• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I just want Itoi to make a game of all the stuff that got cut during the transition from EarthBound 64 to Mother 3.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I would love for the entire trilogy to be redone with some new sections acting as connective tissue tying all three more closely together.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Edit: Never mind, it turned out to be fake.
...if you're an Earthbound/Mother fan, I guess you should set yourself up for disappointment every time there's a rumor of good news (except for Ness in smash).

Seriously, it seems like Nintendo isn't paying much attention to the Earthbound/Mother fanbase as of right now (except Sakurai, but Lucas didn't get in for whatever reason; we'll see how much he cares when DLC comes around).

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Even if it isn't real, I think there's a good chance we'll be getting mother 3. I don't think reggie would make that joke back at E3 just to make fun of the fans, that's a bit cruel

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
To advertise StarFox U or due to time constraints, maybe. I don't know, but those are two of my theories.
or nintendo hate us mother fans

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
The fact that Earthbound bombed when it first came out in America is definitely a factor. In Japan, Itoi himself has said he considers the series finished. Hopefully, the success of Earthbound on VC will help encourage stuff like the rumored Earthbound Forever.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
The fact that Earthbound bombed when it first came out in America is definitely a factor. In Japan, Itoi himself has said he considers the series finished. Hopefully, the success of Earthbound on VC will help encourage stuff like the rumored Earthbound Forever.
Although, things do change. It's been 8 years since mother 3 came out. Who says he couldn't change his mind?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Personally? I hope he doesn't. The Mother trilogy is great as-is, and Mother 3 doesn't really have a sequel hook like 1 with Giegue promising to return and 2 with Porky going on a time journey.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
it bombed due to advertisment

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Hey, was it only the unreleased American version that had Ninten's dad phone him at the end of the game?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I think... but even so, the original Mother had Giegue swearing to return for his revenge.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
To be fair, Mother 2 was originally designed to leave it ambiguous as to whether Ness was the same person as Ninten, but by this point it's pretty clear they're separate.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The penny just dropped for me that the two semi-clone veterans missing in Smash 4 are two of my mains in Brawl.

Funny how that works. Well, I have faith in the little guy. Now that we know that Mewtwo will take roughly four months to complete, there's no reason why adding Lucas and Wolf should be a technical stumbling block.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Man playing as Ness just makes me miss Lucas' upsmash even more.

Lucas, Wolf and maybe Snake in a DLC pack wold be the best thing ever.
Am thinking they'll release a sort of clone, or semi-clone DLC pack starring Wolf, Lucas, and maybe a few newcomers that could be semi-clones as Dixie Kong and Impa. At least, that's what I am hoping for.

I said this in the Wolf thread already, but I felt that cutting Wolf and Lucas but adding characters like Lucina, Dark Pit and even bringing Dr.Mario back as a huge step back. Wolf and Lucas only REALLY had two moves in exact the same usage as Fox and Ness, namely their Down B's and Final Smashes.

Lucas was also a character I actively supported pre-Brawl, thanks to these boards who helped me 'get' Mother 3. Which I felt was an amazing game. Not as great as Earth Bound maybe, but still awesome in it's own rights. So I was quite upset to see Lucas being cut. Now with DLC though, there's no excuse for not adding back at least Wolf and Lucas with this.

Put me on the supporters list to if there's one.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Am thinking they'll release a sort of clone, or semi-clone DLC pack starring Wolf, Lucas, and maybe a few newcomers that could be semi-clones as Dixie Kong and Impa. At least, that's what I am hoping for.

I said this in the Wolf thread already, but I felt that cutting Wolf and Lucas but adding characters like Lucina, Dark Pit and even bringing Dr.Mario back as a huge step back. Wolf and Lucas only REALLY had two moves in exact the same usage as Fox and Ness, namely their Down B's and Final Smashes.

Lucas was also a character I actively supported pre-Brawl, thanks to these boards who helped me 'get' Mother 3. Which I felt was an amazing game. Not as great as Earth Bound maybe, but still awesome in it's own rights. So I was quite upset to see Lucas being cut. Now with DLC though, there's no excuse for not adding back at least Wolf and Lucas with this.

