• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM 3.6 Olimar's Whistle not switching Pikmin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Title of the bug: Olimar's Whistle not switching Pikmin
Version found in: 3.6 Homebrew: Full set
Hardware you are running: Wii
Loading Method: Usb Loader GX 3.0
Details:
1.Start a versus match on any stage with Olimar.
2. Do any move involving his Pikmin and then use his whistle immediately after.
3. His Pikmin lineup doesn't shift.​
Custom Content: Apart from music, nothing.

Last edited:

Boiko

:drshrug:
@ Rᴏb Rᴏb

Hey, I was unable to recreate this glitch, and I believe it may be user error after talking it over with @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword .

I would like to clarify exactly how whistle works and then have you test again if possible.

The whistle is in a set order and will not migrate from that order unless that color pikmin is missing from your lineup. It will also not change if you are KO'd. The order is R>Y>B>W>P. What that means is that if your line up is YRWB and you use a Y-Fsmash, the order becomes RWBY. However, if you whistle, even during the IASA of the move when the Pikmin is out, your lineup will become RYBW.

Here are a few examples:

-You've whistled once already
-Order is BYRW
-Whistle
-Order is YBWR

-You've whistled three times
-Order is RRWY
-Red Fair
-Order is RWYR
-Whistle
-Order is WRRY

-You've whistled twice
-Order is YRYP
-Whistle
-Order is PRYY (skips blue, goes to next pikmin in whistle order)

I've tested your report in frame by frame mode with every move that uses a Pikmin, resetting the match (and thus, randomizing the pikmin order), every time in between.

Please report back when you get a chance.

Narpas_sword

Yea that was my error, on testing I was unaware of the whistles properties.

Considering this is also a smash4 / brawl thing, I'm ready to close the issue.

If an oli main wants to retest to confirm, then that would be fantastic.

Rᴏb

@ Boiko Boiko @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword
I actually wasn't aware of how Olimar's whistle worked, so thanks for that. IIRC, what would happen during the glitch I experienced was that my Pikmin lineup would not shift at all if I used whistle immediately after doing a move. So for example, if my lineup was RWBY and I used a fair, it would shift to WBYR. If I used the whistle after that, it would stay as WBYR. I distinctly remember the light on Olimar's antennae not changing at all. Are there any properties I'm not aware of that whistle/pluck has that would cause this, or did the properties you explained have anything to do with this that I'm simply not understanding?

I could be totally mistaken, but I'm gonna attempt to test this again at some point tonight. I just need to get my PM ISO builder working before I can. I may screenshot/record the results if I can.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

@ Boiko Boiko @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword
I actually wasn't aware of how Olimar's whistle worked, so thanks for that. IIRC, what would happen during the glitch I experienced was that my Pikmin lineup would not shift at all if I used whistle immediately after doing a move. So for example, if my lineup was RWBY and I used a fair, it would shift to WBYR. If I used the whistle after that, it would stay as WBYR. I distinctly remember the light on Olimar's antennae not changing at all. Are there any properties I'm not aware of that whistle/pluck has that would cause this, or did the properties you explained have anything to do with this that I'm simply not understanding?

I could be totally mistaken, but I'm gonna attempt to test this again at some point tonight. I just need to get my PM ISO builder working before I can. I may screenshot/record the results if I can.
Your results are exactly what i got when testing.

But apparently that's not how the whistle is supposed to work.
From what i gathered, whistle and using a move dont change the order in the same method.

Boiko will be able to explain more thoroughly. I hope.

Boiko

Knowing how the whistle works is extremely important in making sure that this isn't actually a bug. Depending on your lineup, you may not see anything change, even though the lineup is seemingly random. For example, if your line up is PRWW and then you fair, your line up will be RWWP and if you whistle, it will remain RWWP.

This will be specifically hard to reset after doing it once. You need to unlink Pikmin, but essentially, they will always migrate to the same order, just in different positions.

Here is how I recommend you go about testing it:
-Start a game
-Make sure that the first two Pikmin in line are not red.
-Attack>Whistle
-If done correctly, the red pikmin will move to the front of the line.

I just tested it a bunch more. The only time the whistle won't work is when the Pikmin is too far from something like side b or forward smash.

And as Narpas said, using attacks and the whistle reset the Pikmin in a different order. It's super useful if you want to use two red fairs for example. Red fair>whistle>red fair.

@ Rᴏb Rᴏb

Last edited:

Rᴏb

Hey @ Boiko Boiko , I just went and tested it and it worked just as you said it would! It made a lot more sense to me as I saw it in action. I don't really think it's that great of a system, but that's neither here nor there. Regardless, thanks for the insight.

You can lock this if you want @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword .

Boiko

Hey @ Boiko Boiko , I just went and tested it and it worked just as you said it would! It made a lot more sense to me as I saw it in action. I don't really think it's that great of a system, but that's neither here nor there. Regardless, thanks for the insight.

You can lock this if you want @ Narpas_sword Narpas_sword .
Yeah, it's weird, haha. I don't even know why I know how it works, LOL.

Glad we could get it resolved though. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom