• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

DragonRob20

Smash Apprentice
Let me just say, Smash will always be a billion times better then PSAS. But smash is the reason I love the whole "Multiple franchises fighting each other" genre. Like Marvel vs Capcom. I am just a sucker for favorite video game characters fighting each other. and PS All-Stars is no exception. I enjoyed owning it and playing it. I really like the cast of characters since I am a Sony fan at heart (even with the lack of Crash and Spyro). Yeah the mechanics sucks and the game has balance issues and just beyond glitchy in online mode....but its still fun with friends going all casual like and it had some good ideas, just didnt work out. I personally dig the fusing of 2 franchises stages in 1.

Anybody here at lease played it and somewhat enjoyed it despite its flaws? Msg me for my PSN if you guys actually still play online with it :D

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Well, I certainly still play the game.
Dante main at heart, though since he can't handle a buttload of Match Ups I've been leaning towards Fat Princess and Cole a lot recently.

I definitly still enjoy the game. I mean yea, the overall mechanics are pretty.. meh.. but hey, it has Dante so I just had to keep playing it. lol
And the online is at least somewhat playable even though it has soooo many glitches. Still more playable than Brawls online to say the least.

Last edited:

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Fat Princess never really was overpowered honestly. I mean yea she was pretty stupid at release (and still kinda is), but I wouldn't consider her oerpowered. She's kinda like Melee Sheik in my book, just a really good Top Tier character.

But yea, Kat is beyond overpowered. Not just that, she's also stupidly glitchy. All that combined lead to her being the best character in the game by far, with some of her "worst" MU's being 7/3s. Yes, she's like Meta Knight on crack. So, as you could imagine, she's banned from competetive play right now.

Hopefully the (hopefully soon) coming patch will nerf her a lot and also fix most of her really bad glitches, like actually consistently slowing down the game. Other characters that definitly need rather huge adjustments would be Raiden and Isaac, but they are no where near as stupid as Kat is.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I hope they buff Fat Princess's air minion throw again. Slowing it down made her feel really awkward.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
It essentionally has the exact same use as before, you just have to use it more carefully/smarter. Now you actually have to use your brain if you want to catch your opponents roll and whatnot, unlike pre 1.10 where you could just throw it out and get free level 1 kills.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Little Sister should've been playable instead of Big Daddy

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
They posted a few general mechanic changes recently, seen here:
http://community.us.playstation.com...Battle/Some-Patch-Notes-You-Say/td-p/43282740

But yes, a full list is going to be released once the patch drops.
Also, take a look at this. Hopefully more people will consider trying out this game once the patch drops.
http://community.us.playstation.com...ament-at-The-Runback-w-Level-Up/td-p/43282822
Interesting... Not gonna lie. Totally up for picking this up again. I miss playing Sir Dan despite how bad he is. lol

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Well, CrossoverMan, they promised this patch to us since August of last year technically, and people have been asking for this since forever, so it'd only make sense to still support this game (considering there still are thousends playing it daily).

Yep, the changes look amazing so far. Dan will also have a combo from up throw now considering he wasn't mentioned like Jak and Sweet Tooth were, so that's good.
Dante benefits from these changes so much, especially the added lag from jumping around. He's already great at catching landings, now he'll have an even easier time.
I'd say, if you still have the game, just hop on training mode and try to get a feel for it again. I'm sure Dan will get buffed heavily, too.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Singles was really annoying, but doubles was absolutely amazing. Me and my cousin got really close to black. We both generally switched off between Raiden and Radec.

With all these drastic changes, I might try this out again.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
So yea, patch has been released. Isaac/Raiden/Cole and Kratos don't carry anymore. The game is now more centered around level 2 kills, with only a few characters like Sweet Tooth keeping non-situational Level 1 kill confirms. (aka combo into supers)

Nariko and Jak have been significantly improved. Sir Daniel got nice changes that make him at bottom of High Tier-ish. Isaac has been significantly nerfed.
Overall, really happy with the patch so far. Still some glitches in here, but it's a lot more enjoyable then 1.10/1.11 was.

