• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VOTE AGUMON - Pikachu's Greatest Rival!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
this the exact same thread i saw over on the onm forums

i, gussesing your the same user, but how many websites have you posted this on?

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Was Digimon ever really a contender for being pokemon's rival? One is a hugely successful animated series, toyline, game series, card game and has been for over a decade and the other was a moderately successful animated series with a barely popular toyline for like 2 years at most.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Was Digimon ever really a contender for being pokemon's rival? One is a hugely successful animated series, toyline, game series, card game and has been for over a decade and the other was a moderately successful animated series with a barely popular toyline for like 2 years at most.
It's because of all the comparisons. (Both are about monsters, both can be controlled by humans, etc.)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It also had a card game, I collected a lot of the cards back in the day.

I stopped collecting the cards because I was missing 1 of them and no matter how many booster packs I got I never found that one card.

It wouldn't have mattered but it was one of the Digi Destined Digimon!!!

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
actually Digimon had almost the exact same things as Pokemon did. the Digital pet was first, a video game, then the anime, a card game, more video games were made including easily my favorite video of all time Digimon World 3, more toys in the vein of Transformers(which were awesome) and more digital pets.

they both appeared around roughly the same time, Pokemon in 1996 and Digimon appearing in 1997 and at their core they were very similar concept in that they were both monster fighting properties. Digimons success was not as large in the video game industry though but more so in the anime itself. its like what 8-Peacock-8 said that they had way to much in common to not be compared. Digimons highest point was easily in the late 90s and early 00s and has now sadly teetered off. but it is still around and has a WAY better anime now.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
here a made a quick pallet swap. the green and blue are a little harsh they would probably be far more subdued in game but you get the idea. i also got very lazy when it came to the green one

Graizen

Smash Champion
What i think :

Namco Bandai have a great chance to promote Digimon some more with that. A realy giant chance.

DarkAres

Smash Rookie

Final Smash: MetalGreymon

Since MetalGreymon was paraded as the "big thing" back in Digimon World 1.

Anyways, as a huge Digimon fan (and someone who honestly doesn't care about Pokemon anymore), I highly support Agumon. Or any Digimon rep. A general generic "tamer" from the World series who can use multiple Digimon (ala Pokemon Trainer) would probably be the best representative.

Though personally I'd love a tag team of Agumon and Masaru (from Savers).

D

Deleted member

This is the one Namco-Bandai rep I wouldn't mind having. As a fan of both series back in the day, seeing a rivalry reunited would be cool to see.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
People were claiming Playstation All Stars to be a Smash Bros ripoff when it had more in common with Digimon Rumble Arena XD
Platformer Fighters rock!

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
true but even then there are huge differences. i think it has more in common with Dream Mix TV. Party fighters are becoming more and more popular with Smash, Dream Mix TV, Digimon Rumble, Punchtime Explosion, TMNT Smash Up and Battle Royale i can see the genre expanding even more in the near future. like i somewhat expect a Nickelodeon one and i could easily see a game company with enough IPs (like Sega for example) making their own versions.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Just realize that Bandi was the team that made the Digimon Rumble Arena games. My expectations for SSB4 have just raised.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Well I am a big fan of Digimon and I do think it would be cool for the rivalry aspect since Digimon is basically the Sonic to Pokémon's Mario, Pokémon is just about the most deserving of a rival since it's probably Nintendo's most famous series after Mario, and I know a lot of people have been waiting for a Pokémon vs. Digimon ANYTHING for a long time(I know I have, honestly I'd rather if Digimon vs. Pokémon became it's own platform fighter series, but anyway). They also do fill out all the requirements in being from a game (if Mr. Game in Watch counts then the pocket pets certainly do) and they've had a ton of games since.

As for Agumon specifically I don't personally like him and I thought he was really boring in Rumble Arena 2 but if you're going to have a Digimon it has to be Agumon. Having someone else would be like having Pokémon but no Pikachu. The only other possibility I could see is if the representative was Wargreymon instead of Agumon and his final smash was Omnimon or a giant Tera force, but then it'd be kinda weird pitting Wargreymon against Pikachu so I don't know.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Digimon (including Agumon) started as a Tamagotchi-like digital pet game. Given Mr. Game and Watch's inclusion, Agumon passes the game first criteria.

