perfectly balanced, everybody is super viable, we swear!"
Be honest...

Last edited:
Those tier names are dumb, is this a tier list or PM propaganda?
"our game is perfectly balanced, everybody is super viable, we swear!"
Be honest...
PM isn't perfect, but it is more balanced than most, if not all, of the other Smash games. It is the community's current belief that every character in the roster is viable competitively, though certain characters are definitely better off than others; thus, the current names were probably used to avoid the connotations of the traditional S/A/B/C tier name scheme.

Last edited:
PM isn't perfect, but it is more balanced than most, if not all, of the other Smash games. It is the community's current belief that every character in the roster is viable competitively, though certain characters are definitely better off than others; thus, the current names were probably used to avoid the connotations of the traditional S/A/B/C tier name scheme.
I personally prefer using the Pokemon Smogon format when it comes to these characters. Makes more sense. Overused, Underused, Rarelyused, and Partiallyused (PU those poor Pokemon ********...) Exclude the Uber format and this is actually a much more sensible tier list format than the S/A/B/C or this tier format that they went with...

Also, ew at 3.6. Bring us 3.61 instead with all of the bug fixes and new alts!

This feels a little early, especially since some of the characters don't have a lot of representation in tournaments. I can't think of anyone who plays Charizard, for instance, so I can't imagine there would be much to go on regarding his tier placement. Hopefully some of the less-used characters will get experimented with a little more in the coming months/years and help us refine this a little!
Mask, one of the players who voted for this under the Tri-state area mains Charizard. Pretty sure he goes by Blunted Maske here on smashboards.

D
I personally prefer using the Pokemon Smogon format when it comes to these characters. Makes more sense. Overused, Underused, Rarelyused, and Partiallyused (PU those poor Pokemon ********...) Exclude the Uber format and this is actually a much more sensible tier list format than the S/A/B/C or this tier format that they went with...

Also, ew at 3.6. Bring us 3.61 instead with all of the bug fixes and new alts!
Pokemon differs a lot from Smash, Smogon tier lists are decided by usage.
(PU doesn't mean Partially Used, PU has no meaning)

Fighting game tier lists are decided by matchups/viability/and tools and not by usage in tournaments, though influenced.

Do not get confused by this.

In the time before when Zelda was good and then the complaints rolled in. RIP. I still think its pretty early but im ok with my mains placement on this list.

Hold on while I try to contain my utter laughter at this horrible excuse for a tier list.
Thanks for helping us all see the light with your detailed and sound reasoning as to why this list is bad. Truly an example for us all.

Sarcasm aside, saying what is wrong with something and why tend to be better than merely saying that something is wrong and leaving it at that.

Just as a heads up; no one deserves their tier placement. So "dethroning fox" so that he's no longer 1st in any tier list was not our intention, but more to balance the cast so that it doesnt matter if you're first or 38th.

The game is way too new to have an accurate tier list. This is more of about which characters have been developed. This list is accurate in a sense that playing these top characters in the current meta will often give you a slight advantage against the majority of the cast, but people should not see this as the god tier list of PM 3.6. This game essentially hasn't out for a full year which is no where near enough time for a tier list, and I hope people understand this.

Fox may or may not change, doubt he will budge much if at all.

Still think the names of the tiers are misplaced but not a big deal. Better to go with S/A/B/C etc. since it keeps it more honest with a list.

No big deal though. Nice to see it made though.

Top Bottom