• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena Momentum Saving: New Super Speed Tech

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
When using Palutena's Super Speed it is possible to use the momentum after an upsmash. Basically she can store her Super speed momentum after a jump cancelled up-smash.

You do not have to up-smash at the beginning of the Super Speed.
Dash attack must be at the beginning of a dash for the full effect.

SuperSpeed>jump cancelled up-smash

You can wait and save the momentum until you want to jump. Or you can dash attack. If you stop the animation is similar the same from the end of Super Speed. If you see this then the stored momentum is gone. You can do other moves. Your only restrictions are that you can't jump or stop a dash.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
So... does it work with Tap Jump off? Or do I need to circumvent that by inputing Up+X+A during Super Speed?
My Tap Jump is off. You can still up-smash but you will not save any momentum. So you need to press Up+X/Y+A to preserve the momentum.

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
So you need to input Up+X+A during Super Speed to preserve the momentum just like you need to use Up+Y+B to Up B out of shield with Tap Jump off. Good to know.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Can you only cancel it with an upsmash, and does it have to be jump cancelled to work?
It has to be a jump cancelled up smash. A regular up smash will not work. I'm not sure if there is a way to do an up-tilt out of SS.
I've tried other things like grabbing and dodging out but those do not work from what I've seen. Dash attack is the one move that is significantly improved after the save.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Jump cancelled Up-b might be worth trying (any of the 3 customs). Since you keep your momentum out of a jump, the jump-cancelling seems to keep your momentum as well, so it might transfer to the Upb as well.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
That is a pretty cool find.

Though I can't come up with a practical use for it that much. There is always styling.

It's too bad you can't do a JC grab with this though. That would have been sick.

Wicked Roar

Smash Rookie
Anyone try this? So im doing super speed then jump canceling up smash but not sure what to do afterwards. nothing I do after the jc upsmash has super speed momentum. any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Is your tap jump off? If it is, input it as the following and you'll get it every time:

Side B, Hold Up, X~A.

(X~A means slide your thumb from X to A really fast). With some practice, it's easy. It's practical uses are kinda low though so don't worry if you can't get it.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Superspeed aint the regular B attack i assume?, i guess custom moves really does make interesting things towards the game^^

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
just noticed this lol and i got the timing down.. doesn't seem to work for the second jump when you walk off the edge.. though it would be a nice trick to catch people off guard and try and Dair them with the momentum though that dash momentum will help it be harder to punish..

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I was discussing this with a friend, which led to me experimenting a bit more. Couple of findings:

-- JC item toss stores speed (any throw direction). idea by @Fox Is Openly Deceptive
-- Counter doesn't need to be short hopped, full hop will store speed too.

If this has been mentioned before I apologise, I haven't really been paying close attention to the social thread or anything haha.

Last edited:

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if known but thought I would share, if you use this tech, you can basically do sliding up smashes at "DACUS" distances by just inputting a running up smash. disappears if you jump though

Top Bottom