• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play test an Indie game inspired by Smash Bros!

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Dan Fornace is developing a new independent game that hopes to capture and innovate on the magic of competitive Smash Bros! Drawing inspiration from Smash 64, Melee and Brawl, he is aiming to create a project that has similar scope and goals to games like Skullgirls and Divekick.

The project is set to be revealed this summer, but now they are looking for playtesters to check out the current state of the game and send them feedback. This is a chance to impact a game that is being made by Smash fans for Smash fans!

In order to apply, please email roa.game@gmail.com with your application. Title the email “Playtester Application – (Your Name or Smash Tag)”

In your application, please answer these questions:
  • Name:
  • Smash Tag:
  • Preferred Smash Game: (64, Melee, Brawl, PM, Flash2, etc.)
  • Years Playing:
  • Favorite Character(s): (Max 3)
  • Tournament Experience: (Never Gone, Local, Regional, National - Pools, Bracket, Top 16, Top 8, Top 4)
  • Number of Opponents: (The number of local friends/family/roommates that you can playtest with)
  • Previous Betas: (List any other games that you playtested or played in alpha/beta. Could be an MMO, Indie Game, MOBA, etc.)
You also need at least two Xinput controllers that you can use on PC to apply. These could be Xbox 360 Controllers, Dualshock 4 controllers or Dualshock 3 controllers.

They are looking for a variety of players in order to get the best kind of feedback. Credit will be given to all playtesters who respond with feedback. If that sounds fun to you then feel free to apply and they will get back to you as soon as possible with details on how to play!

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Im excited to see what kind of characters they come up with. This seems like an interesting project that Im sure Ill get.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I should seriously apply. I have some questions though, will this game cost money? Will it be on Steam?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would love to apply, but I'm not sure if my Logitech controller is enough to allow me to test the game.

I'm interested, and I'm an indie developer myself. (Or at least working on a few projects). Can't wait to see what you guys are doing!

Splice

Smash Hero
It works for Dualshock and Xbox controllers? If the intended audience is largely smash fans, any chance of making it work for people using Gamecube controller adapters?

joefz2

#JoeMania
NNID
blazingjc55
It works for Dualshock and Xbox controllers? If the intended audience is largely smash fans, any chance of making it work for people using Gamecube controller adapters?
well you can buy an adapter for PC that uses the GC controllers as a game controller. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work to map it like that too!

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Fairly certain I saw people playing this at Northwest Majors - unless that was something else. I looked much more clean than the smash flash games

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Well it looks like this is being better recieved than Playstation All-Stars was even though the very reason there was hate for it was because it was considered a Smash Bros clone, just putting that out there.

In case anyone gets the wrong idea I'm not speaking of the people who are commenting on this very post or anyone on this site directly in any way, just a similar amount of people in general.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
This sounds super interesting! I am intrigued. I hope to be a part of the testing team!

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Wait, this is the guy behind Super Smash Land? If anybody else is trying to develop a Smash clone, right now they're screwed for a moment.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
applyed ! Will love to see this game being built and will be a great way to put more people into smash in my town !

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Smash with animals? Totally my idea! Finally I can play as a Cougar on all fours

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Rivals of Aether, huh? Neat name.

I've just applied. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to help with a project with this goal in any way I can.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
You guys think we need a lot of experience to apply and get accepted? I wanna do it, but I don't exactly have the experience in the competitive scene.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
You guys think we need a lot of experience to apply and get accepted? I wanna do it, but I don't exactly have the experience in the competitive scene.
i think it varies... they said they were looking for different types of people... although competitive experience gives us a tighter look when talking about bugs/glitches/framerates and other issues it would be nice (imo) to have some more casual kinda gameplay that might focus on other aspects of the game and not only how competitive we can go with it. Different people will have different focus and opinions which will increase the feedback experience at some points like graphics, audio, background glitches/bugs or how the game could be improved to a better "all user friendly" making it more acessible to masses. Also it's a great experience to anyone to help developing/testing a game.

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
brawl was inspired by a smash game and that game sucked. shall stick to my pretentious ways and only play melee.

EZVega

Smash Cadet
NNID
EZVega
3DS FC
4339-2521-0738
I applied. I'd definitely like to playtest whatever it turns out to be like. I don't get to do that very often and I need a new game to play. That's why I enjoyed Brawl so much. I have my extreme grievances with Brawl, but it isn't a bad game.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I hope they do a good job and community.
Because friendship is too powerful in fighting games.

DarkFlame

Smash Apprentice
I would certainly like to apply, but I've never playtested anything before, so that'll likely take off some points, and I do not have any way to hook my regular PS3 controllers up to it, nor do I even know if regular PS3 controllers are Dualshock 3 or 4.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
Alright, posted my application! Hopefully he'll get back to me, I'm eager to try out a new competitive fighter

SuperGen

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperGen
Applied. I'd be great to play this great game with you guys :)

Top Bottom