• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Wright series (Ace Attorney Trilogy now on 3DS)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Capcom
For the Nintendo DS

Important: Since these games are highly story driven USE SPOILER TAGS for goodness's sake!

The Ace Attorney series are text-based, point-and-click adventure games in which players play as Defense Attorney, Phoenix Wright, as he struggles to defend those suspected of committing horrible crimes from getting a guilty verdict. As each case starts, there is almost no doubt in the public's mind that the client is guilty, and it is the job of the Defense Attorney to turn things around. There are only two rules: It's not over until the judge has announced a verdict. And always believe in your client.

Actually, there are more rules, but screw them for now. ^_^

Some of the most memorable games I have ever played. The experience is not so much like playing a game than it is like diving in into an epic story. Cases generally start with Phoenix Wright being introduced to his client, speaking with the people involved, and gathering evidence for the trial ahead. The court cases is really were the game truely shines. Use evidence you have gathered to point out contradictions in people's testimonies against your client. Afterall, if your client is indeed innocent, the events must not have happened exactly as the witnesses claim to have seen.

If you own a Nintendo DS then you pretty much owe it to yourself to play these games. I heard the first Ace Attorney game may be hard to find, but Capcom may have re-released more copies after the series's increase in popularity. I highly recomment playing them in sequential order. And if you cant, dont play the Justice For All first. That's the worst of the three games out in America right now. It really doesn't do the other two games justice... eww... bad pun, but I couldn't think of another way to write that. :( Ah curse it. Just play them sequentially.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I have all 3 games and I agree that Justice For All is not as good as the 1st or newest one (Trials and Tributations). They have already announced Apollo Justice for Europe sometime in 2008 and it's already been released in Japan on April 12th, 07. No news yet if it's gonna be released in NA, but they're already released 3 games here...why wouldn't they?

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I need to find 2, so I can finish playing through it... I'd never play through the third game without playing the second. Good to know that I can look forward to 3, though. There are tons of copies of the original around here, though, so if anyone needs a copy, I can mail one to them. You really do owe it to yourself to play at least the first game if you have a DS, though. It was amazing.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
There's no way they're not going to release the fourth Ace Attorney game in America. Trailers for the 4th game. No spoilers inside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyAAdFFWwio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_v1jm3zxPE

I need to find 2, so I can finish playing through it... I'd never play through the third game without playing the second. Good to know that I can look forward to 3, though. There are tons of copies of the original around here, though, so if anyone needs a copy, I can mail one to them. You really do owe it to yourself to play at least the first game if you have a DS, though. It was amazing.
I would say that the third game is even better than the first, although you really can argue either way. Justice for All is still a fun experience overall. I'm not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but be excited for Case 4. That case is my favorite in the whole series.

ThatInsaneKid

Smash Cadet
Cool beans. :]

I just got Trials and Tribulations yesterday, but it's pretty much phenomenal. And I've got say, I really like the first case. It wasn't so, "ZOMGTHISATUTORIALLOL" as the other two first cases. :\

Oh, and favorite line so far has got to be...

Toilet!?!? My Dollie doesn't poop!
I almost fell out of my chair at that point. XD

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I like that
SPARTA
related quote. It made me lol when I read it. Btw im glad when
Winton Payne lost all of his hair after losing to Mia Fey.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I like that
SPARTA
related quote. It made me lol when I read it. Btw im glad when
Winton Payne lost all of his hair after losing to Mia Fey.
That quote was so funny that I decided to put it on my Facebook. :p

Basil - "I'm sorry. That data is SuPer-Admin Restricted Desktop Access password-protected."

Maya - "SuPer-Admin Restricted Desktop Access password-protected!? What!? This is madness!"

Phoenix - "No, Maya, that is SPARDA."

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
That quote was so funny that I decided to put it on my Facebook. :p

Basil - "I'm sorry. That data is SuPer-Admin Restricted Desktop Access password-protected."

Maya - "SuPer-Admin Restricted Desktop Access password-protected!? What!? This is madness!"

Phoenix - "No, Maya, that is SPARDA."
Lol thanks for posting that, i kinda forgot what Basil said in that case.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yeah im so pumped for it, you guys seen the trailers for the game yet? Looks sweet. To be more specific on the release date, Capcom announced it's release in North America in Q1 2008.

Btw you guys seen the new prosceutor? Spoilers ahead!
He looks so cool! "Ready to rock 'n roll, Your Honor!" And even through Phoenix Wright isn't the main protaginist, he is the defendant for the first case - yes, he's been accused of murdering someone again, this time in an underground room while playing cards

Eagle

Smash Lord
Umm.

I know you said don't play Justice for All first and stuff.

