• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Welcome back, Lucas! It's great to see you back as a DLC character! Everyone, feel free to discuss Lucas!! Our boy is back! I bet everyone's as happy as we are, right?

Wanna see how Lucas was brought back in the game? Watch this video!

Also, for those who want to play Mother 3, please check out this link!

Last edited:

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
It's my understanding that Lucas' popularity has skyrocketed since he appeared in Brawl as the master of New Pork City (#312). Alas, I never asked for him in Brawl, nevermind as a Ness clone. Lucas' timid nature means he wouldn't fit well with PØO's moveset. The PK Starstorm is okay, but Ness should've had PSI Rockin instead. The last objection is that he's the second character representing 3 games, 2 of which are Japan only. At least both of Fox's and Falco's games at the time of Melee had been released in America, and Fire Emblem was going into its 6th season, but I think Mother EarthBound is a little overrepresented, and I wouldn't give a cuss if Lucas didn't return in Smash 4.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Just keep the guy true to his character and i'd be fine. It always bugged me the PK brothers never actually learned PK fire, ice, or thunder in there respected games, yet they had em in brawl. Give him some moves he knows.

I'd flip if they gave him "shield" and made it like an Aegis reflector, or just a floating wall that pushed the opponent back to help his camping game.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
If Lucas is cut I'll cry and never want to play SSB4.

No but srs, huge Mother fan, I hope he doesn't get cut.

Also if they give Lucas' ropesnake a hitbox, Mekos will be top tier.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
While putting Lucas in Brawl was tenuous and a bit of a risk (seeing as most western audiences had no idea he even really existed by this stage), I think it was worthwhile. True that earthbound is now a bit over-represented when it comes to comparing them with characters such as C. falcon and yoshi, but really if Ness was in the first game, by smash 4 or 5 people would have started to think about the possibility of another character anyway, especially if F-Zero and yoshi reps came in by that stage. Putting in Lucas sets them up so that they don't need another rep in smash 4 but are still well represented. Indeed, the very fact that Sakurai chose to add Lucas is a tribute to how he feels about the Mother series. While some may disagree, I think Lucas has a decent shot of staying because his character was done nicely in smash and I suspect (but could be wrong) that he is popular amongst the Japanese audience.

As for Ness and Lucas movesets, tbh it doesn't bother me that they've borrowed their movesets from others. All that I want is to see their moves upgraded in smash to the point where they can actually be a good character tier list wise. To me this involves reducing lag on smashes, putting more range on attacks that need it and taking away the extra 10 frames of grab release animation, as well as some more minor stuff.

Anyway, that's my two cents. :)

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
While putting Lucas in Brawl was tenuous and a bit of a risk (seeing as most western audiences had no idea he even really existed by this stage), I think it was worthwhile. True that earthbound is now a bit over-represented when it comes to comparing them with characters such as C. falcon and yoshi, but really if Ness was in the first game, by smash 4 or 5 people would have started to think about the possibility of another character anyway, especially if F-Zero and yoshi reps came in by that stage. Putting in Lucas sets them up so that they don't need another rep in smash 4 but are still well represented. Indeed, the very fact that Sakurai chose to add Lucas is a tribute to how he feels about the Mother series. While some may disagree, I think Lucas has a decent shot of staying because his character was done nicely in smash and I suspect (but could be wrong) that he is popular amongst the Japanese audience.

As for Ness and Lucas movesets, tbh it doesn't bother me that they've borrowed their movesets from others. All that I want is to see their moves upgraded in smash to the point where they can actually be a good character tier list wise. To me this involves reducing lag on smashes, putting more range on attacks that need it and taking away the extra 10 frames of grab release animation, as well as some more minor stuff.

Anyway, that's my two cents. :)
You raise a great point :3
I reckon, PK freeze and PK flash should be easier to move as well, also make sure the boys can't get chain grabbed so easy .

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
If they get chain grabbing easily again next game I'm done with smash LOL.

Stupid Marth.
Stupid DK too.

