• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM 3.6 beta Wi fi Addon causes game to crash on charecter select screen

Tadaboody

Smash Cadet
Title: see title: beta Wi fi Addon causes game to crash on charecter select screen
Version : PM 3.6 Beta
Hardware: PAL Wii
Loading method: USB loader GX with SD card
I tried downloading the wi fi addon from the launcher and so it crashed and sent me back to homebrew
ever since then the game crashes every time I go into char select screen
Modes like event match still work though
no custom content
EDIT:
Reinstalling did fix the problem, but now the wifi addon does not appear in the launcher so i cannot try to recreate

Last edited:

nomatophobe

Smash Rookie
This is not a bug. The wifi addon is intended for use on emulators such as dolphin, not on wiis.

Tadaboody

Smash Cadet
This is not a bug. The wifi add-on is intended for use on emulators such as dolphin, not on wiis.
Really? because i meddled a bit with the files and now it works on my wii O.o
Are you sure you aren't referring to the net-play build? because i know for sure that that is for emulators

nomatophobe

Smash Rookie
Oh I thought you were referring to the net-play. But yeah, how did you "meddle with files" to get it to work? i'm actually pretty curious...

Last edited:

Tadaboody

Smash Cadet
Oh I thought you were referring to the net-play. But yeah, how did you "meddle with files" to get it to work? i'm actually pretty curious...
instead of using the launcher to install the addon if you go to /project m/launcher/addons there is a zip file called wifi.7z
inside it are a couple of files which exist in the full set in the same names
replace the originals with the zipped files and you have the wifi addon installed!
didnt think of it myself found it somwhere on the bug report reddit thread where somone had the same problem
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/3axajq/project_m_36_beta_official_bug_thread/

Saspys

Smash Rookie
...replace the originals with the zipped files and you have the wifi addon installed!
Thanks for the info on this :) I'm new to the wifi side of PM and have a question though. If I put my own custom costumes, stage music, etc. into the game will it mess up online play?

Narpas_sword

Thanks for the info on this :) I'm new to the wifi side of PM and have a question though. If I put my own custom costumes, stage music, etc. into the game will it mess up online play?
Over Dolphin netplay, you cant mod anything unless both parties have exactly the same mod files. It will desync.

Over Wii, you might get away with 'wifi safe' mods.
Though those marked as wifi safe for brawl, aren't necessarily so for PM.

Music mods shouldn't desync you.
Costumes you have to be careful about. as long as they're just texture replacements, and not vertex edits / bone edits it should be fine.

keep a backup of unchanged mods, and go ahead and test your modded stuff out though.

Birdo!

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2036-8689-4968
I also had this happen with the wifi addon and I tried deleting and redownloading Project M but sc_selectcharacter.pac will NOT delete or let me copy over it? Do I seriously have to format my SD card or something? :(

Saspys

Smash Rookie
I also had this happen with the wifi addon and I tried deleting and redownloading Project M but sc_selectcharacter.pac will NOT delete or let me copy over it? Do I seriously have to format my SD card or something? :(
Ok I've had this same issue and hopefully this works for you too. So the folder in your SD card that won't delete has to renamed to anything that isn't related to Project M. Mine that couldn't be deleted is something like "F:\projectm\pf\menu2\sc_character.pac". I renamed the "projectm" to "broken" for example. Now back on your computer is where you manually overwrite the files for the wifi addon. After its done move the entire Project M folder to the SD card. Since the file you can't delete is basically not there, it won't ask to be overwritten or anything so you should be good. I think the problem is trying to manually do the addon through the SD card. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom