• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Wright: The WRIGHT attorney for all your smashing needs!

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
I doubt they put Phoenix Wright in because Megaman is a rep. for Capcom. But if he was in I'd love to see his Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 moveset be implemented into Smash 4.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo buying Capcom is really the only chance we ever have of getting an Ace Attorney rep in Smash.

It would also make Smash 5 more hype since Nintendo suddenly would have a lot more new IP's to pick from.

So yeah, please buy Capcom.
nintendo already have so many to chose from though

Sonsa

Smash Champion
nintendo already have so many to chose from though
Okay, well they would have more to pick from. Options aren't bad.

Anyway if Nintendo gets Ace Attorney, which I really hope they do, they must and probably will keep Shu Takumi on board, that man's the best and I hope he really gets the drive to make more Ace Attorney games though I understand he kinda wants to be done with them.
Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies were great, but they really don't match up to the original trilogy. Shu Takumi is one of the only people in media that can actually surprise me! I more often than not guess the ending to a movie, game, or book after the first chapter or couple of scenes. I know how Layton 5 ends by playing the first chapter and I shared my guess with a friend who beat the game and they confirmed my suspicions.
But Shu Takumi! The original Ace Attorney trilogy! The upcoming Layton VS Wright! (WHY ISNT THAT HERE YET) And oh my gosh, Ghost Trick! He got me everytime! Oh gosh I sobbed from how good it was and... Oh goodness! They need to buy Ghost Trick too! Sissel for Smash 5!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
not if it means chibi-robo, advance wars, golden sun and the like lose out because of things like resident evil
Doubt RE or DMC would get a character anyways.

If anything first series that are mostly already on Nintendo would get characters. That means Zero, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu and maybe Arthur from ghosts and goblins. Doubt anyone unfitting would be added before key Nintendo franchises

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I think at this point this has become the Capcom buyout support thread rather than the Pheonix Wright support thread:awesome:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah as interesting as the whole Capcom stuff is, try to keep it a bit more related to Phoenix Wright please.
ok then

if nothing else itd be adorable to hear kirby yell "objection" (or the Japanese word for it i suppose)

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Yeah as interesting as the whole Capcom stuff is, try to keep it a bit more related to Phoenix Wright please.
Two reminders and not one objection from you in the PW thread? I'm disappoint :p

I think it'd be possible Phoenix gets in if third parties get second reps. Really it'd be between him (hes basically a Nintendo character) and Ryu if that happens.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Two reminders and not one objection from you in the PW thread? I'm disappoint :p

This objection loud enough for you good sir?

Now lets get back to talking about how much we'd love to see Mr.Wright over there getting beaten to a pulp by an electric rat!
(Gee, thanks Edgeworth....)

Sonsa

Smash Champion
not if it means chibi-robo, advance wars, golden sun and the like lose out because of things like resident evil
Characters need to fit the universe and RE definitely doesn't. And if some characters like Phoenix Wright are more deserving than Chibi-Robo in Sakurai's opinion then great. Whatever happens happens.
Nintendo owning Ace Attorney would not only make Wright in smash much more plausible, but it would just help the series itself! Capcom has been really scared of Ace Attorney's potential sales and still hasn't localized Ace Attorney Investigations 2. If Nintendo bought AA, I don't think we'd have to worry about localization or digital-only released from now on.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Characters need to fit the universe and RE definitely doesn't. And if some characters like Phoenix Wright are more deserving than Chibi-Robo in Sakurai's opinion then great. Whatever happens happens.
Nintendo owning Ace Attorney would not only make Wright in smash much more plausible, but it would just help the series itself! Capcom has been really scared of Ace Attorney's potential sales and still hasn't localized Ace Attorney Investigations 2. If Nintendo bought AA, I don't think we'd have to worry about localization or digital-only released from now on.
resident evil certainly would seem right but i wouldnt put anything past sakurai

