• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Peach and other random Discussion (Social Thread)

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Clawing (specifically with Peach) allows you more control over how you move in your float while doing moves. To illustrate it more cleanly, if you're using the standard grip, while doing your float aerials, you would need to have your thumb holding the Y/X button while using it to press A for your aerials. Depending on the aerial and whether you're moving in your float, you would also need to use your thumb to move in a direction while using the same thumb to choose the direction of your aerial. All of which is very inconvenient and inefficient and limits how/when you can float. Alternatively, once entering float you can hold up on the control stick to free your right thumb to just press A, but then float downair becomes more difficult, as well as just choosing the direction of your aerials/fast falling your FCs.

With claw, you can dedicate one sole finger to staying in float (X/Y), one finger to the direction of your aerials while floating (cstick) and one finger to moving back and forth with float (the control stick). For FC nairs you can bring your thumb up to A pretty easily, and for grabbing, I've had no issue switching my finger from the jump button I'm using to Z. Overall I think claw is a LOT better with Peach in particular, but at the end of the day, your comfort is the most important thing.

Last edited:

Smooches

Smash Rookie
Clawing sounds like a practical solution to some of the float inputs biggest challenges.

It really comes down to what you're comfortable with. Having played with standard controls for many years and practicing float mechanics, I don't have any problems playing standard.

ValiantNorth

Matrix Speedruns
Clawing sounds like a practical solution to some of the float inputs biggest challenges.

It really comes down to what you're comfortable with. Having played with standard controls for many years and practicing float mechanics, I don't have any problems playing standard.
Totally true, while not being a 'Pro' or even acceptably good I find I have lots of trouble with positioning and more particularly: Inputs.

I think @ ShroudedOne ShroudedOne makes a good point though - Claw would help A LOT with control and just basically keeping float up. I find my current default grip has me often being hesitant to make attacks due to incorrect finger positioning.

Smooches

Smash Rookie
Claw gives you another finger on the buttons, so, in theory, it allows for faster/more button pressing.

It truly depends on what feels more comfortable. @ Cuno Cuno if you think it might help you, then give it a try! Just remember that one option isn't inherently better than the other, and ultimately choose the one that feels "right."

Either way, it still takes a lot of practice to be fast and fluid.

Competitive smash is crazy fun, but don't forget it's hard!

Cuno

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input everyone!! Claw sounds really interesting and I'm hoping it will open up options that were awkward before. I just don't want to mess myself up before playing this weekend :p

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
What are some other benefits to the claw option? Honestly with Peach it doesn't seem all that beneficial like other characters in melee

YuMelon

Smash Rookie
Goin to stop lurking to say that i've been trying to learn claw still cant get used to it... :( small hand life..

that combo doe

Last edited:

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
melee combos and follow ups are so hype and fun to watch/pull off.
Peach has some really fun and simple ones imo

YuMelon

Smash Rookie
Is z droping a turnip between jumping off stage and floating close to ledge for edge gaurd a good option to try learning? like.. people recovering under the ledge?

LifeMakesMeLOL

Smash Rookie
I do a hybrid of both grips. I hold the controller normally, but switch to claw whenever I'm floating or go for any FC aerial except nair. It took a little while to get used to, but works best for me and switching is natural now.
Is z droping a turnip between jumping off stage and floating close to ledge for edge gaurd a good option to try learning? like.. people recovering under the ledge?
Yes, it's especially great for edgeguarding Marth. Really easy too just float out a bit, Z drop, and then fall back in to grab ledge.

C3H8

Smash Rookie
I'm not really a fan of claw style, mainly because I have fat thumbs, so it's easier for me to just place my thumb on x and a at the same time and slide my thumb. It's better for instafloat Nair in my opinion.