Well, to be fair, that's why they were added. They took no time or effort to add and it's hardly fair to compare them to unique characters like Wolf and Lucas.

Technically there weren't supposed to be any clones in this game at all. None of the newcomers that were planning to be added are clones in any any, shape or form.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Well, to be fair, that's why they were added. They took no time or effort to add and it's hardly fair to compare them to unique characters like Wolf and Lucas.

Technically there weren't supposed to be any clones in this game at all. None of the newcomers that were planning to be added are clones in any any, shape or form.
I think these two have a really good shot at coming back.:lucas::wolf:
Let's not forget how many characters share one or two moves that are wither carbon copies or very similar to their originals.
:4pit::4darkpit:
:4mario::4luigi::4drmario:
:4marth::4lucina:
:4fox::4falco:
:4link::4tlink:
:4falcon::4ganondorf:
And need I even bring up counters?
:4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4palutena::4peach::4shulk: I'm sure he's got one too:4mii::4miisword:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

Pretty much it, i feel like there was no logical reason to cut Lucas, and Wolf would be really great to promote the new Starfox.

I would like to see some revamp to maybe one or two of Lucas' specials, and even without it he's still pretty different from Ness (same with Wolf), see, this is a thing i liked from Brawl newcomers that are "semi-clones" they were far more unique than their counterparts, to the point i feel like is kind of weird calling them semi-clones.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think Wolf and Lucas need many changes, if at all. They already stand out on their own thanks to their drastically different A moves. I hardly consider them clones given the so many differences between them and Fox and Ness.

Also, can the :4darkpit::4lucina: hate stop? I want Lucas and Wolf back as much as many people want, but blaming other characters' inclusion is just petty... I think all characters could coexist, which is honestly the best thing.

Last edited:

flyingmangos

Smash Rookie
I do think it'd be cool if they somehow incorporated Lucas's support/healing/defense role in the party when designing his moveset, but I think he's more or less okay as he is. And if leaving him unchanged makes it easier for them to get him into the game I'm all for it.
And while I am upset that he didn't get in, and miss him more than anything, I can definitely understand why other characters would get priority. Lucina and Dark Pit are a lot more relevant than Lucas, since their games came out more recently. I don't really know about Dr. Mario but.
Both Awakening and Uprising were really popular, and I think I remember hearing that Awakening basically single-handedly saved the FE franchise. Also I like playing as Lucina so I really don't mind her being in. :b:
That being said, I really do hope they bring Lucas (and Wolf) back. As already said above, while they're very heavily based off pre-existing characters they have plenty of properties to distinguish themselves. And man I *love* Lucas's attacks. Playing as him is just so, so fun.
They've got lots of fans and a ton of support, and while I'm no game designer, I can't see it being extremely difficult to bring them back. If Mewtwo does well, as I expect he should, then it could definitely open the gates to more DLC like those two. (My only concern is how Lucas and his game seem to be somewhat controversial. I just hope that's not enough to rule against his favor. He was apparently supposed to be in since melee, so hopefully that gives him some extra consideration.)

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
The only thing going against him is relevance really, it's much of a bigger obstacle than people think.
True, but there are also several characters who weren't that relevant who got in/continued to be in Smash such as Ness, Mr. Game & Watch (though he may represent a part of Nintendo history like ROB), Ice Climbers (got cut only due to technical limitations), ROB (vital portion of Nintendo's history however), and DHD (although he was from a very successful shooting game). I wouldn't count him out, especially if there is a Mother 3 VC release.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
People argue that so commonly, but relevance doesn't apply to retro characters at all.
Hmm... True. But Ness wasn't exactly retro or popular when 64 first came out either.

Edit: Actually, not sure how well he was holding up in Japan, but considering many people claim he is the first WTF character, I assume not, even if Earthbound was popular over there.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think relevance is way, way over-considered as a factor in the first place.

I know it doesn't exactly hurt your chances to have been in a recent game, but veterans in particular are immune to the whole relevant / irrelevant fiasco. Otherwise we wouldn't have Ness, Captain Falcon, Sheik and Jigglypuff in the roster.

Top Bottom