It's my understanding that Lucas' popularity has skyrocketed since he appeared in Brawl as the master of New Pork City (#312). Alas, I never asked for him in Brawl, nevermind as a Ness clone. Lucas' timid nature means he wouldn't fit well with PØO's moveset. The PK Starstorm is okay, but Ness should've had PSI Rockin instead. The last objection is that he's the second character representing 3 games, 2 of which are Japan only. At least both of Fox's and Falco's games at the time of Melee had been released in America, and Fire Emblem was going into its 6th season, but I think Mother EarthBound is a little overrepresented, and I wouldn't give a cuss if Lucas didn't return in Smash 4.
Lucas should have PK love as a final smash.
Also,your arguments are valid for Ike too.(in Fire Emblem methods)

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I can't wait to see our Mother characters added again (I hope) and maybe a new one considering Sakurai loves the Mother series.

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
Well if he had some of his normal moves,I think it'd be Awesome.I dare anyone to play this game(you can get a fan translation at mother3.fobby.net) to play it and not love this character.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Although his moveset is really cool and Ness seemed to have a couple of problems in brawl (Why does Ness' neutral B cancel when it hits the ground instead of activating just before hitting the ground or on contact with it, whearas Lucas' neutral B goes off automatically just before hitting the ground and goes super fast!)
But I just couldn't see Lucas' as a good character after he left Ness for dead in the storymode.
I'd rather see them beef up Ness' PSI and put Poo in.
Anyone but that blonde Jimmy Neutron hairdo stealing, friend abandoning, Lucas.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I love Lucas... Though I'd love some things fixed about him.

Grab Release issue gone. PLEASE.

More range on a few attacks and less lag on some attacks.

Better air game.

PK Freeze to explode if he gets interrupted. Which can lead to mindgames :bee:

Also this is kind of a wacky idea, but how about giving him the power to levitate? (Kinda like Peach's Float) XD
-----------
If he is in the next game, in the story mode, I want Lucas to be more courageous from the beginning. =P

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Lucas needs to be more like Project M Lucas.

It's always bugged me how Ness and Lucas have powerful offensive psychic powers in SSB while in the games they're more of a support/"combat medic" type character(with the exception of PK Rockin/Love). Not sure it would be easy to make a moveset off of though, so I can see why Sakurai made the choices he did.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Tbh I liked Lucas 10x more than I like Ness. I don't see either of them getting taken out though.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Aside from... well, everything except his special moves and forward smash, right?
Being considered a clone has less to do with reality than it does with people being stupid. Normal moves are rarely taken into account, and if two characters share at least one special and look kinda similar, then the are considered a clone. See also: Mewtwo/Lucario, Roy/Ike, Fox/Wolf.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
On Lucas's actual PSI, I dunno what he would use. He has lifeup, Healing (status cure), Refresh (regen), offense/defense up, Shield/Counter, and Love.

I imagine he could use Psi Counter as a side move to reflect projectiles. Offense Up could be a down special, working as it does in Project M.

I have no idea what his up special would be. Unlike Ness, he does not have Teleport.

Now, my question is why they changed PK Flash to PK Freeze, when Lucas can actually LEARN Flash.

:phone:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
There's still enough material to use for a moveset even if not all of the attacks are offensive in nature. You just gotta be creative

B: PK Flash
Functions more like a catapult projectile now.
Side B: PK Rockin'
Looks different from PK Fire, but works the same way.
Up B: PSI Teleport
Might need to be like Sheik's to be practical.
Down B: PSI Shield
Ness puts a shield on himself and can do this two times at a time. Each shield grants Ness super armor. This super armor activates on his aerials and can naturally be thwarted by grabs or attacks that hit at least twice.

Not quite sure what kind of playstyle you could summarize this as though. Zoner? Zoning-Rushdown hybrid?

Likewise, Lucas is not that hard.
This Ness moveset has got me thinking of a potential moveset for Lucas. I could see a moveset where he uses PK Counter, Offense Up, Defense Up, and maybe PK Flash. The only thing I'm struggling with is a potential recovery move.

EDIT:

Lucas:

B: Offense Up
See Project M
Side B: PK Love Alpha
Like Ness, this replaces the aesthetics of PK Fire but works the same. Same as Project M really.
Up B: PK Love Beta
Lucas shoots PK Love Beta below him and the force of the blast raises him up while also making him a human projectile because of the force. Can be aimed in the up, up forward, and up back directions.
Down B: Shield
Like Ness, this grants super armor, but this only applies to when Lucas is running. Any attacks from the run are not subject to super armor.

