• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PEACH!

4nonymous

Banned via Warnings
I have gone to 3 tournaments so far and two of them have ended with the evil floating murderer. Help.
Same here. Peach is literally the worst thing in anything.
But like most people, say here, learn the matchup, or either find a secondary you're already good with to combat her.
Try Marth or Jigglypuff.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Don't focus on counterpicking her, having a results based mindset is pretty bad in regards to development.

Counterpick wars are also a bad trap to try and fall into.

4nonymous

Banned via Warnings
Don't focus on counterpicking her, having a results based mindset is pretty bad in regards to development.

Yeah. I just try my hardest to learn the matchup and be done with it. ;-;

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion

I always go back and forth on this. I think at mid level, it's definitely worth working on the match-up. It's a useful exercise in replacing your automatic/instinctual habits with carefully constructed, top-down strategy.

But it never gets less frustrating; I know there are some high-level ICs who claim they actually enjoy or even excel at the Peach match-up, but I think results tend to tell a different story. In my opinion, having a strong, versatile secondary might be the best way to go if your goal is to win large tournaments. It's a long term goal of mine to bring my Fox up to the same level as my ICs. Although I think really any high tier would work, Fox seems the most promising for me against Peach.

derdian

Smash Cadet
Counterpicking is definitely a viable strategy, but imo you have to understand the game at a pretty high level and you need to put in a lot of work. Recently I've been trying to essentially dual main since I believe it is the future, with IC's and falcon. I have played nothing but falcon for the last few months (yes you should be playing your new character almost exclusively or you won't see results) and have been putting in significant work with it treating it like its my main.

I've pretty much played 90% falcon in friendlies/MM's and used IC's almost only in tournament (I realized that playing falcon seriously has helped my IC's neutral game a ton and has made them better). Just recently have I finally taken sets off of a peach player that I used to lose to all the time in tournament, and even won when he counterpicked fox in the set (you definitely need to learn all the matchups with your secondary and treat it as a second main, I think my falcon is getting pretty close to my IC's). If you are willing to put in the work with a secondary and level it up to the same level as your main it is definitely worth it to go for counterpick wars.

Aside from this I can't help you with the peach matchup since I abandoned dumb matchups that exploit nana (peach samus) because I don't think its worth it. I think dual maining is for sure viable and maybe even better than solo maining cuz you see the game from different perspectives and you can cover all matchups. Idk what skill level you are at but if you aren't a beginner and want to put in the time then go for it.

Edit: I would say this post is true for anyone reading this and debating on using a secondary for hard matchups. It is definitely possible but you need to put in a ton of work, you can't just play a character here or there and expect results in tournament

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
there are serious strengths and weaknesses of dual maining that need to be taken into account.
There are plenty of people who do it successfully, but I, in my personal experience with it and interacting with players who do it, find it to be rather toxic to mentality.

I don't feel like playing to win is the best mindset for improvement, but I also don't believe in telling people how to play the game, that is a very intimate and personal experience that demands a lot of growth and everyone approaches it differently.
To me, results are arbitrary until at least the top level.

derdian

Smash Cadet
You're right it is really all up to the player. It is true that I want to win, but at the same time I just love playing both of these characters and that's a big part of why I do it, I can't speak for others :>

Top Bottom