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
As much as everyone would want another Capcom character (especialy Phoenix Wright) I just don't see it happening. If were to get another 3rd party character I'm almost sure it would be from another company like Konami or something, since this game is not about other companies (which is the reason why we won't get another sonic character) it's believable that we probably won't get ANY more 3rd party reps. That being said, this is a support thread and he does have a lot going for him. i support it fully, just don't think it's gonna happen. Now I'm gonna go run from this thread before I get attacked for putting up reasons why a character wouldn't be in a game in what's more of a support thread.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As much as everyone would want another Capcom character (especialy Phoenix Wright) I just don't see it happening. If were to get another 3rd party character I'm almost sure it would be from another company like Konami or something, since this game is not about other companies (which is the reason why we won't get another sonic character) it's believable that we probably won't get ANY more 3rd party reps. That being said, this is a support thread and he does have a lot going for him. i support it fully, just don't think it's gonna happen. Now I'm gonna go run from this thread before I get attacked for putting up reasons why a character wouldn't be in a game in what's more of a support thread.
Nah no worries, you're right. It's very unlikely we will see another character from the same company join the battle. As much as I'd love to see Phoenix Wright myself. His best hope is if Nintendo does wind up getting ahold of Capcom at their current state, otherwise I can't really see him happening as there are probably a number of other third parties from other companies who would have a higher priority.

Anyway, welcome to Smashboards.

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
Nah no worries, you're right. It's very unlikely we will see another character from the same company join the battle. As much as I'd love to see Phoenix Wright myself. His best hope is if Nintendo does wind up getting ahold of Capcom at their current state, otherwise I can't really see him happening as there are probably a number of other third parties from other companies who would have a higher priority.

Anyway, welcome to Smashboards.
Actually I've been around for abut 2 years, just always been too lazy to make an account but thanks anyway lol.
And honestly, its not that often that Nintendo picks up other companies, as much as everyone wants them to pickup Capcom. If Nintendo ever did by them It'd be amazingly cool for a bunch of Capcom characters in smash. I'm just curious if Nintendo would MAKE them develop certain games, or let them do what they want. (of course nintendo exclusive platforms only.)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Actually I've been around for abut 2 years, just always been too lazy to make an account but thanks anyway lol.
And honestly, its not that often that Nintendo picks up other companies, as much as everyone wants them to pickup Capcom. If Nintendo ever did by them It'd be amazingly cool for a bunch of Capcom characters in smash. I'm just curious if Nintendo would MAKE them develop certain games, or let them do what they want. (of course nintendo exclusive platforms only.)
Well... Thanks for joining Smashboards then. ^^
Yeah it certainly would be interesting, but that's a discussion for another thread. Just barely got them back to talking about Phoenix again is all..... :x

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What does the 'capcom up for grabs' in the title reference?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What does the 'capcom up for grabs' in the title reference?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I really hope we get a Phoenix Wright trophy now. The Ace Attorney series deserves a nod for it's strong history with Nintendo.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If we can get third party content randomly I hope we get the cornered theme in the mega man stage.

Oh, and phoenix wright trophies.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
As much as I'd prefer Arthur, Phoenix Wright would also be an excellent choice for another Capcom rep.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Of course I support but... the possibility that Nintendo buys the Ace Attorney franchise (and lets Shu Takumi be in charge/oversee of course!) and have Wright appear in a SSB5 seems more likely at this point. But who knows! Maybe the miracle happen.

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
Phoenix might not seem like a strong pick for a fighter game, considering he's, well.... A lawyer; however, with the inclusion of other characters such as Wii Fit Trainer, we have witnessed that actions characters perform in their game that may not seem like an attack can be turned into such.
For example, his pointing and slamming his hands on his desk; possibly a forward tilt / forward air and down tilt / down b respectively? Of course, his iconic "Objection!" could be a projectile, final smash, or a normal smash. I'm sure there's also something that can be done for a character gimmick, akin to Little Mac, such as a "guilt meter."

Just a humorous thought, but his up throw could be a clone of Sonic's > w >
Could also be a cute thing in his trailer, Sonic and Phoenix standing side-by-side.

There are many references you can make to his games, like the Blue Badger, the Ma....Maga.... The psychic thing; they might not be as obvious, but they could pull a Villager and use unorthodox things from his games in his moves.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Mhm, Wright's moveset potential is surprisingly kinda expansive.
I already voted for Wright on the fighter ballot (And Tetra in case 3rd parties are disregarded) and mentioned that Wright can handle himself physically, but prefers to fight mentally. So many moves would use evidence and conjecture, for example... F-Tilt could be Wright holding up a folder and saying "Exhibit A!"
Desk slamming would make a good Down-Smash!
Running up and then jumping off a step-ladder could be a rather weak but effective recovery.
The Magatama could be used as a grab or special, chaining people up and pummeling with psyche-locks.
His jabs and A-A-A combo could even be Hit1: Hold it! Hit2: Objection! Hit3: Take that!
Could even have a chargeable attack where he thinks for a while trying to flesh out a new lead and then when fully charged he lands a "Hold it!" that stuns the opponent briefly like Mewtwo's disable or just simply Zamus's blaster or something.
Plenty of potential! It would be crazy if he actually got in~

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
I am finding my ideas stunted by my already-molded thoughts about him from Marvel v. Capcom @ w @
However, it does help show that he is indeed capable of being in a fighting game.