Personally, this would be a really surprising Namco inclusion, considering the whole Pokemon vs Digimon mentality is based around the anime more than the games, but it would be a neat nod to a classic rivalry. I'd definitely play him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Big Digimon fan here, so of course I support Agumon. I don't find him a very realistic choice though, given that Namco has basically shut down anything related to Digimon outside of Japan, so if Sakurai wants a Namco rep he might as well go for someone who's still relevant internationally, like Pac-Man. Though putting Agumon in SSB4 combined with releasing Digimon World: Re-Digitize Decode for the 3DS internationally would surely spark success in the brand again, but one can only dream.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i don't think anime characters are allowed in Smash Bros. Sorry.
June 26 1997: Digital Monster (Virtual pet)
September 23 1998: Digital Monsters ver s. Digimon Tamers for the Sega Saturn
November 21 1998: the first manga produced
January 28 1999: Digimon World for the ps1
March 07 1999: Digimon season 1 premiered

the real question is whether or not a virtual pet can be considered a video game which many people have debated over.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

the real question is whether or not a virtual pet can be considered a video game which many people have debated over.
If the criteria can be stretched so that R.O.B is allowed in, a peripheral that didn't even appear in his game, then no question that a Virtual Pet can be allowed in too as far as I see it.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace

but have they really had an impact on video games or nintendo for that matter? No. So hes an Anime character. Its what hes known for.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
but have they really had an impact on video games or nintendo for that matter? No. So hes an Anime character. Its what hes known for.
Just because the majority knows him from an anime doesn't mean that he's an anime character, jeez. He originated from a Virtual Pet, Digimon has had a bunch of successful video games with the Digimon World series. His origins is what matters, look at Pikachu, while he originated in a Video Game he had no fame at all until the anime came strolling around, prior to that he was just as famous as Clefairy or any other Pokémon that was under the boot of Charizard and Mewtwo, after that he became the mascot of Pokémon and got his own variation of Pokémon Red. Does that mean that Pikachu is an anime character just because that's what brought him to fame? No. The very same thing can be said for Jigglypuff, which explicitly got in for its anime fame, and the very same could be said for any Digimon character.

CalumG

Smash Lord
> Read 'Pikachu's Greatest Rival!'
> Meowth?
> Nope, Digimon
> iamdissapoint.jpg

In all seriousness I think it's a pretty awful, not to mention unlikely idea to include a Digimon of any kind, even if they did function as a sort of 'rival' in advertising terms as Sonic did to Mario in Brawl. First of all to consider is the fact that Digimon has really done little to contribute to Nintendo's brand over the years, whereas characters such as Sonic and Megaman have made a huge impact. "But what about Snake? He hasn't contributed to Nintendo much either!" - no, no he hasn't, but he was the exception to the rule on account of Sakurai's/Kojima's friendship, so unless the creator of Digimon is BFF's with Sakurai too, I think we can rule that entry route out. Agumon will have a tough time fitting into Sakurai's "exceptional circumstances" criteria, especially given that as the original poster has pointed out, it's a Namco-Bandai franchise. How often do you see Agumon come up in Namco threads?

So even if you assume for the sake of hypothesis that Namco-Bandai will see a character in Smash, there's the ever-crucial factors of popularity and importance. I'm not gonna break down every Namco-Bandai characters' chances but I think it's safe to say that Pac-Man takes priority in terms of importance to the industry and to Nintendo (lots of Nintendo higher-ups love Pac-Man as well; Miyamoto for example), and if we factor in popularity among fans, Agumon will also have stiff competition with Lloyd Irving, Klonoa, and the cast of Tekken.

And I think it goes without saying that inclusion of Digimon will devalue the Pokemon characters in Smash. This seems like a silly point to those of us who are in the know ("hardcore gamers" if we want to use that awful term), but what about somebody who hasn't played either series? It'd be ever-too-easy to confuse the incredibly similar concepts. What about somebody who played the original Pokemon games and hasn't kept up with the series for fear of the fact that "all the new Pokemon look like effin' Digimon?". Or for that matter, the laaaaaarge portion of the population who have, and always will see Digimon as a second-rate Pokemon rip-off? It seems very petty to appeal to the lowest common denominator, but these people exist, and in startlingly large numbers.

Oh, and there's the fact that Digimon is well past its prime. Some might argue the same of Sonic and Megaman though, so I guess that's more of a personal gripe than a legitimate complaint.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Just because the majority knows him from an anime doesn't mean that he's an anime character, jeez. He originated from a Virtual Pet, Digimon has had a bunch of successful video games with the Digimon World series. His origins is what matters, look at Pikachu, while he originated in a Video Game he had no fame at all until the anime came strolling around, prior to that he was just as famous as Clefairy or any other Pokémon that was under the boot of Charizard and Mewtwo, after that he became the mascot of Pokémon and got his own variation of Pokémon Red. Does that mean that Pikachu is an anime character just because that's what brought him to fame? No. The very same thing can be said for Jigglypuff, which explicitly got in for its anime fame, and the very same could be said for any Digimon character.
The majority of digimon games flopped and for the most part have been reduced to japan only releases. Agumon is known for his anime appearance and not his games. while Pikachu is known in a series both popular with the anime and video games and have had an impact on nintendo handhelds.