The full patch notes list can be found here:
http://community.us.playstation.com...ltimate-Update-Full-Change-List/td-p/43322250

Spralwers

Smash Ace
This is awesome stuff. Gonna definitely try to take another stab at doubles online. My favorite, Toro, actually got buffed overall, and I was still able to handle the old top tiers really well before the buffs. Now I can body them. Looking forward to seeing a variety of characters all performing well.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
If you ever want to play let me know. I'd be up for some 2v2s or 1v1s even.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I find the entire project incredibly tragic, as it was pretty much doomed from the start. The first problem with it is the fact that Sony doesnt own many franchises and characters that put them on the map. The second is Sony's attitude towards the project, basically using it as a cheap promotional tool for new games and not giving a single bother about it, meaning the budget and time ware tight. That led to things like companies owning those franchises not taking it seriously and treat it just like the marketing tool it is by insisting on current, sometimes downright unpopular representatives of the series tied to Playstation (like DmC Dante instead of DMC3 Dante, Raiden instead of Snake, Lightning was supposed to make an apperance intead of Cloud before they backed out altogether, and you know something is VERY wrong with your game if even Lightning refuses to cameo in it) instead of the most popular ones, or request enormous sums of money in order to have them included (like Crash). That made the developers of this game literally scrounge for characters, leading to double Coles, Big Daddy, Isaac Clarke ect.

Ok, so the roster is bad, but what about the game? Well, looking at menus alone points to there not being enough resources to polish things up, not to mention the character models look half-done and clash with one another instead of having an unified style (some of them look like ripped straight from the games they came from). The combat system is somewhat fine, but there are balance issues up the wazoo, not to mention some ideas and mechanics that didnt work out all that well that could have been polished or avoided if more testing was possible, like killing only using supers or the stage clash thing that only makes everything a mess to follow.

That leads us to another tragic thing about it, the developer Superbot. It was theyr first game, and they really did theyr best with what they ware given, but they ware sentenced to die with this project the second they ware assigned to it. Its sad because if given enough money, time and resources I think they could have pulled it off, they ware on the right track with it and the spirit is there (final boss being Polygon Man was genius, but the fight with him pretty much sucked because, againt, time and money).

So, in the end, its a somewhat playable shell of something that could have been so much better, maybe even rival Smash if done right. But it was done wrong, on the simple ground of Sony not giving a damn.

Now, is it even possible to make a game like this good? Certainly, but it requires certain ajustments that boild down to a single point: a game like this has to be HUGE. Sony has to take this project seriously, and while copying Smash also copy its philosophy of it being a celebration of the brand, a BIG event. So, you need to invest lots of money into things like marketing, budget and of course getting all the right characters in it. Give the project to your best people (though as I said, Superbot could have handled it just fine), and give them all the time in the world to make sure its the best possible product. Make it a system seller, a HUGE deal that would make companies WANT theyr characters in it. It would probably require Sony to sink millions of dollars into it with no guarantee of making the money back, but thats what the game would be, a celebration, the ultimate vanity project that MIGHT with time make its money back, but you have to be patient and ready for losses. The game would grow a big following, if balanced properly even make it to official tournaments, and would be remembered and loved instead of hated and mocked as a half-assed Smash clone. Basically, the game would need to be a huge risk, a risk that Sony would need to be willing to take. Heck, make it a PS4 launch title to REALLY give it a head start. But, thats all just fantasy and whats done is done, such shame.

Anyways, heres my idea of what the roster could have been (taking into consideration the whole PS4 launch title idea):

The bottom red row would be unlockables, mostly tied to other franchise representatives except for the two indie characters (representing the new era of indie-friendly Sony) and Gene, because why the heck not, we need some obscure characters to shake up the roster.

So, that would be it for my take on the game. Than you for reading this overly long post.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Let me just say, Smash will always be a billion times better then PSAS. But smash is the reason I love the whole "Multiple franchises fighting each other" genre. Like Marvel vs Capcom. I am just a sucker for favorite video game characters fighting each other. and PS All-Stars is no exception. I enjoyed owning it and playing it. I really like the cast of characters since I am a Sony fan at heart (even with the lack of Crash and Spyro). Yeah the mechanics sucks and the game has balance issues and just beyond glitchy in online mode....but its still fun with friends going all casual like and it had some good ideas, just didnt work out. I personally dig the fusing of 2 franchises stages in 1.

Anybody here at lease played it and somewhat enjoyed it despite its flaws? Msg me for my PSN if you guys actually still play online with it :D
You and me both my friend, I love crossovers and I love when characters from other franchises show up as guests in another game.

Playstation All-Stars for me was an interesting case because it was coming out the same year that my third 360 died and since I didn't want it to happen again I decided toinvest in a PS3 instead of a new 360 and in all honesty, the PS3 that I bought in 2012 was my first ever Sony console so I had NO experience with Playstation exclusives. I heard of All-Stars when it went by a different name, i can't remember but I remember seeing the mini teaser of Sweet Tooth's model when I used to frequent the Capcom Unity forums.