ECTO

Smash Rookie
Ran into a interesting situation today at a tournament. I was against a Marth, which is usually a hard matchup for me. But I can usually manage to do ok against Marths around my level. Today however, I ran into Marth who had a very campy playstyle, especially on Battlefield. What he would do it stay on the side platforms and wait for my move. I had a lot of trouble dealing with this situation. I couldn't get Turnips thrown over at his platform placement. I tried to get on the opposite platform and throw turnips from there, but he would quickly go underneath and shark me out. And if I tried to get center stage he had a lot of stage control from platform drops.

I know to maybe avoid Battlefield next time I meet this player, but does anyone have any tips on this situation?

ludecoli

Smash Rookie
Guys, I went to my first tourney this weekend and I couldn't dash most of the time, like 80% of the time. I couldn't chaingrab fox (which I practiced my heart out) I also noticed I couldn't d-smash lots of times, so I just stood there like a silly lady.

Anyone have experienced this? Was it my nerves? Or my TV has a different input time? Idk. help!

Last edited:

ECTO

Smash Rookie
Practicing in your living room you feel like the slickest player around. But in tournament everything seems to go by so fast. It's just a matter of getting used to it. Or maybe it could of been genuine, display lag. What type of TV were they using CRTs?

ludecoli

Smash Rookie
they used CRTs, I use a LCD for training (yeah I know) but the only thing that didn't work were dashes and dsmashes, I find it very odd.

ECTO

Smash Rookie
Any tips against Luigi? It was really my first time playing a good Luigi player yesterday and it wasn't exactly easy. At first I confused from a few of his options that I had never encountered before. Like his ability to double aerials on shield. Best stages to bring Luigi? I first picked Dreamland but much like Peach he survived for a very long time. I also had a hard time edgeguarding him, got caught a few times by his side-B.

Is is just not a good matchup? Any tips?

Zappdos

Smash Cadet
Is fast-falling out of parasol considered specialfall/a state that v-Cancelling is applicable?

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone! Not sure if this is a cool place to post this, or if it seems like I'm "advertising", but please vote for MacD for Smash Summit! MacD is a solo Peach main currently ranking #16 2015 MIOM rankings, making him the second best Peach in the world. If he was able to attend, we'd be able to see a lot more Peach play, as right now Armada is the only Peach invited, and he currently dual mains Fox. Right now he's currently sitting in the elimination area, meaning if he doesn't get enough votes before the deadline, he will not be invited D: If you want to see as much Peach as possible at the Summit, please vote for MacD! :D

Vote Here: https://smash.gg/tournament/smash-summit/details

Charlie.

Smash Rookie
Yo can someone hit me up with the exact inputs and approximate speed for insta float cancel nairs? attempting to switch mains.

ECTO

Smash Rookie
Oooh that is sick. I'd say most Peaches are lazy and go for bair or downsmash if they are facing the wrong way.

ctrlaltdefeat

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KF2MZuMF-U

2:22 that's sooo cool. i know ppl all know this is possible but why do ppl still not do DJ OOS stuff?
because djl out of shield by itself takes 8 frames after the hit stun of whatever move they just hit your shield with. so if you went to djl grab them behind you out of shield youd have to. wait for hit stun to be over --> djl for 8 frames* --> turn around for 1 frame and then grab for 7. Total of 16 frames and its fairly difficult to get all of that frame perfectly. So now instead lets just nair out of shield. 6 frames of jump squat after hit stun --> float for 1 frame --> nair comes out on 3. boom you just saved yourself 6 frames and did a much easier input.

*the 8 frames is not my research i just looked it up. the person said that for some reason do to the way peach's body contorts from grounded jump she needs to wait 1 frame to djl

Pazuzu

Smash Rookie
Almost. DJL actually takes 7. If you input the second jump on the last frame of jumpsquat, i.e. frame 5, you'll enter your double jump right out of your jumpsquat, which means you can input a ground move as soon as frame 7 and have the move start as soon as frame 8.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Hey! :) Not much discussion takes place in this thread anymore so I recommend posting in the smashcords discord for Peach if you're looking for the social side of the equation. There's also Peach R&D on Facebook.

Top Bottom