But I did and I loved it, then I decided to play the first one and I got to the last case but it requires use of the microphone for
use of the fingerprints
anyways I was playing it on emulator and I don't have a microphone so I wasn't able to continue and well it's been a month now and that case has gone unsolved T_T

I'm so dissapointed.

Anyways, I can't wait to play trials and tribulations ;D

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Umm.

I know you said don't play Justice for All first and stuff.

But I did and I loved it, then I decided to play the first one and I got to the last case but it requires use of the microphone for
use of the fingerprints
anyways I was playing it on emulator and I don't have a microphone so I wasn't able to continue and well it's been a month now and that case has gone unsolved T_T

I'm so dissapointed.

Anyways, I can't wait to play trials and tribulations ;D
Meh, I know how you feel. My microphone on my DS broke so now I have to use the buttons instead of the microphone.
I remember at the end of the games, they let you say "OBJECTION!" one last time before the credits roll
but I gotta press 'Y' and I think 'B' and that does it for you. It doesn't really bother me through, I have another DS whose microphone works. :)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I just finished Trials and Tribulations, and I'm left speechless. The sheer amount of plot twists in Case 5 blew me away. I mean,
I knew that one lady was Misty Fey right away. But I didn't expect Iris and Dahlia to be revealed as Pearl's sisters, Morgan to appear as the villain again, or Godot, Misty, and Iris to be working together.
Incredible.

In regards to cases relating to the main characters, Case 5 has to be my favorite. But for standalone cases, case 2 with Mask*DeMasque was brilliant and has to be my 2nd favorite in the whole series.

I can't wait for Apollo Justice ^_^

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You got that right JTB, I never thought Godot
was there, really suprised me. I was thinking before godot was discovered that it was poor Pearls who had stabbed Misty. And the whole Iris Dhalia thing really suprised me. Especially the bit about Pheonix was dating Iris for most of his relationship with Dhalia. I don't think we needed the "I still think about you Feeny" part though. Gag, choke. Plus it just makes you think, who's he going to go for? :urg:

Case 2 was brilliant.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Despite the sheer amazingness case 5 was, I didn't like how they introduced Godot into the crime. I really think they could/should have pulled it off better.
"I saw a man behind her"
"Maya, how did you see him?"
"Um..."
"Turn off the lights! Take that, Godot!"
*gulp-gulp-gulp... pfffttptt*
It was still really sweet though.

Edit: And we never used
Butz's picture of Fey.
lame

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
IMO the best part of the final case in T & T is when
you get to control Miles Edgesworth and he's the defense against Fransika Von Karma
, it was truely epic.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
IMO the best part of the final case in T & T is when
you get to control Miles Edgesworth and he's the defense against Fransika Von Karma
, it was truely epic.
Yeah, but
Karma seemed a little out of place. The idea was to pull everyone together from case 1 and 4, and Karma wasn't in either of those. It would've been kinda funny to see Winston Payne make an appearance in a case other than case 1.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
New news from court-records! Btw, sorry for double posting but noone has posted after me so yeah...

"Apollo Justice has shown up on Gamestop's site with a release date of February 19th. Still no official word from Capcom, but you can preorder it!

Apollo and Pearl are both appearing in Capcom's "We Love Golf!" You can see some Famitsu scans featuring them in this forum thread.

I've also updated Cosplay (at the bottom), Contradictions (for 2-1), Videos (the English AJ trailer with the Japanese audio layered over), Custom Sprites (a visor-less Godot), and I cleared a few dead links off the Goods page."

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Hahahahah I was just replaying the third game's last case and i read a funny part, it goes something like this:

Edgeworth: I was just with detective gumshoe, I treated him to a pasta lunch.
Wright: Well, it's your own fault that his salary is so low!
Edgeworth: H-How is it my fault?
Wright: And if you're going to treat him to lunch, at least buy him something decent!
Edgeworth: Well I did order him some parmasen cheese on it. He was crying tears of joey as he ate it. It was quite moving. Besides, he is used to eating noodles everyday.

It was almost as good as the sparta reference.

I'm just replaying it because i'm bored and i've already beaten every case in the 3 games so far, can't wait to apollo justice which may be released in Feb 08*

*Not confirmed yet.

ChronosMagnum

Smash Apprentice
I don't mean to falter people's expectations but, I've heard that apollo justice isn't gonna be as great as before..

On more brighter news, I'm currently molding myself into T&T and is seeming very interesting.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
I'm a spoilerholic. Honestly, biggest one I've ever met.

I got Trials and Tribulations for Chritmas, and I'm only on the first case.

So it's taking EVERY INCH OF MY WILLPOWER not to look at all these spoilers. :urg::urg::urg:

Best series for the Nintendo DS by far.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'm a spoilerholic. Honestly, biggest one I've ever met.

I got Trials and Tribulations for Chritmas, and I'm only on the first case.