It wasn't until Big Daddy was announced that I got interested in the game because I loved Bioshock but I didn't want Big Daddy to be the only reason i bought the game, at least at that point in time so I decided that as a way to wait for Playstation All-Stars to arrive i would get to what I missed during the PS1 and PS2 days, I bought the Jak, Ratchet, God of War and Sly collections that came out at the time, I already got Infamous covered cause I shose Infamous 1 as my first PS3 game and despite the obvious unpolished nature of it I enjoyed what I played enough to get Infamous 2. I got the Uncharted 1 and 2 bundle and eventually Uncharted 3, I bought Twisted Metal 2 off of PSN and even before these two were announced as DLC, I got Starhawk because I enjoyed it after playing it on the PS3 stand at Gamestop, I eventually got a Vita and played Gravity Rush to the end because I had Playstation Plus and Gravity Rush was free there so I thought why the hell not. For everyone else in All-Stars I just watched playthroughs and cutscene compilations of their game, except for Toro, I had trouble finding play throughs of his game and I already knew who Big Daddy, Heihachi and Dante were, I brough up Bioshock earlier, I've played a fewTekken games in arcades and I bought the DMC collection before I heard of All-Stars.

So as you can see I took the time to educate myself before the game came out, I enjoyed most of what I played and watched and it did make me appreciate the characters in All-Stars more, I understood the origins of their attacks, I understood why their move set is the way they were (Though after playing Metal Gear Rising I was seriously wondering why none of the sub weapons weren't part of Raiden's move set in All-Stars but whatever.) and you know what? I really enjoy All-Stars even to this day I'm still playing it.

I feel like Superbot did a great job, it's a shame their first project ended in failure and I think a big part of that was because of the lack of advertising.

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I'm in agreement about the tragic part.

(Though after playing Metal Gear Rising I was seriously wondering why none of the sub weapons weren't part of Raiden's move set in All-Stars but whatever.)
That's most likely because PSABR came out before MGR did.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I really want to poll the PSBA community. It only seems like the next leap. Could you guys give me some franchises to look into for characters? Both Sony and Third party?

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I really want to poll the PSBA community. It only seems like the next leap. Could you guys give me some franchises to look into for characters? Both Sony and Third party?
The Jak, Ratchet, Sly and God of War collections that came out in 2012 are really good starts, I believe there's one for Infamous as well, I know Uncharted has one but only for the first two games.

Basically if you want an action platformer go for Sly, Ratchet and/or Jak, if you want nothing but raw action you go for God of War, Metal Gear Rising, DmC or Heavenly Sword, if you want an FPS look for Killzone, dynamic games that have a high emphasis on story are up Uncharted and Bioshock's ally, Tekken for a fighting game, ect. They're pretty varied selections.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So... someone, tell me, as I have not kept track on this. That Battle Royale Round 2 leak from right Before E3, was it confirmed fake, or does no one simply know yet?

Booster

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to troll anyone here or state opinion...just facts. This game is the lowest form of Franchise Fighter. This game has ****ty gameplay that is unacceptable for this type of game, Cartoon Network Super Punch Time Explosion was better then this ****. I forgot to mention, including DLC, this game doesn't even have as many characters as Melee, a 2001 game (That is still amazing to play, but really, PS3 should've outdone Gamecube) from when the Gamecube was first released (Not a launch title). Only 24 characters...in a Fighting game from 2012? WHAT THE ACTUAL ****!?!? That's ****ing pathetic.

Seriously, 24 ****ing characters, all of them done poorly? **** like this is why I'm buying a Wii U before PS4, if Sony thinks they can release a 24 character fighter with piss poor gameplay at $60, they can eat a **** covered ****.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
^That's an opinion.

Anyway, I still enjoy this game and I even come back to it after Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS launched. I like the gameplay and the way the movesets were designed (which I think is better than Smash Bros.) and I hope to see a sequel with the key characters from the PS1 era (Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, and Cloud). I think this can become a huge franchise that can match Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
^That's an opinion.

Anyway, I still enjoy this game and I even come back to it after Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS launched. I like the gameplay and the way the movesets were designed (which I think is better than Smash Bros.) and I hope to see a sequel with the key characters from the PS1 era (Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, and Cloud). I think this can become a huge franchise that can match Smash Bros.
I hope you're right because I need something to play on my brand new Playstation 4.

GoldWindRequiem

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicochetRocket
Only 24 characters...in a Fighting game from 2012? WHAT THE ACTUAL ****!?!? That's ****ing pathetic.
Under Night In-Birth has about 14 characters, Guilty Gear Xrd has about 14 (17 if you count the DLC), Skullgirls originally had about 8, etc.

