• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu vs. Ness

N64

Smash Champion
Yo ness players. I haven't played many really good ness players in, well, ever. I played with Dan Smith a lot wayyyy back when neither of us were any good, but that hardly helps. I played a lot of matches against Lunaris's ness at fc, and it seemed pretty good, but that's about the only ness experience I've had lately. Basically, I was wondering from you all, how is the ness vs. pikachu matchup?

Mow swears ness has a pretty easy time against pikachu, but I have difficulty seeing it. I know ness is supposed to be pretty overpowered in low tier tournies in general, but I just don't have the experience to back this up. Is it really greatly in ness's favor? or fairly even? any examples or reasoning would be welcome.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't play Ness but TBP (watch his vids hes sick) is in my crew and we play all the time. The matchup seems pritty even to me and I think he'd agree.

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
I have played neil (pikapika) a good amount and I think the matchup is about even, i have never noticed a huge advantage for either side. Ness has priority in the air but pikachu can get some cheap gay kills if ness is careless by the edge. I like the matchup a lot as ness, but generally if im not playing against a shiek... i like the matchup :)

I played you a couple times at bfwny2 or 3 also! You should come back whenever the next one is, it gets old beating up neils pika :).

N64

Smash Champion
Yeah, i didn't forget about ya n.ow. It's just 2-3 friendlies isn't much to base stuff off of, heh.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Yo dood, Pika's got the advantage. Pretty sizeable too.

Spamable projectiles, a recovery that's hard to edge guard, a comparable amount of speed, and somewhat better finishing moves. It's a really head to head kind of matchup but Pika disrupts Ness' style more than the reverse.

You're not having problems with a Ness are you?? You're good enough with the rats that you should be able to handle most any Ness. If Pika wasn't a so much higher on the tier list I'd call him a Ness counter.

You been in KS lately?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
If you ask me, it comes down to which player has the better mindgames. Pika's recovery isn't TOO hard to get, difficult to edgeguard sure, but a well placed nair can hit a pikachu as long as he doesn't sweetspot, no kill usually, but a good knockback and damage. My personal style of Ness doesn't have a big disadvantage VS most Pikas, but I can see where it could come from.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i think this match-up is the most even match-up in the game....besides dittos

but i don't know much of it

mood4food77

Smash Hero
cause....it's what i've heard since i've been here

i mean...how many of us actually know this match-up, i mean, the best have spoken

and i did see a match (old) that showed it was pretty even...

N64

Smash Champion
i was in ks for the summer dansmith. I'm in GA at my dad's now, and will be back in school in like a week : /. I thought you quit smash for good pretty much?

Also, frankly mood4food, after your extensive (and almost always wrong) posts in the pika's matchups thread, it's hard for me to put value in much of your words anymore >_>.

Thanks for the comments so far all. I guess it is kinda too uncommon of a matchup for great lengths to be said about it.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Dogysamich we should've ditto'd at Pound 2... I was having so much fun I forgot. Sorry.

Also... The only reason Ness isn't at a disadvantage in this matchup is because Ness can combo pikachu pretty decently. Enough to make up for his unedgeguardable recovery. These combos come from training mode though... I'd post them, but my last combo thread kinda got ignored... *whimper...*

Levitas

the moon
Actually, I had a better match against anther's pika with Ness than peach, so I'd go with even because I will not deny Anther's surperior skill, though I took him to one stock. Basing it off of one friendly game doesn't make sense, so I'll play him a little more while he's here.

Levitas

the moon
Nope, anther just wrecked me. I must suck or something... lol, he's fun to play against though. But I keep feeling like Ness doesn't cover his lower half in the air well or something against pikachu. Kinda like the opposite of being turtled. And Pika's edge game is miles ahead of ness.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Nope, anther just wrecked me. I must suck or something... lol, he's fun to play against though. But I keep feeling like Ness doesn't cover his lower half in the air well or something against pikachu. Kinda like the opposite of being turtled. And Pika's edge game is miles ahead of ness.
you make a good point...I don't think either character is in a good place if they're above the other character. The only difference is that chances are, an uair from Ness will trade hits with a Pika dair. the reverse, however, is not necessarily true...esp considering how fast Pika's uair is and how slow Ness's dair is.

So N64, if you can keep Ness above you, you can have some decent leverage in the matchup. also: Ness's double jump doesn't give him much of an evasive advantage, he could airdodge but that's kind of it for evasion against someone with Pika's speed... Ness has almost 0 options when it comes to recovery. If you don't feel adventurous enough for a tailspike or even a weak-a.ss nair for a gimp [lol, who am I talking to?!?!] then just edgeguard with thunder hahahaha

Top Bottom