So it's taking EVERY INCH OF MY WILLPOWER not to look at all these spoilers. :urg::urg::urg:

Best series for the Nintendo DS by far.
Common, one peek won't hurt. :)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Common, one peek won't hurt. :)
You called?

And go ahead and look at the spoilers. DO IT! The plot is sooooo good you have no idea what you're missing. It's better to just get to the final "Oh my gosh!" momment rather than having to suffer through the looong storyline.

That last paragraph was a shabby attempt at reverse psychology, by the way.

I'm not expecting Apollo Justice to be on par with the first and third Phoenix Wright games. As long as it is better than the second game I think we'll be alright.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
You called?

And go ahead and look at the spoilers. DO IT! The plot is sooooo good you have no idea what you're missing. It's better to just get to the final "Oh my gosh!" momment rather than having to suffer through the looong storyline.

That last paragraph was a shabby attempt at reverse psychology, by the way.

I'm not expecting Apollo Justice to be on par with the first and third Phoenix Wright games. As long as it is better than the second game I think we'll be alright.
Yeah the second game was OK, I just think that the third game is the best, following by the first and then the second game.

I'm hoping that Apollo Justice will improve and become the best in the series.

I love raising objections in the games and then everyone goes crazy, pretty intense moments where the defense and the prosecution at throwing objections at each other and they do their animations. :D
The music is really good as well.

EDIT: Oops I just realized that I typed "common, one peek won't hurt", I meant to type "C'mon, one peek won't hurt". Sorry for the confusion commonyoshi! :(

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*Bump*

Read the full article here: http://kotaku.com/343828/no-objections-to-apollo-justice-in-february

"CAPCOM'S APOLLO JUSTICE: ACE ATTORNEY COMING TO NORTH AMERICA ON FEBRUARY 12
Test the Compelling Court Room Adventure Yourself with Free Online Demo
SAN MATEO, Calif. -- January 9, 2008 - Capcom® Entertainment, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced that the latest installment of its highly popular courtroom drama series, Apollo Justice™: Ace Attorney™ is scheduled for release in North America on February 12, 2008. The first Ace Attorney game developed specifically for Nintendo DS™, this is the fourth title in the series and will feature all new characters, including new defense attorney Apollo Justice. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney has been rated T for Teen by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB)."

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*Bump again*

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/762

SAN MATEO, Calif. - January 9, 2008 - Capcom® Entertainment, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced that the latest installment of its highly popular courtroom drama series, Apollo Justice™: Ace Attorney™ is scheduled for release in North America on February 19, 2008. The first Ace Attorney game developed specifically for Nintendo DS™, this is the fourth title in the series and will feature all new characters, including new defense attorney Apollo Justice. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney has been rated T for Teen by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB).

It got delayed a week! :(

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I just finished case 5 of T&T today. And, to be honest... I wasn't all that impressed. Everyone was talking about how it was the best case in any of the games by far, but I liked case 4 from JFA a lot more. This case 5 just wasn't as epic, I guess... not that it was bad, or anything, I really liked how it tied everything up. It makes me kind of sad, honestly... in the words of that guy from penny arcade, it's like eating a pie - you thoroughly enjoyed it, but you eventually come to realize, the pie is GONE. It's hard to imagine all my car rides from here on out, taking place without Phoenix Wright at my side. Having people call you "Justice" doesn't sound... well, "Wright" if you'll excuse the pun <_< Plus, he just looks weird. I don't like him from playing that demo at all.

That said, I'll still pick the game up when it comes out. I'd play an actually bad game if it somehow allowed me to learn more about Phoenix Wright, and I'm sure Apollo Justice won't be bad, per se. I'm definitely looking forward to it now that I won't be able to get Brawl until March...

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Just played the Apollo Justice demo. So far it seems pretty good, Apollo and his cords of steel are awesome, and so is
Hobonix

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Hey everyone, you got your copies of Apollo Justice? I did and I'm currently on the 2nd case! I would have never guessed who the killer was in the 1st case!

Still, I prefer T&T and the 1st game over this one but still, it's better than the 2nd one!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*Bump*

I beat Apollo Justice 2 weeks ago, really good game. It's the best in the series right now IMO followed by the first, third and second game.

I really loved the last case because you
got to do stuff in the past and present.

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
*Bump*

I beat Apollo Justice 2 weeks ago, really good game. It's the best in the series right now IMO followed by the first, third and second game.

I really loved the last case because you
got to do stuff in the past and present.
Really? Best in the series? Oh man, the only game I don't have is Apollo Justice and that's because I'm strapped for cash from Brawl. Anyways, here's a lame Phoenix Wright video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_FEvS2Bl5s .

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I read about that on court-records yesterday. Looks so sick, I wanna prosecute! No release date through.

Top Bottom