• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Have you played Mother 3 yet? I'd personally like yo hear your thoughts on the game.
Of course, man!
I love it, just as much as the other 2 mother games, in fact Mother 3 may be my favorite.
Amazing soundtrack, great (but sad) story, likeable characters, it's a very touching game, i'm really fond of it.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
If Lucas gets added, I want to see a Saturn Valley stage along with him. :happysheep:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Lucas trophy found by Jwittz at the vey least it looks more smash 4ish style now
Look at the little devil :')
Can't wait to see him on the 5th December :')
Does anyone think this will decrease Lucas's chances of DLC? Though, considering Mewtwo...

Just wanted to throw out my support for Mother 3 representation. Lucas would be cool, but Duster or the Masked Man would also be great.
Duster would be nice, but is it wrong for me to think that Masked Man is overrated?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I'm not even sure how Duster would work. He's way too much of a support character.

Personally, I'd prefer Porky, even if he's technically EB representation too.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Masked Man is arguably the most important character in Mother 3, and his move-set potential is probably one of the most unique out of all Mother characters out there. That's why I think he should be in.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
I'm not even sure how Duster would work. He's way too much of a support character.

Whaaaat? You can't imagine it?

He'd have lots of kicks and flips. His neutral-B would be the hypno pendulum! His down-B would be smoke bomb! His side-B would be the siren bug! His recovery?

Wall staples!

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Wall staples don't really work without a wall.

And the main reason I'm not big on Masked Man is that... it feels weird having a perpetually alive Masked Man, you know? Like his death was a really big deal, having him still be alive would be weird - I know Ganondorf died too, but he appeared in many games in different forms and his death wasn't a major thematic turning point.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

And the main reason I'm not big on Masked Man is that... it feels weird having a perpetually alive Masked Man, you know? Like his death was a really big deal, having him still be alive would be weird - I know Ganondorf died too, but he appeared in many games in different forms and his death wasn't a major thematic turning point.
True. That would feel rathe weird to be honest. But biases aside, I'd say we would get lucky to get Lucas back, considering he's a veteran and Sakurai says he hates cutting vets, so...

Whaaaat? You can't imagine it?

He'd have lots of kicks and flips. His neutral-B would be the hypno pendulum! His down-B would be smoke bomb! His side-B would be the siren bug! His recovery?

Wall staples!
For some reason, it's the other way around for me: I can't imagine Porky's moveset, especially since my first intro to him was in Brawl as a boss. But they could make Bowser Jr. + Clown Car work. Porky isn't out of the question even though I think Lucas is more likely.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Porky's got a combination of his attacks and plotline actions in both Earthbound and Mother 3, plus his established boss appearance in Brawl. There's plenty to work from - Porky Bots, tearing into opponents, doing something that manifests as little yellow squares that fly out, releasing a sickening gas, PSI Counter Shield, that thing where he flies up and shoots a laser, hiding in the Pig King Statue, releasing Giygas, using mind control via the Mani Mani Statue... Combine that with the Sakurai-approved methodology of "straight-up making **** up", and you've got a character.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!

Duster whips wall staples while slowly ascending in a diagonal direction. They deal damage and a stun effect to opponents. If they hit a wall, they stick in as a ladder-like property for a short time. At the end of the recovery. Duster makes one last small leap forward before going into fallstate.

If the leap doesn't connect him with one of his staples, he can hopefully vector onto the staples. If he's able to get within close range of them, he'll snap onto them and be able to climb them all the way up or jump back off them.

Even if there are no walls to staple onto, it'll be like a better Little Mac recovery that gives him a nice vertical reach and a bit horizontal. (A lot more than Little Mac, actually, because of the diagonal direction and leap at the end.)

True. That would feel rathe weird to be honest. But biases aside, I'd say we would get lucky to get Lucas back, considering he's a veteran and Sakurai says he hates cutting vets, so...
I thought the veterans are those who were in N64. Not just because they got in one game once.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I thought the veterans are those who were in N64. Not just because they got in one game once.
I thought that Sakurai said he hated cutting characters in general. I consider the veterans those who had been in at least one game, the newcomers none (prior to the game they're introduced in) and the original 12 the Original 12. Original, am I?

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Masked Man is arguably the most important character in Mother 3, and his move-set potential is probably one of the most unique out of all Mother characters out there. That's why I think he should be in.
This. If Mother were to get a 3rd rep, I would love it to be the Masked Man.

Though, I wouldn't mind if we got Porky or Ninten instead.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I'd say Masked Man is my fourth most-wanted Mother newcomer after Porky, Jeff/Lloid, and Ninten. His moveset could be interesting, but as I said it would be weird playing as a character whose death is such a major thematic element.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm gonna stream MOTHER 3 with a friend on the weekend, and since we're better artists than streamers, we always draw title cards:

Noone can destroy my hopes and dreams!!
Unlikely as they may be!

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Is that the guy from Cognitive Dissonance down there next to Travis?

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Is that the guy from Cognitive Dissonance down there next to Travis?
Indeed it is Alinivar from MOTHER: Cognitive Dissonance.

I recently played through the revised version of CogDis, got the best ending and absolutely recommend it to any EarthBound fan (though you should know your MOTHER 1 going into it).