and Agumon's impact on nintendo is?? A resounding nothing. Hes never going to be added. Even with his connection Namco Bandai.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The majority of digimon games flopped and for the most part have been reduced to japan only releases. Agumon is known for his anime appearance and not his games. while Pikachu is known in a series both popular with the anime and video games and have had an impact on nintendo handhelds.

and Agumon's impact on nintendo is?? A resounding nothing. Hes never going to be added. Even with his connection Namco Bandai.
I did say further up that I don't believe Agumon has a chance to make it in, but to claim that he is an anime character is just nonesense. The early Digimon World games were a success, while everything after and including Digimon World 4 was a gigantic flop outside of Japan. I still stand by my example, if Pikachu, a Pokémon which acquired its mascot status and popularity solely from being the anime lead, is a video game character, then Agumon is too, because it's exactly the same situation, only that Pokémon has always been more successful. It all lies in the roots and origin of the character, not in the popularity or success, to believe so is desperately trying to hold onto a flawed argument. The anime was based on the video game and tamagotchi, Agumon in the anime was based off of Agumon in the game and on the tamagotchi, thus he is a video game/tamagotchi character. It's pure logic.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
To be fair, I'm sure the Metal Gear Solid series didn't make an impact on Nintendo. And I'm pretty sure Pikachu is known more for his anime appearance. Ask anyone about Pokémon and they will only answer with Pikachu and maybe Ash mainly.

CalumG

Smash Lord
To be fair, I'm sure the Metal Gear Solid series didn't make an impact on Nintendo. And I'm pretty sure Pikachu is known more for his anime appearance. Ask anyone about Pokémon and they will only answer with Pikachu and maybe Ash mainly.
In all seriousness I think it's a pretty awful, not to mention unlikely idea to include a Digimon of any kind, even if they did function as a sort of 'rival' in advertising terms as Sonic did to Mario in Brawl. First of all to consider is the fact that Digimon has really done little to contribute to Nintendo's brand over the years, whereas characters such as Sonic and Megaman have made a huge impact. "But what about Snake? He hasn't contributed to Nintendo much either!" - no, no he hasn't, but he was the exception to the rule on account of Sakurai's/Kojima's friendship, so unless the creator of Digimon is BFF's with Sakurai too, I think we can rule that entry route out. Agumon will have a tough time fitting into Sakurai's "exceptional circumstances" criteria, especially given that as the original poster has pointed out, it's a Namco-Bandai franchise. How often do you see Agumon come up in Namco threads?
There ya go.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Well, we don't know about that. They could be BFF since kinder garden and the world would never know.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If it was a case of BFF, I'd expect them to show it by now. :p

I'm a fan of the Digimon anime, but Digimon in Smash doesn't appeal me, really.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Well, we don't know about that. They could be BFF since kinder garden and the world would never know.
Well no, of course we don't know - which is why we can only assume that any third-parties will have to get in on their own merit rather than through industry connections like with Snake's inclusion.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well Agumon originated from a TV show, so his inclusion is very unlikely (probably around %0, sorry).
Might want to read the recent posts. Originated from a Tamagotchi -> Had a video game -> TV Show.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I did say further up that I don't believe Agumon has a chance to make it in, but to claim that he is an anime character is just nonesense. The early Digimon World games were a success, while everything after and including Digimon World 4 was a gigantic flop outside of Japan. I still stand by my example, if Pikachu, a Pokémon which acquired its mascot status and popularity solely from being the anime lead, is a video game character, then Agumon is too, because it's exactly the same situation, only that Pokémon has always been more successful. It all lies in the roots and origin of the character, not in the popularity or success, to believe so is desperately trying to hold onto a flawed argument. The anime was based on the video game and tamagotchi, Agumon in the anime was based off of Agumon in the game and on the tamagotchi, thus he is a video game/tamagotchi character. It's pure logic.
Did you know the rock singer Alanis Morisette started out as a pop singer? I bet you didn't know that. But the majority don't refer to her as a pop singer just because she started out as one. Its because she wasn't known for her pop songs since they all flopped.

The same applies to digimon characters. They've had no real impact on gaming. The few non-flop games they had weren't even on a Nintendo console! Pokemon are known for both the anime and the games and had an impact on nintendo. Even though Pikachu was popular on the anime show, the pokemon games were still widely successful. If Agumon's games weren't a huge flop, then i wouldn't call him an anime character.

Top Bottom