Leslithulu

Smash Rookie
I think it would be cool if they managed to give him the Koopaling treatment and make 8 characters out of it. We could have Nick, Apollo, Athena, Mia, Edgeworth, Franziska, Godot, and either Gavin or Blackquill. I know they would probably never do that, but I think it would be great.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
One of these threads actually exists? Damn, I wanted in on making one of these :p Oh well, no objections to this one :smash: This place is so inactive though :/

In another thread, I posted my idea of porting Phoenix's UMvC moveset into Smash, so I might as well put it here too. It has a few other things I threw in as well, to fill the gaps of stuff that's in Smash, but not UMvC. I know it doesn't work too well in that game, but I think it'd translate pretty well to Smash with a few tweaks.

Jab: Slaps the opponent with sheets of paper.

Dash: "Slip-Up" - Slips and slides into the opponent.

F-smash: "Press the Witness" - Throws several documents at the opponent while pressing forward towards them.
U-smash: Scratches his head in frustration. At the end of the move, he swings his head upwards sharply - the spikes in his hair do damage as well.
D-smash: "Note Scribbling" - Ducks down and scribbles on his notepad.

F-tilt: "Paperwork" - Swings documents downwards at the opponent.
U-tilt: "Paperwork" - Swings documents upwards at the opponent.
D-tilt: Dusts the ground to check for clues. Has an increased chance to trip the opponent.

N-air: "Just a Little More...!" - Takes notes with his notepad.
F-air: Swings documents forwards in front of him.
U-air: Throws documents upwards.
D-air: Sneezes. Spikes the opponent at the beginning of the move.
B-air: Swings his head backwards and stabs at the opponent with his spiky hair. May spike the opponent.

Grab: Maya appears and grabs the opponent.
Pummel: Phoenix slaps the opponent with sheets of paper.
F-throw: Maya and Phoenix pick up and carry the opponent, DK-style. Press A again to throw the opponent like a javelin.
U-throw: Maya and Phoenix toss the opponent upwards sharply.
D-throw: Maya and Phoenix slam the opponent into the ground.
B-throw: Phoenix throws the opponent backwards. Like Mario's b-throw, but he only spins once.

Up-B: "The Fabulous Maximillion Galactica" appears, grabs Phoenix, and "flies" up with him. (somebody please come up with something better than this)

---- Investigation mode

B: "Investigate/Discard" - Picks up a random piece of evidence. If it's good, press B to search again. If not, press B to discard it. One of the random obtainable pieces of evidence should be the fan from previous Smash games, and do high shield damage. It automatically uses the first available slot, since we don't have four attack buttons in Smash.
Side-B: "M-Maya!?" - Maya appears and slide-tackles the opponent.
Down-B: Change mode

---- Trial mode

B: "Present the Evidence" - Show a piece of collected evidence to the opponent (press B to cycle through them, like Shulk's arts). It shoots a beam of energy at them.
Side-B (without enough evidence): "Cross-Examination" - "Hold it!" Has a small chance to stun the opponent.
Side-B (with 3 good pieces of evidence): "Bridge to the Turnabout" - "Objection!" Changes to Turnabout mode if it hits.
Down-B: Change mode

---- Turnabout mode
: Moves become the more powerful "Paperwork Storm"/"Break the Witness" variants, which have all damage and knockback boosted by 20% (as in, 10% damage becomes 12%, not 30%)

B: "Present the Evidence" - Show a piece of collected evidence to the opponent (press B to cycle through them, like Shulk's arts). It shoots a beam of energy at them.
Side-B: "Steel Samurai Maya Smelting!" - Maya runs at the opponent, flailing her arms wildly.
Down-B: "Pursuit" - Shoots a giant pointer finger at the opponent.

Final Smash: Ace Attorney

Top Bottom