• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing luigi takes a toll on my thumb

livelovenintendo

Smash Cadet
I'm always practicing Luigi. Everyday I practice for at least 15 minutes but I usually go more, like a lot more, practicing movement. Since you have to hit the y button to wavedash, I find myself pressing this a lot. The first time I practiced so much that I got a blister and had to take a break. The second time, I bruised my thumb. But I don't wanna cut back on my practice. Wanted to know what other Luigi mains have to say about this.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I've never had problems with my thumb (with Luigi, but Fox tech tends to tire it out), but have sprained my right middle finger from hitting the R button to wavedash (taking the spring out of the trigger really helped with this, especially on white controllers which have stiffer triggers). You may just be more susceptible to this kind of thing than most people, which is unfortunate. I would recommend seeing a doctor if this happens a lot and getting their advice. Also you might find this guide useful: http://smashboards.com/threads/staying-healthy-a-guide-to-playing-melee-better-and-longer.332355/

Do you hold/use the controller in an unusual way, or is there something different about your controller that could lead to what you've described (damaged button, etc.)? Do you do any other activities that would also wear on your hands significantly (such as playing guitar)?

Since you're describing blistering on your thumb I'm not so sure my advice will apply, but stretching my hands seriously helped me (and even if it doesn't help you so much with your specific problem it will increase the effective lifespan of your hands in general). However, the advice of taking breaks from practicing techskill definitely does apply; seriously, in the long term it gives you back more than you lose from spending slightly less time practicing, and of course the time spent in between sessions resting your hands doesn't have to be entirely wasted. In fact it can be spent completely productively, or on more Smash practice even (in the form of analysing videos and things like that).

I should probably mention that I use the X button to wavedash, sliding my thumb off the right side of it.

Last edited:

livelovenintendo

Smash Cadet
I've never had problems with my thumb (with Luigi, but Fox tech tends to tire it out), but have sprained my right middle finger from hitting the R button to wavedash (taking the spring out of the trigger really helped with this, especially on white controllers which have stiffer triggers). You may just be more susceptible to this kind of thing than most people, which is unfortunate. I would recommend seeing a doctor if this happens a lot and getting their advice. Also you might find this guide useful: http://smashboards.com/threads/staying-healthy-a-guide-to-playing-melee-better-and-longer.332355/

Do you hold/use the controller in an unusual way, or is there something different about your controller that could lead to what you've described (damaged button, etc.)? Do you do any other activities that would also wear on your hands significantly (such as playing guitar)?

Since you're describing blistering on your thumb I'm not so sure my advice will apply, but stretching my hands seriously helped me (and even if it doesn't help you so much with your specific problem it will increase the effective lifespan of your hands in general). However, the advice of taking breaks from practicing techskill definitely does apply; seriously, in the long term it gives you back more than you lose from spending slightly less time practicing, and of course the time spent in between sessions resting your hands doesn't have to be entirely wasted. In fact it can be spent completely productively, or on more Smash practice even (in the form of analysing videos and things like that).

I should probably mention that I use the X button to wavedash, sliding my thumb off the right side of it.
Thanks a lot!

livelovenintendo

Smash Cadet
No I hold the controller normally and all my buttons are fine and the only thing that wears on my hands I do is smash so idk

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
A little late but I had the same problem with project m Luigi. I tried the bidooof strategy of wearing a thin pair of dollar store gloves. I actually lost practically no control and my hands feel fine now.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I've gotten tendinitis in my right thumb from consistent wavedashing -.-

My advice to you is to relax your hand as much as possible, you don't need to push the button so hard, try exerting the least amount of energy possible when wavedashing. You can buy a brace from walgreens to wear at night. Stretch before and after playing. I'm also taking vitamin supplements for my joints.

Top Bottom