What I wanted to have in mind was to reflect their personalities in these movesets. Ness would be more courageous in his attacks while Lucas would only get up close when he wants to.
Up B:
I'd rather PK Counter be his side-B, and have it work sort of like Mario's cape.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Honestly I feel like PK love should be his final smash.
True. I think Lucas needs a moveset overhaul.

I think it would be really cool to see Lucas rely more on status buffs(i.e. PK Offense/Defense up). It would really help set him apart, not just from Ness, but from other characters as well.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Lucas already uses PKlove like his up smash and down smash and most of his midair attacks and a taught and a few other attacks.
That's merely fan speculation, I don't think there was ever a physical source confirming those to be anything other than generic psychic energy.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
And even if it is he has several versions of PK Love anyways. Those might just be the weakest version Alpha. The final smash would no doubt be Omega.

FZ64

Smash Journeyman
That's merely fan speculation, I don't think there was ever a physical source confirming those to be anything other than generic psychic energy.
in game when we pulls a needle(most of the time) his PKlove attack gets higher ranked in 1 of his winning poses when he pulls a needle you see the same affect as the attacks I listed before so it is more than likely Pklove. (i am a MOTHER nerd live w/ it.)

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Oh yeah I'd love it if his Z-air (or whatever the term will be for the next game :p) had a hitbox, then he'll be able to space better. XD

grizby2

Smash Lord
Although I favor ness only because I like mother 2 more than I like mother 3, I believe lucas was a great character in brawl. one thing is for sure, lucas (in terms of story development and such) is 10x more dynamic than ness ever was in mother 2. their personalities (although not appearent at first sight) ARE different. it is true that mother 3 became massivly popular due to lucas's appearence in brawl, and alot of people who played mother 3 really "connected" with lucas's character. the same cant be said for ness. whenever i hear people say "lucas should be cut", it always seems to be someone who has never played the game (reasonable because the game is in japanese and the only way to play it in english, to my knowledge, is it get a ROM of it and download a translation patch). i think dismissing a video game character without having an experience with them first, is just unacceptable. the mother series ,unfortunately, has a tiny fan base

now, whoever said ness and lucas are clones, im going to assume they are blind OR have never actually played those two characters. if your looking for clones, compare :link2: to :toonlink: or :ganondorf: to :falcon:

THOSE, my friends, are clones.

Ive played ness and lucas for an uncountable amount of hours and i assure you that gameplay with lucas differs from ness. i find lucas to be a "well-timed-sting" type of character, while i play ness in more of a combo-building fashion.
when playing as link ,for example, i simply feel like a slower/stronger version of toon link. i dont HATE link or toon link, in fact i feel that having two links has always been somewhat of an important part of the smash series, but at LEAST make the gameplay of the two differ from one another (not just faster/weaker - slower/stronger).

gazpacho146

Smash Rookie
I agree. But I think that something other than their B standards should be changed. I mean, Ness never learns PK (PSI) Fire in Mother 2 along with Thunder and Starstorm. I just think they should have a bigger variety between the two. But that's just my opinion

jd00824

Smash Rookie
Way better aerials, and either no CG's or a way to escape them.....anyways I hope they keep Lucas.....I've grown quite fond of him

grizby2

Smash Lord
I agree. But I think that something other than their B standards should be changed. I mean, Ness never learns PK (PSI) Fire in Mother 2 along with Thunder and Starstorm. I just think they should have a bigger variety between the two. But that's just my opinion
true, the moves they have in brawl (or the smash series in particular) arent true to thier respective games (aside from ness's psi flash).

but man, its just wierd to think about how they would be without their current specials.:dizzy:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I thought it was awesome how Lucas was included back when brawl came out! and then i saw his specials and died a little......as yet another HUGE MOTHER series fan i really wanted Lucas to have atleast PK Ground.... we got PK Freeze and (kinda sorta) PK love but that should have been his final smash. ohwell i love me some Lucas, and heres to getting some revamped special for Sm4sh!

Top Bottom