You are right that most of the characters in PSASBR are poorly crafted (Hell, the whole game honestly feels poorly crafted), but you can't deny the fact that there are fighting games that came after PSASBR that have had less characters. So honestly, 24 characters in total for a fighting game isn't exactly all that bad. Sure, it's worse than Brawl, but still.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Under Night In-Birth has about 14 characters, Guilty Gear Xrd has about 14 (17 if you count the DLC), Skullgirls originally had about 8, etc.

You are right that most of the characters in PSASBR are poorly crafted (Hell, the whole game honestly feels poorly crafted), but you can't deny the fact that there are fighting games that came after PSASBR that have had less characters. So honestly, 24 characters in total for a fighting game isn't exactly all that bad. Sure, it's worse than Brawl, but still.
I don't think the characters were done poorly (unless you mean the balance). I think they were awesome, really. The movesets were very detailed and fun.

As for the roster, let's not forget the first Smash Bros. was released in 1999 with only 11 characters, while other games like Soul Calibur and Tekken 3 had about 20 characters.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
In retrospect, the three things I like and defend about this game are Radec(because I like Killzone), Sir Daniel(because I liked MediEvil) and a few select music tracks(which, btw, I don't defend that much). Everything else is balls. Sure, it had potential, but it was doomed from the beginning.

Online is plagued with glitches and hackers, needs no explanation. I'd link some admittedly hilarious glitches that I happened to record here, but my tablet is balls for that. I'll link later. The community is a huge mixed bag that would be a massive expository wall of text if I tried to cover it(but you're welcome to ask me elsewhere).

Pretty much the only reason I managed to stay in it for two years was because I lacked a new fighting game to pour my time into(my Wii was dead).

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I enjoyed it for what it was. I liked the alt costumes and customizable goodies. I liked Radec, Zeus(GoW did deserve a second character), Kat, Cole, and Isaac (gameplay wise).

However, no Spyro, Crash, Dart, Cloud, Lara, or Chimera made me sad. Not to mention the Brawl physics, horrible Supers system that rewarded stale gameplay, and general lackluster gameplay that got boring quickly. I thought the game was also oddly quiet and the graphics very meh-worthy.

Here's to hoping to Naughty Dog can pick up the pieces, make a good game with iconical characters, and try to set it apart from other crossover games.

And maybe we will see the LastofUs Climbers. That would be fun.

Last edited:

EZdelFresco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaliKid_E
I forgot I even still had this game, but reading these comments is definitely making me wanna get back on. I'm sure I'd be garbage at this point though.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
I forgot I even still had this game, but reading these comments is definitely making me wanna get back on. I'm sure I'd be garbage at this point though.
The game is dead dude, good luck finding anyone online.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Good luck finding anyone on random online. Game's pretty much dead.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I enjoyed it for what it was. I liked the alt costumes and customizable goodies. I liked Radec, Zeus(GoW did deserve a second character), Kat, Cole, and Isaac (gameplay wise).

However, no Spyro, Crash, Dart, Cloud, Lara, or Chimera made me sad. Not to mention the Brawl physics, horrible Supers system that rewarded stale gameplay, and general lackluster gameplay that got boring quickly. I thought the game was also oddly quiet and the graphics very meh-worthy.

Here's to hoping to Naughty Dog can pick up the pieces, make a good game with iconical characters, and try to set it apart from other crossover games.

And maybe we will see the LastofUs Climbers. That would be fun.
I agree that it's too quiet during the fighting but I think the graphics were great.

And let's be honest, the ring-out system allows players to cherry-pick KOs. I personally prefer KOs that I know I worked for.

I'm curious, what do you mean by "set it apart from other crossover games" and the "Brawl physics"?

The game is dead dude, good luck finding anyone online.
Good luck finding anyone on random online. Game's pretty much dead.
Hmm...not quite. There's still a tourney scene.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
With how many people playing? Like 5? The last time I checked there forums there was nothing going on at all, just random crappy posts.
No need to call them crappy. There's a lot of decent discussions on that topic.

Just look on Youtube. They got tourney vids going on even today.

Richtea007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Richtea87
3DS FC
0903-2753-0592
I regularly watch a YouTuber called "Bluedeepdive", who posts online tournaments for PSABR and gameplay videos for other games. Call me crazy but tourneys for this game is really fun to watch, lots of combos and strategy to its KO system.

Overall, this game isn't great by any means but its not terrible either. I think it's really underrated IMO.

Top Bottom