And for those of you living under a rock, Travis is from MOTHER 4.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I'm gonna stream MOTHER 3 with a friend on the weekend, and since we're better artists than streamers, we always draw title cards:

Noone can destroy my hopes and dreams!!
Unlikely as they may be!
Travis kind of looks like me...

That's my cosplay sorted anywho now all I need is to get a stripy green shirt.
I also finally got round to buying Earthbound will start playing it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Yeah, I have that downloaded. Think it was made shortly after Travis's current design was revealed.

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
All right. I haven't been here since before the 3ds release, but I guess I'm stopping by to add my support to the Lucas DLC.
For what that's worth.
Also, yes to Duster or Kumatora making ANY sort of appearance in SSB4, but that has less chance of happening than Nintendo suddenly deciding 2015 will be the year of MOTHER and making Ness a DLC character in Mario Kart.

Which is to say, absolutely and unequivocally no chance whatsoever. In case that wasn't depressingly obvious.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
All right. I haven't been here since before the 3ds release, but I guess I'm stopping by to add my support to the Lucas DLC.
For what that's worth.
Also, yes to Duster or Kumatora making ANY sort of appearance in SSB4, but that has less chance of happening than Nintendo suddenly deciding 2015 will be the year of MOTHER and making Ness a DLC character in Mario Kart.

Which is to say, absolutely and unequivocally no chance whatsoever. In case that wasn't depressingly obvious.
Yeah, I want to add my support too, it's just I don't have high hopes for Lucas DLC unless a worldwide Mother 3 release is suddenly announced, which I don't view as likely either, much less Duster and Kumatora, as awesome as they'd be.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Copy-pasting comments I made on the Wolf thread that are also relevant for Lucas.

Why I believe Lucas and Wolf are the likeliest characters to join Mewtwo as DLC.

If anything, Wolf Flash means Wolf was considered sometime during development. It wouldn't be anything extraordinary if that move is a remnant of development spent on Wolf.

My theory was that time constraints happened, Wolf was scrapped, but they used the data for one of his special moves for Fox's custom moves.

Same goes to Lucas and his special moves being available for Ness.

This is why I think Wolf and Lucas are likely candidates for DLC. They have the most star power of the non-returning characters, alongside Mewtwo (who's coming back as DLC).
Sakurai has stated on Famitsu that he was aware that people missed certain characters. He's not unaware of the fans' reactions, contrary to what many people believe.

Also, remember that he considered Wolf and Lucas for Melee. Wolf was dismissed as being too similar to Fox at the time (remember that Wolf had only one game and wasn't very fleshed out) and Lucas ended up not replacing Ness because Mother 3 was cancelled back then. They both eventually made their way to Brawl. Obviously, Sakurai considers them important for Smash. A similar story happened with Miis and the Villager and look who made into this game...

Plus, Sakurai dislikes cutting characters, stating that every character has fans. In addition to that, he stated at E3 2013 that he wouldn't outright cut characters out of the way, but there was a possibility that everyone wouldn't return due to time constraints. In other words, the sole reasons for cut characters are factors outside of his own decisions, especially tight schedules.

Given the Wii U's current situation, I highly doubt Sakurai would have been able to delay the game. This gives less time to include everything in the same package but since DLC is possible, scrapping content isn't so much of a big deal as more content can be added later on.

I believe Wolf and Lucas are the first in line for DLC. I'm being skeptical to a degree and not take them as granted, but I'm hopeful for their return. They have a lot going for them and their return would satisfy a lot of fans.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form

He could have a moveset of his thief tools. I don't see it happening, though. He's not even close to popular enough, and not as plot-important as Lucas, Masked Man, Porky, or arguably even Kumatora.
Porky's got a combination of his attacks and plotline actions in both Earthbound and Mother 3, plus his established boss appearance in Brawl. There's plenty to work from - Porky Bots, tearing into opponents, doing something that manifests as little yellow squares that fly out, releasing a sickening gas, PSI Counter Shield, that thing where he flies up and shoots a laser, hiding in the Pig King Statue, releasing Giygas, using mind control via the Mani Mani Statue... Combine that with the Sakurai-approved methodology of "straight-up making **** up", and you've got a character.
Agreed. If we get a third rep (or second if Lucas is just a Ness alt), Porky seems like the most logical choice. His EB form could work easily and be a heavyweight character. If they got Bowser Jr's Clown Car to work, they can get Porky's mech too.
Indeed it is Alinivar from MOTHER: Cognitive Dissonance.

I recently played through the revised version of CogDis, got the best ending and absolutely recommend it to any EarthBound fan (though you should know your MOTHER 1 going into it).

And for those of you living under a rock, Travis is from MOTHER 4.
Ooh, I'll have to check it out! It sounds like a neat idea.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
When's somebody gonna make a Brawl hack for Alinivar over Ness?

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
This. Ness, Ninten, Lucas and Porky being in Sm4sh means full Mother representation.

Oh, I'm a supporter, in case it's not obvious.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I'm having so much fun with Lucas in Project M 3.5, and Smash for Wii U coming out just a week after makes me that more excited.

But then i remembered Lucas isn't in Smash 4, which made me upset again.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Honestly, I feel like Lloyd would be better Mother 1 rep. A non-psychic injected into the mix would be a nice change, I think.

Top Bottom