• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM 3.5 | Yoshi's Unshieldpokable Shield is Shieldpokable

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Title of the bug: Egg poking? Man, I dunno. The title is what it is.

Version found in: First noticed in 3.02, probably existed prior, persisted through 3.5 and most likely 3.6 although I am yet to test

Hardware you are running: Wii, SD card. However, this bug has happened on numerous setups with many different kinds of loading methods, including on Dolphin using netplay and local play.

Loading Method: My own setup is letterbomb, but as stated above, has occurred on all types of setups.

Details: Strangely enough, when Yoshi's shield is hit from awkward angles from below (approximately 45°, but this is just based upon visual observation), it will go through his shield and hit him. As we all know, his shield is intended to be unshieldpokable. This creates the unfortunate situations in which it is not. It's difficult to recreate, but it does happen and does affect the game. I've lost stocks to this unfortunate bug. It most commonly and easily occurs when Yoshi is on a platform and the opponent attacks from below, as this is the most common setup from which an opponent can access that angle. However, some moves which hit at unusual locations close to the ground have poked through it before as well when both Yoshi and the opponent are level on the main stage.

Attachments: http://gfycat.com/FabulousWickedFly In this gif, after I miss the down-b, I'm holding shield the whole time, even through when I get hit. As you can see, Kirby's bair from a weird lower angle breaks through the shield and hits me, even though I did nothing except shield.

Custom Content: My own setup has some, but as previously mentioned it has occurred on many different setups, with and without customized content.

Thanks for your time, consideration, and whatever else you're giving up to read the tears of a sad dinosaur who's unsafe in his own egg. Have a good one. o/

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Dolphin with virtual SD card method using Gecko and running 3.6 Beta without any custom content and I can confirm that it's still present.

I grabbed Yoshi and Falcon and went to training mode and chose Brawl Battlefield. I put Yoshi in one of the lowest platforms and had him use shield while poking with Falcon's up tilt from below. Hitting Yoshi's shield in its lowest possible point results in the hit going through the shield. In Falcon's up tilt case, you need to be exactly below Yoshi.

Last edited:

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Dolphin with virtual SD card method using Gecko and running 3.6 Beta without any custom content and I can confirm that it's still present.

I grabbed Yoshi and Falcon and went to training mode and chose Brawl Battlefield. I put Yoshi in one of the lowest platforms and had him use shield while poking with Falcon's up tilt from below. Hitting Yoshi's shield in its lowest possible point results in the hit going through the shield. In Falcon's up tilt case, you need to be exactly below Yoshi.
Thanks man, I appreciate you testing it while I can't for a bit.

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
I've attached a gfycat of the glitch happening. It happened there on 3.6b netplay, but it's also happened before on normal setups.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Yoshi has been able to be shield-poked since Brawl, due to a small part of his foot hurtbox extending past the shield. It's invisible, as far as I know, and very small, but it's present.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why they just don't make his body invincible while in shield. Would solve this problem pretty easily, no?

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
I don't understand why they just don't make his body invincible while in shield. Would solve this problem pretty easily, no?
I agree, something like full body intangibility while holding shield would solve it pretty well from what it seems like it is. Hopefully DT is aware of it and it's a quick fix. Dunno who to directly contact about Yoshi stuff though.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
I agree, something like full body intangibility while holding shield would solve it pretty well from what it seems like it is. Hopefully DT is aware of it and it's a quick fix. Dunno who to directly contact about Yoshi stuff though.
They don't listen to posts about Yoshi sadly. I had to basically make a post criticizing them all and saying how awful they are before they recognized that there were undocumented changes to side-b (eggroll).

Narpas_sword

They don't listen to posts about Yoshi sadly.
I personally read every bug report.
If I can then verify it as a bug, it gets presented to the team.
Otherwise i try to talk to the Topic creator to understand the problem further.

This has been read, triaged, and a feasible solution is being sought.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
I personally read every bug report.
If I can then verify it as a bug, it gets presented to the team.
Otherwise i try to talk to the Topic creator to understand the problem further.

This has been read, triaged, and a feasible solution is being sought.
Glad to hear. Our complaints fell on deaf ears for far too long, but I'm glad that this is changing.

Top Bottom